Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pooptron2003
Jan 20, 2006

It's not what you think.

Miss Indy posted:

Half, if not most of the corgis posted here are not well bred animals.

Mine is! THHHPPPT :toot:

He just has really light coloring. :iiam:

Also, his farts smell like the holocaust

... but I don't have any pictures of that.

Pooptron2003 fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Feb 20, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

letsgoflyers81 posted:

That's really cute, it sounds like a typical Corgi warning bark as I like to call it. Nacho does it all the time when he sees or hears something "suspicious."

Here's a cute video with many of the typical sounds Corgis make. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tvwqTfES3o

Pepper does the "imitating other animals" sound quite a bit, more often than not when she comes out of her crate in the morning. She'll stretch her front legs and do her little growl. Other than that, I've heard her bark maybe 15-20 times in the 2 months we've had her, most of which were "attention barks."

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.

letsgoflyers81 posted:

That's really cute, it sounds like a typical Corgi warning bark as I like to call it. Nacho does it all the time when he sees or hears something "suspicious."

Here's a cute video with many of the typical sounds Corgis make. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tvwqTfES3o

Oh lord this is Ace all over. I was a tad worried at first because he's very expressive with his growls. Playtime is more like growltime. He'll grab his toys and run around the house snarling like a wild beast.. Really he just likes making the noise. Someday I need to get a video of him doing this.

Though if I ask him to lay down and he's not in the mood he'll flop down and punctuate it sharply with a "hurphf".

stinktier
Aug 8, 2007

Dei gratia regina fidei defensor
Cable is really great about not yapping, except when he sees another dog when we're walking--then it's bark central. He also loves to growl when we are playing tug-of-war :3

Now, this is more of a general question, but spawns some disagreement between my husband and I: how much barking is too much? We don't permit him to bark in the house, but when he is outside at the dog park or going for a walk, I don't mind that he barks a bit. If we are playing roughly in the house (wrestling, chasing), he yaps sometimes to get my attention during our games. Now, my husband thinks he should *never* bark because he won't understand when he can and can't bark. I think *some* barking is good for his mental health - it's his way of talking!

What's PI's consensus?

SachielDVangel
Jun 4, 2003

noelcat posted:

Now, this is more of a general question, but spawns some disagreement between my husband and I: how much barking is too much?

Depends on what he's saying.

I don't think it's black and white, always on/always off. Not all barks are the same. I appreciate when my dogs bark when someone approaches the door, and praise them for it, but tell them "enough" calmly when I want them to stop. I let them know they did their job, but I am in control of the situation and am taking over, they can stand down. I don't like it when they bark when someone is just outside walking their dog and tell them to "knock it off" harshly. They don't bark when dogs are on-lead being walked most of the time. (Certain dogs still set them off, but that's usually something else deeper like they've seen the dog loose before or whatever) Barking when playing is fine imo, but barking while demanding something is not. One of the hardest things isn't teaching a dog to speak, ours picked it up pretty easily, it's teaching them not to when you want other commands. You'll tell them "sit" and they will still bark, thinking that's they command you want and as a "demand," but that gets a "aaaah" and me ignoring them for a sec or working with the other dog until they stop. You can condition barking just like any other facet or behavior.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Constant barking while indoors is a huge issue obviously, but the occasional barking should be absolutely fine. There's pretty much always going to be some yappage going on during playtime, and esp during roughhousing which is normal imo. Ace also will let out a few huffs if there's a sudden noise in the apt he can't identify or someone at the door, which is fine. I tell him no if he keeps barking at something normal though (for a while he was big on barking whenever the sprinklers outside came on, now he'll yap maybe once ad then be quiet.)

Basically the big thing is to not encourage him if he's barking just to bark, and if he's yapping entirely too much feel free to tell him no. Usually we'll be like "alrighty that's enough calm down" and that's enough to stop the huffing. I've found he's pretty good at picking up when barking is ok and when it isn't, I've even managed to quiet Ace down while on walks where other dogs were barking their faces off at him just with a clam "it's ok quiet down." It's going to be like anything else with a dog, setting boundries for when something is and isn't ok.

Edit: Sach said it best really.

Tristesse fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Feb 20, 2009

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

anachrodragon posted:

Josie perked up and ran over and sat down right next to him, and the next thing I know she lets out this low rumbling WWWUFF with a growl at the end. It was pretty funny and also drat cute.

There were some fun moments like this with the older male corgi our friends had. Bear had been retired from herding when his owner decided to get out of flock animals and into horses, so they repurposed him as a ratter. Now, corgis are not ratters, but by God did Bear have a passion for hunting and killing rats. The best way to get him to make that noise you described was to say "Go get the rats, Bear!"

Even cuter was watching his daughter try to imitate him when she was just a teeny puppy. Same exact sound, but much higher and quieter. Then again, Lily was all about the "I'm a big dog!" stuff, which just made her a thousand times cuter.

Pineapple
Jan 14, 2003

by Fistgrrl

RazorBunny posted:

There were some fun moments like this with the older male corgi our friends had. Bear had been retired from herding when his owner decided to get out of flock animals and into horses, so they repurposed him as a ratter. Now, corgis are not ratters, but by God did Bear have a passion for hunting and killing rats. The best way to get him to make that noise you described was to say "Go get the rats, Bear!"

Even cuter was watching his daughter try to imitate him when she was just a teeny puppy. Same exact sound, but much higher and quieter. Then again, Lily was all about the "I'm a big dog!" stuff, which just made her a thousand times cuter.

Sometimes dogs will surprise you with what makes a good ratter. My mom's family had a litter of St Bernard/Rottie mixes when she was a kid that were excellent ratters and worked as a team to keep the rats out of the horse barn.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Pineapple posted:

Sometimes dogs will surprise you with what makes a good ratter. My mom's family had a litter of St Bernard/Rottie mixes when she was a kid that were excellent ratters and worked as a team to keep the rats out of the horse barn.

Oh, Bear was fantastic. He had a really keen nose and would sniff out pretty much any kind of rodent and then dispatch it, often by carefully digging up a nest without damaging much of the surrounding ground. They never had any squirrels on their farm :D

What was especially cute was that he would set off sniffing, and Lily would follow him, and along behind them was their daughter's boyfriend's Boxer. The two corgis were low to the ground and had pretty good noses, so they would follow a trail. Spike the big goof would come along behind and try to follow the trail, but had a fairly poor sense of smell and was easily distracted. It was hilarious to watch the three of them. They'd follow a relatively straight line and he'd be weaving like it was a ski slalom.

Spike lived in an apartment, so it was a big treat for him to come out to the farm and run around. The corgis thought he was awesome, especially Lily, who was young and liked to wrestle. The family also fostered dogs for a local humane society, and I had a hard time saying goodbye to the big red chow who liked to roll in the red clay mud. It was the same color as his fur, so when it dried you couldn't tell how dirty he was. I was petting him one day and was horrified that his hair color was coming off on my hands! It was great.

I only met Connor once, when he was a tiny sleepy puppy. They bought him to give Lily a permanent buddy when Bear died. My sister said he was always present at the foxhunts they went on, and wanted to run with the beagles. He was also quite comfortable being hauled up in a saddle with someone and riding around on the horses.

I would never own a corgi because I value my sanity, but they are very cool little dogs.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Where's my goddamned milk?!

RazorBunny posted:

Oh, Bear was fantastic. He had a really keen nose and would sniff out pretty much any kind of rodent and then dispatch it, often by carefully digging up a nest without damaging much of the surrounding ground. They never had any squirrels on their farm :D

What was especially cute was that he would set off sniffing, and Lily would follow him, and along behind them was their daughter's boyfriend's Boxer. The two corgis were low to the ground and had pretty good noses, so they would follow a trail. Spike the big goof would come along behind and try to follow the trail, but had a fairly poor sense of smell and was easily distracted. It was hilarious to watch the three of them. They'd follow a relatively straight line and he'd be weaving like it was a ski slalom.

Spike lived in an apartment, so it was a big treat for him to come out to the farm and run around. The corgis thought he was awesome, especially Lily, who was young and liked to wrestle. The family also fostered dogs for a local humane society, and I had a hard time saying goodbye to the big red chow who liked to roll in the red clay mud. It was the same color as his fur, so when it dried you couldn't tell how dirty he was. I was petting him one day and was horrified that his hair color was coming off on my hands! It was great.

I only met Connor once, when he was a tiny sleepy puppy. They bought him to give Lily a permanent buddy when Bear died. My sister said he was always present at the foxhunts they went on, and wanted to run with the beagles. He was also quite comfortable being hauled up in a saddle with someone and riding around on the horses.

Right on, I'm always amused by the versatility of Corgis. Our breeder is apparently teaching her Cardigans tracking, to give them another activity.

quote:

I would never own a corgi because I value my sanity, but they are very cool little dogs.

Cardigans are more laid back than Pems, just saying...

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

I'm a little cat in a pretty hat!

sucks to ur assmar posted:

I always wonder why people make the connection that when Pet Island tells them they bought a dog from a lousy source, it's also assumed that everyone thinks they're stupid for loving the dog and should kill it or something. People are weird.

Maybe they just feel they have to justify loving it since it's not well bred or an "insult to the breed". And since people get emotionally attached to animals it's hard to separate "I went with a bad source, I'll do better next time" and "She came from a bad place, she is a failure because of it," especially because there is a connotation that there is something wrong with the dog if it comes from a pet store (valid because a lot of them are sickly, have genetic issues because of poor breeding, etc.) Just my thoughts. My parents/my childhood dog was a BYB Lasa. We got lucky that he's been pretty much healthy for all his 13 years. When we got him, it didn't even cross my mind that it might have been a bad idea.

Also corgis are awesome and cute and I will never have one because I doubt I have the time and energy to take care of one properly. Also, I doubt my cat would like the addition, she was already getting nervous just listening to the "corgi noises".

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

anachrodragon posted:

Cardigans are more laid back than Pems, just saying...

I don't know if it's possible to be less laid back than a Pembroke.

Now that I think about it, Bear was fairly chill when he wasn't chasing rats. Lily was probably just nuts because she was a puppy. I swear to God that dog did not STOP.

Honestly I have never met a breed I didn't like, though. I'm honest enough to admit that right now I am too lazy for a high-energy breed, and I want an easy transition into dog ownership, but there is nothing stopping me from getting a more "challenging" dog later in life.

Miss Indy
Nov 3, 2002

On barking:

Sach, I'm pretty sure there is a huge difference between Afghans and corgis, in that corgis will absolutely bark and bark often. Almost every corgi I have ever met will bark and bark at the slightest of provocations, and most owners either don't correct it or are unable to do so. This is part of what they were meant to do, not just herd but also be a watchdog for the farm. In working with my dogs on this issue, just verbally correcting their indoor barking did not work. I was extremely consistent, but they would still bark at the slightest noise.

The method I used to fix this goes like this- the dogs are always allowed one free bark. They can and will bark at everything from the cats getting into something, a neighbor walking down stairs, or a squirrel on the deck. That's fine with me, that's part of owning this breed of dog and I'm cool with it. If I don't want them to continue, I tell them "that's enough". If they bark even once after I give them that command, I say "too bad", and nothing more. They are then led by the collar into a room, and I shut them in there for 10-15 seconds. This is really a harsh punishment for them, because they are removed from the exciting stimulus that is causing the bark, which sucks for them. When the time out is up, I open the door and ignore them and let them do their thing. If they are crying/barking or pawing the door, they aren't let out until they stop. If they bark again within a minute or two of being let out, I say "too bad" again and they go right back in the room. You don't say "that's enough" again until about 10-15 minutes have passed. It only took a few time outs before they were nearly 100% reliable at shutting up when I say so.

Now, there are instances in which I will never correct them for barking. I will actually encourage it in certain circumstances. 1) If some strange person walks on my deck or by a window, and 2) If there is something absolutely wrong with either my husband or I. I passed out a few months ago in a gated off room, and my Cardi put up the most ferocious barking that it freaked my husband up out of bed. He was charging the gate and trying to get help, and we rewarded him big time for that.

flutterbyblue posted:

Maybe they just feel they have to justify loving it since it's not well bred or an "insult to the breed". And since people get emotionally attached to animals it's hard to separate "I went with a bad source, I'll do better next time" and "She came from a bad place, she is a failure because of it," especially because there is a connotation that there is something wrong with the dog if it comes from a pet store (valid because a lot of them are sickly, have genetic issues because of poor breeding, etc.) Just my thoughts. My parents/my childhood dog was a BYB Lasa. We got lucky that he's been pretty much healthy for all his 13 years. When we got him, it didn't even cross my mind that it might have been a bad idea.

The thing is, most people who have gotten their badly bred corgis are infurioratingly indignant about it. They think the dog is fine in this moment, therefore the dog will always be medically fine. That just isn't the case, as most genetic illnesses show up years into the dog's life. And if you really luck out and don't have problems with it, they wrongly think that all BYB/milled dogs are a-ok. It's that attitude that I have a problem with, because it means that there are going to be more of these badly bred corgis produced. If someone genuinely realizes the error of their ways and does it right next time, the lesson is learned and hopefully it doesn't bite them too hard in the rear end.

RazorBunny posted:

ratting corgi

A lot of people don't realize that the purpose of a corgi is not just to herd the farmer's sheep. They were meant to be an all-around working dog for the farmer. Meaning, they would go herd some lifestock, go do some ratting, act as a watchdog, and hang out with the family. They aren't as neurotic about herding as other dogs are... say the border collie. Corgis will go herd the sheep, and chillax with his family on the couch afterwards. That's what I really like about these breeds, they aren't anywhere near the neurotic "gogogo" drive that borders and other herders have. Not that this dog is good for someone who is a dog novice!

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

^^I guess that makes sense, really.

Lily definitely had as much herding neurosis and energy as any border collie I've met, but she did calm down as an adult and respond to correction when she did things like try to herd toddlers :D

I don't have the pictures, but they went to some kind of large gathering for corgi owners with Lily and Connor. My dad said that the corgis were trying to herd each other and that it was really cute. He showed me photos of like fifty corgis just chilling out in a park after they had tuckered themselves out chasing and sniffing each other.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Ace went to the groomers for the first time this week and came back looking very handsome. (Also I got a new phone with a nice camera)

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

He is nuts.

elf pr0n
Oct 13, 2002

They fucking better have lemon cakes.
Awww what a cute scarf :3:

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

I thought I might as well ask for advice here. Our corgi pup has learned this new game called "if I sit by the door they'll take me outside." We're trying to move away from taking her outside to go potty pre-emptively, and rather let her tell us when she needs to go out. The problem is that she wants to go outside every five minutes.

We only take her directly to her potty area (we don't let her run around the yard), and if she doesn't go potty (which is most of the time), then we bring her back in and put her in her crate and ignore her for about 10 minutes. Now for the instances she does go potty, we let her explore the yard for a bit if she wants to. I was hoping that she'd get the hint that going potty = getting to sniff around the yard.

I don't want to ignore her when she sits at the door, because I do want her to communicate with us when she needs to go. Plus there have been times that ignoring her led to accidents, because I thought she was crying wolf when she really wasn't. Ah the joys of having a smart dog...

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Yay, first visit to the dog park and it's time for a photodump!

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

Makin friends

He got into a fight with the lake, I'm pretty sure the lake won.

gogogiraffes
Dec 27, 2007

Miss Indy posted:

Blond/white isn't one of their coat colors. There are red/whites (which can range in the reds... your "blonds" are actually reds), tri colors, and sables.

Cardigans come in red/white, black/white, merle, sable, and brindle.

I was reading on the AKC website, and there is a color called Fawn, which is a red that appears to be washed out. So that could be the blond that is being referred to.

Anyway.. here's some of mine, This was Gizmo's first visit to the dog park, his friend is a chihuahua/corgi mix.

Eff Jay
Dec 6, 2008

xboobookittifkxx posted:

I was reading on the AKC website, and there is a color called Fawn, which is a red that appears to be washed out. So that could be the blond that is being referred to.

Anyway.. here's some of mine, This was Gizmo's first visit to the dog park, his friend is a chihuahua/corgi mix.

Giz is a tank! I just want to steal him! That mix is really cool looking too. Corgis always make a fun dog to see mixed with some others :D

gogogiraffes
Dec 27, 2007

Eff Jay posted:

Giz is a tank! I just want to steal him! That mix is really cool looking too. Corgis always make a fun dog to see mixed with some others :D

I thought he was tiny! He's about 20 pounds and almost 7 months! I want a dorgi (dachshund x corgi) like the queen has. I think that would be so funny to see.

gogogiraffes fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Feb 25, 2009

Eff Jay
Dec 6, 2008

It might just be the pose, but he looks like he's got quite a bulky front in. Frank, my corgi which I'm slacking on posting pics of, was a really big puppy but then never got much bigger. I just love the way Gizmo's front shoulders look, real solid!

And I totall agree on the Dorgis, they're some cool looking dogs.

gogogiraffes
Dec 27, 2007

I dunno though, he is pretty just solid. I almost got his brother who was a few pounds more than him (but he pee'd on me so no). But his dad is almost too big to show sometimes, so I think that might that coming out.

I just can't wait for his chest to grow in. I think he'll be huge then.

gogogiraffes fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Feb 25, 2009

Miss Indy
Nov 3, 2002

anachrodragon posted:

I thought I might as well ask for advice here. Our corgi pup has learned this new game called "if I sit by the door they'll take me outside." We're trying to move away from taking her outside to go potty pre-emptively, and rather let her tell us when she needs to go out. The problem is that she wants to go outside every five minutes.

We only take her directly to her potty area (we don't let her run around the yard), and if she doesn't go potty (which is most of the time), then we bring her back in and put her in her crate and ignore her for about 10 minutes. Now for the instances she does go potty, we let her explore the yard for a bit if she wants to. I was hoping that she'd get the hint that going potty = getting to sniff around the yard.

I don't want to ignore her when she sits at the door, because I do want her to communicate with us when she needs to go. Plus there have been times that ignoring her led to accidents, because I thought she was crying wolf when she really wasn't. Ah the joys of having a smart dog...

Congratulations, you've been hoodwinked by your dog. Know that this is the first of many manipulations to come :)

My dog did exactly this when we were potty training him. The best advice I can give is twofold. First, attach a command to pottying. For mine, it's "go potty". When she goes outside, say that command EVERY TIME she goes and praise her like hell when she does. When she goes outside and is sniffing around to find a spot, say the command. She will eventually put two and two together, faster than you might think. I also never used outside for playing so he wouldn't get confused and think he could "ask" to go outside to play. Outside was for pottying and pottying only for the first few weeks.

Once our dog started manipulating us like yours is doing to you, we went back to a very strict crate schedule. He was either in the crate, or out doing a specific activity. There was no "hanging out" outside his crate for a week or two until he got it firmly in his noggin that I wasn't going to make a game of this.

So, just as an example, here's a sample of the schedule we kept him on:

7am, wake up and go out for potty
7:15, back to crate while I got ready for work
7:45, breakfast and quick play session
8:15, potty and back to crate
11:00, dog walker comes by, dog is let out for potty
11:10, play with dog walker inside
12:00, back to crate
3:00, I get home and let him out for potties
3:10, intense play
4:10, potty
4:20, crate

....and so on. He never was allowed to just loiter around until he had stopped with the potty trick. Know that your puppy will reliably have to go after being in a crate for a period of time, after intense play, and after eating. If you let her out consistently after those activities, she will get it much faster. Be consistent and don't let her push you around, or you will have a terror on your hands when she reaches adulthood.

EDIT: Almost forgot. To cue the behavior where she tells you when she needs to go, always have her do something specific before you take her outside (when you know she has to go). My dogs must sit by the door if they want out. So before I would let them out as puppies, they had to sit and then I would take them out. Now as adults, every single time they want out they sit and wait by the door. You can also bell train her, but I don't have experience with that.

Miss Indy fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Feb 25, 2009

The Age of Decay
Mar 17, 2005

I am good at computer,

Miss Indy posted:

bell training

Bell training is just as easy as training them to sit by the door. We accidentally trained my parents husky around christmas time by having bells on the door. It worked so well we trained the other two pups we got there after by ringing the bell our selves before they went out and they caught on. its really nice in a bigger house where you cant always see the door and it makes your pets look incredibly smart and impressive to visitors :D.

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
Did someone say Dorgi?

I suspect Marlowe is a Dorgi, maybe with something else tossed in.

I was actually in search of a Pembroke before I got him, but I couldn't find a breeder that I really felt comfortable with and after putting so much time and effort into things I got frustrated and gave up. Enter Marlowe!

I'd still love to have a Pembroke one day, though those Vallhunds are tempting, too...

Zombiesinmyshower!
Nov 14, 2006

by angerbotSD
Doggy park cuteness!

I have to admit, sometimes deep down I do wish that at least ONE of the two breeds that I generally keep around me would make a good park dog. It does look rather fun, especially the video posted in the hound thread with greyhounds racing around the park and having fun.

I think more than anything its that I wish Akitas could be trusted off leash. I would love to see Meiko tear rear end through an entire field, Akitas run like little baby deer.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Miss Indy posted:

Congratulations, you've been hoodwinked by your dog. Know that this is the first of many manipulations to come :)

My dog did exactly this when we were potty training him. The best advice I can give is twofold. First, attach a command to pottying. For mine, it's "go potty". When she goes outside, say that command EVERY TIME she goes and praise her like hell when she does. When she goes outside and is sniffing around to find a spot, say the command. She will eventually put two and two together, faster than you might think. I also never used outside for playing so he wouldn't get confused and think he could "ask" to go outside to play. Outside was for pottying and pottying only for the first few weeks.

Once our dog started manipulating us like yours is doing to you, we went back to a very strict crate schedule. He was either in the crate, or out doing a specific activity. There was no "hanging out" outside his crate for a week or two until he got it firmly in his noggin that I wasn't going to make a game of this.

So, just as an example, here's a sample of the schedule we kept him on:

7am, wake up and go out for potty
7:15, back to crate while I got ready for work
7:45, breakfast and quick play session
8:15, potty and back to crate
11:00, dog walker comes by, dog is let out for potty
11:10, play with dog walker inside
12:00, back to crate
3:00, I get home and let him out for potties
3:10, intense play
4:10, potty
4:20, crate

....and so on. He never was allowed to just loiter around until he had stopped with the potty trick. Know that your puppy will reliably have to go after being in a crate for a period of time, after intense play, and after eating. If you let her out consistently after those activities, she will get it much faster. Be consistent and don't let her push you around, or you will have a terror on your hands when she reaches adulthood.

EDIT: Almost forgot. To cue the behavior where she tells you when she needs to go, always have her do something specific before you take her outside (when you know she has to go). My dogs must sit by the door if they want out. So before I would let them out as puppies, they had to sit and then I would take them out. Now as adults, every single time they want out they sit and wait by the door. You can also bell train her, but I don't have experience with that.

I think you're right that we just need to crate her more when she's pulling that trick. She does know "go potty." Her breeder actually started with that before we even got her, so she had a good start on potty training from the beginning. In fact she's been great up until very recently. I think what we're dealing with now is that at 17 weeks she's decided it's time to push her boundaries. She's realized that going to the door is one area where she has control, because we will take her outside rather than have an accident in the house. So yeah, I don't think we can quite trust her to communicate with us without trying to manipulate us just yet.

Strangely enough we actually saw two Cardigans at our dog training class earlier this week. We spoke to one of the owners, she was this older German lady who had a beautiful sable Cardigan. She asked where we got Josie and we said C-Myste, and she said in a thick German accent "ahhh yes, I know them from the shows, they are good." Then she gave us this knowing look and asked "Is this your first?" When we said yes, she said "I have had corgis 40 years, they are very stubborn you know." We said yeah, we're noticing that. ;)

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
I think a few of these made it to the post your pictures thread, but here they are again anyway:

Sometime in the first year of owning him I believe.

Click here for the full 600x800 image.

He stands whenever he wants anything. It's fairly effective.

Click here for the full 600x800 image.

The two smiling shots. These are easily my favorites, at least until the next round of pictures probably.

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

Curled into a ball. He does this a bunch when gnawing at an itch.

Huh, what?

Gimme!

Wandering around the yard.

I wouldn't say he likes baths, but he definitely likes the time right after the bath when he gets to roll around on a towel for half an hour.

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

Most recent shot. I'm pretty sure that look in his eyes is a look of confusion at to why he's wrapped in a blanket.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

I got Igby from the Houston SPCA a few weeks before I went to Iraq in 2005 and they were guessing he was under a year old. I'm amazed at how smart Igby is and his protectionist tendencies are really interesting. One of note is whenever he's in bed with me and I cough, he lays his head on my neck and won't move. He can definitely tell when I'm sick, or anything along those lines, and seems to really try to do something about it.

He's also obsessed with licking every single person that comes in the house and will do so for hours if you let him. He knows not to lick me, but his over-affection with other people is legendary. I think the only habit I'm still working on is convincing him that staring at people while they're eating is not an effective way to be fed. I don't allow anyone to feed him from their plate, but he sure as hell keeps trying.

Also, he really likes mangos, broccoli, spinach, and apples. Especially mangos. Any reason I shouldn't feed him these things? I didn't see them on the lists I found online of things to not feed dogs. He gets them when I'm cooking, other than the mangos which are a treat at this point, and it's not terribly often. I swear he'd eat anything i give him, but he doesn't process meat well and has been eating vegetarian dog food for years.

Pooptron2003 posted:

Also, his farts smell like the holocaust

... but I don't have any pictures of that.
Igby freaks out whenever he farts. He'll run out of the room in terror for some reason and it's terribly funny... until the smell hits you.

londerwost posted:

She knows all the words for food.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTjk_2ex8Z8
Holy crap is that cute. I've got to get a Cardigan next, the tail is so adorable.

Igby used to play with my roommate's dog in the back yard, he'd chase him around for like half an hour, and they had just figured out how to play tug of war with a rope when my roommate moved. Guess I'll have to get another one just so he has someone to play with when I'm tired of throwing the frisbee.

Any suggestions for buying in the Houston area? Doubt I'll find another one at the SPCA and I'd like to get a puppy this time. Probably won't be until the end of the year at least though.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Any tips on where to get MY GIRLFRIEND and me a corgi in Minnesota? We'd really like to get one from an SPCA-sort of place instead of a breeder, but if that's what we must do then we must do it! We want a puppy oh so very badly :ohdear:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

scuz posted:

Any tips on where to get MY GIRLFRIEND and me a corgi in Minnesota? We'd really like to get one from an SPCA-sort of place instead of a breeder, but if that's what we must do then we must do it! We want a puppy oh so very badly :ohdear:

I go by the SPCA in Houston every week or so and Igby was the first corgi I ever saw there. I wasn't ever expecting to find one in the first place and I doubt you'd find a puppy.

Now, what you might be able to do is get a friend that works there, or volunteer yourself, and then you'd know as soon as one gets there.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

scuz posted:

Hey TF2 buddy!

I would Google around for a rescue group in the area, because they would definitely be the best chance of finding a Corgi who needs your help (since you want a purebred dog) but trying to find a puppy while keeping those circumstances in mind is a bit far-fetched.

I'd say you should just figure out what your priorities are (rescuing a dog vs. having that exact type of dog) because I keep getting mixed messages from your post. If time is no concern at all, you could try to wait it out and hope to get lucky but honestly the chances of finding a purebred corgi puppy are extremely small. I'd recommend just choosing an awesome dog from a shelter who fits your personal preferences.

SachielDVangel
Jun 4, 2003

scuz posted:

http://www.lakeshorecorgi.com/states/minnesota.htm

http://www.lakeshorecorgirescue.com/available.html

good luck.

maso
Jul 6, 2004

fuck bitches get stud fees

Sir Tonk posted:

but he doesn't process meat well and has been eating vegetarian dog food for years.
Seems to me like the answer's right in front of you.

elf pr0n
Oct 13, 2002

RabbitMage posted:

Did someone say Dorgi?

I suspect Marlowe is a Dorgi, maybe with something else tossed in.

I was actually in search of a Pembroke before I got him, but I couldn't find a breeder that I really felt comfortable with and after putting so much time and effort into things I got frustrated and gave up. Enter Marlowe!

I'd still love to have a Pembroke one day, though those Vallhunds are tempting, too...

Oh my god he's so cute :swoon:

What kind of dogs get along with corgis other than corgis themselves?

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

elf pr0n posted:

What are you asking, if corgis are racist against other dogs? Any dog can get along with other dogs as long as all dogs in question are socialized...

elf pr0n
Oct 13, 2002

adventure in the sandbox posted:

What are you asking, if corgis are racist against other dogs? Any dog can get along with other dogs as long as all dogs in question are socialized...

I've heard basset hounds and corgis are perfect matches for living together

Stuff like that I don't know :ohdear:

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Ace is best buddies with my grandma's greyhound. Talk about the odd couple...

Nessecitas
May 26, 2005

MURDER

elf pr0n posted:

Look at those faces... isn't it obvious? Corgis get along with everybody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Parachute posted:

Hey TF2 buddy!
Hey! :)

Anyways, I would say that my priorities would be to rescue a dog/puppy before choosing to go to a breeder, and if there happens to be a corgi at a shelter that would be perfect.

Also when I say "puppy" I don't exactly mean a young dog; I call all dogs puppies regardless of their age cuz I'm a weirdo :unsmith:

Thanks for the links, SachielDVangel!

• Locked thread