Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Where's my goddamned milk?!

This is londerwost's wife (yes we're both goons). Unfortunately he's been sick with a cold, but the puppy is comforting him! I've been trying my best to get some pictures, but most have turned out crappy. Here are a few we did get.

Click here for the full 778x583 image.

She's been sleeping a lot, and she loves to curl up with us. It's kind of like spurts of activity, then crashing. We hope this is somewhat normal for a young pup.

Click here for the full 778x449 image.

Click here for the full 450x742 image.

Our cats are obviously traumatized at having a pup move in to their house:

Click here for the full 624x547 image.

Click here for the full 583x778 image.

Carolyn from C-Myste was very nice over email. and obviously puts a lot of care and thought into the homes the pups are going to wind up in. We actually didn't meet her in person though, as this litter of pups was raised at Starrynights Stables, with Megan who is one of her partners. Carolyn says she's semi-retired, but she's basically working with a couple of other partners now. Her next planned litter will likely be born in late spring and raised by a friend of hers in Vancouver, Washington.

Anyway, Megan from Starrynights was very nice, and their farm is super cute. They have horses, goats, cats, and some very beautiful dogs. She will be keeping one of the pups from this litter to be a show dog.

Edit: I also just wanted to add that they've done a beautiful job with her early socialization and training. She's a very good girl. She comes when she's called, she knows "potty" and likes to do her business outside in our yard. She's doing very well on a leash. Her reaction to our cats has been very calm so far, which I'm sure has gone a long way to make them more ok with the idea of a dog in the house. We've had a bit of an issue with crying/barking when she's left alone in her pen, but we'll be working on that by practicing and just remaining calm, and ignoring the barking until it stops.

shady anachronism fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jan 4, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

I finally got some new pictures of Josie our Cardigan Corgi pup, so I figured I'd add them to this thread. These are the few I was able to take last week when her ears were standing up pretty well. Unfortunately she's teething now and they've started to flop again. So we're back to tape this evening, which she's decided she hates.

She's really an awesome puppy though. She's got a great personality, and just the right mix of playful and mellow. She is very smart, sometimes too smart. :unsmith:

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

SolanaSkyes posted:

Try adding some cottage cheese to your pup's meals, sometimes a little extra calcium helps get the ears up while they're teething. Also, I'd keep them taped for a full week, then off for 2-3 days and re-tape if necessary.

Thanks for the advice! We'll try to pick up some cottage cheese today or tomorrow. We're also thinking of supplementing her diet with more real bones. Yesterday we visited one of the local premium pet food stores, and on a whim picked up some frozen raw marrow bones.

She was in heaven. I think that's her first experience with raw bones (we feed her Innova puppy food). She chewed on one of those bones for like three hours last night. It was pretty awesome, I think that's the longest she's ever focused her attention on anything. Now I'm going to have to look into finding a butcher nearby...

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Bud Manstrong posted:

Long time no see, Corgi folks.

mdy: Your boy looked like a great sidekick. Sounds like the two of you had a hell of a time together. Sorry he's gone.

This is my Yoshi. He'll be 4 in about a month.

Oh man, I love his eyes.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

SachielDVangel posted:

Yeah, even in this thread, many of the dogs are poor quality/milled/bought in a pet store because people have no loving clue how to find a good quality dog from a reputable breeder starting from zero. Don't fall into that trap and run your leads on future dogs past us.

To be fair, this thread was originally started as an attempt to find a reputable Cardigan breeder. I don't think there is anyone in this thread who has condoned milled/pet store bought animals, and every effort has been shown to direct people to quality breeders.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

notsoape posted:

Zombie Dictator's puppy was bought from a pet shop, PI got really upset about it one time. I think that's what Sachiel's referring to :shobon:.

Still that's one case that has some PI history, not "many of the dogs." But whatever, I think the important thing here is that this thread continues to make an effort to direct people to good breeders.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Miss Indy posted:

Half, if not most of the corgis posted here are not well bred animals.

That's a bummer, but it seems that folks who have been involved with PI know better now, and are interested in working with reputable breeders in the future. I wouldn't want anyone to feel that they're being punished or ostracized of course.

Truth be told, I probably would have gotten a rescue dog from a shelter (be that previously milled/byb or corgi mix) if there had been any corgis available in nearby shelters. As it is, we couldn't find a shelter dog, and we're really glad for the advice we got here in terms of breeders. Thank you for pointing us in the direction of C-Myste, Miss Indy!

paddiep posted:

Hmm, there are alot of differences. I don't know the corgi personality THAT well so whatever I say will be biased. I think vallhunds tend to have more of a 'sweet' temperament, the corgis I have known are more 'me first then you' mindset. Toki (my vallhund) is utterly devoted to whatever it is I'm doing, which is annoying at times. My breeder calls them Velcro dogs and they really are. But then again (just like corgis and every other breed) personalities change from dog to dog.

There are differences between Pembroke and Cardigan personalities too. In general Pembrokes tend to have a reputation for being the kind of dogs that love everyone, while Cardigans have a reputation as more of a "one owner" or "one family" type of dog. I believe Cardigans do have a bit of history being used as guard dogs, and I can see the protective mentality in Josie even though she's only 15 weeks old.

There was actually sort of a funny bonding moment between her and the cat last weekend. This big black tom cat came into our yard and started marking around the yard and patio. Our cat, who is an inside cat but still views the yard as his territory, ran over to the sliding glass door and started growling. Josie perked up and ran over and sat down right next to him, and the next thing I know she lets out this low rumbling WWWUFF with a growl at the end. It was pretty funny and also drat cute.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

RazorBunny posted:

Oh, Bear was fantastic. He had a really keen nose and would sniff out pretty much any kind of rodent and then dispatch it, often by carefully digging up a nest without damaging much of the surrounding ground. They never had any squirrels on their farm :D

What was especially cute was that he would set off sniffing, and Lily would follow him, and along behind them was their daughter's boyfriend's Boxer. The two corgis were low to the ground and had pretty good noses, so they would follow a trail. Spike the big goof would come along behind and try to follow the trail, but had a fairly poor sense of smell and was easily distracted. It was hilarious to watch the three of them. They'd follow a relatively straight line and he'd be weaving like it was a ski slalom.

Spike lived in an apartment, so it was a big treat for him to come out to the farm and run around. The corgis thought he was awesome, especially Lily, who was young and liked to wrestle. The family also fostered dogs for a local humane society, and I had a hard time saying goodbye to the big red chow who liked to roll in the red clay mud. It was the same color as his fur, so when it dried you couldn't tell how dirty he was. I was petting him one day and was horrified that his hair color was coming off on my hands! It was great.

I only met Connor once, when he was a tiny sleepy puppy. They bought him to give Lily a permanent buddy when Bear died. My sister said he was always present at the foxhunts they went on, and wanted to run with the beagles. He was also quite comfortable being hauled up in a saddle with someone and riding around on the horses.

Right on, I'm always amused by the versatility of Corgis. Our breeder is apparently teaching her Cardigans tracking, to give them another activity.

quote:

I would never own a corgi because I value my sanity, but they are very cool little dogs.

Cardigans are more laid back than Pems, just saying...

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

I thought I might as well ask for advice here. Our corgi pup has learned this new game called "if I sit by the door they'll take me outside." We're trying to move away from taking her outside to go potty pre-emptively, and rather let her tell us when she needs to go out. The problem is that she wants to go outside every five minutes.

We only take her directly to her potty area (we don't let her run around the yard), and if she doesn't go potty (which is most of the time), then we bring her back in and put her in her crate and ignore her for about 10 minutes. Now for the instances she does go potty, we let her explore the yard for a bit if she wants to. I was hoping that she'd get the hint that going potty = getting to sniff around the yard.

I don't want to ignore her when she sits at the door, because I do want her to communicate with us when she needs to go. Plus there have been times that ignoring her led to accidents, because I thought she was crying wolf when she really wasn't. Ah the joys of having a smart dog...

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Miss Indy posted:

Congratulations, you've been hoodwinked by your dog. Know that this is the first of many manipulations to come :)

My dog did exactly this when we were potty training him. The best advice I can give is twofold. First, attach a command to pottying. For mine, it's "go potty". When she goes outside, say that command EVERY TIME she goes and praise her like hell when she does. When she goes outside and is sniffing around to find a spot, say the command. She will eventually put two and two together, faster than you might think. I also never used outside for playing so he wouldn't get confused and think he could "ask" to go outside to play. Outside was for pottying and pottying only for the first few weeks.

Once our dog started manipulating us like yours is doing to you, we went back to a very strict crate schedule. He was either in the crate, or out doing a specific activity. There was no "hanging out" outside his crate for a week or two until he got it firmly in his noggin that I wasn't going to make a game of this.

So, just as an example, here's a sample of the schedule we kept him on:

7am, wake up and go out for potty
7:15, back to crate while I got ready for work
7:45, breakfast and quick play session
8:15, potty and back to crate
11:00, dog walker comes by, dog is let out for potty
11:10, play with dog walker inside
12:00, back to crate
3:00, I get home and let him out for potties
3:10, intense play
4:10, potty
4:20, crate

....and so on. He never was allowed to just loiter around until he had stopped with the potty trick. Know that your puppy will reliably have to go after being in a crate for a period of time, after intense play, and after eating. If you let her out consistently after those activities, she will get it much faster. Be consistent and don't let her push you around, or you will have a terror on your hands when she reaches adulthood.

EDIT: Almost forgot. To cue the behavior where she tells you when she needs to go, always have her do something specific before you take her outside (when you know she has to go). My dogs must sit by the door if they want out. So before I would let them out as puppies, they had to sit and then I would take them out. Now as adults, every single time they want out they sit and wait by the door. You can also bell train her, but I don't have experience with that.

I think you're right that we just need to crate her more when she's pulling that trick. She does know "go potty." Her breeder actually started with that before we even got her, so she had a good start on potty training from the beginning. In fact she's been great up until very recently. I think what we're dealing with now is that at 17 weeks she's decided it's time to push her boundaries. She's realized that going to the door is one area where she has control, because we will take her outside rather than have an accident in the house. So yeah, I don't think we can quite trust her to communicate with us without trying to manipulate us just yet.

Strangely enough we actually saw two Cardigans at our dog training class earlier this week. We spoke to one of the owners, she was this older German lady who had a beautiful sable Cardigan. She asked where we got Josie and we said C-Myste, and she said in a thick German accent "ahhh yes, I know them from the shows, they are good." Then she gave us this knowing look and asked "Is this your first?" When we said yes, she said "I have had corgis 40 years, they are very stubborn you know." We said yeah, we're noticing that. ;)

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

We stopped by All the Best Pet Care (our local pet food store in Seattle) yesterday and picked up a variety of chews. One that Josie seems to like a lot is part of a shed deer antler. We also got some more frozen raw marrow bones, but will give her those in moderation so as not to have major digestive issues.

One thing our breeder told us about Corgis, and I'm seeing this a lot with Josie, is that they really do think they're larger dogs. The "big dog in a small body" thing is very true. Our breeder had mentioned that she might want to play with toys that we might otherwise think were for a larger dog. I bought this rope toy off of Amazon, because she was chewing on the cats' sisal scratching posts and I wanted something else rope-like for her to chew on. I figured I'd be safe with "medium" right? Well no, the drat rope ball is like the size of her head. I took one look at it and was going to return it, so I had it sitting out in a box waiting to go back. Well she got into it, and grabbed it, and it turns out she loves it. She swings it around like a goddamn wrecking ball. So I'm like "eh, if you want a toy that's the size of your head, that's fine."

So anyway, when we got her the chews, we went for the larger sizes, like 6-8 inch chews, rather than the "small dog" chews.

shady anachronism fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Feb 27, 2009

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Miss Indy posted:

Yeah, I never get the smaller chews for my dogs. EXCEPT for the raw, the raw bones I gave them were the smallest that Mud Bay had. I do get the smaller bully sticks (6" max) and then only let them have half at a time in order to avoid upset tummies. Those pizzles are super rich, and if they were to eat a whole one in one sitting, they would for sure get the shits.

Have you checked out Mud Bay yet? It's such a great store, they always send me home with a bunch of samples of treats. And their selection of bones is awesome and fairly inexpensive. My favorites there are these beef bones about a foot or so long, where one end is knuckle shaped. They've got a bunch of dried tendon/meat on there, and they're only $4 a pop. They also have the huge bully sticks. I need to get a pair of gardening shears or something so that I can get a huge one and just snip it down serving by serving for them. Seems it'd be cheaper to go that route.

Another great thing that Mud Bay has a lot of are the puzzle treat-dispensing toys. One of the activities my dogs regularly do is to get their dinner out of them. I've got 4-5 different brands of those toys, and I rotate them so they get something different every night. My favorites are the Buster Cube, Tricky Treat Ball, Treatstik, and the Canine Leo. Just pour her kibble into it, she'll figure out the rest. It's a great form of both mental and physical exercise.

Yes! We actually have a Mud Bay near us, and we go there more often than All the Best. We got a little frustrated with them a few weeks ago because it seemed that they were perpetually out of the Innova puppy food we'd been feeding her. So we stocked up on that at All the Best. We will definitely be going back though, just taking a break for a bit.

I actually haven't purchased any of their bones before, but I noticed they've got a nice selection. Since she's teething and chewing on everything right now, we're definitely on the lookout for things to help to redirect her attention away from our shoes, etc...

We've got a few treat toys, and could probably do with more. We have a Canine Leo (actually a couple of them), a Tug-a-Jug, and various Kongs. We try to vary them and they'll hold her interest for a little while. I think ideally we'll start feeding part of her meals in those because obviously she's more motivated when it's getting close to mealtime.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

sucks to ur assmar posted:

Um, clearly corgis are husky/dachshund crosses. Duh. No wonder she got confused.

We were asked if Josie, our Cardigan puppy, was a border collie/dachshund cross. When we said "No she's a purebred cardigan corgi" the guy gave us this look like "Yeah right..."

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Eff Jay posted:

Slow weeks for Corgis? I got a question for you Corg owners out there. We're thinking about expanding our little corgi family soon and I'd like to get some advice. Frank was from a BYB (I know, I know. Bad. :( it was my first dog buying experience and so far I've been very lucky) and if I was going to get another Corgi I'd like to go through a more reputable breeder. We'd like to get another Pembroke, so does anyone know of a good breeder in the Portland,OR / SW Washington area? Supplemental question: What are some other dogs who breed wise can match up well with a Pem if we decided to branch out? Any and all advice helps!

Man, if you wanted a Cardigan I was going to say that C-Myste is planning a litter for this spring/summer. They're located in Oregon, and definitely a reputable breeder.

http://c-myste.com/?page_id=449

She does have a link on that page for a contact for Pembrokes, so I'd check that out if you're set on a Pembroke. ;)

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

pioneermax posted:

I knew thered be fur you know but i never ever expect this much freaking fur.

Im just.. my sofa is now hairy if i leave it a day in fact merlin turns everything to fur, is there anything i can do ? and does it ever stop ?!

I know Cardigans are supposed to shed twice a year, and thought it was the same with Pembrokes. If that's the case then it's only temporary until his spring/summer coat comes in. Then you'll go through this again for the fall/winter coat.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Tristesse posted:

I have 3 vacuums in my house right now, one is a handheld I use almost exclusively for the couch. I'll be bad for a while while the coat is blowing out, a furminator helps and if you can find a good groomer they can help cut that down too.

In other news, Ace got snipped today. I can't resist taking some cute e-collar pictures later when he gets home.

Ace and Josie can be e-collar buddies, she's getting spayed today too.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Pembrokes naturally don't have tails, they're not docked. They were bred out of the breed and they have very short, almost non existent little nubs. Instead of tail wagging you get nub wagging. Cardigans have tails.

Not all Pembrokes are born with bob tails. I think in a given litter you'll find some natural bobs and some with full tails. Docking is done for uniformity. However, due to controversy and docking becoming illegal in some countries, it's not unusual to see Pembrokes with tails these days.

On another note, does anyone have suggestions for entertaining a bored corgi who can't be allowed to run around or jump? Josie is really frustrated because we're keeping her either crated or leashed while she's recovering from her spay surgery. She needs to be kept low activity for the next week or so until her stitches are ready to come out. We already bought her a big loving buffalo bone to work on, as well as a variety of other chews, but I know what she really wants to do is run around. :smith:

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

moechae posted:

This isn't my dog, he's part of my friend's pack of 3 cats and two fish tanks, but I felt I had to post him, because he's the cutest loving dog ever, and, of course, DOGGLES. Meet Godot (Like the play)

They rescued him from a shelter, they say he's half Corgi, half blue heeler, but drat if he doesn't look just like some Cardigans posted here, maybe a bit taller and skinnier. He's an angel with teeth. So much fun to play with beyond him jumping twice his height to nip your nose. He's about 6-7 months about now, and his ear has finally straightened up, much to my slight disappointment.

EDIT: Two more photos I found on my cell phone (lovely cellphone quality as a result, sorry) back when they first got him. I forgot to add that the drat rescue/shelter they got him from had him neutered at 3/4 months old (they got him around 5 months) and he had some issues with that, they think if he is part blue heeler, that might have stunted his growth a bit/why he looks more corgi.

I guess you don't have a full body picture in the post, but he looks like a Cardigan to me. I mean pure bred Cardigans can have really similar markings to a heeler/ACD or various other herding breeds. I can't even count the number of times we've been asked "Is she a border collie/corgi mix?" about our pup. Then we have to explain that Cardis can be black/white, brindle, blue merle, etc, etc... Also freckles on the nose like that seems to be pretty common in Cardis.

Also I've never heard of a neuter at 3/4 months stunting a dogs growth like that. In any case, he's really loving cute no matter what he is.

shady anachronism fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Apr 2, 2009

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Eff Jay posted:

Corgis just make the best pairs!

Noooo! I have this suspicion that once you have one corgi, they mind control you into getting another one. For some reason people always seem to have pairs of corgis.

At least in our case we wont consider getting another dog until our older cat passes on. Or that's what we tell ourselves at least...

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Macie is super cute and she even sleeps just like Josie did when she was little. Here's Josie sleeping when she was about 10 weeks.

Here are some recent Josie pictures. I can't believe she's 6 months already!

Click here for the full 734x979 image.

Click here for the full 979x734 image.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Yeah Macie and Josie could almost be siblings given their sleeping positions and markings, down to the nose freckles even. Where did you get Macie from? You said she's not purebred Cardigan (and I guess her ears and snout might be a bit smaller), but drat if she doesn't look (and sleep) like a Cardi. :unsmith:

shady anachronism fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Apr 20, 2009

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

ApexAftermath posted:

My girlfriends mother has a purebred Pembroke corgi male who mated with a spaniel mix. The rest of the puppies were really cute as well, and were given to a no-kill shelter. I'm sure they got adopted right away.

drat, and here I thought she had some Cardigan in her. Now tell your girlfriend's mother to get her corgi fixed!

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Machismo posted:

My God! This thread is awesome. I said bye to my dog at home only 3 hours ago, but I wish I was there. Poor Ein (yes I named my dog Ein like every loving nerd here).

Any tips on how to get her to stop barking so much? She barks at any noise. She seems to be CONSTANTLY on patrol. While it is touching that her instincts make her try to protect us, it gets annoying.
It is also manifested in that she will go ape whenever we leave. She knows not to nip me, but she hasn't learned that against my wife. She knows she can get hurt because I can accidentally kick her when leaving. I am worried because she could hurt a child or toddler in addition to it presently pissing off my wife.

I considered lemon sprays for the bark control. For me leaving the house, it seems that just standing at the door for many minutes does not slow her antics. I may hold my position by the door for a while and she will stop spinning and running, but immediately go again the moment I move again toward leaving.
Advice?

Actually, you might be the only loving nerd in this thread with a corgi named Ein. Or perhaps there are others who are afraid to admit it. ;)

Sorry about the barking, but corgis do bark. Our Cardigan girl doesn't bark incessantly, but she does bark when she hears strange noises, or the neighbors, or an animal outside, or if she's just feeling protective... you get the idea. So we usually let her bark once or twice and then try to cut it off with a stern "Enough!" If she doesn't stop then, we'll put her in her crate and ignore her for about ten minutes. She knows she doesn't get any attention for barking in her crate so she typically stops.

As for nipping your wife, I hate to say it, but she may be trying to herd your wife. Your wife may need to assert herself and let the dog know that she is not cattle, she is in fact a pack member who is higher rank than the dog. Look into NILF (Nothing in Life is Free), and have your wife make the dog work for everything she wants. This can help to resolve her going ape when you're leaving as well. Let the dog know that she needs to "sit" and "stay" before you'll give her that attention she wants.

Edit: Also going to add, corgis are working dogs and they very much want something to do. A bored corgi will find something to do at your expense, so it's in your best interest to give her activities and tire her out. Treat toys are very popular here, as they give them a project and make them work for their food.

shady anachronism fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Apr 21, 2009

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Tristesse posted:

I disagree with using the crate for time out, because a crate should be their happy fun safe place and never a place for punishment.

I've had a lot of success controlling excessive barking by shutting down any attention/ funtime when it's too much. If Ace starts barking, my arms get crossed and he gets to see my back. If it continues, he gets escorted to an empty bedroom where he stays until he calms down. Miss Indy typed up a more detailed method earlier in this thread, I believe.

Edit: Kongs are great toys and will keep Ace busy for a while. Even longer if you stuff it with peanut butter and freeze it for a while.

Just to be clear, we're not yelling at her or saying "bad dog" or anything. Just using the crate to remove her from the stimulus for a short time. She knows her crate is a good place, but it's also a calm quiet place.

I'm willing to listen though, if you guys think this is a bad use of the crate.

Also, Josie really likes this Tug-a-Jug and these Mini Leo toys.

shady anachronism fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Apr 21, 2009

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Diviance posted:

Asking this for a friend who no longer has an account, he wants to know if there are any good breeders of pembroke welsh corgi's in the Dallas area of Texas and what is a normal asking price.

Thanks.

Here's a list of Pembroke Welsh Corgi Club members. Your friend could probably start by contacting some of these folks. I don't know how any of these breeders are though, or what titles their dogs have, what kind of health testing they do, if any of their dogs are working dogs (it is Texas after all and cattle herding dogs you know).

http://www.pembrokecorgi.org/memberlistaction.cfm

Prices can vary, so I'd really have no idea. I know my Cardigan pup cost $800, so I would not be at all surprised if it was somewhere in that range. Honestly though, the major expense of having a dog comes from all the stuff that comes after the initial purchase price. The cost of vet bills, food, toys, supplies, and training all adds up really quick. Your friend should be thinking first and foremost about budgeting all that stuff when he/she is considering getting a dog.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Umilele posted:

How bad is the barking with corgis, Cardigans in particular? I'm finding conflicting information, from saying that they're practically incessant barkers to saying that they'll bark if there's something to bark at but not crazy about it.

Our Cardigan pup barks when there's something to bark at. "Something to bark at" includes birds or squirrels in the yard (especially crows, she hates them) or when she catches a glimpse of the neighbors moving around, also if anyone comes to the door. She does know "Enough!" and is pretty responsive to that. I wouldn't characterize her as an incessant barker, but I wouldn't consider her a quiet dog either.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

We've had our first few days of continuous warmer weather recently, and Josie has been kind of miserable. She was a fall puppy so I imagine this is her first time experiencing even marginally warm weather. Plus she hasn't really started any serious shedding of her winter coat yet.

So anyway she's been a bit lethargic and wilted looking in the afternoons, but my husband discovered this great new project to keep her busy. It's called "Ice Cubes in the Water Dish". She's been excitedly entertaining herself for the past 20 minutes trying to fish them out. I think this will be a new summer activity.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Tristesse posted:

Otherwise, I buy a 3 pack of durable nylabones and replace them every other month or so. Also, laser pointers are a huge hit.

I wish our corgi liked nylabones. We have a couple of them which we got when she was a baby, thinking, you know, maybe she'd want to chew them. But no, she just looks at you like "Are you serious? Really? Chewing plastic is for chumps."

No, she pretty much just wants to chew raw marrow bones or beef pizzle sticks. Serious pain in the rear end.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Aenovae posted:

it looks like both dogs are at risk of degenerative myelopathy, whatever that is. Is this bad?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Degenerative_myelopathy

It's a degenerative nerve disease that causes eventual paralysis, so yeah it's bad. :(

I'd really wonder why they'd be breeding two known at-risk dogs (or did I get that wrong?). I know my breeder had a case of DM show up in a dog from one of her earliest litters, that's now 13 years old. Now she's testing all of her dogs and only breeding carriers to non-carriers.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Miss Indy posted:

Bunny hopping at that young of an age is a real concern. That bunny hopping is going to progress as she ages, especially if you keep her at a "normal" weight. She really needs to be a few lbs underweight so as to avoid putting unnecessary stress on her joints. Were I you, I'd see about getting her hips checked ASAP.

Anyway... two new pics of my boys and an update:

My corgis have been keeping me on my toes. Spoiled brats that they are, they really did not appreciate the transition of me from being a stay at home student/wife to working full-time. They've guilt-tripped me into trips every other week or so to the premium pet food store for high quality chews. I usually get a mixed bag of parts: "bone shaped" knuckles, hollow (marrow-stuffed) beef bones, pizzles, compressed rawhide, knuckle joints, Merrick and other high quality wet foods, and the occasional raw bison joint. They still get run with the laser, food out of puzzle toys, but we've just dramatically increased the amount of chewing.

I keep a close eye on my dogs, and I don't like them to be even a pound or two above their norms. Zeke's arthritis is really progressing, and Deramaxx doesn't work on him anymore. We decided to go with a heavy duty course of Adaquan, which is a series of injections that start off at twice a week. It was a huge surprise for me that he had gained almost 5lbs! For a dog that typically hovers around 18-22, that was quite a bit! He is not fat by any means, but he is now at what I would consider an unhealthy weight for a dog that has the orthopedic problems that he does. His coat is much sleeker, though, and he's acting happier. So maybe less pizzle and more of the jerky style bones :)

We took a tricks class a few weeks back, and both dogs are consistently jumping through hoops, sitting pretty, hitting a Staples "Easy" button when placed in front of them, jumping into boxes, bowing, rolling over, etc. It's nice to have a few things extra that they can do, and they love to learn as many new behaviors as possible.

Next weekend we are turning off our cell phones and taking them out to the mountains. I don't know how the hell they know what "camping" means, but as soon as I said it both dogs ran and sat by the front door to go. They're going to take a bear and a cougar down each, they are certain of this.

:(

Such a bummer to hear about Zeke's arthritis getting worse. He's such a beautiful and happy looking dog. I'm glad they'll have fun camping though.

It's interesting to know that 18-22 lbs is Zeke's normal weight. I've been wondering about what weight range should be for Cardigans. Josie was around 24 lbs the last time she was weighed at the vet's office (maybe a month ago). The vet said she's "on the lean side" but I think the vet is used to seeing chunky dogs. We asked if she needed to gain weight and the vet was like "not really". She eats about one large can of wet dog food per day, plus some kibble if she's interested in getting it out of treat toys.

Also on bunny hopping, I hope not all hopping is bad. Josie will hop sometimes when she's really excited chasing something in the yard, like squirrels... or lately rabbits.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Miss Indy posted:

Zeke is really small for a Cardi. Cardis really are chunkier than Pembrokes, and weigh in the range of 25-38lbs. It's always better to err on the side of lighter, I agree with your vet. On hopping- not all hopping is bad. Bouncing dogs are happy dogs! But the bunny hopping we're talking about is like a two-legged limp. You can't really mistake it for a bounding dog. It visually looks as though the dog's rear legs aren't working properly. If you're really worried, try and grab a video of it. Josie came from a great breeder, and I'm sure her parents have good hips.

No I'm sure it's fine, it's more like enthusiastic bouncing... and like I said, she only does it when there's something really exciting to chase. It just wasn't clear what kind of hopping you guys were discussing.

We need to take some new pictures of her, she's really growing up quick. We've been trying out some of the local dog parks and also doing doggy daycare about once a week, to work on her socialization. She's a bit shy around other (especially larger) dogs, but she's getting over it.

One thing that's interesting is that she's really social with people. I mean she loves people, which is great but I'd always thought Cardis had a reputation for being a bit more reserved than Pems. I'm thinking the temperament may be a characteristic of the C-Myste dogs, because apparently her grandmother and several of her relatives are therapy dogs.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

londerwost posted:

The weird thing about the socks is that Josie doesn't bother with anachro's. She only grabs mine.

It's because of his manly feet smell.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Pooptron2003 posted:

Well gently caress no... youre right, A cat with THREE houses is bound to be a stuck up pussy anyway. What? You can't live like everybody else? Come down from your ivory tower, cat.

Seriously. No dog will ever be good enough for a cat with three houses, let alone a rescue dog.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

ButWhatIf posted:

My husband and I have decided that when the time is right, we are going to rescue or purchase a Pembroke Welsh Corgi. We're both madly in love with the breed - the frenetic energy level, the widdle stubby feets, the crazy herding dog brain (I grew up with a sheltie who was more or less my best friend as a child), the entire package. Now is not the time quite yet, but I figure now is the best time to do all the research I can on breeders and the breed itself. I found a website that, at first glance, seems like a good resource, but I'm getting all kinds of warning lights in my brain from it. After reading the guarantee, I'm not convinced at all that it's not just a site for BYBs to make a lot of money on badly-bred, over-priced puppies. Has anyone heard of https://www.washingtonwelshcorgibreeders.com before? Am I the only one getting the BYB vibe?

Yeah that site looks like a BYB/puppymill nightmare. I would start with the breed club instead:

http://www.pembrokecorgi.org/

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

express posted:

he eats Purina Beneful twice a day

This stuff is terrible. Read the list of ingredients on the bag of Beneful, then please take a look at the pet nutrition megathread and compare. A lot of dogs have allergies to grain/corn so switching to a high quality food may improve the condition you're seeing.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Egad! posted:

Help me, PI! I have a friend who is dead set on getting a corgi. Her reasons are: they're so cuuuuuuuuute and if they're so energetic, they'll force her to get up and exercise too.

She looked into rescue but for some reason balked at the idea that you have to make a profile and get approved first before even seeing any corgis that are up for adoption. She has also found a breeder living near her brother and I'm trying to get a name out of her, but I'm not sure what else to do.

She is a college graduate living in a rental house in a small town with a cat and a parrot. She has a full-time job at a newspaper that often keeps her late but it is literally a block from her house.

Should I keep trying to talk her out of buying a puppy and keep looking into rescue? Are there any big reasons why she shouldn't do this at all? This just screams BAD IDEA to me but I'm worried I may be overreacting :(

I never have high hopes for these types of situations. Usually people like this will do what they want, and drat the consequences... then the dog winds up in a rescue some months/years later.

Anyway, "cute" should be the last consideration, while "do I have time/energy/resources for a puppy?" should be the first. If she wants cute she should get a plush toy. I'd suggest printing out the new puppy FAQ from this forum and giving it to her. It applies to all puppies, including corgis. ;)

shady anachronism fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Aug 10, 2009

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

ButWhatIf posted:

and their description of the difference between "Welsh" and Cardigan Corgis is faulty.

Just read this part: "The Cardigan Corgi is somewhat more aggressive than the Pembroke."

Jesus.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Tristesse posted:

Edit2: Also today I bought Ace his first bag of big boy food! He'll be a year old around when I estimate his last bag of puppy food is done with, so I bought out Petco's supply of wellness core to transition to (they very rarely have it in and I'd prefer core to the super 5 mix, though super 5 mix is pretty good too.)

Man, Josie has been on big girl dog food for months now. Part of it is that her digestion is a bit sensitive though. She was eating Merrick puppy, and then Innova puppy, and just had the most horrible gag inducing farts, as well as some other digestive issues. She's been on California Natural chicken and rice for a while, and that's better, but she gets pretty gassy at times. I've been tempted to switch to something else, but I don't want to cause more issues.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

I Love You! posted:

While you make a good case for yourself, you do say BCs aren't feasable in your city. Why? Because corgis have at least the same level of activity and needs...

Pembrokes may be close to that level of activity. I know Tristesse says Ace is a real handful. But Cardigans can be quite a bit mellower than BC activity level.

I had a BC mix for a while when I was a kid, so I know what that level of activity is like. Josie, our 9 month old Cardigan, really is turning out to be a medium energy dog. She goes to work with my husband and will spend the entire day being mellow at the office. She has spurts of activity, and tends to be really busy with her treat toys at home, but then after playing hard she'll crash for a couple hours.

Yesterday, my husband and I were both at home with her. She got a couple of vigorous play sessions out in the yard with us, and then was surprisingly pretty chill for the majority of the day. I have this sneaking suspicion that she may have eaten a cat toy though, when we weren't looking. Sneaky dog. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Since this thread is already full of bitches (and Ace) enjoying their sexy coolaroo beds, I thought I'd add Josie on hers.

She loves to collect her toys on her bed. If we let her, she'd probably construct a mountain of toys there.

She's also into sprawling indecently all over it.

I can't believe how grown up she's gotten. She's 10 months old now :)

• Locked thread