Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Sure, I got a secret. More than one...

SecretFire posted:

I've never gotten that. Are you sure you aren't just on a page with an image that's slow to load?

It does it to me when I have fanboy's adfilter loaded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

anyone having problems loading gmail in the latest build? 9.6x doesn't work at all for me, I have to use 9.5beta to get onto gmail

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Syrg posted:

I'm on 9.63 and it just worked fine. Tweak any settings lately?

hm nope. actually it hasn't worked for the last several builds. driving me nuts having two opera icons on my bar (one for 9.5b and one for whatever the current build is). it hangs on the "loading" bar, about 90% completion

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

NashAsh posted:

It does the same thing if I Identify as IE. Changing it to Identify as Opera makes it work for me. Maybe check that?

bingo, thanks

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Want to simulate Google Chrome's tab-process look in Opera?

Click here for the full 1435x510 image.

removed title bar with winchanger, removed the menu bar with a shortcuts edit.
if I absolutely have to have my titlebar back for moving the window (which never happens), double tapping f11 brings it back, and then I kill the title bar again with a winchanger script that I have saved.

simple stuff, but I'm so anal about screen real estate and I can't believe its taken me this long to get it done.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

thrawn86 posted:

Want to simulate Google Chrome's tab-process look in Opera?

Click here for the full 1435x510 image.

removed title bar with winchanger, removed the menu bar with a shortcuts edit.
if I absolutely have to have my titlebar back for moving the window (which never happens), double tapping f11 brings it back, and then I kill the title bar again with a winchanger script that I have saved.

simple stuff, but I'm so anal about screen real estate and I can't believe its taken me this long to get it done.

just an update, I've replaced the opera shortcut on my taskbar with a small batch file to make my life easier when I have to restart, so I don't have to go digging into the command line to run this drat thing. type in your directories, save in notepad as a .bat and you're good to go. I think the timeout command only works in vista.

code:
@ECHO OFF
ECHO Killing Opera title bar in 5 seconds...
start /d "YOUR OPERA DIRECTORY HERE" opera.exe
start /d "YOUR WINCHANGER DIRECTORY HERE" winchanger.exe Window-ontop:cmd,0
timeout /T 5 /nobreak
start /d "YOUR WINCHANGER DIRECTORY HERE" winchanger.exe Window-Title:Opera,0
EXIT

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Sergeant Hobo posted:

Now that I'm using the visual tabs (which are growing on me a little), it seems I'm forced to use the extender menu, the behavior of which I detest. I guess I'm too used to Firefox's extender where I can scroll the tabs if I move the mouse wheel by hovering over the tab bar.

I will also try out winchanger later. Sounds perfect.

whats wrong with opera mouse gesture tab scrolling?

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Blodskur posted:

I use Opera quite a bit and really like it but I was wondering is there any way to get the tabs to work in the same way as they do in Internet Explorer 7? On there I can middle click three different links and they'll appear next to the active tab in the order I clicked them so 1, 2 and 3. The only options I've been able to see with Opera is "open new tab next to active", which will have a similar effect but the order is 3, 2, 1.

preferences -> advanced -> shortcuts - > middle click options
"open in background tab"

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

oh i see what you mean now. I have no idea, its easy enough to scroll through tabs so I don't worry about what order they're in

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Sergeant Hobo posted:

If you're talking about holding the right mouse button and using the scrollwheel, I honestly forgot about that since I don't use it much, if ever.

/boggle.

its the single greatest mouse gesture there is. A part of me dies every time I see someone with 8 firefox WINDOWS open, manually clicking in between each of them AND clicking on back/forward buttons instead of using mouse side buttons or the freaking backspace key (on a laptop anyway).

also, nerd rage at people who don't use ctrl-tab and ctrl-t, for laptops.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Zedlic posted:

I'm wanting to like Opera enough to use it regularly, but I'm having problems with scrolling. It's scrolling twice as many lines per scroll as is listed in the Mouse settings in Control Panel. As in, if it's set to scroll 3 lines, Opera scrolls 6. Meanwhile, Firefox scrolls 3 like it's supposed to.

Is there any hidden setting for this? I'm using the 10 beta by the way. And no Logitech SetPoint or anything like that, just the regular old Mouse settings in Control Panel.

you know...I just realized that mine does this too, except its not just opera. neither logitech setpoint or control panel can adjust my scrolling size in ANY app. weird.

NashAsh posted:

I was wondering if anyone else had this issue:

I run into trouble when I click on a dropdown menu/box, and then hit a key to select an item, and then hit Enter to activate it. The link/option doesn't "activate" correctly.

For example, when I use the forums dropdown box at the bottom of a page, I click the dropdown menu where it says "Please select one:"

When I press "U" for User Control Panel, the correct item is selected. However, when I hit Enter, it takes me to an invalid forum. It's most annoying when I'm entering my address at online stores, and I'm using the dropdown menu to select my state.

Does anyone else have this problem with Opera 10 beta (or alpha)? I had the same problem in alpha but I was hoping they'd fix it in beta.

yeah, google does something similar. when I type something in and hit enter, most of the time it doesn't catch the keypress and I have to manually click on the search button.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Casao posted:

When I had something like this, it was being caused by something else setting it - in my case, KatMouse and SetPoint were fighting each other and I was up to 1 page at a time. There are some other apps that can affect scrolling, anything that interacts with mouse (or potentially keyboard hotkeys, though it's unlikely) could be changing this.

oh, drat. I cannot possibly live without katmouse (horray another katmouse user!)

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

how do I install fanboy's adblock list on opera 10? there is simply no \opera\opera\profile folder like there has been on every other install.

its for a friend on win7 x64

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

that folder didn't exist, but it does for me on x86. either way, I put him back on 9.6x and it works just fine.

now if only we could get rid of the window bar without a 3rd party app like I posted before...

thrawn86 fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Aug 13, 2009

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Meroin posted:

Finally switched over to using tabs instead of windows in Opera and I like it alright. Mostly I switched because I discovered Right Click + Scroll and also installed Windows 7. Is there a way for the tabs to show up grouped like Explorer windows or IE tabs do in Aero preview on the taskbar when mousing over the Opera icon? I figured it's probably something for which we'll have to wait for the official release of Windows 7. (My main reason for not using tabs before was that I like to Alt+Tab through everything that's open. I can do this now with IE).

btw, ctrl-tab cycles through tabs in most applications I've tried. just an alternative to those who aren't mouse gesture initiated yet.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

reinstalled win7 pro x64, now I've got no profile folder either. What gives?

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

does anyone use blackboard/webct with opera? I'm about to go nuts here with these "session already running" errors.

no amount of clearing cookies, restarting, or masking as IE does a bit of good.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

GobyWan posted:

RC time! It takes over the main Opera path and upgrades your 9.x now instead of using the beta path, so if you want to keep 9.64 for now you should probably not install this yet.

mine didn't :(

argh, I and still have no appdata profile folder. I swear, wtf.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

^brilliant! I set mine to popup though, so it doesn't bother me because I'm not getting the 0/0 error anymore

window bars are for weenies. (double tapping f11 will bring it back if I need it)

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

what happens if you disable BT in opera:config? does setting your windows file assoc preferences change anything?

I need help guys, I'm having the problem again where I have no opera/opera/profile folder. brand new 7pro install on my tablet. I just want to install fanboy's adblock list. google yields absolutely nothing.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Casao posted:

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Opera\Opera 10 Beta

Or Opera

the Profile folder is deprecated from Opera 10, as far as I can tell. Appdata\Local\Opera\Opera is the previous "root" folder while Appdata\Roaming\Opera\Opera is what used to be the Profile folder. Put it in the root there.

okay thanks, I just didn't see the urlfilter file in the root directory at all.

next question, is anyone having trouble dling snapshots with autoupdate? "download all snapshots" is checked, but what exactly does the "state" field mean? I assumed it was on/off (0 or 1) but the arrows will go up to 18...

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Is there any way to stop opera tabs from showing up as separate windows in aero peek? I routinely keep 2-3 different windows open with different sets of tabs in each, and its very confusing to see 20+ tabs open all at once.

golden_appel posted:

With a bit of fiddling around with menu layout I managed to get Opera spartan enough to suit my tastes:

Click here for the full 917x750 image.

If only there were a 'new tab' mouse gesture so I could kill off that button too.

What made you bring back the title bar? also, how did you get transparency in the tabs like that?

thrawn86 fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jan 5, 2010

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

golden_appel posted:

Heh, all this time and I never knew that one. I think I learnt a number of gestures ages ago and never expanded my knowledge since. Guess I'll have to dig out the list and see what others I've been missing.

Not sure what you mean by 'bring back the title bar'. All windows have a title bar :confused:. As for the tabs, in 10.5 the tabs seem to be transparent by default but it isn't really noticeable unless you set the colour scheme to 'None' in the Appearance dialog.

edit: I haven't found a way to disable Aero Peek within Opera yet, mainly because I don't really want to. One option would be to modify your Opera shortcut to launch in Vista compatibility mode - this will keep the Aero Glass effects but disable the Win 7-specific stuff.

mine looks like that, and the little space up top disappears completely when maximized. basically, just like chrome.

edit: vista compatibility mode does the trick, thanks!

thrawn86 fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jan 6, 2010

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Also this one is funny: http://my.opera.com/Z1-AV69/blog/z1-glass-for-opera-10-5-build-3206

thats beautiful, thanks

e: once they get it working properly so the tab bar doesn't have to be on the left side for the transparency to work fully, it will be great.

thrawn86 fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 27, 2010

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

someone posted a while back a problem about things getting screwed up while trying to rmb->mousewheel scroll through tabs with an in-page pdf open. the mouse loses all left click functionality, and I become stuck in the pdf. Its fixed by alt tabbing out, then mouse functionality is restored.

this has been happening in the last several releases, at least. anyone know of a workaround?

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

hm figured as much. I've been using opera forever I only noticed it around opera 9.5 ish. Its killing me because I'm swimming in pdfs for a design project this semester :0

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

ufarn posted:

Can you not just change the MIME settings to open the .pdf in a program rather than the browser?

got it, thanks.

this userjs file for opening filetypes without opening a 'blank' window is also really useful. makes my pdf experience much better.
http://my.opera.com/Lee_Harvey/blog/show.dml/190924
http://www.opera.com/browser/tutorials/userjs/using/ <- to enable userjs

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

new paging out of speed dial gives a blank page for me instead of speed dial.

I can't get speed dial transparency working either :(

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Same. If you make a new tab from a open site it creates a Blank Page one, if you create a new tab from a Blank Page one it creates a regular Speed Dial tab.

The Glass skin probably isnt updated to work with any non-right tabbar placement yet.

Does adding new apps from http://unite.opera.com/applications/ work for anybody?

supposedly the newest version is fully working (all tabbar placements) with the newest alpha and the screenshot shows as much :(

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

that glass skin just keeps getting better...

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Startacus posted:

Does anyone know of a better element hider than the fanboy one? One more like adthwart or adblock.

theres a few different filters, someone posted them earlier. I use fanboy's in combination with http://adsweep.org/ and it works pretty well, though I've only been using that since recently and fanboy does fine 99% of the time.

what sites are you having trouble with out of curiousity?

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

weird that link doesn't work

http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2010/02/05/skin-fixes-unite-and-then-some

:cry: speed dial in a newtab still isn't working

thrawn86 fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Feb 5, 2010

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

the only "problems" I've been having are that the alpha keeps stealing default program access away from my 10.1 install, and when I restart 10.1 it refuses to ask to make itself default.

that and speed dial is still broken, and they broke mouse scrolling :(

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Anunnaki posted:

Speaking of that, is there a way to make it not show all the tabs as separate windows? I'd like it the way it was before, where you just click on its icon and go to the tab you were looking at last. It's a bit annoying having to find the tab I was looking at every time I switch back to it.

vista compatibility mode

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

I just reinstalled Windows (with the final Win7 build) yesterday and of course installed Opera, which was probably not the latest build at that time already (3248). The process was started almost exactly 24 hours ago (though about half of that time the PC was in standby mode) and now it's up to 5140 GDI objects and 385MB with 8 tabs. Are these issues addressed in the later snapshots? I think some of the release notes mention this, but whether or not it worked is another question...
opera has always been a memory hog for me. I have a few google searches and gmail running, and I'm at 360. (10.10) Come to think of it, the opera process ALWAYS takes 30-60 seconds to quit. blazing fast once it actually manages to start back up, however.

mobby_6kl posted:

By far the worst thing about it is that the search toolbar shifts the whole page down each time it pops up. What the hell! It's extremely annoying and makes no sense when leaving at the bottom (where it was previously) completely avoids the problem. Maybe there's an option to change this as well, but I wasn't able to find it so far.
I can see why it would make sense to just lay the search bar on top of the page instead of scrolling it down but honestly I never even noticed it until reading your post.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

RoadCrewWorker posted:

This doesn't sound right - from >6 hours of usage with ~15 tabs and 470 MB of ram the 10.10 process closes in ~5-8 seconds after disposing the window. If it's just disposing objects the time should be directly proportional to memory use. 30 to 60 seconds of shutdown time regardless of state happens on none of my machines with none of my opera installs.

yeah I don't know, my computer/opera runs 24/7 and its always been sluggish to quit and especially to open, on every install/machine I've had since XP.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Yeah, as others have mentioned its likely an xp vs vista issue, all my pcs here run 7 or vista.

this is including 7, which I'm on right now (desktop and mobile). actually Opera's been causing me a lot of grief on my tablet coming in and out of sleep mode. It normally wakes up in <5 seconds, but today the screen sat black for close to a minute, and when it woke up it was unresponsive and opera was sitting at 100%.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

^^ 10.5 wouldn't show up in autoupdate so I did a clean install, and I have both transparent tabs and the pop down password manager. also the update bubbles are gone, yay.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

yeah, me too. pro x32. upgrade or clean install? e: I'm using the newest z1-glass skin

anyone getting weird behaviour with embedded youtube videos? the video frame will freeze/become distorted and scrolling away from the video and then back will usually resync it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Wheany posted:

Does anyone else have a problem where if you either save or load (not sure which) a session manually from the file menu, any links opened from other programs, (like IM or Email) try to start a new instance of Opera?

do you have separate copies of opera installed? the alpha/beta always likes to take over my app preferences when I do, instead of opening them in the current release.