Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

Yeah, that's what I figured. She stills seems to be wanting to go forward with it, but maybe one of the breeders she's going to meet will be able to talk some sense into her. Honestly, I think if she's gonna get a dog, it should be an old dog. Or another cat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

My in laws have Shitzuhs and they're basically throw pillows.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Drum posted:

Hey guys, my sister has been wanting to get a dog since she moved, and she's decided on a Cardi, and she's going to a dog show next month to meet with some breeders from around Texas. She wants a young adult/adult, and is looking into a retired show bitch. There are some issues, though:

- She lives in a 3rd floor apartment. Top floor, so the dog wouldn't be screaming at upstairs neighbors, at least, but she does share one wall with another apartment.
- She's never really spent much time around dogs. First-time dog owner, herding breed doesn't seem like a great idea.
- She's at work all day. Comes home for lunch, though, but goes out after work and on weekends a lot.
- Her cat, Arcee, is just under a year old, and is a bitey little rageball. I'd be afraid to leave a dog alone with that.

Should I make an attempt to talk her out of it - into getting another breed, or not getting a dog at all? If I've got that day off, I may go with her to the show, make sure she's asking the right questions and all.

Herding breeds aren't magical, impossible to handle monsters. Corgis aren't particularly easy dogs, and I think unfortunately a lot of people find themselves attracted to their appearance without understanding there's a working dog beneath the fluff and stubs. But, they're just dogs, and dogs have different personalities, and it could work if she does her homework and really looks for a dog that matches what she'll be able to provide for it. I sort of think that expecting a breeder to pass off a retired show bitch to a first time dog owner who lives in an apartment and who has a cat may be a tall order -- expecting to find a few breeders who will be willing to do that so she has the ability to choose a dog best fit for her lifestyle is taller.

I don't see any particular red flags in her situation as you describe above. But the devil will be in the details I think.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Panda can be needy, desires attention and activities but what dog doesn't? She's actually pretty mild compared to a lot of "Corgi Stories" I hear. Both my wife and I are out during the day so she stays at home and is a little rambunctious in the evenings but we make sure she gets an active day on the weekend and she's pretty happy. More than anything, she just wants to be near us and get a little attention.

Cats on the other hand could be problem with any dog. Our two cats are jealous of her and she's jealous right back. They mostly get along but I think they trigger her herding genes because all she wants to do is either make sure they stay out of an area or keep them from leaving an area.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Does anyone have any experience with Corgis and smaller breed dogs? We have a toy sized chihuahua and were thinking of getting a corgi. The chihuahua gets a long with other dogs after a little bit so I'm not worried about her. Would they be 'pack' buddies?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Does anyone have any experience with Corgis and smaller breed dogs? We have a toy sized chihuahua and were thinking of getting a corgi. The chihuahua gets a long with other dogs after a little bit so I'm not worried about her. Would they be 'pack' buddies?

My corgi prefers playing with larger dogs. He'll play with tiny dogs but he's very careful about it.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

My neighbor has a (poorly trained, slightly rear end in a top hat) terrier/shitzhu mix, and our corgi loves him and plays more gently with him and other small dogs than he does with bigger dogs.

But our corgi loves basically any dog that doesn't outright attack him, so ymmv I suppose. We did socialize him extensively while he was young.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
Tegan is a bitch to other dogs if they get in her face, but she loves cats. She and my ex's kitten used to gently wrestle all the time.

sk8bored
May 23, 2007
And so it begins first picture from the breeder of our girl, my fiancée and I will be picking her up late October.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
Honestly a Corgi can still have range of personalities... Mine is a huge couch potato and only wants to run around if you get him jazzed and worked up, or for about 2 minutes a day when he gets the zoomies. He gets left home alone for the entire work day and we basically find him where we left him... on the couch or sitting in front of the door growling at people passing by.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

extravadanza posted:

Honestly a Corgi can still have range of personalities... Mine is a huge couch potato and only wants to run around if you get him jazzed and worked up, or for about 2 minutes a day when he gets the zoomies. He gets left home alone for the entire work day and we basically find him where we left him... on the couch or sitting in front of the door growling at people passing by.

Mine too. He hates to go for walks and is a big couch potato. Gets bored of fetch after 10 mins, won't run around in the yard for too long, and doesn't get destructive at all. He's a good boy but I do wish he liked to go on walks with me! Today he wanted to turn around and go home after 5 minutes.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice
Mine will do half a fetch. Maybe. What she really enjoys is chasing squirrels or cats, or some other dogs. Or having a bone in her mouth, and being chased by me. Sometimes tug of war works. Walks are good but "OMG SMELLS" is an issue still.

I can throw a ball or a frisbee, and my sisters dach will go nuts. Sam? It'll hit her in the face and stare at me like, "I can't eat this, the gently caress am I supposed to do with it?"

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I have a mix. One is super high energy, wants to play all the time, can't be around balls or she loses her mind barking. Another is really playful but had a bad upbringing and I got him as a 2 year old with basically no training. He never barks but get's a lot of energy and is just generally goofy. Another one is a big loaf that just wants to be scratched all the time and might play for about 10 minutes a day, she's pretty barky though.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

a life less posted:

Herding breeds aren't magical, impossible to handle monsters. Corgis aren't particularly easy dogs, and I think unfortunately a lot of people find themselves attracted to their appearance without understanding there's a working dog beneath the fluff and stubs. But, they're just dogs, and dogs have different personalities, and it could work if she does her homework and really looks for a dog that matches what she'll be able to provide for it. I sort of think that expecting a breeder to pass off a retired show bitch to a first time dog owner who lives in an apartment and who has a cat may be a tall order -- expecting to find a few breeders who will be willing to do that so she has the ability to choose a dog best fit for her lifestyle is taller.

I don't see any particular red flags in her situation as you describe above. But the devil will be in the details I think.

lol the longer i work in dog training the more i wish pet owners wouldn't get herding breed dogs.

Tulenian
Sep 15, 2007

Getting my 'burg on.
Corgis have such a huge variance between dogs. We have one insanely crazy but passes out when you're not paying attention to her corgi, and the other is usually awake but is content to lay about and ask for nothing more than constant pets. If you happen to get the former as your first dog and don't have time to play with them they can go a little crazy and start acting out.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
I can't believe my luck! Their is a corgi at the pound and his owners haven't claimed him yet! I have to wait until Tuesday but I am really hoping I can get this cute guy!

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Is it at all possible to get a pembroke that hasn't had its tail docked by a legitimate breeder? I've spoken to a few breeders and none of them will not dock the animal, it seems so senseless to a non-working corgi. :(

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Knifegrab posted:

Is it at all possible to get a pembroke that hasn't had its tail docked by a legitimate breeder? I've spoken to a few breeders and none of them will not dock the animal, it seems so senseless to a non-working corgi. :(

Most pembrokes are docked by mother nature before they're born, although sometimes they'll have a longer stump. Where are you finding all these pembrokes with tails?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Cat Hatter posted:

Most pembrokes are docked by mother nature before they're born, although sometimes they'll have a longer stump. Where are you finding all these pembrokes with tails?

I've seen quite a few from here and there! I realize some pembrokes blood line does have a naturally docked or stumped tail but lots can still have full normal tails! Either way, I'd want the pup to not have his tail removed, whether that means he naturally doesn't have one or has a stump is all fine by me.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Corgihavers, I plan on getting a corgi puppy in the next couple of months (probably taking the puppy home between 3-6 months from now). How long before I plan on taking a puppy home should I start sending out emails/applications to breeders? Located in Southern California if that matters.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice
The sooner the better. My experience when looking for one, was most breeders would have most of the puppies claimed, either pre-birth, or before they were ready to go home. I'd start inquiring as early as possible. You're going to be at the whims of waiting lists, and birth cycles.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Welp I think my mom's dog Lucy is like 11 or 12 now. She has to take incontinence pills now because I started noticing her fur was wet in the morning. And she cant stand the antibiotics for her bladder infection so she's probably going to get a shot, then she probably has Addison's Disease, and that's why a lot of her fur didn't grow back evenly.

She seems perkier than ever though.

Just curious what the price range for these tests are in other places. Her blood test was $50, urine test $40. And the Addison's Disease test is going to be $190 (have to wait until the bladder infection is cleared)

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

Meet Waffles. We were interviewed and placed on a waiting list with the breeder nine months prior to the arrival of her litter, so we were waiting close to a year before we finally took her home.

(I have a sneaking suspicion that she may actually be a rabbit, rather than a Corgi.)

We received a GoPro Hero and dog harness for Christmas, so we went out for a walk to try it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVOvKdIOqaQ

She also loves our cats, though they want nothing to do with her: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJk4xVqXfiY

Going to the car wash: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvMRgF1PBRo

Running up and down the stairs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZRFuuSYXUc

Waffles is only 10 months old, but we still have somehow managed to take approximately 3000 pictures of her. She's a very pretty girl, and people lose their goddamn minds whenever we take her out in public.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

thylacine posted:

Welp I think my mom's dog Lucy is like 11 or 12 now. She has to take incontinence pills now because I started noticing her fur was wet in the morning. And she cant stand the antibiotics for her bladder infection so she's probably going to get a shot, then she probably has Addison's Disease, and that's why a lot of her fur didn't grow back evenly.

She seems perkier than ever though.

Just curious what the price range for these tests are in other places. Her blood test was $50, urine test $40. And the Addison's Disease test is going to be $190 (have to wait until the bladder infection is cleared)

Our girl has Addisons. She is around 9 right now. The worst part is the requirement that you have to periodically keep testing them to make sure the meds don't need to be adjusted and that gets pretty expensive. We were at least able to find a better deal on meds. A month supply was costing us around 100 and the vet hooked us up with their supplier. Now we get 2 months supply for 60.

I'd be curious to know if it actually is Addisons because in our case we either had to bring her in or she would have died for sure. Doesn't seem like a disease they can just limp along with.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
If anyone's looking to transform their love of Corgis into a bizarre platformer

http://store.steampowered.com/app/414920/

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

ApexAftermath posted:

Our girl has Addisons. She is around 9 right now. The worst part is the requirement that you have to periodically keep testing them to make sure the meds don't need to be adjusted and that gets pretty expensive. We were at least able to find a better deal on meds. A month supply was costing us around 100 and the vet hooked us up with their supplier. Now we get 2 months supply for 60.

I'd be curious to know if it actually is Addisons because in our case we either had to bring her in or she would have died for sure. Doesn't seem like a disease they can just limp along with.

Weird, my doctor said several times "this isn't an emergency we can treat it whenever once you decide." Had her pee tested today and her bladder infection cleared up (after getting the shot because she wasn't eating with pills, poor old lady), so hopefully her owners/my parents will get on the Addison's test soon (once I remind them 20 times over the next month or two.)

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

thylacine posted:

Weird, my doctor said several times "this isn't an emergency we can treat it whenever once you decide." Had her pee tested today and her bladder infection cleared up (after getting the shot because she wasn't eating with pills, poor old lady), so hopefully her owners/my parents will get on the Addison's test soon (once I remind them 20 times over the next month or two.)

Look at this poor old lady-her fur didn't grow back right-the vet says it's Addison's (and she has a pot belly).

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice
Does anyone have experience with their corgi breaking their teeth on chew bones? Mine got one of her minor teeth pulled today as it was totally wrecked. I never would have guessed something like that could happen to dogs, and was curious of it was just a one off, or possibly a corgi thing. Needless to say I've got to find a softer chew for her. She needs it for when she wants to be fierce, and the cat won't play.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Dogs breaking teeth on bones isn't uncommon. Especially things like those smoked beef bones (or raw ones). Avoid weight bearing bones completely if you really want to avoid broken teeth. I wish I had!

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice
Well we give her Himalayan Chews, instead of actual bones. Not really sure what I want to switch her to next, as now I'm concerned this might happen again with a bigger tooth.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Lucy's always gotten those plastic ones that are flavored. They're like, bone shaped with bumps on them in a different color.

It's the only thing she's never been able to completely destroy.

And, she has Addison's disease, but the vet said she'll just lose some more hair and her belly will grow some if it's not treated. But it won't kill her. That's weird someone else's vet said it was something that has to be taken care of ASAP.

Dunno if my parents are going to treat it or not, I wouldn't. She's already old and doesn't really tolerate pills well at all anymore.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

thylacine posted:

Look at this poor old lady-her fur didn't grow back right-the vet says it's Addison's (and she has a pot belly).

I thought Cushings (opposite of Addisons) caused the pot belly? Or do both? hmm

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

I thought Cushings (opposite of Addisons) caused the pot belly? Or do both? hmm

Yep, it's Cushing's she has, I'm dumb and got it mixed up.

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.
I just finished reading this whole thread. All of you have awesome dogs!

I'm getting a puppy this summer with my girlfriend. We've been preparing for it since last summer, we've bought a bunch of toys and other dog related stuff already, but we still haven't bought a cage or a collar. A few pages back, somebody asked about cage size for Corgis, and the recommendation was to get a 36" cage (this one http://www.amazon.com/Precision-Pet-Black-ProValu-Crate/dp/B0010ZH656/). We're getting a Cardigan, so I'm wondering if that means our cage should be even bigger than that?
As for the collar, is there any reason why we shouldn't get a harness? I've seen some people suggest that using a harness will make the dog pull more, but we're definitely planning to properly train our puppy, so I'm hoping that this won't be a big issue for us.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Getting a harness that attaches to the leash from their chest rather than their back prevents pulling. Congrats on your pup!

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Have a corgster picture. She's not fat, it's just the Cushing's gives them a pot belly. And she started her meds for it yesterday, hopefully she can tolerate 'em.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Tegan is 7.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

thylacine posted:

Have a corgster picture. She's not fat, it's just the Cushing's gives them a pot belly. And she started her meds for it yesterday, hopefully she can tolerate 'em.

If anybody's following along with me rambling about Lucy, the they noticed the Cushing's meds weren't working after the second test, so the vet did some more tests and sadly, she has a big cancer tumor on her liver.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice
Noo. Not fair! :cry:

Is there anything they can do for her now? Or is it a matter of time/ making the decision?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Hobold posted:

Noo. Not fair! :cry:

Is there anything they can do for her now? Or is it a matter of time/ making the decision?

Just manage her pain, or pay for like 6-8,000 dollars in surgery, which isn't going to happen and might not do any good.

• Locked thread