Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0430922/

Essentially a buddy picture with Paul Rudd and Seann William Scott. When I saw the previews I was afraid the black kid was going to rub me the wrong way in a hurry with his "I'm black and curse and am very loud" stereotype, but he was hilarious. I really liked the flow of the movie and I wasn't bored or looking at my watch at any time. I had heard the big scene at the end made the movie and was not let down. My only complaint was the program director played by Jane Lynch. She was over the top "edgy" with her constant mentioning of detecting BS, and I was just waiting on the guys to bust her out or do something in response. But all you get are some "wtf?" glances at each other. They made one or two smart rear end comments throughout the movie, but she was detecting BS so much with little to no humor it got kind of old.

Rudd and Scott had some good chemistry and I hope they do another movie together soon. The nerdy kid was played perfect in every way. You really feel bad for him a couple of times.

Pros: Very funny throughout, great "date movie", some nice tits, good story
Cons: Kids program director got old fairly quickly

4/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

needle exchange
Jul 3, 2004

Sweat. When it's hot, baby.
A feel good goofy comedy. It had no illusions of being something it wasn't, and that was fine. An entertaining comedy which utilizes some funny people to carry a nice little story that from the beginning you knew was going to wrap up nicely.

An enjoyable popcorn movie and I would recommend it if you aren't doing much of anything. Good for a first date if you don't know that much about the person since this is a sort of carpet comedy and is definitely meant to be enjoyed by everyone.

3.5/5

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
This is probably the funniest movie I've seen in 2008 for sure. I thought it was great start to finish. A lot of comedies have pacing problems midway through, but this was consistently good.

5/5 - Definitely best comedy of 2008

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
I agree with everyone in this thread, I was sitting at my buddies house trying to figure out a movie to see, and I came across Role Models. Highly enjoyable and well paced through it all. Well worth the :10bux: I spent to see it. One of the first times in a while I've walked out of a theater with a smile on my face from jokes 30 minutes prior.

5/5. Go see this.

ButchDeadlift
May 7, 2005

People will say we're in love...
Saw this last night and was expecting a shallow dick-and-fart joke guy movie. I've never been so pleased to be wrong.
It was sarcastic, crude and crass, but at the same time, had a great heart without being sappy or sentimental. While it's never in doubt that the selfish, self-absorbed main characters will eventually find some meaning in the work they do with the kids and come to care for them, it managed to avoid the typical Hallmark mush that these kinds of movies tend to end up as.
It was consistently hilarious the whole way through, though 50% of this movie is the incredible reaction shots of Paul Rudd's face (ie. the look he gives Lynch after she says she's here to "service these young boys").
I thought Lynch was great. Her over the top, edginess ("What did I have for breakfast? COCAINE! What did I have for lunch? COCAINE!")was hilarious and intentional purely because she obviously expects a much bigger reaction than the WTF looks that Rudd and Scott give each other.
Great pacing, great jokes and enough warmth to make you pull for the kids and say "gently caress yeah!" when they come out on top.

4.5/5 Best comedy I've seen in a long time.

ROOMBA floorvac
Aug 21, 2004
This is definitely my favorite comedy film of the year. I like it so much mainly because most, if not all, of the jokes and humor in the movie is the typical "guy humor" that my friends and I say all of the time. I also loved the pacing of the movie. Never once did I think, "Man this movie is dragging on". Plus, the EPIC LARP battle at the end was fantastic.

5/5

Rabid Koala
Aug 18, 2003

This is without a doubt the funniest movie of 2008. It's a hilarious and often vulgar comedy that also has a lot of heart. The budding relationship between the two leads and the kids they mentor works well in the context of the film, and the final LARP sequence is unbelievably funny. They turn something that should be incredibly faggy into something badass. The minute I noticed that it was directed by the guy from Stella (who also did Wet Hot American Summer with Rudd, Banks, and Marino), I knew I was in for an awesome ride.

5/5

Rabid Koala fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Feb 8, 2009

NixNax
Sep 20, 2008
This is probably one of the best comedies of 2008. For me its either a toss up twixt Role models and Pineapple Express. I hope they don't trash it and try to make a sequel.

4.5/5

Kidavenger
Mar 28, 2005
The LARPing in the movie really put me off, I didn't find it very funny and there was alot of it, the rest of the movie was very good.

This movie is a good rental, wouldn't buy it though.

3/5

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
I didn't expect this to be much but I was pleasantly surprised. The pacing was good, the young black kid was absolutely hilarious even though most of his jokes involved saying "gently caress" it never got old to me. All the actors did really well, I especially enjoyed Lynch as the 'in-your-face' recovery nazi. Having been in recovery myself I've known handfuls of people just like that with their try-too-hard shocking war stories of drugs they did, ways they scored, etc. Her performance was really spot on. The only part that wore on me was the LARPing at the end. I thought they made it funny, and about as badass as LARPing could ever be, but I felt like McLovin's story arc took precedence when other things would've interested me more. It was funny but a little too long. Overall very solid comedy, probably only topped by "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" for best comedy of last year.

4.5/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
Ya know, any other time a movie like this would have been complete poo poo and devoid of any real laughs, but the cast actually pulled it off.

There were so many good one-liners in this movie that just had me really cracking up and tipping back in my chair. The way the cast so nonchalantly delivered their lines really helped the laughs.

There are a few dull points, but I could definitely see myself watching this movie a few more times because of the overall hilarity factor.

Rudd and "The Stiffler guy" really played off each other well. Seann William Scott actually didn't annoy me in a movie! *looks for sky to fall*

Jane Lynch was a bit over-the-top at times, but zany enough to keep things interesting. In fact, her character was pretty similar to the role she played in 'The 40 Year Old Virgin' (there she was a store manager, here she is a Big Brother Big Sister club president/manager).

The lesser cast was very well done too. I saw a few people from 'The State' and 'UCB', and each one of them was at the top of their game.

This is a movie I would easily suggest to 99.9% of my friends (minus my Jehovah's Witness friends). Check it out, it's a fun movie (with boobs too!).

4.5/5