Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

I don't know if I belong here. I just got this 1978 Honda Express NC50 for $150 from a friend of mine. I'm planning on tinkering on it this winter and then using it as a DD ride in the spring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Isn't it a "no-ped" in moped nomenclature? Not really a scooter either.

This is the word I've seen a lot on the net.

It's got a mechanical clock spring starter that you kick once or twice and then release by gripping the rear brake. in this sense, it' pretty similar to a moped but then again- no pedals.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
I've started going through the wiring and hoses and I've found that the soft fuel lines are starting to disintegrate on my NC50.

They seem more rigid than the regular rubber soft lines that I see on cars. What should I use to replace them?

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Yeah I generally think it's worth it to get nice fuel line. The cheap stuff is like one-time-use at best, a lot of them harden over time and lose all flexibility. And I mean over not much time, like a few months.

Mine is still pretty soft. I removed it to test the petcock and it seemed like it was in pretty good condition.

There's really no reason to go cheap on this in my opinion. Even going premium on hoses and wiring components is going to be a really cheap way to ensure reliability.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
My roommate got a super awesome custom moped over the weekend.

I want to say it's got a 76 Motobecane motor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaMvjlXhkF0

Is it technically still a "moped" if the pedals do nothing?

Sandbagger SA fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Dec 3, 2015

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

I put some more time into the Express.

I got the headlight attached but it's got an aftermarket lens with replaceable bulbs so I haven't finished that bit yet. Once I get the wiring completed and the oil line mended, I'll fill it up and try to start it again.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

How! posted:

I would highly recommend bypassing the oil system. Theyre old and prone to breaking, just run premix instead.

So just plug the oil line?

I'm trying to find more info on this.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
So anyhow:

I'm guessing plug it off at the tank- or I could install a petcock and just leave it always off. I get a small amount of seepage from the fuel side into the oil tank anyhow.

Then on the oil pump side- I should probably seal it off to prevent particle intrusion then yes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
My dad found a website.

treatland.tv

He's thinking about upgrading to 60cc bore/piston on his project Honda express bikes since one of them needs new rings anyhow.

I'm kinda interested in seeing how well it works.

• Locked thread