Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«1495 »
Aleksei Vasiliev
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Insert name here posted:

Well now I feel kinda silly for not thinking of that, so have some gameplay footage.
what the gently caress it's on Cryengine 3? I was expecting much worse graphics since it's F2P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

what the gently caress it's on Cryengine 3? I was expecting much worse graphics since it's F2P

"That one Crysis MW mod is pretty cool, lets get Cryengine for our MW game."

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Arrath posted:

"That one Crysis MW mod is pretty cool, lets get Cryengine for our MW game."
On the bright side it's on CryEngine 3 and not 2 so it'll (hopefully) not run quite as lovely.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

A new Sim City is on the way and it's being made by Maxis. It will even have curved motherfucking roads.

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003
I am a horrible person, disregard my posts.

reading is tough

Aleksei Vasiliev
May 7, 2007

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

A new Sim City is on the way
and it's only $80 from Origin! $60 if you hate foreigners.

edit: russian deluxe edition is ~$44, limited is ~$34. truly the land of sane game prices

Aleksei Vasiliev fucked around with this message at Mar 9, 2012 around 06:59

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

In short, as the owner/operator of both a dick and a set of (admittedly male) nipples I'm not entirely sure that Suetonius is writing about impossibilities here.

So a friend of mine has been playing himself some ME3 and invited me over to watch the ending.

Holy loving poo poo. I mean, I knew it was going to be terrible, but REALLY Bioware?

Jesus christ on a robot loving crutch.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

How bad is it? I know what happens, but I haven't seen the ending because I haven't cared enough to borrow the game from anyone.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

In short, as the owner/operator of both a dick and a set of (admittedly male) nipples I'm not entirely sure that Suetonius is writing about impossibilities here.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

How bad is it? I know what happens, but I haven't seen the ending because I haven't cared enough to borrow the game from anyone.

Ugh. Well, the worst of it is that the "three endings" are more or less one ending with a different colored explosion at the end. No, I'm not kidding. There are some little differences here and there earth wiped clean of life by giant fireball or everyone gets tickled by blue electric ball but, let's face it, the whole thing was always about the main characters anyway. They do a surprisingly decent job of wrapping up all the story arcs of the sidekicks (Thane, Miranda, Jack, Mordin, etc) and then give you basically no choice at the very end.

Oh yeah, and the "big reveal" is a joke AI is bad kids! Don't invent AI! It can never be reasoned with! and kind of goes against everything that happens previous to that like the notable example of Shepherd negotiating/reasoning with the Geth.

The whole thing just felt to me like they were 3/4ths through making it and noticed how popular certain games like DXHR were where you are put in positions where the "good" choices pretty well lead to your main character's inevitable death and decided to railroad things in that direction at the last moment.

It isn't even that they went on some crazy fan service or hosed over crazy fans or that they made robots with tits or that Shephard's genitals are the cure for everything from racism to surprise sex or any of the other usual terrible bad Bioware poo poo. At the end of the day they developed the series in one general direction and then, purely through the power of lovely writing, drove it off a cliff with a giant non sequitur.

Aleksei Vasiliev
May 7, 2007

Tribes Ascend launch trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjyUy5f3VIw&hd=1

EvanSchenck
Sep 8, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

Oh yeah, and the "big reveal" is a joke AI is bad kids! Don't invent AI! It can never be reasoned with! and kind of goes against everything that happens previous to that like the notable example of Shepherd negotiating/reasoning with the Geth.

I was honestly pretty annoyed that the player isn't allowed to point out that, in addition to another AI being one of your best friends.

quote:

The whole thing just felt to me like they were 3/4ths through making it and noticed how popular certain games like DXHR were where you are put in positions where the "good" choices pretty well lead to your main character's inevitable death and decided to railroad things in that direction at the last moment.

I definitely got the impression that the ending was one of the last things they finished, and they rushed through it without even checking to see if it had any obvious plot holes. When you start the final sequence, your squadmates are fighting in London, and the Normandy is engaged in the space battle orbiting overhead. Then when the final FMV plays, everybody is back on the Normandy, which is suddenly traveling through one of the relays, and it is not explained in any way how this happened. It just smacks of laziness. You obviously didn't watch your friend play the whole game, but what makes it even more disappointing is there are actually some story sequences earlier in the game that are written and executed very well, for a video game plot. They just completely dropped the ball with the ending sequence.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Hope you don't mind if I just take a little rest here. Feel free to join me...

Has anyone brought up the hilarious mess that the character import tool is?

If you import a character that was created in ME2, it isn't too bad, mostly just the hair being all different, the facial structure remains mostly the same.

But, if you import a character made in 1, you'll instead get a completely random mess.

I tried taking a character from 1, importing it into 2, and then copying the code the game generates and just punching that into 3. Turns out, they changed the value of almost every single feature on the sliders.

I haven't done any research into this yet, I've just done my own testing, and I realize this is mostly super obvious crap here. It looks like the code just corresponds to specific locations on each slider. This isn't really anything too complicated. The problem comes in because apparently they let the Remedial Squad mess with the coding for the import tool, because they changed the value for almost everything on each slider from 2. This becomes even more special when you realize that the import tool is pretty much unchanged from 2, other than the previously mentioned random value changes for some insane reason.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be polite. Be professional. But be prepared to PARTAYYY!

hahahahaha, oh Bioware.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA11gnz9eBA#t=1m23s

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

I'm close to six feet, I like to think.

Cyrano4747 posted:

gently caress. That.

AI is loving awesome and I try to ally with it whenever possible in any game.

I think there was another semi-recent game where I had to destroy an AI without giving me any options and I was like

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

Seeing animals in pain is fucking HILARIOUS. Can't crop that out, Buddy!

Inspector_71 posted:

I think there was another semi-recent game where I had to destroy an AI without giving me any options and I was like

If God wanted AIs to exist he wouldn't have made them so easy to break.

right arm
Oct 29, 2011

The only redeeming factor in ME3 was Tali watching the quarians get killed and then her suicide. Geth 4 lyfe.

Aleksei Vasiliev
May 7, 2007

right arm posted:

The only redeeming factor in ME3 was Tali watching the quarians get killed and then her suicide. Geth 4 lyfe.
yesssssssss

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I am shocked to say it but I was actually finding a Human Soldier fun in multi. I just completely maxed on out damage with Adrenaline Rush and Combat Training. Something like 95% damage bonus to weapons with Rush on. Then just perforate everyone with the Vindicator. Even at level 1 it puts holes in things.

Although I can't compete with Beeb charging around as a Krogan busting every skull with his own skull.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

No good ever came from a piece of cherry pie.

Alaan posted:

Although I can't compete with Beeb charging around as a Krogan busting every skull with his own skull.

Wasn't sure how I'd like leaving my rad biotics behind. Here's a lovely cell phone camera shot:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

Inspector_71 posted:

Ok why can't I recall what game this is? It's actually really pissing me off.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Inspector_71 posted:

My gut reaction would've been either DXHR or Syndicate but I haven't played the latter and recall that wasn't the case in the former so I don't think those are the correct.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

Cooked Auto posted:

My gut reaction would've been either DXHR or Syndicate but I haven't played the latter and recall that wasn't the case in the former so I don't think those are the correct.

I was pretty happy with my AI interactions in DXHR, and I haven't played Syndicate.

Aside from the one at Panchaea, you don't actually kill any AIs in DXHR, do you?

Sperglord Actual
Nov 27, 2011

You don't kill Eliza Cassan at any rate.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

You don't blow up any AIs in Syndicate that I remember. All the antagonists are human.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

Seeing animals in pain is fucking HILARIOUS. Can't crop that out, Buddy!

Inspector_71 posted:

Portal 2:

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

Fallout 3 gave you options, so we can rule it right out.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

Gtab posted:

Fallout 3 gave you options, so we can rule it right out.

It was more recent than FO3, and New Vegas let you team up with an AI to rule everything, so it certainly wasn't that either.

BeanTaco
Apr 14, 2011

If you do the facebook thing to get the spinfusor, tribes ascend is actually really fun
It's like playing counter strike surf and halo reach at the same time.
The whole free 2 play angle is bullshit though when you realise some items would take 100 rounds to get. Or 5 dollars.

Aleksei Vasiliev
May 7, 2007

bf3 is getting a new DLC

http://www.battlefield.com/battlefi.../close-quarters

honestly this image says all you need to know, really.
but if you need to know more, here's some shakycam footage of gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRl3Bjy1p1c
it's basically a COD map pack

Alain Perdrix
Dec 19, 2007

Howdy!

I managed to have fun with BF3 pretty consistently, but I just sort of stopped playing about two weeks ago and have no particular desire to get back into it. Not sure why. I am sure that that DLC isn't going to change that, though.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

No good ever came from a piece of cherry pie.

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

it's basically a COD map pack

Explains the hipfire mag dump and panic knife. WHERE'S MY KNIFE LUNGE BRO

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

There's gonna be four more DLC packs actually. Theyre all gonna be scrubtacular pubby garbage, much like everything else that has been done to BF3 since alpha

Aleksei Vasiliev
May 7, 2007

^^^: Armored Kill is supposed to have a giant vehicle map so that might be good.

oh and crytek is developing a F2P class-based war FPS with both PvE and PvP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4c3OfvJTuw&hd=1
also apparently it has mechs

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

hahahahah we're running out of "War" "Fight" "Hell" etc words, clearly

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Killwar II: The Fightening

BeanTaco
Apr 14, 2011

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

^^^: Armored Kill is supposed to have a giant vehicle map so that might be good.

oh and crytek is developing a F2P class-based war FPS with both PvE and PvP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4c3OfvJTuw&hd=1
also apparently it has mechs

never changes.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010
I'm conducting an experiment to see if removing your shitty avatar will improve your shitty taste in black metal

I'm happy to see the bigger studios getting into freemium. Especially since I've been seeing more and more make you pay for convenience, rather than pay to win. I guess a lot of people having no impulse control is working out in the favor of those who do.

Alain Perdrix
Dec 19, 2007

Howdy!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm happy to see the bigger studios getting into freemium. Especially since I've been seeing more and more make you pay for convenience, rather than pay to win. I guess a lot of people having no impulse control is working out in the favor of those who do.

Yeah, I've actually had good fun with two F2P games in the last month or so, and I never anticipated that being the case. I haven't bought a thing.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010
I'm conducting an experiment to see if removing your shitty avatar will improve your shitty taste in black metal

Yeah. I mean, I expect that when planetside 2 comes out, I'll drop money on it. And then regret it because :SOE:, but that's beside the point.

Aside from that, I haven't dropped any money on almost all of the F2P games I play, and I enjoy them anyway. The one that I think needs money the most is World of Tanks, and that's more of a case of once you taste what it's like with the premium benefits, you can't go back to running without them. But at least they have contests and giveaways for funbucks all the time, even aside from the clan wars stuff that gives out gold while still probably making them shitloads of money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

I refuse to consider WoT a F2P game even if it technically is cause once you're past a certain tier you're basically guaranteed to lose money unless you pay for premium.

«1495 »