Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GuyGizmo
Feb 26, 2003

stupid babies need the most attention
I just tried out the Mac version of Opera 10. Sadly it looks exactly the same as Opera 9 (didn't they hire Jon Hicks to fix the look of the Mac version? Maybe his influence isn't being felt just yet), but it feels much faster. Because I use the email client I'm going to wait until a stable release to upgrade, but it's looking good so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuyGizmo
Feb 26, 2003

Satire Forum Mom posted:

That page line is in 9.62. You just have to enable it.
And I just did. I think it's pretty handy because I get lost in walls of text because of paging up and down all the time. Well, not all the time but enough of the time for this feature to be worthwhile.

GuyGizmo
Feb 26, 2003

It seems like all the major web browsers (except Internet Explorer obviously) are trying to write the fastest, bestest Javascript engine out there. I wonder how Carakan will measure up against the new webkit Javascript engine, or the one that'll be in Firefox that people seem to be excited about?

GuyGizmo
Feb 26, 2003

I discovered fit to width did that a while ago, and it made me very happy. Why doesn't Opera word-wrap text files to begin with? What's the justification for not doing that?

GuyGizmo
Feb 26, 2003

As lame and stupid as I know it is to feel defensive over computer software, with the upcoming release of Safari 4, I feel bad for Opera. Safari 4 has a number of new features that came directly from Opera, namely a Speed Dial knockoff and the searching-history-and-page-text-when-typing-in-the-URL-bar thing. The same is true for a lot of Firefox's and Chrome's new features, too.

Not that I have anything against copying features, because that's what people do when someone creates a cool, new feature. But the big thing I feel bad about is that rarely does anyone acknowledge Opera. Opera was the originator of almost every single major feature put in a web browser, including tabs, pop-up blocking, speed dial, search engine fields, in-page text searches, mouse gestures, and probably oodles more I'm forgetting. But do they ever get credit? Almost never.

Hell, other than Chrome's every-tab-is-a-process thing, can anyone name a single major feature in any of the other browsers that didn't originally come from Opera? (Excluding of course features that are necessary for something to be a browser at all, like HTML rendering.)

And I'm done. Sorry for being a stupid internet nerd. :shobon:

GuyGizmo
Feb 26, 2003

Sometime last night the power at my office blipped off and my computer powered off. Now that I'm back, I find that I can't check or send email in Opera anymore. When the power went off, Opera was definitely open, and it's possible (though unlikely) that it was checking my email at the time since it checks automatically every five minutes. This is in Mac OS X.

When I try to check my mail, it gets stuck at "Fetching messages" for a while, and then eventually stops checking, finding no email. If I try to send a message, it will send successfully, but then a copy of the mail with no message text but the same subject will be stuck in the Outbox folder, and everytime it automatically checks my mail or I try to send another email it sends off an extra blank copy of the email.

Anyone know what went wrong, or what I can do to fix it?

edit: Sorry, jumped the gun on this one in assuming something went wrong in opera. I did some filesystem checks, a few issues were corrected, and now things seem to be working correctly again.

GuyGizmo fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Apr 23, 2009

GuyGizmo
Feb 26, 2003

Starno posted:

Opera's frontpage is amazing today.

Doesn't look any more amazing than it usually does for me? :confused:

If you're talking about them changing it to the crappy 1994 style webpage filled with annoying animated gifs, I've seen that, but I don't get that page if I just go to www.opera.com

GuyGizmo
Feb 26, 2003

I've got an annoying problem with Opera, similar to one I posted about in this thread earlier. Once again, I can't download any of my mail. Opera will stay stuck at "Fetching messages (0/10)" for several minutes until it times out, and downloads nothing. No errors are reported anywhere, including the error console, so I have no idea what's wrong. The last time this happened I was able to fix it by using chkdsk on the NTFS partition Opera is installed on and having it fix a few minor errors, but this time that didn't make any difference.

I posted about it at the Opera forums here in case anyone wants to get more information about this bug.

Does anyone here know what's going wrong? It's really annoying not being able to check my email. :(

And for the bazillionth time, I manage to fix the problem on my own minutes after posting about it. This is happened to me countless times for tons of problems, not all of them involving Opera. Turns out that after I gave up and resorted to checking my mail via webmail and deleted some spam, everything started working again. Whatever.

GuyGizmo fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jun 22, 2009

GuyGizmo
Feb 26, 2003

Arggh, I can't download my email AGAIN. This combined with all the crashes and broken webpages is really making me want to switch to another web browser I swear!!

GuyGizmo
Feb 26, 2003

I'm still having big problems with Opera's mail client in 9.64, and I can't download my mail again. It gets stuck at the "Fetching measures (0/X)" part and doesn't report any error messages that I can use to try to get to the bottom of the issue. I used to be able to get around it by deleting spam mail in my inbox using webmail, but now all that's left in there is important messages and it still won't download. Worse yet, the problem happens on Opera across all supported platforms, and if I try to download my mail using some other POP3 mail client it works great. So something's hosed with Opera.

It all started around when my computer crashed and I had to run chkdsk on the partition that Opera's on. I have a feeling something is corrupted. Is there anyway to get Opera's mail client to rebuild all of its various data files or otherwise start over from scratch, but without losing all my emails? Or does anyone have any other suggestions?

GuyGizmo
Feb 26, 2003

Mithaldu posted:

Alternatively you could maybe try importing the emails manually into a fresh installation via the file>export/import menu.
Just tried this and it did the trick. Thanks for the tip! I didn't think I could do that at first, because there was no option to export mail before I imported it again. And then further investigation revealed it can just import mail from any existing Opera installation.

GuyGizmo
Feb 26, 2003

I take it back - it didn't work out. I just realized that all the old emails I imported are blank. Back to square one, I suppose.

edit: And I just switched back to the old Opera installation from earlier from which I imported all of my old emails, and they're blank there too. So it looks like 2 years worth of work emails just went kaputz. The only clue I have is that every time I select the email to read them, and then select another email, the icon next to the first email I selected turns from a grayed out envelope into a down arrow. Is there anything I can maybe do to recover them?

GuyGizmo fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jul 1, 2009

GuyGizmo
Feb 26, 2003

Manky posted:

Another option if you're using a Mac is to install GlimmerBlocker and set Opera's preferences to use it as a proxy. It works pretty well for me.
Does GlimmerBlocker have the ability to automatically update it's block lists?
That's a feature from other adblockers that I've wished I had for the longest time, because there's no easy and lazy way I know of to update adblock lists in Opera.

Does anyone have a preferred way to keep their adblock lists up to date automatically? Preferably in Mac OS X but I'd be interested in doing it in Windows too. Or would you say auto-updating adblock lists is a bad idea for some reason?

GuyGizmo
Feb 26, 2003

AnimalChin posted:

Has anyone gotten Unite to work? :(
My friend has. He said it took minimal effort to set up, and I could access all of the files and media on his computer in a nice little interface. It was neat.

GuyGizmo
Feb 26, 2003

Wouldn't Opera unite require forwarding a port on your router, since other people connect directly to your computer? Could that be why it doesn't work for anybody, or did Opera find a clever way to circumvent that?

GuyGizmo
Feb 26, 2003

Plorkyeran posted:

That's what the proxy servers are for. Opera connects to the unite server, then waits for requests to come. Remote person connects to the unite server, unite forwards the request to Opera via the already open connection, then sends the response back to the remote person.
Ah, now I can see why the people at Opera Software were concerned about this system. Because if they're really successful and tons of people start using Opera Unite, then their servers are going to be hammered by the vast amounts of data that will need to move through them. Hopefully they could do something clever like having Opera automatically trying to use something like UPnP to set up automatic port forwarding, and resort to the proxy if all else fails.

Doesn't explain why everyone's been having so much trouble getting this to work. Maybe software firewalls are causing people grief?

GuyGizmo
Feb 26, 2003

I admire Opera Software for trying to make running a basic webserver for accessing media and files easy and intuitive for the average home user. Given people in this thread are having difficulty, and what Mithaldu said, I have no idea how the hell they're going to pull it off, much less do it without any proxies. Good luck to them!

GuyGizmo
Feb 26, 2003

Eb posted:

Every time I download a .torrent, I get this stupid dialog:

With Opera always preselected and the "remember choice" box grayed out. Does this happen to anyone else, and is there a way to open it directly with uTorrent or at least have uTorrent preselected? I've already told it do open it with uTorrent in the Downloads preferences.

Well, there's the obvious answer about whether or not you picked "Use system default" and then tried checking "Remember choice and do not show again", assuming it becomes clickable once you select "use system default".

If not, there's always the standard trick of going to the URL opera:config, expanding the BitTorrent section, and unchecking "Enable". I think Opera will then consider torrent files as any other file it can download.

GuyGizmo
Feb 26, 2003

For some reason my copy of Opera 10 can't go to http://python.org . If I visit it in any other web browser, it loads fine, and if I enter the site's IP address, it works in Opera. But not if I use its DNS name. Anyone have any idea why?

GuyGizmo
Feb 26, 2003

Plorkyeran posted:

You're probably adblocking the domain.
Good call, but I checked my urlfilter.ini file, and I don't think there's anything in there that matches python.org. And it's not like the page tries to load and then stops - it just hangs at "Connecting to remote host python.org..." for forever, so it looks like something is preventing it from connecting at all.

GuyGizmo
Feb 26, 2003

Casao posted:

Proxy in Opera? Using Turbo?

Tried removing urlfilter.ini, restarting Opera and loading it?
Nope, nope, and nope. Tried switching out urlfilter.ini like you suggested, so it's definitely not that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuyGizmo
Feb 26, 2003

So I just got myself a new Mac, and copied over all of my Opera settings from my old Mac's home folder to my new mac. Lo and behold I discover that everything copied over fine, except all of my emails. My mail account settings, contacts, and filters are all there, but the individual emails are all gone.

Upon further investigation I find out that this is because all of the binary data files Opera uses for storing mail don't take into consideration byte order. My old Mac was a PPC G5, my new Mac is, of course, intel. And now it looks like there's no way for me to fully recover my email.

I'm trying to import the individual mbx files from my old mail account and that's not working either. It imports the individual messages and their subjects but their body is blank.

I believe this is the last straw. I'm not using Opera's mail client anymore - it sucks rear end. I've had far too many problems where all of the mail data just gets corrupted or something.