Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
How!
Oct 29, 2009

I have a pug 103 with a w-port polini kit. It was running just fine, but this morning I fired it up and it will rev up but wont move. Im thinking the clutch is blown. The flywheel turns smoothly, the plug isnt gummed up, and the timing seems to be okay.

What do you guys think?

Im buying a Puch Sabre tomorrow morning too. gently caress yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How!
Oct 29, 2009

I would highly recommend bypassing the oil system. Theyre old and prone to breaking, just run premix instead.

How!
Oct 29, 2009

I dunno, I always delete the oil pump on za50s because those are really bad.

Re:jetting, unless you're running a crazy race build and revving to the moon, there's pretty much no way premixing gas is gonna mess up your ratio unless you just accidently dump the whole bottle in there. I have a polini'd Ciao and I literally eyeball what I think is the right amount and my temperature never rises above like 320 degrees.

How!
Oct 29, 2009

Same. I don't think I've seen a working oil pump at a single rally.

How! fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Dec 19, 2015

How!
Oct 29, 2009

ArgoATX posted:

Q: At what point does retarding my timing become dangerous? Based on the assortment of scratches on my flywheel and my own bumbling attempts at timing my first rebuild, I believe my points are opening around 13-14deg BTDC. My woodruff keys don't fit the race crank I bought, so the flywheel is too crooked to hit 17deg like the manual says, but I was planning on retarding anyway and the bike is actually running pretty well.

I am running a 15 bing 82 jet 19T front sprocket on a 50cc. My idea was to jet/gear/time it for top speed and try to recover some of the low end with a hi hi comp head from treats and my pipe. There's no flames coming out of the exhaust, but if you squat you can see fire in the header when someone gives her a bunch of gas up a hill.

Is this thing going to explode on me? The plug is wet, sometimes, but she's not four stroking and I'll probably try an 80 jet once the break in is over. I'm under the impression that A) Advanced timing + high revs = grenade. B) Richer runs cooler. C) Retarding moves heat out of the cylinder and assists with exhaust velocity/scavenging at high rpms. Correct me! :allears:

Thats pretty far advanced actually. Most hardware stores sell various sizes of woodruff keys. You can get one that is close and sand it down till it fits.

Richer doesnt run cooler. All youre doing by up-jetting is introducing more oil/gas. It is possible to seize if you're tuned poorly and have a bigger jet than you need. Cold bikes are mostly about timing and airleaks.

You're right about A though!

Edit: fire from your header is not a good sign man, fix those airleaks and timing or you're gonna be bummed.

How! fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jan 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How!
Oct 29, 2009

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Pretty sure it's a well established principle of all engines, 2 strokes especially, that richer does run cooler.

Yeah, I think you're right about all that. I was just trying to make sure he doesnt solve tuning problems by just using larger jets.

• Locked thread