Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Apparently we're only a week away from the start of a new beta cycle for 10.0 with the updated rendering engine.

http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2008/11/28/the-baby-falcon-is-preparing-for-flight#comments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Magicmat posted:

Edit: Two bugs have popped back up: The disappearing favicons on the personal bar, and the never-ending loading of certain webpages, though this last one in a milder form. At least I haven't gotten any mixed-up graphics so far, or webpages that refuse to load past their background. Also, there seems to be a bug that causes a weird page-wide graphic to pop-up on certain pages when you scroll or move the mouse. Since this same graphic appears on multiple sites, I can only assume it's some internal diagnostic graphic in the rendering engine (maybe signaling redraw areas?) that didn't get turned off for release.

The perpetual loading on these forums from the i-frame ads isn't back, right? It took us until 2/3rds through the 9.1 cycle to ditch that one last time :(

Is that page-wide graphic a gray/white checkerboard? If so, then that's the behavior of Opera Mobile, on which, yes, it signals redraw areas.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Perhaps your Status Bar has been modified to be without the Status Field?

Use Tools | Appearance | Buttons and try to add it back
I just verified that "Status Field" is what you want.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Jale posted:

Click the text that says "staus field" and drag it to the bottom of the screen.

What he said, yeah.

Opera toolbar customization works by dragging stuff (like the items in the Appearance dialog) to the toolbars and dropping them there. My guess is that at some point you right clicked the "status field" part of the status bar and hit "remove from toolbar" or some config otherwise corrupted itself to do the equivalent.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I used the beta for a couple weeks on my laptop during the holiday and didn't run into any issues at all, which is drat good for an alpha. Has anyone found any real reason not to just start using 10.x series now?

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
http://operawiki.info/CustomButtons#menu

You're right; you can't customize it. However, you can kill it and recreate it to a fairly large degree as part of another bar via some hacky custom buttons. Their behavior as "menus" isn't perfect when finished, but it works okay if you rarely use them.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Well, you could use that link above to put the feeds menu on whatever other toolbar in button form if you like.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2009/01/13/new-year-snapshot

New Weekly is up. The changelist isn't huge or exciting, but when the lsat "Alpha" was already so stable, what else could you want? :)

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Piney posted:

I have a weird thing going on with Opera running version 9.63 under Windows 7 build 7000. When I hit the middle mouse button to quickscroll, it looks like this:

Every now and then it will "refresh" so I see what's actually under there. This is with an ATI X800 running the latest Vista drivers, so I know I shouldn't expect too much. Is this Opera, my video card or just plain old Windows beta? Anyone have the same problem?

I definitely don't have that problem using 10.0 alpha under Win7.7000 with an Nvidia card/drivers, for what it's worth. You can try the alpha for the unlikely event that's the difference, but otherwise I'd guess it's the drivers.

I've seen that problem running in XP with 9.x but only when scrolling through something like a crashed plugin content item that isn't drawing. Whole pages shouldn't do it.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Well, at least that answers my question of "What have they been doing for the past month where we've had no new builds even though the ones they gave were already nearly perfect and releasable?" Sounds good.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
That's pretty much my main mode of operations and I haven't had an issue with it on 9 or 10 in xp or 10 in win7.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Haha somehow I never thought of that for that particular instance either. :gonk:

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Check the paths in opera:about to ensure that a) you did remove everything b) it's not looking somewhere else for the cache?

Otherwise, you've got me. I've never seen that since the early 9 alphas.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
To be fair it did also partly break digg and facebook, which may be blockers of known issues to folks here.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
It would generally help I think if Opera wouldn't pop up those, tooltips, or other hover things while it's not the active window.

Even so, I leave it on though. :)

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Maybe we're getting close to RC/final.

That user agent business is absolutely hillarious though. It's like nobody learned anything from y2k (okay, nothing really happened in y2k, but still...)

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Casao posted:

This has a UserJS to do it. It's about 3 down, Let Me See Images.

Thanks for this link. I had another UserJS that did the alt->title thing, but not the "let me see" part, so this replaces it. Perhaps now waffleimages outages will be visible to me, instead of being forced to infer missing images from quoted context. Further, I think I might find a use for some of the others here.

[edit]Test:

[edit2] I don't see anything. What's wrong? :(

Lakitu7 fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jun 1, 2009

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

ixpfah posted:

Yeah, I've noticed that not all broken picture links are made "visible". No idea why, and it blows. Some links do show up, though, but not all of them. At least it's not that links that don't exist doesn't show, while images that simply isn't loaded (for some reason) gets that "no image to show" icon. I was just in a photoshop thread, and both the pictures with the "no image to show" icon and those that didn't show at all could be loaded by right clicking and "show image".

So to sum up: Thanks for the link, Casoa, but it's not flawless.

When you quote my post, it does show up. My working hypothesis is that it only works when there's are HEIGHT/WIDTH tags, but I think that's also true of Opera without the script?

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I don't know; I run a stupid amount of tabs and just putting the tab-bar on the left side seems like it does everything I want it to do. My only real complaint is that it takes a while to close/open but it's not like I ever close it or reboot anyway.

For those using the beta, this visual tab thing is fully optional, right?

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Plorkyeran posted:

I used to do that, then I realized the Window panel is both more space efficient and usable once you have enough tabs open.

Hmm, this looks good for saving space, but is there any way to sort it besides alpha-by-title? I'd like it to just be in some order-opened / user-specified order like the tabbar, so I don't have to look for certain tabs in different places each time.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Oh, I see. That's a little odd but it works. Now I wish I could scroll it to the left just a little bit instead of having ~1cm wasted space for an indent, but it's still an improvement over the tab bar.

Thanks.

[edit] On the plus side, this is also convenient to turn on/off with F4 or the little button.

Lakitu7 fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jun 4, 2009

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

thrawn86 posted:

/boggle.

its the single greatest mouse gesture there is. A part of me dies every time I see someone with 8 firefox WINDOWS open, manually clicking in between each of them AND clicking on back/forward buttons instead of using mouse side buttons or the freaking backspace key (on a laptop anyway).

also, nerd rage at people who don't use ctrl-tab and ctrl-t, for laptops.

Know any way to put it in tab order instead of MRU? That's why I don't use it.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

gret posted:

Has anyone else noticed that websites will often get confused about which country you're browsing from if you visit the site using Opera?

For example, even though I'm in the U.S., Microsoft's Bing search engine thinks that I'm browsing from China, eBay thinks I'm browsing from somewhere in Europe, and MegaUpload thinks that I'm browsing from Germany.

Meanwhile, none of this confusion occurs if I'm using, say, Safari on the same computer with the same IP address.

Do you have Turbo on? I'm just guessing but that would be a logical cause of issues like this.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Open your sound card mixer and mute anything you're not currently using, even if you don't have one: e.g. mic, cd, aux, line-in, any tv tuners, etc. Hope that it goes away. If not, I think it's just noisy hardware and you live with it or buy new hardware. I used to have this on one laptop. I mostly just grew to enjoy it, but I did eventually find that muting the tv card audio made it like 10% its original strength.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
from my experience, disabling smooth scrolling will change it more to a peep peep peep instead of a peeeeeeeeep :)

NashAsh posted:

I muted it and the sound is still there. Like you said, it's probably just noisy hardware. I cranked the volume up on the speakers and now I can hear it on Firefox and IE too.

It's kind of funny that Opera makes a scraping sound, while Firefox makes the same scraping sound but at a lower volume. IE makes a screeching sound at the same volume as Firefox, all tested on the same page.

Is it still there when you mute absolutely *everything*? Or is that what you meant?

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I mostly read it as they're just being cocky about Opera 10 release, as opposed to something new and great. I mean, I hope this means we're getting the gpu-based rendering stuff soon, but the timing seems more like we're going to turn this RC to Final and act like its incremental improvements are revolutionary.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Mithaldu posted:

I actually think that if it's usable and simple enough it might gain some traction. One of the main problems nowadays with everyone being behind a router and two firewalls, with no idea how to configure either of them is that most people have no idea how to easily share files with other people, which leads to people using such horrible shitholes as rapidshare or megaupload. If this can circumvent that problem, it'd be really neat.

This is my thinking too. Yes, there's nothing here that hasn't been done before, but it's bundling a simple web/media/app server with a friendly interface and an included NAT-traversal tech. If that NAT-traversal actually works well (I'm thinking Hamachi-level good), this will be amazing for non-technical users and occasionally-convenient for technical ones.

For the former category, however, note that its utility to Grandma also relies on Grandma having enough bandwidth to run any sort of server, i.e. not being on dialup, which unfortunately rules it out in my family :(.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Sergeant Hobo posted:

Just installed this. The default skin has gotten a blue-ish tint (somewhere between an actual blue and a gray). I kind of liked the previous one but this one seems OK too.

Did you look in the skin options? You can probably choose a tint and put it back if you want.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
New weekly today. At least when I look at the rightclick+scrollwheel tab list in the native skin it's not black text on black background anymore :)

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

turtle_07 posted:

The forums "double back" problem is back for me with Opera 10.

Any ideas when opera unite is going to join the main build?

That's really odd. I've used every weekly of Opera 10 and haven't had that problem in months-- and definitely not right now. That sucks though. That bug drove me nuts for the longest time. :(

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Blue Moonlight posted:

So, I use Opera at work and we develop CMS solutions for our clients. The text editor we use is TinyMCE, and after either the Alpha or Beta 1, TinyMCE loading seems to be adding a bunch of Javascript calls to the History whenever it loads. Suffice to say, thus makes the back button almost useless on any of these pages. Any ideas on how to surpress JS events from being added to the history? Thanks!

See if the stuff here helps you. Specifically, you'd change the global setting in opera:config and see if it works for that site, then probably make a userjs to change it for that site only (they really should add this to Site Preferences).
http://www.opera.com/support/kb/view/827/

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

GobyWan posted:

I may be the only person in the world who uses tabs on the left, but hopefully one of you guys can answer this: with the tab bar aligned left and set to wrap to multiple lines, does everyone else have a space at the bottom of the bar that won't fill with tabs? It's about 2 tabs tall maximized, but if I resize the window it can be as small as 1 tab high - resizing smaller than that causes a tab to hop to the next line and makes the space 2 tabs high again.

This was not a problem in 9.64, but both a clean 10 install and an upgrade from 9.64 have the same issue. Any idea how to reclaim that space, or is this a bug that Opera needs to fix?

Edit: a bit of testing shows that it's exactly the height of the New Tab button and the extender menu >> button put together. Why are those having space saved for them when I've removed the first and turned the second off by selecting wrap to multiple lines? Beats me.

If you need space that much, try using the Window list panel instead of the regular tab bar. It's functionally the same with much smaller text to fit more tabs, and you can toggle in on/off with at an instant.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Sure that would fix it but I don't understand why it's only necessary for a subset of users? I haven't seen that issue in half a year or more, without disabling inline frames or using any relevant userjs.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Doesn't Opera use its own UI toolkit? Give it time...

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
http://files.myopera.com/Rijk/blog/extensions.html

I accidentally found this link recently. It may help people looking for equivalents to various extensions.

[edit] I have no idea why opera freaks out and acts like this is some terrible volatile file when it's clearly an html file

Lakitu7 fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Oct 23, 2009

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
10.10 final is out

http://www.opera.com/download/

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/opera-10-20-goes-alpha

The first 10.20 alpha is out, but if you don't use widgets, there is absolutely nothing of interest.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
We haven't had any new build for a couple of weeks now. They must be working on something big, though knowing them lately it'll probably be yet another widgets thing. :(

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Even if you don't have the bookmarks showing up in there, won't you still have pages from those sites show up from the searches through history? I forget which vaguely-named opera:config item it is but I disabled the dropdown entirely mostly for similar reasons-- even just browsing the forums can produce some thread titles that are embarrassing to non-goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2009/12/17/christmas-comes-early-for-opera-users

quote:

While everyone is off for Christmas vacation, the desktop team is working hard on preparing a nice holiday gift for Opera users. On December 22nd we will release a 10.5 pre-alpha. We'll keep it a surprise for now, but the keyword is: speed.

Sounds like the long silence has had them working on a new something or other. Maybe hardware acceleration finally?