Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

For Lack of a Better Name
:siren: DON'T BUY FROM BYB :siren:
How to spot a BYB (Back Yard Breeder):
*I know this guy...
*I found in the paper...
*All puppies available...
*Only lists AKC reg. (This means nothing since a genetically problematic purebreed can get AKC reg.)
*LACK OF INFO (BYBs know the less you know the better for them)

This was previously a "help me find a corgi puppy" thread. That was over a year ago, and thanks to the advice in this thread we brought home the perfect Cardigan Corgi pup, from a great breeder. Still the thread lives on, as a general corgi picture and advice thread.

So if you have a corgi or corgi mix, post pictures here (there can never be too many cute corgi pictures). For those of you looking for general information, I'm adding a FAQ below.

FAQ

What is a Corgi?

Corgis are short legged herding dogs that originated in Wales. There are two breeds of Welsh Corgis, the Cardigan Welsh Corgi and the Pembroke Welsh Corgi. They are similarly short statured, but have differences in size and body shape. The Cardigan has a full bushy tail, while Pembrokes are naturally bob-tailed (or often docked if born with a tail). Cardigans are larger, and longer, with more rounded ears. Pembrokes are somewhat smaller, with more pointed ears. Cardigans come in a wide range of colors: brindle, blue merle, black, red, sable, tri-color. Pembroke colors are: red, sable, tri-color. You can find more information on the breed club websites: Cardigan Welsh Corgi Club or Pembroke Welsh Corgi Club.

What about the origins of these two breeds?

The Cardigan Welsh Corgi Club site says this:

quote:

Cardigan and Pembroke Welsh Corgis are of different origins. Pembroke Corgis come from the same lines as Terriers, Spitz and Schipperkes and became popular due to the Queen's influence. Cardigans are an older, rarer breed, coming from the same heritage as the Tekdal dogs, such as the Dachshund. They remained in the hands of the old farmers and breeders, who continued to breed them selectively for the purpose of herding and family companions. The Cardigan temperament is more like a Collie or a well-bred German Shepherd Dog. Temperament and trainability are of the utmost importance.

The Pembroke Welsh Corgi Club site has this information (a lot more information at this link)

quote:

The Pembroke Corgi is a breed of the Spitz group - that Nordic group of dogs which is so easily recognized by a sharp-pointed muzzle and foxy face, erect and pointed ears, and a high set and gaily carried tail. Near relatives include the Swedish Vallhund (Vastergotland Spitz), the Norwegian Buhund, the old type Pomeranian and the Schipperke. Iris Combe, in her recent book on the origins of herding breeds also feels that the Corgi has a strong relationship to the Norwegian Lundehund - a puffin hunting dog of Norway.

It should also be noted that the breeds were not recognized as separate until 1934, and that there was interbreeding before that time, which may account for some similarity. (see more information on wikipedia).

What are their personalities like? Do they get along with other animals? Children?

This will be subjective and vary dog by dog. Both breeds were developed as all purpose farm dogs, whose duties included herding, guarding, killing rodents, family companionship, and even hunting in some cases. They are adaptable dogs who like to have a job to do. While Cardigans have a reputation for being slightly more reserved than Pembrokes, both breeds will get into trouble if bored. As an inquisitive herding dog, it is best to keep your Corgi mentally stimulated with activities of your choosing, rather than let them invent activities of thier own.

The Pembroke Welsh Corgi Club has this to say about getting along with other pets and children (from my experience, this seems aplicable to Cardigans as well).

quote:

Many breeders have cats and other pets who have close relationships with their dogs, and others make an effort to introduce their puppies to other species during their early socialization. Common sense is needed in introducing the puppy to a small cage pet so that no one gets nipped, and Pup understands that the ferret or bunny is a pet and not something to be "dispatched" (remember that Pembrokes are farm dogs, and ratting is one of the jobs!) Pembrokes living with other dogs, especially larger breeds, generally become the "boss" and herd the others around (sometimes to their annoyance). They are also happy to herd up errant children, especially if they're running, and the parents must be consistent in correcting this behavior from the beginning to prevent a later problem with "nipping heels." It may be cute in a baby puppy, but a pinch on the heel or calf from a larger and still enthusiastic herder hurts! Ask the breeder for helpful hints.

Corgis are loyal dogs that need an outlet for their working instincts. They may be on the small side, but they are not toy dogs who are content with just being a companion. Both types of corgis have reputations for acting like "big dogs in small bodies". Be prepared to do training, provide mentally stimulating activities, perhaps even dog sports such as agility, rally or tracking.

Are Corgis good appartment dogs?

No. They have a tendency to bark when anything is "out of place", according to them. This could be your neighbor walking around, or an unfamiliar animal or person nearby, or a strange sound, or something about the TV or music bothers them. Remember, their original purpose included guarding the family and farm, so they consider it their duty to alert you if anything is amiss.

Personal annecdote: My husband was playing a new video game, and this game is an RPG, so there's a fair amount of inventory management and collecting/buying/selling crap. For some reason, our corgi hates the little "ding" sound the game makes when he sells something to a vendor, and of course he has to do this repeatedly during the game. So she'll work herself into a frenzy barking and growling at the Xbox/TV when he does this. It's the funniest loving thing, but it wouldn't be funny if were in an appartment and had neighbors to worry about.

What about shedding?

Both Cardigans and Pembrokes can shed considerably, especially when they drop their seasonal undercoat. This is what the Pembroke Welsh Corgi Club has to say:

quote:

Oh, yes, they shed! A spayed or neutered Corgi will generally shed their undercoat (the soft, lighter hair beneath their coarse outer coat) in prodigious amounts in the spring or summer and more than the usual frequent combing and brushing is then called for. A good bath, followed by some serious combing, will remove the "tufts," with a second bath and grooming in the next week or two to get out the remainder. If you want to put the soft "fur" out for the birds to build their nests with, you can provide "cashmere wallpaper" for every bird nest in your neighborhood! A philosophical thought: dogs either shed or need expensive haircuts--vacuum cleaner bags are cheaper than the local groomer!!

Are Corgis healthy breeds? Are they prone to particular health problems?

From Wikipedia:

quote:

Both the Cardigan and Pembroke Welsh Corgi are among the healthiest and longest-lived dogs in the Herding Group. The Cardigan tends to be a little hardier and has fewer documented hereditary health problems; among them are canine hip dysplasia, canine degenerative myelopathy and progressive retinal atrophy. Pembroke Welsh Corgis are susceptible to intervertebral disc disease, canine hip dysplasia, progressive retinal atrophy and epilepsy. Cardigan Welsh Corgis have a typical life expectancy between 12 and 14 years, and Pembroke Welsh Corgis typically live between 12 and 15 years.

Note that responsible breeders will have their breeding animals tested for hereditary conditions. This includes OFA hip certification and genetic tests for other conditions (examples: DM and PRA).

Where should I get a Corgi?

Rescues: Do a web search for a local corgi rescue or purebred dog rescue. Rescues may or may not have corgis available, but they may be able to add you to a waiting list. Don't be affraid to get an adult corgi. Puppies (of any breed) can be frustrating, and an older dog might just be your perfect mellow companion. Also, be prepared to answer the rescue's questions and/or arrange for a home visit.
Shelters: Check Petfinder and your local shelters. They might just have a corgi or corgi mix.
Responsible Breeders: When looking for a breeder, it is best to start with the directories on the breed club websites: Pembrokes and Cardigans. You might also consider visiting a local dog show and talking to the people who are showing corgis, and meeting their dogs. This is a good way to become acquainted with the breeds and make connections in terms of finding a breeder.

But I saw cute corgi puppies for sale from [pet store/newspaper/flyer/craigslist/affordable pups website]. How can I tell if they're a responsible breeder?

No responsible breeder would advertise in this manner.

First rule of thumb is to be wary of advertisements and avoid pet stores. A puppy from a responsible breeder will never wind up in a pet store, nor listed in a classified add. Responsible breeders tend to have very few litters and those litters tend to have carefully screened waiting lists.

Here are the ASPCA guidelines for breeders, which I think are generally pretty good. Pay particular attention to the bolded, which are often the things that set the responsible breeders appart from the backyard breeders (BYBs).

quote:

* Never sells puppies to a dealer or pet shop.
* Operates in an open, undisguised manner, allowing and even encouraging potential buyers/adopters to visit and tour their homes/properties.
* Screens breeding stock for heritable diseases and removes affected animals from breeding program. Affected animals should be altered and placed as pets, provided that the health issues are disclosed to buyers/adopters.
* Removes aggressive animals from breeding program.
* Keeps breeding stock healthy and well-socialized.
* Never keeps more dogs than they can provide with the highest level of care, including quality food, clean water, proper shelter from heat or cold, exercise, socialization and professional veterinary care.
* Has working knowledge of genetics and generally avoids inbreeding.
* Bases breeding frequency on mother’s health, age, condition and recuperative abilities.
* Does not breed extremely young or old animals.
* Breeds and rears dogs in the home, where they are considered part of the family.
* Ensures newborns are kept clean, warm, fed, vetted and with the mother until weaned.
* Begins socialization of puppies at three weeks of age.
* Screens potential guardians and openly discusses both positive and negative aspects of the breed as well as the individual dog.
* Ensures puppies are weaned (at 8 to 10 weeks of age) before placement.
* Offers guidance and support to new guardians.
* Provides an adoption/purchase contract in plain language that spells out the breeder’s responsibilities, adopter’s responsibilities, health guarantees and return policy.
* Provides accurate and reliable health, vaccination and pedigree information.
* Makes sure pet-quality dogs are sold on a limited registration (dogs only), spay/neuter contract, or are altered before placement.
* Will take back any dog of their breeding at any time and for any reason.

Additionally, I would add that the breeder should only be breeding titled or working dogs that have proven their ability in conformation and/or work. Corgis can excel at a lot of different pursuits: herding, agility, tracking, rally, therapy, and of course conformation. If a breeder is breeding dogs that haven't "proven themselves" at anything, then they probably shouldn't be breeding dogs.

Where can I get more puppy advice?

First, check the New Puppy FAQ for general puppy issues. Feel free to post additional questions either in that thread or right here.

Where should I post pictures of my awesome corgi or corgi mix?

Right here in this thread. We demand more corgi pictures!

Video of Josie going crazy, then stopping for the mere mention of food.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTjk_2ex8Z8

Video of laser pointer cat hazard.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-_QaMDj7ak

inkblottime fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jun 1, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

My wife believes there is a corgi conspiracy. You get the first corgi then it's over. You are forever compelled to get yet another! :laugh:

Your dogs are very cute, especially the puppy pics!

I actually looked up Paul Chen and C-Myste so we are on the same page. And 500-600 sounds very reasonable to me. I'm unsure whether we are ready to get a puppy right at this moment. We need to do some work on the yard and puppy proof some of the house first so we'll miss the new litter (plus I heard you need to reserve early). Either way, I think I'll encourage the wife to send C-Myste's owner an email.

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

Miss Indy posted:

londerwost!!! Go to Magnuson or Marymoor dog parks one of these weekends and you should see a bunch of both Cardis and Pems! Also londerwost, here is the corgi group that meets regularly in our area. Check them out!

We'll have to check it out! Although, I'm always a little awkward in these gathering situations when i don't know anyone.

I'd really like to visit a breeder so i think we'll send out some emails just letting them know we are interested. Thanks for all the help (yet again!) and the great pictures of Zeke!

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

So C-myst has two females that are available right now because of people backing out. We weren't really planning on getting the puppy so soon but we're sorely tempted. She said her typical price is $800 but it includes all the health testing (not sure about genetic) and microchip, etc etc. Not sure if I'll get a lower price even though we'll get her fixed.

i think it's these two.

Click here for the full 687x599 image.

Click here for the full 657x625 image.

It's quite a drive, I think about 6-8 hour drive one way but I'm getting excited. Hope the snow melts soon! :D

EDIT: What are some things we can do to puppy proof the house? I'm concerned about wires and plugs, mostly. Small items and plants are higher up and out of the way.

inkblottime fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Dec 25, 2008

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

Click here for the full 855x642 image.

We just got home from the 8-10 hour drive. I'm sick and tired but I have a puppy! I'll take better pictures when I'm feeling better.

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

Click here for the full 490x653 image.

Click here for the full 653x490 image.

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

Cardi's have HUGE ears. Josie's sister Greta is having the same issues. Their smallest sister, Hope, is fine though because she was the runt and has ears more like a Pem.

10 minutes after tape came off.

30 minutes after tape came off.

!!:siren:!!YOUNG BITCH SPREAD EAGLE NUDE SHOWS EVERYTHING!!:siren:!!

!!:siren:!!CLICK BELOW!!:siren:!!

EDIT: Attention Lioness

I tried contacting you but private messages are not working for me.

Would it be possible to change the title of this thread to something like:

"The Corgi Megathread: Pems and Cardis Abound!"

Since it's already going in that direction?

Thanks!

inkblottime fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Feb 12, 2009

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

She knows all the words for food.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTjk_2ex8Z8

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

Corgi + laser = propeller tail.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQhubrtlW9E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLcbUbFyWP8

Corgi encounters a hazard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-_QaMDj7ak

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

letsgoflyers81 posted:

What's on your pup's ear? Were they not standing up on their own?

From what I have learned, Cardigans have larger ears than Pembrokes. And this litter has unusually large ears for Cardigans. So the ears are having some problems standing up, even with extra calcium in her diet. Even her breeder is having issues with one of her litter mates. In the past we would tape her ears over the weekend, which is usually how long the tape lasts before she figures out how to get it off. We're gonna try to keep tape on her for this whole next week and see if that helps.

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

Corgi crock attacks!!

AIR CORGI!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNr9r1ZkPJw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TELkfel_58

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

Miss Indy posted:

Very cute coat, though she probably doesn't need it. Corgi coats are very thick! Even when it was in the teens and 20s a winter or two back, my dogs were a-ok for hour+ long trips in the snow. Though I guess puppy coats don't have that dense undercoat that the adults have. As much as I like dressing my dogs up in retarded sweaters, they seem to get too hot living here in the Seattle area. Zeke a little less so, as his undercoat and fat layer isn't nearly as thick as Bailey's.
It's mostly so she doesn't get completely soaked. I was stuck with her downtown when there was heavy downpour of rain last week and she was shivering and wet. I already had a coat for her but I forgot it at home.

For myself, I had a hat, my snowboard jacket, and good boots but the legs of my pants were soaked through it was raining so heavy. She seemed more comfortable after I got her the coat from a local store.

Then we had the heavy, heavy snow today. If I didn't have the coat on her I would have had to towel her off every time I took her out. With the coat, I just have to dry her feet.

On a different tangent, she likes buffalo bones and didn't get the runs from them.

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

Did some spring boarding.

See what I did there?

Brought the pup with me.

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

Josie's an easy drunk girl.

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

This is my best friend.

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

Josie loves her antler but has been disinterested since getting fixed. We actually got her a buffalo bone that's big enough for her to chew around the cone. She still get's bored with it and starts crying.

This has helped some because she's more comfortable. Plus we can turn it back from her face so it's easier for her to eat and drink.

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

infestedtwinkie posted:

I've been starting to look at Corgi breeders on the west coast. I have been looking at breeders from the following list here. Are there any that you guys suggest in the California and Oregon area?

Please, oh please don't rule out Cardigans! I know I'm out numbered in this thread but they are freaken cool dogs too! :3:

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

infestedtwinkie posted:

That dog looks like a mix between a cardigan and an ACD for sure. Look at the markings above the eye, they scream ACD (or Collie).

Click here for the full 453x604 image.

My one eyed pirate ACD for reference.

EDIT: Just to note he is missing half his right ear and the cartilage is broken in his left ear. So ignore his funky ears :).

I think he's a good looking dog! He'd be great for holloween parties with a little pirate hat and stuffed parrot. :dance

Just mention offhandedly to your girlfriend that Cardies are typically laid back in comparison to Pems.

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

Our male cats go after anachro's underwear and Josie chooses to go after anything having to do with my feet (shoes, socks, etc). Pets are so weird.

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

Triple decker pets!

This is a kinda crappy picture with it bluring and the contrast but drat it's cute.

The weird thing about the socks is that Josie doesn't bother with anachro's. She only grabs mine.

inkblottime fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jun 28, 2009

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

Josie has a thing for zippers since she was a little puppy. Even at 8 months, she decides that zippers need to be removed from the fabric. She ruined one of her best pillows just the other day after she'd been sleeping on it for months. I guess she was like "o HEY!" and went to town. I gotta figure out how to break her of that because I like my jackets and zip hoodies.

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

Manga tag? :confused:

It's around 100 degrees in Seattle right now and poor Josie is melting. It's a good thing we got hard floors which are way cooler than the old berber carpet we used to have. Time to play ice cube fetch! :D

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

Ema Nymton posted:

Meet Ein

Manga =/= Anime

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

Korenwolf posted:

yeah he really really likes snow...

Click here for the full 1000x729 image.

SUPER ACTION FUN SNOW CORGI!

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

The Dave posted:

Hey guys, let me preface this by saying I am straight up not ready for a dog yet, but I'm doing my research because it's come up and I'm curious.

Are any of you in PA, specifically east / northeast? I really have only found one breeder that I trust, which makes sense with this being PA and all. They are http://www.ezbrook.com.

Which seems alright, actually they seem fantastic. My only gripe is I really want a Corgi with some black/dark brown markings. But whatever, was just curious if anyone had any good word from PA. I found some pups on http://www.greenfieldpuppies.com but they are so obviously a broker.

EDIT: I just re-read this and holy poo poo I channeled a 15 year old girl.

I would start with these sites:
Pembroke Welsh Corgis of America
Cardigan Welsh Corgis of America

Although it's not a guarantee, I think you find more responsible breeders on these lists. The drawback is that you may have to wait a while and you might have to be on a waiting list. Also you may not be able to pick what color you want since most responsible breeders will pair you with the right personality, not color.

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

elf pr0n posted:

Shaved corgis are the best corgis

:nws: that nudie poo poo. :3:

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

Bewildrbeast posted:

So I'm not sure if my dog is part Corgi or not and I figured you guys may have an idea-

During a move, hence the bad paint and posters.

Thumbnail because, well, it's huge.

Click here for the full 1200x1600 image.

I love him and I'm mainly curious so I can quit telling people who ask what type of dog he is "Louisiana Pound Puppy".

I googled "corgi fluffy" and this was the first picture. Looks a lot like yours :3:

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

OP's been updated. Please let me know if things need fixing or if people want to add something. There's some good advice in this thread that could be compiled.

Also, don't buy BYB. Just don't.

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

Corn Burst posted:

I know a man who has several Pembroke Welsh Corgi puppies that would add a special something to any home. AKC Reg. 9 wks, tails, dew claws done. Vac, dewormed. Farm family raised. Health Guarantee. Males and females. Red/White and Tri's available. $350 [YOU LEFT A NUMBER WTF]

I don't really know what to say. This reads like a BYB. Do I really need a "don't peddle your BYB's in this thread" in the OP?

inkblottime fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 20, 2010

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

paddiep posted:

...anyways my point being, can a corgi's coat really get that bad if they don't get brushed out? I assume being on a bad diet, having shitheads for owners, etc had a part to play too..

We don't keep up with brushing as much as we should but people always comment on how shinny and nice her coat looks. I want to say that it may have to do with diet, although brushing should be done anyway.

I would be more concerned about the nails. That can cause all sorts a problems, from in grown nails to bad backs from walking weird.

Ringo Star Get posted:

Milhouse has been sick all morning and I think he heard that we were taking him to the vet later today because hes been hard to find. I looked under the bed, his favorite corner, in the kitchen everywhere. Then I nearly trip over this in the living room:

Mil, you are terrible at hiding.

I laughed so hard! :neckbeard:

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

Sleepy pup after day at doggy day care.

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

Corgi day.

Corgi butts.

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

lu lu lu posted:

Cutest rape-face ever! :dance:

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

She's really afraid of the sound the cork makes when it pops. But like a corgi, she wants to figure out what it is.

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

Dancingthroughlife posted:

Sometime in the next year we plan to get a dog. We're doubtful we'll be able to afford a breeder, so we'll be checking petfinder periodically. Can someone explain why you want a corgi's ears to stand up? I get that that's the way they're supposed to be, but why?
This is why you tape corgi ears up when they need help as a puppy:

They will not flop like a lab. They will stand part way up and flop part way. Sure it might be cute at a glance but that's permanent.

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

ButWhatIf posted:

Pics from the corgi meetup! Neige had a really good time playing with all the other dogs.

Goin' for a paddle with a Lab, not so sure about this lake business.

Herd o' corgis!

You, uh, got any food up there?

Following the leader.

CHASING THE LEADER OMG

CHASING CHASING CHASING THIS IS THE BEST

Neige met her grandfather Truman!

She was less interested in this than I was.

EDIT: jesus christ tables

Someone made the news:

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

ButWhatIf posted:

Today is Neige's 7 monthiversary! Happy Neigeday to everyone!

This means, of course, that she's going in for her spay next week (which I am still nervous about, but it's gotta be done :ohdear:). I'm curious if she'll be up for a meetup on March 11. Is 6 days enough recovery time before going to play with her friends, or should I wait until one of the next ones roll around?

I should really find out about these meet ups. I'm sure Josie would be stoked to run around with dogs her size.

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

Plus_Infinity posted:

This is the only costume I thought Orbit would tolerate.

He was actually pretty good about it! Little pumpkin :3:

Sorry we haven't posted in a while (previously londerwost and anachrodragon)! But I had to jump in and say I literally squealed when I saw this picture (which is not something a 30 something man should do). Looks almost like Josie!

If you have more pictures, I would love to see them. What a cutie!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

Break Fast posted:

Thanks guys. :) I really appreciate it.

Came home an hour ago. He's fine, but there are 10 days of taking proper care of his stitches. Turns out there are actual holes in his ear, that I will need to treat with special liquid. Basically pour it through the holes, so the healing process is faster.
It's gonna be a long, long week.

But atleast he's home. Still little high from narcosis and extremely tired and slow. :)

Poor little guy. I'm sure he's very happy to be home with you.

Took this picture of Josie and the pussycats the other day. The colder the weather gets, the closer they get:

• Locked thread