Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

krylex posted:

This is something that's been driving me nuts for a while now.

I'm running 9.62 on OSX 10.5.5

Only in opera, sometimes certain images from waffleimages just flat out refuse to load. If I paste the link in safari, loads like a champ. Opera? Nothing.

It only occurs with waffleimages. It just sits there and tries to load but never does.

Do you have any of the adblocking stuff in use? I think one of them includes a filter for *ad* which fucks up URLs which happen to contain "ad" in the hash. I don't have a quick solution, but I think that might be the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

my stepdads beer posted:

Hahaha I just tried Opera on Ubuntu and it looks like poo poo. Font rendering does not respect system wide settings (sub pixel smoothing), uses weird custom GUI toolkit that looks really out of place and the 'Tango' theme really doesn't look like Tango.

Pity, I love speed dial & Opera Mini (<3)

I use Opera in XFCE. As far as I can tell, fonts have always worked and looked fine. I've actually had more of an issue with Firefox giving me lovely fonts than with Opera. The GUI toolkit is Qt. Use qtconfig to adjust the theme. You might be able to find one that matches your system theme pretty well.

Opera being mismatched with the OS is a problem on any OS. They kind of do their own thing (look at the HTML form buttons, they don't match in any OS), which can look good or bad. I installed the Opera 9 theme, since I really don't like the black Opera 9.5 theme. It still doesn't match the OS, but I think it looks a lot better as I use a light-colored theme in XFCE too.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

sm8000 posted:

Unanswered from the previous thread. Both computers in question have Opera 9.62

My work computer keeps me logged into awfulyearbook.com despite the info not being in the Wand, as far as I can see.

My home computer doesn't remember the password, and neither do I. I'd like to know if there's a way to copy whatever file(s) necessary to get my AYB login working at home, I've tried doing the password reset but for some reason haven't gotten it to work.

Copy <opera settings dir>/cookies4.dat from your work PC to your home PC. This will overwrite all cookies on your home PC with all cookies on your work PC.

If you're not okay with this, you'll have to do it "manually" by opening up Tools -> Advanced -> Cookies on your work computer, searching for the AYB domain, then writing down (or copy/email, whatever) the cookies and their values, and adding them on your home computer.

Edit: Actually, I don't know how to add cookies, only edit existing ones. The overwrite method will work, but the "manual" method needs a bit more info to add cookies to a domain.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

case posted:

Is there a keyboard shortcut for re-open last closed page? I can't remember how I set it up, I think it was from a few Opera threads ago. It was bound to ctrl+alt+z but there doesn't seems to be an option in shortcuts.

Just Ctrl+Z works for me, you could also try Ctrl+Shift+T (or whatever it says under Window -> Closed).

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

NashAsh posted:

If you start a mouse gesture on a tab for any window (active or inactive), it'll perform whatever function on that tab.

Anunnaki posted:

I love this feature too. Opera has made Mouse Gestures a staple for me. If the browser doesn't have mouse gestures, it's crap to me now. :colbert:

Casao posted:

On the forums at least, it happens sometimes on accident. I get it because my mouse will randomly read a double click when the batteries get low.

I think it's kind of interesting how mouse-focused you guys are while I'm completely keyboard-focused. Want to switch tabs? Ctrl-tab. Close a tab? Ctrl-W. Open a new tab? Ctrl-T. Reload current tab? Ctrl-R. Submit a post? Tab, space.

Note that those are all left-handed shortcuts, so you can use the mouse to click links or go back & forward (thanks rocker gestures! the only ones I use) and use these keyboard shortcuts at the same time.

Also just goes to show how awesome Opera is since it supports mouse-focused and keyboard-focused styles perfectly :)

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

down1nit posted:

ColdPie, I assume you know about Shift + Arrow Keys?

I didn't actually, that might come in handy sometime. Thanks

Anunnaki posted:

Edit: VVVVVVVVV

Yeah, one of the things that bugs me about Opera is that the Fast Forward feature doesn't always work. A lot of the time that I try to use it, it brings me to the last page, or the next thread (depending on the site).

Please please please don't futurequote.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I don't know if there's a "better" way to change these settings, but look at opera:config when you can't seem to find a way to change something. There's a whole ton of cool options in there, so it might be worth just flipping through once.

xlevus posted:

is there a way to get the OSX version of Opera to not close the window on the last tab? It frustrates the poo poo out of me.

Try Allow Empty Workspace (opera:config#UserPrefs|AllowEmptyWorkspace).

wooger posted:

How to I make Opera on OS X 'open new tab in background' when I command click instead of opening it in the foreground?

Try Open New Window in Background (opera:config#UserPrefs|OpenNewWindowinBackground) perhaps? What you request is the default behavior for me, so I'm not sure...

Edit: Forums don't like linking to Opera config pages, so you'll have to copy/paste those into your URL bar.

ColdPie fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Dec 25, 2008

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Anunnaki posted:

I've been using my Ubuntu partition for the past few days, and I have to say, the Linux version of Opera kind of sucks. It just feels like I'm using it in Wine, or something; it doesn't integrate into the OS's interface at all. The dropdown menus look like the Windows Classic theme or something. I find myself using Firefox most of the time, because its Linux version just looks natural. They should really work on getting Opera a better integrated Linux interface.

qtconfig

I think Plastique looks okay if you don't want to bother installing other junk.

Look around for QGtkStyle in whatever your package manager is to make it even more native.
http://labs.trolltech.com/page/Projects/Styles/GtkStyle

ColdPie fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jan 26, 2009

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Wallin posted:

Those of you on OSX: are you able to regularly open a new tab, and first thing you do is use a keyboard shortcut for search without it crashing? If so, what version of OSX are you using?

I've been unable to do this (for example new tab, g somethingawful) for about a month now, and think it may be tied to a recent Leopard update. I'm using 10.5.6. It definitely worked before, but now this action causes an instant crash almost constantly.

This isn't really in response to your question or anything, but a handy Opera feature you might not know about is to give bookmarks "Nicknames" which you can then just type into the URL bar. For example, I bookmarked the forums and gave it a Nickname of 'sa', so when I want to hit the forums, I just type 'sa' into the URL bar and hit enter. Much easier than typing the full URL or googling or whatever you do to hit common sites.

Also: type /. into the URL bar and hit enter :cool:

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

antimatter posted:

I have been using opera for a few days and its quite nice, its bloody fast too! However I've been suffering an annoying bug/glitch, in that once in a while I will lose focus on the opera window, in that I can still do things with my mouse, but it just does not respond to key press at all.

To fix it, I just wait for a while, or alt/tab to several other programs and back, or switch to a different desktop and back then it start to work.

Opera/9.63 (X11; Linux i686; U; en) Presto/2.1.1

On Fedora 10.

Yeah, I've had this problem too, also running Linux. It happens to me maybe twice a week, so it's not that big a deal for me. How frequently do you get it? What window manager & desktop environment are you running? Are you able to reliably reproduce the issue?

I've also had a problem where switching to another workspace (using Ctrl+Alt+#, my shortcut keys) and back causes the Ctrl key to get "stuck" in Opera, which means when I use the scroll wheel on the mouse, it zooms the page in/out. This is a much more annoying issue for me, though it could be the recent XFCE upgrade loving up.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

LooKMaN posted:

Is there any way to make Opera show filenames for images?
For example this image http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3005551&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=449#post358080119 shows up as Reaganputin.jpg in Firefox, and as 7602c8b82093c1271bf829c1f46710e1f22d4499.jpg in Opera.

This is due to WaffleImages doing redirects for the images (Reaganputin.jpg => 7602c8b82093c1271bf829c1f46710e1f22d4499.jpg). Opera displays the redirect URL, Firefox displays the original URL. I honestly don't know which behavior I consider more correct.

In any case, viewing the page source will get you the original URL (you can use Ctrl-F with the "junk" URL to find it more easily). Or, you can quote the post and find the original filename that way. More workarounds than a solution, but maybe it'll help.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Anunnaki posted:

Haha, how do I use this?

Make a directory called usrjs, save that file as usrjs/hand.user.js, and put that directory name in Tools -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Content -> Javascript Options -> User Javascript Files.

To turn them on/off, you can move them in and out of that directory (not sure if it searches recursively or not), and might be able to just rename the .user.js part to disable them. Experiment and I'm sure you'll figure that bit out.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Casao posted:

I'm using http://pgl.yoyo.org/adservers/ on 3 separate machines with the latest builds of Opera 10 and I don't have this elements 0/0 thing on any of them.

Using the hosts file is a really, really terrible way to do adblocking. It will cause every query that resolves a domain name to parse the entire file to decide what IP address to resolve to. If the file's big enough, or your computer slow enough, it can slow down your web browsing noticably. But less obviously, it can slow down other programs that might resolve names more frequently.

A lot of people use it that way, and if it works, then it works, but that's really not what it's intended for.

As far as autoupdating your block list goes, just write a quick cron job to run weekly.

* * * * mon wget -o ~/.opera/urlfilter.ini http://some.website/adblock.list

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Casao posted:

Psst, check the drop down for the Opera URLFilter.ini format.

D'oh

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

200th Poster posted:

I tried out Opera 10 because of the advertised Turbo feature. I frequently have to use a very slow connection that is 256k. Whereas before I would wait between 30 and 60 seconds for a web page to load, with Turbo enabled I find it is taking 2 or 3 minutes for pages to load. Am I doing something wrong, or is the feature just bogus?

I had the same experience. Turbo actually slowed down my already slow connection. Seems bogus to me.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

ufarn posted:

Are you looking for a better filter, or?

Remember that you can right-click on a page and choose "block content".

Just a tip with block content. If you just click on an item, it'll block that entire directory (with the intent of blocking directories containing nothing but ads). You can also use Shift+Click to block just a single image file. This is useful for blocking things like ugly/annoying avatars on the forums without blocking all avatars.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Lakitu7 posted:

[edit] I have no idea why opera freaks out and acts like this is some terrible volatile file when it's clearly an html file

It's just Opera Software covering their rear end in case you're downloading SUPER_BAD_VIRUS.EXE or WEBSITE_FULL_OF_LIBEL.HTML or something. Note that the browser itself is not displaying that page, it's my.opera.com serving it.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Charles Martel posted:

I can't get Flash-based Facebook Apps my gal uses like Cafe World or SuperPoke Pets to work in Opera.

So, what's the problem?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

alltoohuman posted:

I'm having issues with a few sites, where a page will never finish loading and my mousewheel will not scroll the page. Once I click "stop", the page will immediately carry out all of the scrolling I was attempting.

So far I've seen it on huffingtonpost.com, occasionally here in the forums, and a few miscellaneous others. Anyone have any idea what could be causing it? Using 10.01. I've double-checked that this doesn't happen on those sites in FireFox.

Are you using Linux? There's an issue with the latest version of Qt and Opera <10.10 which hit me on my Linux box. Upgrading to 10.10 should fix it, so just do that. You can override it with some environment variables, and I can dig up that info if you want, but you should really just upgrade.

If you're not on Linux, then I don't know.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I played with Opera Unite for a couple minutes tonight (homework can wait...). It looks pretty cool to me. I like how it works; you don't have to upload anything, you just share it. Obviously has uptime & bandwidth considerations, but just for quick file sharing, it's a lot more convenient than other services. It also worked perfectly with my rather complicated router/port forwarding setup.

Looking forward to toying with it more later. It talked about "installing" Opera Unite applications, so I wonder if there's a possibility of user-created applications?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Sergeant Hobo posted:

From what I can tell, if you can write Widgets, you can write Unite Apps.

http://unite.opera.com/develop/

Thanks for this. Just in time for Thanksgiving break!

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

There's a thread about the ad issue in QCS:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3233575

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

turtle_07 posted:

I'm not totally sure what to do with this: Vista Ultimate Opera 10.10 and it keeps crashing whenever I try to open up gmail. Google chat is the transgressor and opera crash report tells me to disable unsigned_npgoogletalk.dll.

Where can I find this to turn it off?

I'd guess Tools -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Content -> Plug-In Options

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

On the previous page:

Lakitu7 posted:

http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2009/12/17/christmas-comes-early-for-opera-users

quote:

While everyone is off for Christmas vacation, the desktop team is working hard on preparing a nice holiday gift for Opera users. On December 22nd we will release a 10.5 pre-alpha. We'll keep it a surprise for now, but the keyword is: speed.
Sounds like the long silence has had them working on a new something or other. Maybe hardware acceleration finally?

So presumably on Tuesday it'll be out as a pre-alpha.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Sergeant Hobo posted:

Spoilers put in for those who might want to be surprised.

It's a browser release. Please don't do this poo poo, it's unbelievably annoying.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Casao posted:

Because h264 is a superior codec that's the modern de facto standard. It's the same as saying "I'm not gonna bother including HDMI in my television because it has costly licensing fees, let's stick to composite in."

How much did you pay for Opera? Consider that Opera has to pay an h.264 license fee for every browser download (how else to work out a per-user fee?). This adds up quickly, and it'd be especially stupid to add this functionality now before the "standard" codec is actually decided. Opera doesn't have the resources that Google does to pay these fees.

The other option is to negotiate a fixed rate per-year (or whatever) with the h.264 license holders. Again, no reason to do that yet. They'll just support the actually open standard that anyone can use until they're forced by the market to do otherwise. This is the smart thing to do, and hopefully they'll win.

P.S. I don't actually know how licensing works with h.264. But I don't care about the superiority of your codec if I have to pay a license fee or agree to curtail my rights to use it. I want to kick whoever decided not to require an open standard for the HTML5 video tag in the balls.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Casao posted:

x264 is the de facto standard of web video which is what's being discussed. And a browser's not a standard. IE6 and IE7 are damned different too, so split them. The point is, you're making lovely arguments.

Again, this is like saying "I'm going to make an HDTV but not include any HDMI ports, just composite." You can make all your OUR FREEDOMS arguments but the simple fact is there's nothing wrong or evil about using x264, especially when the standard you back is mostly unused and technologically inferior to the alternative.

I back any standard that is freely re-implementable. h.264 doesn't have that feature. Theora is the best video codec that does, so it's the obviously best choice. You might not care about signing away your rights, but many people do, no matter how many little pictures you spit at them. And once again, there's no reason for Opera to support the more expensive and legally complex option until the market forces them to. In the meantime, they can support the cheaper, simpler option in the hopes that it wins out.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Lakitu7 posted:

According to desktopteam blog it's a new build, too, not the RC from yesterday.

Wait what, I thought they were just starting to put out betas. Since when are they anywhere near RC status?

e: Oh you're talking about this
http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2010/02/11/windows-beta-released-and-more
which uses the confusing terminology of a "Beta RC". Now Windows users have the "Final Beta" I guess.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Ape Agitator posted:

Just to check, inlind find is gone for good, right? The find-as-you-type kind, I mean.

It's probably the only negative thing about the Beta but it's a big one. Find as you type inline find is nearly perfect but this popup is on the borderline of awful. You have to press F3 instead of Enter to begin searching (totally counterintuitive in my opinion), it has a crazy fast timeout so it's a race against time to press F3 so no dawdling or thinking about what you want to look for, and if you find text you want to highlight the popup will remove itself causing you to highlight multiple rows as the screen shifts back. At least they added dimming options so you could set whether the screen dimmed.

I haven't tried the beta so I can't say that the following is accurate. In 10.10 and previous versions, you can type a '/' character followed by your search phrase to do an incremental search. Is that removed in 10.50?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Casao posted:

h264 is the de facto standard for a reason. I'm not against using something else that's technically on par with h264, but they're going to have to come up with some AMAZING benefits to outweigh the enormous downsides and costs with using anything else. Ogg is not this, and I'm not aware of anything else that provides these incentives.

I'd love if h264 were a viable option. I'm sure you're correct that it is the best current codec. But it's patent-encumbered. If you can't freely implement and distribute a version of the standard, you simply can't make it a required part of viewing content on the web. There really is no two ways about this. It doesn't matter how awesome it is if you can't legally use it.

Obviously the correct solution is to eliminate software patents. But until that happens, we have to choose the best codec from those that are actually legal to use.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Seduced Milkman posted:

drat, I neeeeed a UNIX final version :mad:

I'm waiting too, but I'm happy to let the Windows users work out the bugs first :)

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

sbaldrick posted:

This may be a weird question given the years I've been using Opera on and off, but how to do you stop it from hanging on the last element when it's loading pages. It seems to stop Opera from working all the time. It's basically why I often stop using Opera because it annoys me.

What do you mean "hanging"? What operating system are you using? What version are you using now?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

You guys have really weird definitions of "hang" and "freeze".

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

kapalama posted:

YouTube has seemingly fixed itself even for people like me (Opera 9.64, Mac).

This site, owever does not load for me:

http://www.avclub.com/articles/how-jamie-foxxs-laverne-shirley-came-to-be,39508/

Does anyone else have problems with getting avclub to load?

That site works fine for me in 10.10 on Linux. Why are you still using 9.x?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Plorkyeran posted:

Wow, Bitlbee is amazing and I wish I knew about it years ago.

bitlbee + irssi + screen + ssh = persistent chat session no matter where you are. It's fantastic.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Blodskur posted:

Opera 10.60 Alpha 1 is out.

Funny, 10.5 still isn't out for Linux.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Lakitu7 posted:

They released 2.54 today, but that's pretty unexciting to most of the thread since we're running 2.6 weeklies. This is just a backport of some security fixes for the "release builds only" crowd.

You should probably update dude, you're like 14 years behind.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

NFX posted:

A couple of days late, but Opera 10.60 RC1 is out for Windows/Linux/Mac.
http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2010/06/28/opera-10-60-rc1

Guess they just decided to skip 10.50 on Linux. Oh well, sounded pretty buggy anyway, I guess v:)v

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Bonus posted:

Is it just me or do fonts look better and sharper in 10.60?

Holy poo poo, yes. I just upgraded a few minutes ago. It's weird how much whitespace there is because the fonts are so crisp.

Also they fixed my favorite "bug" :( You can middle-click on a tab to close it, and you can double-click on an empty bit of the tab bar to open a new tab. Prior to 10.6 (or maybe 10.5), you could middle-click to close a tab, then left-click once on the empty space. It would register as a double-click, causing a new tab to open where the old one was. Oh well, guess I'll unlearn that habit.

New skin looks awful in GTK. It's half-integrated, so you get all sorts of different widget styles. Switched to a 10.10 skin, and it's back to consistent.

E: is there any way to make the suggestions dropdown thing from the URL bar not take up 50% of the window to display 4 options? That's a bit much...

E2: They also fixed the autoscroll "bug" where you could use the scroll wheel while still remaining in autoscroll. Stop fixing these awesome bug-features!

ColdPie fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jul 2, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

AzraelNewtype posted:

What exactly do you want from such a thing? The forums themselves take care of the majority of the lifting, though somebody (biznatchio?) released a userjs that changes the UI to look like the old Opera SALR did. It's probably somewhere in this thread even.

This highlight script is available here:
http://www.gamesplusone.com/saforums-operahighlight.js
It was written by Moho, or whatever the gently caress name he's using now. I think maybe he got permad. Anyway, don't think I wrote it.

It colors your posts green, posts that quote yours orange, and posts that are by the OP in pink. It also colors threads in the thread listing depending on if they have new posts to view. As far as I remember, that's all it does.