Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Holy crap Opera 10 is FAST. Facebook has never felt this responsive. What're some good pages to test out javascript performance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Shazzner posted:

Opera 10 sounds great, but I'm probably going to wait until it gets a stable release since I use opera mail and once you switch over you can't go back.

Install it in a seperate directory. That way you can check it out.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Sergeant Hobo posted:

Isn't Digg heavy on Javascript?

I don't usually goto digg, so I guess I'll check it out.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

hobolooter posted:

I'm still getting many random issues with Facebook, GMail, and SA. All of these sites I tend to frequent on a regular basis. Opera tends to do things to piss me off, but having pages fail to work properly is just really obnoxious. An example is posting to someones wall on facebook, it doesn't show up. So I mashed the enter key thinking it was just slow and it posted like 7 times. GMail often gets stuck between inbox and compose, which is just a hassle to refresh.

Opera is still my preferred and default browser, I just wish they'd fix the little things. I also think all my problems stem from the javascript engine. Maybe they sacrificed stability for speed? Who knows.

The facebook wonkiness was fixed a few releases ago, you should probably upgrade.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Whenever I try to view a streaming video, it ends abruptly after the first few seconds.

I'm using Opera 10 beta.

What's going on? :(

Had this issue too. Just started randomly happening about 2-3 days ago. Updated to the latest build fixed it for me

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

sm8000 posted:

:aaaaa:

I just learned something new today!

gently caress I love opera. Using it for I don't know how many years now and still finding out neat tricks with it.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ufarn posted:

Opera 10.0 beta is being incredible wonky. The newest snafu is reducing the quality of pictures, as if they'd been through 50 Paint conversions. It also hangs in terms of bandwidth on occasion.

Anyone with the same issues?

Another strange thing; I'm pretty sure it didn't save some of my bookmarks, but that's speculation I can't prove - unfortunately.

Why are you using turbo mode?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ufarn posted:

Ah. I set it to automatic, and I guess it must have kicked in when the inexplicable slow-down kicked in.

I'll turn it off for good, then.

EDIT: Where the heck do you disable it? There's no icon no a Turbo option under Quick Preferences (probably because it isn't on by auto currently.

Click on the icon so that it turns black? Reload any pages you have open.

Right click icon for prefs.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ufarn posted:

What icon? :)

Add it back in then ;)

Tools -> Appearance -> Buttons -> Status - > Drag odometer looking one to somewhere.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Mithaldu posted:

Plus, the people reading here are very much geeks for whom this is very old news. However to the normal person the concept of "I can have my friend listen to a song on my computer without waiting ten minutes to upload it to somewhere?" will be pretty amazing.

This is exactly who it's marketed to, and goes well with the whole "Opera Community" thing they have going.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Can't wait until they add in an ftp server/client :D

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

bt_escm posted:

I really don't understand who this is for. Do they think there are that many people with content that don't know how to post it somewhere?

Actually, yes.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

b0nes posted:

Am I missing something or is setting up a web server usually out of the range of an average person, and when I say average person not geeks like us who read SHSC all day.

The average person has trouble navigating websites, taking batteries out of their cellphone, etc, etc. So yes, setting up a webserver on their computer is WAY THE HELL out of their scope ;)

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Hey look, my opera10 preview cant open http://thevideobay.org/sample-video.php 's HTML5 correctly even though Opera.9.52 or higher is said to have it working. Awesome!

Looks like they are misdetecting the browser.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Casao posted:

I thought so, but that's not the case. If you mask as Firefox, it doesn't work either, and viewing the source, they pass the video tag both cases and the text you see is the fall back text - either Opera has an issue with using a bold tag in the fall back text, or video is broken in opera 10.

drat you're right, I tried masking right after I posted. Looks like video is broken :(

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Casao posted:

I'm using http://pgl.yoyo.org/adservers/ on 3 separate machines with the latest builds of Opera 10 and I don't have this elements 0/0 thing on any of them.

:waycool: thanks for that.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Casao, what script are you using that made the post background green?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Casao posted:

SALR from the OP.

Ah cool, used this a long time ago didn't know it had been updated :).

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone know if you're running opera via Proxy that is SSH tunneled if the DNS requests go over the tunnel or are they sent to the local DNS server?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

er0k posted:

the DNS requests are tunneled as well

Awesome, thanks :)

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Startacus posted:

Hey guys, I haven't checked this thread in a while and I just decided to try out the pre-alpha. I was wondering if everyone still uses Fanboy's Adblock List and the Optimised Element Filter?

http://pgl.yoyo.org/adservers/

:)

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

DuckConference posted:

This is getting annoying. Both of these links crash Opera 10.5 a few second after opening them:

http://i-r-squared.blogspot.com

http://www.calculatedriskblog.com

Works fine here as well, 10.50 upgraded a million times over since 9.something, Windows 7 x64.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
New Vulnerability found in Opera :(

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/03/05/opera_vulnerability/

No proof of concept for code execution yet.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Wheany posted:

A fix will probably be out in a day or two.

They probably still have their devs locked in a basement somewhere :D

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Never understood the concept of people complaining about browsers using their precious memory. Opera still runs really well on piss poor computers, better than any other browser I've played with in any case.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Every time I use Chrome I'm always left feeling "If it only did X like Opera". Glad to hear it's going to be webkit based. We'll be getting the best of both worlds I hope.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
The freakin' mobile update screwed up all my Folders. They're all in one giant flat file now. Is there any way to fix that and put them back into Folders?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Mithaldu posted:

140 tabs.

Why?!?! :gonk:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I really hope Vivaldi turns out to be a great browser with all/most of the same features of Opera 12.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Dunno how some of you can use vivaldi. It feels like a step back even from Chropera or whatever :p.

It's DPI font scaling is attrocious

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
That's next gen font scaling ;)

I've also been using chromopera for ages now and haven't really looked back at 12.xx

The only thing I miss are the scalable tabs and certain per website settings you could do in 12.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I have no idea how you can use Vivaldi. It somehow manages to be a step back even compared to Opera Chrome Edition. It's slower and clunkier and has even worse Hi-DPi support. I've moved from Opera 12 for some time now and the only thing I miss is Big Tab Mode.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

YF-23 posted:

That is a kind of stupid comparison to make though. The speed of opening and closing tabs is vastly unimportant to how quick the browser is at everything that actually has to do with dealing with page content (yet more importantly, how able the browser is at doing that in the first place). Make a comparison test with that, grab 5 or 10 commonly used websites and see how well Opera 12 vs Vivaldi does. Because viewing websites is why you are using a browser, not opening or closing tabs.

You're wrong on this though. The entire UX needs to be speedy, period. Anything else leads to a bad UX. I'd argue that moving around the interface is of more importance than rendering speed. Specifically when you're dealing with people who have 80+ things open at once. I know some of you have some weird/twisted soft spot for Vivaldi at the moment, but as far as UX goes, it fails pretty badly.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
YF-23. I think you're missing the point of what some of us are saying.

It's great that Vivaldi can render pages properly, like any modern browser should and that Opera 12 is starting to get long in the tooth. Where Vivaldi fails at is pretty much all other aspects of the UX (tab switching, tab opening, generally getting around the browser, etc). It'll probably get some speedup, but at its core it's going to be a slow pile of poop. Personally, I'd almost prefer faster UX vs. 100% Web Page Rendering :).

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Riso posted:

I think we all just stopped using Chrompera.

Not entirely true ;)

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
So I just switched from Chrome Opera to Vivaldi Chrome and so far I like it, especially since adblock and lastpass work properly now. Performance is a bit wonky on my laptop when it's on battery but otherwise quite solid. Very happy they fixed blurry text on HI-DPI screens.

That buyout makes me squeamish so I guess it's a good thing I'm switching over :q:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
YouTube works just fine without Flash FYI.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Godamnit I just realized I'll probably have to ditch Opera on mobile :(. It's the best godamn browser by a LONG shot. No one else's auto word wrap comes close to how good Opera's is.

Anyone have any good alternative browsers for Android?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Making it Rain posted:

Couldn't work out how to check this ffdshow, most i could find was a link to codecguide with 101 different guide's.

Anyhow i've gotten over trying to work this issue out and gone back to FF, it's a drat nice browser but this sound issue was driving me banana's trying to fix.

it's the only browser that has given me this sound/video issue, sure i'd expect this type of issue on my *nix machine but not on win7

But yeah thanx for the tips/suggestions much appreciated. :)

Do you have any of those stupid codec packs installed? Also what kind of CPU are you on? Is the machine a laptop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Making it Rain posted:

Normal PC tower, none codec's installed, only did a clean re-install of win7 like 2 weeks ago. VLC is installed as that handles all my audio/video needs.

That's really weird. I had an issue with sound on my laptop when on battery because Vivaldi would use 100% CPU but that's about it. Probably some weird bug between your sound driver and the browser.