Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

A couple weeks ago I went through an EZ-Pass toll lane without an EZ-Pass on the New Jersey Turnpike. I had every intention to pay, but unless I'm going blind, there were no cash lanes open at the time (about 1:30AM).

Today, I got my violation notice in the mail. The charge is for the $.70 toll plus a $25 fee. It comes with a dispute form for if you don't think you should be held liable, in which case you only have to pay the $.70. I plan on disputing it, but was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this.

$25 isn't a big deal, so if I lose I have no problem paying it. I just want to get some idea of what my chances are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

potato!
Apr 24, 2008

I'd fill out the dispute form and send it in with a check for $0.70. I don't live in NJ, so I've never disputed one of these, but it was probably automatically generated and it may very well not be worth the agency's time to pursue disputed claims, meaning that the mere act of disputing may solve your problem.

And for the joe six-packs playing a drinking game at home, "dispute."

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

Odd, at least in IL the EZ-Pass/Ipass things allow you to go to the website and pay the toll within a set period of time for only the toll amount. Did you wait for a month or something before the notice was sent out?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I probably could've done that, but I didn't even think about it. I was stupid and forgot all about it until I got the notice today.

kicker
Jan 14, 2003

I've been mistakenly tagged about 7 times in a row once, when the battery in my EZPass died and wasn't transmitting. I didn't notice and kept driving through the EZPass lanes.

They eventually sent me a nice stack of letters, each with a fine and picture of my car, etc.

I used the dispute form and just put my tag number in the designated box, and thats all I ever heard from them. I forget if they even charged my account after all that.

You should be fine. If there's a comment box, just put "unable to find a cash lane" and they should understand. Send it in with the $0.70 payment.

TheDarkOfKnight
May 14, 2003

All the world's a stage. Look at the lighting!

I live in Illinois and use the tollway a few times a month. I had an IPass and got rid of it a little while ago. I still go through the IPass lanes all the time and have not once gotten any kind of a violation. Maybe I'm just special or lucky or something.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

kicker posted:

I used the dispute form and just put my tag number in the designated box, and thats all I ever heard from them. I forget if they even charged my account after all that.
This is actually an interesting idea. Find someone who does have E-ZPass and tell NJ you had their tag in your car but it didn't work. Then give them a buck to cover the cost.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

smackfu posted:

This is actually an interesting idea. Find someone who does have E-ZPass and tell NJ you had their tag in your car but it didn't work. Then give them a buck to cover the cost.

Aren't EZ-Passes assigned to specific vehicles though? I think I'd rather just stick with the truth if the lie could end up back-firing like that.

Flarecat
Mar 9, 2007

Diabolik900 posted:

Aren't EZ-Passes assigned to specific vehicles though? I think I'd rather just stick with the truth if the lie could end up back-firing like that.

Nope, they are assigned to vehicle types, like 2 axels and such. You can even get one and not own a car. I have a NJ ezpass and it says that you can put it in other cars as long as it's the same type. I've used it in my boyfriends car and it's been just fine.

Resident_Johnson
Jul 12, 2006
I hate regional jets.

TheDarkOfKnight posted:

I live in Illinois and use the tollway a few times a month. I had an IPass and got rid of it a little while ago. I still go through the IPass lanes all the time and have not once gotten any kind of a violation. Maybe I'm just special or lucky or something.

Wait a few months. I was driving a rental car back in early May and it failed to read my IPass tag. I got the citation in late August (the rental car companies will gladly give you up to the toll authority). They do catch up to you - it's only a question of when. And, for each plaza you blew through, you'll be on the hook for $20 + the actual cash toll if you didn't have an IPass. So, instead of paying $2 to drive all of I-355 with an IPass, you'll pay $64 (3x$20 + $4 cash toll).

Oh, and the law in Illinois is written in a way to specifically screw you over. If you're the registered owner of a vehicle (except a rental fleet), you're the one who's liable. "Someone else was driving the car" is not a valid excuse even if you can prove you were in Fiji. If they get a pic of your plates, you're on the hook.

The good news is that if you do have an IPass, you can call in and they'll drop all of the $20 charges and just charge you the actual tolls. Or, if you went through a plaza without your tag, you can go online within 7 days and pay the toll.

Resident_Johnson
Jul 12, 2006
I hate regional jets.

Diabolik900 posted:

I think that in some states that are EZPass compatible (Illinois), you can register your vehicle's plates on the website. That way, if your tag doesn't read, they'll check your plate and see that it's on your account.

Kicker's approach would probably work, as long as your friend's tag wasn't somewhere else at the same time. It'd be kind of hard to explain that the tag was misread on the George Washington Bridge at 9:00am and it did read properly on the Thruway over in Buffalo at 9:30am. Kind of hard to go ~350 miles that quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

After reading up on the EZ-Pass site and looking more closely at the dispute form, I believe I can just get my parent's EZ-Pass account number and say that they are going to add me. If they do add me it apparently won't even cost them anything besides the $.70 I owe now, so I think I'm going to do this. It seems almost too easy.