Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
So what's the consensus about the energy level of a Cardi? The breeders sites describes them as being more 'laid back' than a PWC, but if they're both designed to be herders, would the Cardi have just as much need for daily strenuous exercise as a PWC?

Miss Indy, you have both; what's the daily walk/activity time for your Zeke? (He is cute as gently caress, BTW)

I don't mean to thread hijack, but my GF is getting her 'first' dog in a couple more months once we've a) found out where she's going to grad school and b) moved out to the suburbs to have more space. We'll probably end up with a shelter mix of some kind, but there's a lot of Corgi mixes in our area and we both like the look/temperment of the little stub dogs. We're just not sure if we can handle the energy level; my little dog only needs one half hour-hour walk a day, if that. Tera wants something to run with her in the mornings, but I'm not sure if she'll stick to that, so I want to try and find her something in the medium energy range.

I've always nixed the idea of her getting a PWC because I've heard from PI that they're high energy herders, but a Cardi could work if they're a bit less energy.

Captain Foxy fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Dec 1, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

^^^Jesus god stop it I already want one bad enough already! It's not fair of you to flaunt this cuteness. :mad:

I just showed Tera what you wrote and she said 'Hmm..sounds like we could definitely do one of these dogs' so it's a possibility. :dance:

I definitely want to meet some more PWCs and CWCs and observe commonalities and differences between the breeds. We'll be looking in to finding a Corgi meet-up group in our area (northern CA) so we can get a good idea of the time/space needed. We still don't know where we're going to be living next summer when we move, so we'll need to have that in order before we can think about a puppy, but I'm getting myself excited by looking at breeders in our area.

Thanks for the input, Miss Indy, it is much appreciated!

/end hijack

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

oh jesus oh jesus more pictures more pictures MORE PICTURES

(this is captain foxy's Corgi-loving girlfriend posting while she takes a shower, please don't tell on me! ;) )

And tell us more about what C-Myst was like! We're also considering a puppy from them, if I don't get a Rhodesian from rescue instead.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

mdemone posted:

And this is the game she and Albie have invented, but I'm still trying to think of a good name for it. it seems to be totally voluntary in every aspect; she doesn't want to catch him and he's not really trying to get away, although he gets more and more agitated as the number of laps increases. My favorite part is the direction changing, which is always due to Laika wising up and not Albie (who is smart but has no sense):
Coffee Table 500

Is that the Cairn constantly growling around the toy in his mouth? Oh my god, that's ridiculous. :3:

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Ohhh man Corwin is a bundle of :3:, seriously.

I have something to contribute to the thread! My latest foster is a Pem/Chi mix according to the oh-so-lovely BYB who dropped him off at a Fremont shelter ( :rolleyes: ) and he may be going to a new home tomorrow so I have to take the opportunity to post pics now.

He's pretty derpy most of the time and I enjoy his weird little white toes. :3:

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Gray Stormy posted:

feeding her Science Diet puppy dry food, 1/2 cup twice a day.

Check out the stickied nutrition thread. Getting her on a better diet may help her gain some poundage, but in general thin is good. What most people consider 'normal weight' on a dog is actually too fat, and with a small-jointed dog like a Corgi, you want to keep weight off, rather than put weight on. A well-conditioned dog should have a visible waist, and you should be able to feel the ribs under a thin layer of fat.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Beautiful pics! My dad lives out on Vashon, but Whidbey and Orcas have been favorite destinations in the past. Did you see any orca while you were out there? It's about the season for sightings.

Corwin is a magnificent young lad. :3:

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I dunno, I imagine a mouthy herding breed puppy would turn him off. All herders, and corgis especially, are nippy, bitey, mouthy pups. Shelties and corgis both are also high, high energy workers who need serious daily exercise to be sane, but will probably still be more 'in your face' in the house as opposed to lying down, and a puppy would be worse. I don't see that as being a good experience for a dog phobic person. A calm, older adult from rescue would be better, if you can't have any other breed, but keep in mind, this is not a 'lay around the house, friendly lazy' type of dog. Corgis are adorable and generally friendly, but some tend towards reactive barking and nipping, behaviors suitable for a working dog of this type, but difficult for a dog phobic person to relate to.

Have you considered fostering smaller sized dogs? It's a great way to discover what level of energy and type of dog 'fits' for your lifestyle and the people in your life.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Eponine posted:

My parents don't have air-conditioning in the house, so in the summer it can get up in the 90s. The dogs are 5 years old now and the first few summers we didn't shave the fluffy and she wouldn't move from behind the toilet in the bathroom unless it was to eat or go outside to pee. We live by a few lakes so we'd dunk her in every once in awhile, but lakewater + long hair = horrible smelling dogs.

Once we started clipping her regularly in the summer, she started to want to go outside and play and be active. She usually goes about a month between clippings in the summer and then once September hits we let it grow out and she's back to the long hair by about mid-October.

The vet recommended that we get her groomed in the first place and we don't like...wax her, so there's still short little hairs protecting her skin. We just like having happy corgis that play outside.

Just FYI, she was probably too hot because you weren't grooming her properly. Not to say that you were't grooming her at all, just there's a huge difference between a brush out every now and again and proper grooming. Grooming properly is easy, but hard to realize you're not doing it right, and just about every owner makes the mistake of thinking that their grooming job is fine. Mats and heavy undercoat webbing are hard to see, build up in areas under their arms or thighs, and create excess weight on the dog, which limits their coat's natural ability to distribute heat within their hairs and trap cool air against their skin, which is the normal function of all double coats; it's not just for cold, it's also for heat, which is why you find fluffy dogs in Afghanistan and the Middle East! :science:

Fluffy, double coated breeds do much, MUCH better with heat if they're properly combed out and not shaved. The vet meant well, but probably was either recommending that you comb her out more, or bring her to a groomer for a de-matting/undercoat cleaning, or just had no idea that shaving shouldn't be an option for DC breeds.

Shaving takes away their protection against heat and UV rays, so it actually is more damaging and has risks associated with skin cancer. The melanoma pictures I've seen from dogs usually include a 'before' pic of the dog with a shaved coat. It also ruins the way the coat functions for anywhere from months to forever; the guard hairs grow back first, and the undercoat barely gets a chance to fill out and do its job, so the coat loses that natural ability to regulate heat and coat, and aesthetically, the dog looks 'weird' and 'flat' and not as good, generally.

I get it, Corgis are low to the ground, just like my dog, and heat travels with them more easily than big dogs, but with my dog I just thin out his under coat every summer at the groomers, make sure his armpits and ruff are thinned out with combing, and he's good to go. He plays outside, he romps around, and he may get more tired quickly because its hot, but he's not miserable, and his coat keeps him from getting overexposed to UV. He's never been shaved and I've had him happy and healthy in 100F summers for 5 years now.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Ornamented Death posted:

I leave town for a few weeks and my wife does this :psyduck:

My dog has been scalped!

Why do people keep doing this to their poor dogs? :psyduck:

I know it's a fashion trend lately 'lol look at my shaved dog he is hilarious' but it is seriously the most PUSH BUTTON INSERT DOG method of grooming and it just fucks the coat so hard.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Ema Nymton posted:

Maybe because it's getting hot out and Corgis shed a lot?
As I mentioned in my previous post, shaving the coat actually does the opposite of keeping them cool; it exposes them to the heat that would be deflected by their outer guard hairs, exposes them to harmful, cancer-causing UV rays and significantly increases the risks for melanoma and skin issues.

For both shedding and warmer weather, asking your groomer for a 'de-shed' treatment is really much more effective and does both jobs without ruining the coat or endangering the dog. Shaving is a recent fashion trend, and not actually considered a useful groom for warmer weather.

If my dog can be kept cool, healthy and happy without shaving and loving over his coat, it should be easy for a Corgi. Poms have much more coat and he's been fine with a yearly de-shed.

Captain Foxy fucked around with this message at 05:52 on May 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Why not just get a Cardigan?

• Locked thread