Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

Blue Moonlight posted:

Speaking of Widgets improvements, are there any widgets that anybody here actually uses?

This is handy because it's more flexible than the translation stuff built into Opera, and I think that the Google translator does a better job.

This is also a nice little replacement for your average weather applet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
Remember to submit those bugs. I've already found a few ones that I can repeat %100 and they need all the data they can get.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Given that Flash and QuickTime both support h.264 video, and are free downloads, I suspect that the licensing issues are more of a legal problem than a monetary one. Opera is using the open source gstreamer framework as a back end, and Firefox is open source from back to front, which can lead to issues.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Theora as a codec isn't terrible. The problem is that the encoding tools available are very primitive by comparison to anything that's come out of MPEG lately.

More importantly, though, can we take the religious arguments to another thread or something?

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

This article on betanews goes into some detail, including the fact that there are still licensing issues, even if nobody is technically getting charged for anything. As far as I can tell nothing has been simplified.

Someone in the comments mentioned that Google may be in the process of acquiring On2, whose VP3 codec formed the basis for Ogg Theora. Has anybody else heard of this? Because if it does happen and Google opens up all of On2's codecs (some of which are pretty drat nice), things may get real different real quick.

(Comedy "anybody else remember Ogg Tarkin" answer.)

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Lakitu7 posted:

Man, we had new builds every day and even multiple some days last week and now it's nothing since the Beta. I was getting all spoiled. :(

Betas generally need to be more stable because they're much more widely advertised. If you don't follow the Opera Desktop Team blog, it's unlikely you would have seen any of the pre-alphas, but the 10.50 beta is linked from the main Opera download page.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

I've found that the important thing when you've having crashy test versions and want to start over, is not cleaning out the program install directory, but getting rid of your configuration and profile information in your application data folder.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Anunnaki posted:

The mouse gesture for copy link still seems to be broken as well. However, they seem to have fixed the GDI leak. What's a normal memory usage for a web browser? Right now, with 7 tabs open, it's using 243 MB.

Memory usage in Opera is a tricky thing, because if you set the memory cache to "auto" it will gobble up free memory to expand the cache and make browsing faster. This is by design, obviously, and you can turn it off if you don't like it doing that.

The problem people have been seeing with the 10.50 series so far is leaks in the creation/release of GDI objects, which is an entirely different thing and unrelated to how much memory it's using.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

People upgrading from the other labs releases to beta 2 and having problems should consider backing up your bookmarks (Opera menu tab -> "Settings" -> "Import and Exports" -> "Export Opera bookmarks") and then doing a full uninstall, followed by wiping out both the install and user profile directories by hand. I just did that, as a precaution, and Beta 2 is very stable and exceedingly fast.

Yes, this is sort of a pain, but people who use alpha/beta software should be used to it by now.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Thyrus posted:

Hm, the RC is a lot less buggy but for some reason i can't get it to turn off the windows 7 taskbar jumplist. Having that on just isn't acceptable because all I get is a long list and it makes going back to the browser a real bitch.

You can make pretty much any program stop having any Win7-specific features (like jump lists and the like) by running them in Vista compatibility mode. Find the EXE or shortcut, go to the properties, then the "Compatibility" tab. This works even if the program itself doesn't have a "turn off jump lists" sort of option, like with MSN Messenger or Steam or something.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

DuckConference posted:

This is getting annoying. Both of these links crash Opera 10.5 a few second after opening them:

http://i-r-squared.blogspot.com

http://www.calculatedriskblog.com

Neither of these crash Opera for me, and I am not using an adblock list at the moment.

What version of the Flash plugin are you using? I'm using the v10.1 beta 2, for comparison's sake.

Oh hey, beta 3 is out. Maybe that's what's crashing, if you're using it?

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

DuckConference posted:

This is with the 10.5 released version. And I just updated flash and it's still happening. Maybe it has something to do with Windows 7 64-bit?

Nope, I am running Win 7 x64 as well. Still no problems.

Now, I did do a completely fresh install of 10.5, including getting rid of my user directories and starting over entirely from scratch (except the bookmarks). Maybe there's something going on there, I don't know.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Anunnaki posted:

Is anyone else having trouble with Twitter not loading correctly?

Click here for the full 1232x884 image.

No problems here. It looks like the CSS isn't loading for you. I would right-click and select "Edit Site Preferences" to make sure it's not configured to ignore CSS for Twitter or something.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

GIMMEL posted:

Welp, I just switched to chrome thanks to this.
Help me get back to opera guys. :(

If you're going to switch browsers based on how they handle one kind of mouse-click, what's the point? You'll find something trivial that's equally a "deal-breaker" in short order.

We don't really care that much what browser you use (as long as it's not IE6), so use what you like.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

KeviNguyen posted:

How much memory is this new opera using for you guys? Mine regularly pushes 600mb which is a lot more than the old version (I think). I mean, I guess I have the memory to spare, but I'm kind of OCD about it.

If you're OCD about it, you can go into Preferences -> Advanced -> History and set the memory cache to something other than "Automatic".

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Lakitu7 posted:

Well, the current RC is using only half a gig of memory instead of the slightly-over 1 gig that 10.5 release was using, so I guess those "memory improvements" added in this build are pretty significant.

Do you have the memory cache set to "automatic"? If you think Opera is using too much memory, change that to something fixed.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Just in case people miss it, this build is the same as RC3.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Speaking of Flash, the 10.1 RC2 release seems to be working a lot better with the Opera 10.52 build I'm running that the earlier versions. YMMV obviously, and make sure you run the uninstaller first.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Go to the forum options and set "Adjust the page position to the top of the requested post after the page loads" to "Off". That way the forums won't deliver the Javascript that adjusts things after the fact, and Opera will just rely on the page anchor to position the page, which is how things are supposed to work but other browsers like to gently caress it up.

Opera will probably wait until the page loads completely (i.e. all images) before it scrolls to the right spot, but this always works for me.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

c0burn posted:

Opera doesnt even load the correct page. It is caching redirects incorrectly.

To to the History tab in the Opera preferences and change "Check Documents" to "Always". See if that helps.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

gibbed posted:

This is a weird issue, but does keyboard input stop working in Opera when a UAC prompt is open for anyone else?

You mean when one opens in the background because of a different process? Because any app is going to have its keyboard input blocked if you have a UAC prompt in the foreground.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

gibbed posted:

Yeah, I mean the background.

Hasn't happened to me, no. Does the same thing not happen with other apps?

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

ChrisAsmadi posted:

How does Opera handle Mouse Button 4 and Mouse Button 5? I'd like a browser that doesn't have them hardcoded to Back/Forward.

It's your mouse software that's doing that, I expect. That's the case with both Microsoft and Logitech's mouse software, you can configure the extra buttons to do whatever you want.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

The calendar is working fine for me. Win7, x64, Opera 10.61.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Mithaldu posted:

They are, i use them myself. Nevertheless it is just plain dumb to use them and then complain when things break randomly. You only get to complain about that when you stick to main releases, period.

You get to complain about snapshots as long as you submit bug reports at the same time.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

It's about loving time. I'd love to see them set up some sort of formal specification based on standards that other browsers can adapt, but somehow I expect that other browsers would just ignore such a thing.

Interestingly, "The upcoming Opera 11 alpha will be based on the current Opera 10.70 builds, which also means we will not ship a 10.70 final."

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

ufarn posted:

What happens if I have a set of bookmarks and import another set of bookmarks? Do they just merge?

Yes, they merge.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

I did a completely clean install, wiping out my user data and using Opera Link for keeping bookmarks, and the v11 alpha seems noticeably quicker, although that may be New Car syndrome and/or due to my old crufty install going away.

No crashes so far, which is better than the v10.70 series did. I'm even using the recent Flash beta and everything is stable. Things are still a little quirky in places but no outright crashes.

The one thing that I've noticed missing is being able to change the "plug-ins on demand" setting on a site-by-site basis, like nearly everything else. This would be really helpful.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

It would not surprise me at all if the "load plug-ins only on demand" function is what's actually increasing stability, just by preventing all those badly-written Flash ads from loading.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Cosmopolitan posted:

Can someone tell me if the mouse navigation buttons have been fixed on Windows yet? They've been broken for the past few 10.70 releases, which has been preventing me from upgrading on Windows.

Yeah, they're still broken. I've just turned on single-key shortcuts in the meanwhile and am using "z".

Heresiarch fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Oct 23, 2010

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Riso posted:

When I tried the 10.70 betas they broke the mouse four and five buttons for back/forward history.

Has the 11 alpha fixed that?

That's the same question that was just asked and I just answered.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

thrawn86 posted:

I usually have 50 or so open between about 3 windows, and opera sometimes takes almost a full minute to pop up the "continue from last time" dialog.

Have you tried seeing how long other browsers take? This is an interesting benchmark.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

I think you are in need of some kind of intervention.

All of you.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Another new build. Holy poo poo the new installer is fast.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Mithaldu posted:

Idle curiosity: I didn't notice anything like that being amiss. What WAS broken?

Back/forward buttons on mice, like the two on the left side of an Intellimouse Explorer.

[edit] Best fix is "DSK-310631 Tab cycle order wrong if 'When cycling through tabs with Ctrl+Tab' is set to 'cycle without showing list'"

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Mithaldu posted:

You could actually fix that before by changing the cycle mode in opera:config.

Well, now I don't have to.

Other stuff: Gmail would not load until I did a "Delete Private Data", now it's fine. The cursor now jumps to the address field when I hit "compose" like it's supposed to. These are probably not related.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Same here. What's weird is that it was working earlier with the same build.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Lakitu7 posted:

Gmail is high-profile enough that you can pretty much guarantee that they'll fix it in the next released build.

In any case, make sure you report it. The "report a site problem" item under the Help menu is probably the best way to tell the devs about this sort of thing.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Blodskur posted:

New snapshot.

This must have immediately been taken down for some reason because that URL is 404ing and it's not listed on the main blog page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Plorkyeran posted:

Works for me.

This is bizarre. I was getting ready to take screenshots, and suddenly the blog post is showing up if I go to it directly, but it's still not there on the main blog page.

I'm not going through a caching proxy or anything either, this is just weird.