Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle
Wow, I had no idea there were so many corgi-owning Goons in WA! My husband and I are planning to adopt a corgi from Brookehaven Corgis on Whidbey Island in a few weeks. We've been in contact with Kathi, the owner of Brookhaven and the corgis since early September-- we happened to email her a few days after their one litter this year had been born!

So far all signs point toward Brookehaven being reputable, and the adoption process has been great-- we had to fill out an application of sorts about how we could meet the needs of the dog and why we wanted the breed, and so on. She's been sending us weekly photos of the pups and making sure we know how to prepare.

Here are some of the photos of the litter, which appear to be red/white and sable. Do their colors lighten as they get older, or will the red/white pups be a darker sable color than some I've seen? [Edited because I originally asked about sable pups when I meant red/white.]

24 hours old:

10 days old:

14 days old:

5.5 weeks old:

I am loving the sable pup with the sad eyes and diamond shape on his forehead.

We recently bought a house in Wallingford, with a sizeable yard that we are puppy-proofing. I work from home, so I hope to be able to tend to the little one as often as he/she needs.

We also have a 10/11-year-old cat named Rupert who is a total love to all of us, but will probably despise the dog. We're hoping that it's smaller than him will make the transition easier, but I'm worried it won't. I know to go slow, but I hate to think that he'll feel we've somehow betrayed him. (Not that anyone can understand what cats think.)

Anyway, I've read the Puppies thread and I'm looking forward to training the little one. Thought I'd check in to say hi and ask if you have any general corgi pup advice. Yay. :)

Wonder Bra fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Oct 28, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle

C-Euro posted:

So Butters the Pembroke is 14-15 weeks old now ...

Ha! We were planning to name our corgi "Butter" because "Butter makes everything better," but our friends thought we should name it Butters instead. Now I'm leaning toward Widget.

It's funny to see that someone else in PI has a cat named Rupert, too.

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle
Our cat is on Science Diet Rx for urinary crystals (which I'm guessing years of REGULAR Science Diet gave him before I knew any better and tried to switch him to something GOOD only to have his bladder self-destruct). He's also not a big jumper or particularly agile... What's the best way to keep the corgi from eating his food aside from putting the food somewhere high up?

The cat isn't free-fed, he gets 1/4 cup dry in morning and evening... but he doesn't eat it all at once. I suppose there's a small chance the corgi won't be interested in his kibble (hah) but any advice would be appreciated. :)

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle
New puppy pics! These are the three available boys (one is spoken for, not pictured):

I love the fluffy top pup and the eye markings on the bottom one. And the middle guy looks like he has an attitude!

I'll post photos of the two girls once she sends me individual shots. :)

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle
So it looks like those three pups are the ones that aren't spoken for in this litter. I'm going to visit them on the 10th or 11th... and the question is, who will it be, and what shall we call him?!?

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle
We're visiting the corgis this Thursday. I'm so excited! Apparently there is another boy who is SUPER smart, but I think he's spoken for by a friend of the breeder. We'll see what she says when we get there. I'll take some of my own photos and post when we come back. We should know who we're taking home then!

I also met a beautiful black & white Cardi this weekend at the Ballard market and her owner was impressed that I knew what she was (and didn't think she was a mix). She was only a year old and so, so chill! I've heard that Cardigans are calmer than Pembrokes, but this is night & day from our friend's year-old Pem. They must be opposite ends of the calm/hyper spectrum. :)

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle

zantar posted:

Rupey-doo!!!! <3

Yes! And...

Dupert, Poopert, Fat Mouse, Bug, Big man, Roo-Dee-Dupert... and many more I'm forgetting. It's the best name for a bomb cat. :3:

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle
We're now the proud parents of a 9-week-old male corgi pup from Brookehaven corgis on Whidbey Island! He's a sweet sable with lovely facial markings, and we've named him Corwin (From Gaelic: from over the hill and French: heart's friend/companion). I've got to run out for a bit, but I'll post some pics of him later! He's a real love. :)

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle
Here's Corwin the corgi! Ohmigod, I love this dog. :3: He's so sweet and really laid-back. We chose him over the red & white we originally fancied because that one was a huge smarty-pants and would have been a major troublemaker and very demanding. Corwin is more independent and way chill. He's smart, too, just not sassy or obstinate. Yet. He's already learned his name, come, sit, and down through positive training. Yay!

Right now he is sleeping on the floor and just woofed in his sleep. D'aww.

In the car on the way home from Whidbey Island:

Mazdog:

In front of the wood stove:

Sleeping on my lap:

Waking up from a nap in his crate:

Yeah, he pretty much sleeps all the time.

BONUS: We were worried our dear sweet cat would hate us for bringing a new addition to the family. He's only ever tolerated one dog before, and it was just a neighbor's scotty who used to sit with Rupert on the lawn at our college apartment. He hated my sister's cat when we watched her for 3 months, and was SO not happy with our weekend corgi guest a few months ago. But, by some early Christmas Miracle, he is FOND of the dog. It's uncanny... he follows him around, sits a foot away, watches him, and plays chase with him. His body language is entirely relaxed and has been since about 5 minutes after we introduced him to Corwin. We can pick him up (the cat) for tummy time in front of the dog and he doesn't even care!

Rupert has always been a bit dog-like in that he seeks a lot of attention, likes to be cuddled, and loves to chase (but not fetch) objects and treats. He also sits on command when he feels like it. What thrills me is that he seems to be pleased with Corwin... he actually play postures and will chase/be chased by him in the yard in an ENTIRELY non-aggressive way. I could not have imagined that it would go this easily. He doesn't even give two shits when the dog barks at him to instigate play.

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle

C-Euro posted:

(but is longer hair like that normal at a young age?)

I think it is as normal as short hair... at least, based on the other pups I've seen and a GIS to confirm. Maybe it has to do with the time of year he was born? (Like a puppy winter coat?)

He's also the biggest boy in his litter! A chunk weighing in at 9.5 lbs. :)

As for cats, Corwin is really good with Rupert. They like to play chase in the yard, and the cat tells him when to stop. Corwin can't get on furniture, so Rupert has a safe place to go that's away from the dog, but mostly he doesn't care. I don't know how other cats will react, but I would be more worried about your dog than the cats. Make sure he doesn't get scratched on his little face. :)

The cats might be really on edge already because my guess is they'll be freaking out about each other and adding a dog to the mix could make the perfect storm. It's lot of animals that don't know each other in one place and cats are weird. I don't have a clue how it will go, but I'd bring my dog and just keep him separate and watch him around the animals.

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle
Corwin enjoyed his first taste of snow this morning! He spent the AM frolicking about in the yard with me and Rupert, and then we took a walk on the leash around two whole blocks. He was 10 weeks on Sunday (he was born on Sept 11... Break out the party hats!).

Yesterday he was awake most of the day and I think he's making up for it today... he's been dead asleep for almost five hours. I'm going to have to drag him out into the snow soon. Seattle's covered in it, which means the whole city is making GBS threads itself... but I work from home, so the animals and I are all chill and cuddled up. :3:

Photo dump!

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle

Dead Pikachu posted:

These are the best Corgi pictures ever. Please keep posting them!

Yay, thanks! I will.

C-Euro posted:

Wow, I'm not sure what impresses me more- the dog, or the camera.

The camera is badass (Canon 5d Mkii), but I also take pictures for a living. :)

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle

angrykid posted:

Do you have fullsized versions of the horizontal pictures? I really want to make them my desktop background for Chrsitmas. :3:

I do! I'll upload them tomorrow and edit this post to include them. :)

EDIT: Sorry for the delay! Here are some of the horizontal pics in biggity sizes. New photos are forthcoming...

Click here for the full 2000x1333 image.

Woofington posted:

Edit: Wonder Bra what camera do you use? Those photo's are amazing!

Thanks! It's a Canon 5d Mkii camera, mostly taken with the 50mm 1.4 and 85mm 1.8 lenses, but a few with the 135mm 2.0L.

Wonder Bra fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Dec 1, 2010

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle

Angry Grimace posted:

You ought to send those to that pup's breeder and charge her a pretty penny for them. Those are "puppy sellers." :3:

MUAHAHA. I agree. I'm going to send her a print for Christmas as a thank-you. He's such a good boy. :3:

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle
He's getting so big! Still a very silly dog...

This was after I told him "down" and "wait." He stayed there until I said "all right!" and jumped up in the air, waving his paws, with the hat still on his face. SO CUTE!

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle
It's time for a photo-full Corwin update. He's almost 16 weeks old now, and he's getting to be a big boy. I weighed him today and he's 16 pounds! One for each week.

He's eating three meals of Evo red meat small bites with a bit of yogurt and water, and sometimes a little pumpkin mashed in. He seems to LOVE any and all food we give him, so he's pretty easy to train, but he's not reliable when distracted.

His teeth are bothering him now, and he likes chewing on ice cubes, his "yummy bone" (pressed rawhide), or his lamb bone. He still wishes the cat would be his best friend, but as he gets older, bigger, and faster, the less the cat wants to do with him and the more he seems to delight in harassing Corwin. They still play outside, though.

He seems to love all dogs and people, and isn't really afraid of anything (yet). We hope to keep socializing him well and avoid any big freak-outs in puberty.

Anyway, here're some photos from the last four weeks. His adult coat is coming in dark along his spine and tail, his ear tips are more prominent, and his widow's peak and guyliner are looking fab. I can't wait to see how he looks when he's done growing.

Lamb bone, yum!

Meeting new friend Walter for the first time. Not sure at first...

But then, YAAAAAAAY!

Oh god, what is that.

RAWWWGGHHHH LEAF PILE

Corwin growing some balls, and already filthy dirty from playing with Walter. Shortly after, he got his first bath.

One night, Rupert decided he was going to hole up in Corwin's crate. This distressed Corwin greatly, but he was too wary of the cat to do anything but pout and look pathetic...

From Sunday at Alki:

Windy ears!

In his room...

Finally, an iphone photo of Christmas antlers (with mistletoe?) at the pet store...

And that's it for now. :3:

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle

C-Euro posted:

Nice dog :3: Butters was about 16 pounds at four months so maybe my dog doesn't have dwarfism after all (or maybe your does)

Looks like that's actually pretty big. I'm reading stories online of people whose smaller corgis were 6-8 lbs at 4 mos. (Some are female.) We expect Corwin to be a big 'un since he was the largest of his litter.

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle

C-Euro posted:

I'm also thankful for this thread because it helped me realize that Butters' style of "butt-sitting" is normal for Corgis. Seeing his back legs flat out like that is so goofy :3:

I think their torsos are too long for them to sit normally all comfy-like, so they have to slouch and/or flop to one side. Heh.

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle
Another doggie photo dump! He's just entering puberty which means he's started being somewhat contrary and deciding that he might not love EVERYTHING all the time. But he's still a very mild-mannered, chill dog. Unless you sneeze. He hates the sneezes and will try to bark them out of you.

He likes to drag his bedding from his crate into the corner of his room and have an orgy of toys on top of it.

Some glamour shots... his facial markings change day by day, it seems.

He wants a turn with the camera.

Pouting because I wouldn't let him chew my camera strap:

Being even more pouty in my lap...

I lubs him.

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle

lu lu lu posted:

One day my dogs and I are going to show up at your house and you WILL take pictures of them and there WILL BE mouth games. And boxing.

Hokay! We will be ready. :3:

Corwin just keeps getting bigger, and every day I am surprised how SOLID he is. He's just a block of meat. And he's pretty reliable, too! We work on his recall with string cheese, and he runs back even if there are other dogs or distractions... a huge improvement on the first weeks, when we thought we might have abused the word "come" one too many times before knowing any better.

Now, whenever I tell him "cookies!" he'll come running in from the yard and go straight into his crate. Funny thing is, we never asked him to crate for a treat every time. (Aside from teaching him the word so he would go in on command.) He just decided this was the thing to do. What a cutie.

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle

Taxidermy posted:

I dont understand how hes got pudgy. Merlin is greedy though and ill catch him eating the cats biscuits that ive left them before they goto bed.

Corgis are NOTORIOUS for getting to be overweight because they are food-obsessed. A corgi owner was telling me that she had previously owned a dachshund that stopped eating when it was full... and that her corgi, on the other hand, would eat itself to death.

Those corgi eyes make it too easy to fall into their trap when they look at you and say, "But... I'm Staaaarving!"

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle

anachrodragon posted:

Look at her toeeeezies!! Eeeee!

noelcat posted:

My corgi must be strange. When we had just him, he had very little interest in food and treats -

When we first got Corwin, he was like that with the food the breeder sent with him. He didn't seem to care much for it. When we started him on Evo, he discovered the joy of food and now his day revolves around mealtimes.

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle

flavaaDAAAAAVE posted:

I was wrong about his age - he's 8 months old. My main draw to corgis is their rep for being calm. Are ones that young generally calm or should I keep looking for an older dog?

Is he a cardigan? I've heard they're calmer, but my impression of pems is that they're pretty high energy, at least through the first few years. They are herding dogs, after all. But no, an 8 month old puppy won't be calm, generally. It really depends on the individual dog, though.

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle

C-Euro posted:

Oh she can crate him when she's gone, I was just wondering if there's anything she can do to dissuade him from chewing stuff up.

How old is he now? Is he done teething? If not, there's not much she can do to dissuade him aside from presenting him with more appropriate and appealing things to chew-- raw lamb bones, rope or socks soaked in chicken broth and froze, pressed rawhide, kongs with peanut butter, etc. We try to redirect Corwin, and we have a noise we make "ah-ah!" when he's not supposed to do something (or "oops!") and he seems to understand that pretty well.

He loves his crate, though, and putting him in there with some toys never seems to bother him that much.

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle

streetlamp posted:

Gizmo would like to see this thread bumped the gently caress up

OK, Gizmo! Corwin will help. :3:

Meeting a very big new friend at the dog park...

He's a pretty boy!

Awesome corgi gallop...

Corwin's new girlfriend...

She's kind of a bitch...

Trying (and failing) to make friends with a very nervous 6-month-old Italian Greyhound...

Exhausted after 2 hours at the dog park and mandatory bath time...

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle

Tendai posted:

You take such amazing pictures of Corwin -- they get his personality so well. His facial expression in that first one is hilarious :3: "WHOA."

Thank you so much! I take a lot more than I post, but I can never get around to editing them when I have stuff for my clients to get done. It's really fun to practice taking photos of him and other dogs at the park... they're SO FAST!

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle

ButWhatIf posted:

Going to the Seattle Kennel Club show tomorrow; I promise to bring back lots of photos of the corgs!

(and rally and obedience and agility...)

HEY HEY HEY! I wanted to go this morning, but we're just eating breakfast. Corgis are on tomorrow, too! I'm totally going. I wish Corwin could come with. :3:

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle
Who wants some Pems? (We missed the Cardis, sadly, because we were walking around and forgot the time.)

It makes me wish we could show Corwin (although I worry that his pasterns aren't to confirmation). Alas!

Oh! And Corwin met his littermate at the dog park the other day, completely by coincidence!

We had just arrived and a young Red & White pem ran up to Corwin. His owner asked how old he was, and we said 6 months-- he said his dog was 6 months, too, just the previous day. After a second, we realized that meant they had the same birthday, and when he asked if Corwin was from Whidbey, we realized that we were seeing his brother again for the first time since we took Corwin home!

His brother was one of the two other boys we considered for adoption, and at the end it was between him and Corwin. I may be biased, but I'm glad we picked Corwin, because he's an awesome dog.

In another weird coincidence, Corwin's brother's female owner actually works in the same department as my husband at the UW hospital, just a different shift. Small world!

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle

ButWhatIf posted:

I earned brownie points by asking if Leo's Karma (who is one of the sweetest and softest dogs I've ever encountered) was a Carbon baby (which, to be fair, is like asking any given person if they're descended from Noah, these days).

Um, you were totally standing right next to me when you asked that! At least, I think so! I was petting Karma with some kids and a girl came up and asked if Karma was a Carbon dog and Karma's owner was all excited. And then you(?) said you thought the big spots were recognizable from Carbon's line, and the lady said that Carbon has so many progeny everywhere, but he's Karma's granddad or something like that.

Was that you?!

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle

Tendai posted:

I like how most of those corgis look like they're staring up going "treat?" :3:

It's because they totally are. :3: I like how they're like :stare: :stare: :stare:

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle

ButWhatIf posted:

Holy crap. Were you the one with a guy and with the really cute short haircut? Because yeah, that was me! UNINTENTIONAL GOONMEET ITT.

Edit: also you just barely missed the Cardis by taking photos of the Afghans. They were right across from each other at the same time.

Yep, that was my husband Justin and I had messy slept-on "daylight savings time" hair. :3: Nice to have unintentionally met you!

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle
Yes, I agree that a WA Corgoon meetup is a must. Definitely after the weather stops crapping on us. Corwin loves new friends and so do I. :3:

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle
A new photo dump of Corwin. He's six and a half months old now!

Pics from our hike on Cougar Mountain last weekend. The black dog is my dad's fat schipperke, Lilu.

Rupert is starting to tolerate Corwin, and occasionally Corwin won't herd the cat when it's less than 10 feet from him...

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle

londerwost posted:

This is why you tape corgi ears up when they need help as a puppy:

They will not flop like a lab. They will stand part way up and flop part way. Sure it might be cute at a glance but that's permanent.

HEE HEE HEE!

Does that make them any more susceptible to ear infections than a normal flop-eared dog? Or less than if their ears were standing up? Or no difference?

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle
Grabbed some photos of Corwin off my iPhone to share!

Another from the first day we got him on the car ride home...

He sleeps like this a lot.

Hurf.

Derf.

Yogurt cup fail.

With littermate Milo at dog park

Beating Milo down.

I SMELL PEANUT BUTTER! Can't! Reach! Unf!

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle
While uploading those pics, I realized it's been a few weeks since I took any, so I'm gonna hijack this thread with more corgi pictures!

All photos from the park this morning, where we had a great time being very fixated on our chuckit ball, and getting super tired out. (I think I overdid it.) I call these "photos in the theme of tongue."

Seriously, I don't know where he hides that thing. His tongue is so long it scares me.

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle

ButWhatIf posted:

Anyone else planning on going to this? I was considering it, if only to get a nice, full picture of corgi personalities (and to keep me sane while I wait).

drat, I would but I have an 11am client meeting on Sunday. :(

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle

Crunch Bucket posted:

Dash is so drat handsome.

Fffffff!!! Splode!

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle
Corwin was about that weight when he was 10 weeks, maybe a little more. He's now almost 8 months and 26.2 lbs! My big boy. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle
Corwin didn't know how to catch things in the air until we started bouncing his ball for him. Once he got the hang of it, he'll grab treats we toss, too!

• Locked thread