Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crunch Bucket
Feb 11, 2008

Duuh! These are staaairs!
Allow me to introduce Dexter, 3.5 years old. He's a stud.

And in 7 days, we're bringing home this adorable floofpile, still unnamed!

I'm so in love :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crunch Bucket
Feb 11, 2008

New pics of our newest boy, Dewey! My hosting.

Dexter's first impression of the little tyke:

Crunch Bucket
Feb 11, 2008

Miss Indy posted:

People don't believe me when I say that Zeke howls, but tonight I finally got around to taking video of it-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysrRMF3lOi8

My oldest boy (pembroke) does this all the time!! I've been trying to explain it to other corgi owners but I've yet to find another one that does it. Zeke is a beauty!

edit: here's a video of Dexter doing it, among other things http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xf8Dn_MFrk8 It's amazing to see how chubby he used to be. He's since lost 9lbs and is so much healthier. His ideal amount of food ended up being quite a bit less than recommended amounts and before we knew it we had a tubbo on our hands.

Crunch Bucket
Feb 11, 2008

Kerafyrm posted:

The boy is pretty mismarked, but I found the mismarks gave him a lot of character. He'll have an eyepatch and a belt! :3:

He is sooo cute! One of our boys is mismarked as well, but it makes me love him all the more!

Yesterday was Dewey's first birthday. His littermate Dash came over to celebrate! My hosting on these.

Dash is so drat handsome.

My dopey boy with his hilariously oversized ears and tongue.

Not leaving Dexter out of the festivities!

Dash & Dewey going at it, while Dexter referees.

Crunch Bucket
Feb 11, 2008

Our 1yr old male is only 18lbs, and we also thought that there was something stunting him. The vet says he is healthy. He's not skinny with ribs poking out or anything and he doesn't beg for food, so it looks like we just have a little man! We nicknamed him P-squared, which stands for Perpetual Puppy :3:

Crunch Bucket fucked around with this message at 16:27 on May 4, 2011

Crunch Bucket
Feb 11, 2008

I think they just come in a variety of healthy weights and sizes. Our oldest boy, Dexter, is 34lbs (down from 46lbs.. we let him get way too chunky a couple of years ago) The vet said he has a "perfect waistline" now and is at a good weight.. he is just SO much bigger than Dewey! He's our little hambeast.

Crunch Bucket
Feb 11, 2008

My boys destroy anything plush, so if your pup is anything like mine I'd just steer clear of anything that's not really sturdy and stick to Kong toys, cow bones, nylabones, etc.

Both Dex and Dewey love tennis balls. They are obsessed.

Crunch Bucket
Feb 11, 2008

Both of our corgis have an almost freakish love for small children. They get very calm and will slowly crawl into their laps to receive head scratches and belly rubs. :) That said, Tristesse is absolutely right that if you play rough with them (like a younger child might do) they can get really hyper really fast and get nippy even though they're not trying to hurt you.

I think corgis can be great dogs for children as long as they are given enough daily exercise to keep their energy in check. Each corgi will be different. My older dog (6 yrs) is worn out after 15-20 minutes of hard play (long range fetch is his favorite), while the younger one (1.5 years) can gogogogo for an hour before he drops. If we've had a busy week and aren't able to give them the playtime that they need, it's obvious in how restless and anxious they are.

Crunch Bucket fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Oct 12, 2011

Crunch Bucket
Feb 11, 2008

The suggestion to consider an older dog with a proven personality is a great one.

My stupid brother has gone through 3 shelter puppies because, he says, they were aggressive and made my nephew cry. I met all 3 puppies and they were just doing normal puppy stuff - nipping, jumping, etc. It was my brother who didn't want to put in the time to train the dog how to behave. It was always the dog's fault, in his mind. As soon as the puppy started acting like a puppy.. back to the pound it went.

Crunch Bucket
Feb 11, 2008

Need more photos!

From the left, Dexter, Dewey, and Dash.

Dex 'n Dew belong to us, Dash is Dewey's brother who belongs to our friends. We babysit him occasionally when they go out of town. The D-name thing was a total coincidence.. but we think it's cute. :)

Yes, Dexter was desperate need of a nail trim at the time this photo was taken.

Crunch Bucket
Feb 11, 2008

Tristesse posted:

Those are clearly fake, as that chair isn't covered in dog hair.

Ha! Oh how the photo deceives. Trust me, that furniture is hair central. We just warn our guests that if they wish to sit on any non wood/leather piece of furniture in our house, they are doing so at their own risk.

Crunch Bucket
Feb 11, 2008

My boys are also turbo-lickers, especially Dewey. He has to lick your forearm obsessively while you pet him. Dexter loves to lick mosquito bites and my husband swears his tongue has "medicine" since the bites itch less after being licked.

Crunch Bucket
Feb 11, 2008

I cannot watch the corgi flop one if I haven't been to the bathroom in a while, because I will most definitely pee myself. Oh god hilarious.

There has been talk of corgi derp lately, I see. I am here to tell you all that Dewey can out derp every doggie in this thread. I'm using my phone right now, but pics will be coming. Soon.

Crunch Bucket
Feb 11, 2008

I figured it might be easier if I link to the blog post of all of the derp photos of Dewey. If that's not okay and I need to take the link down, just let me know! :ohdear:

Christmas card outtakes: http://www.browniebites.net/2011-christmas-card-outtakes-corgi-style/

Crunch Bucket
Feb 11, 2008

Ha, we have mad fun torturing them with group photos. When Dewey's brother comes by to visit it's all kinds of corgi craziness.

Guinness could not be named anything else and have it be as fitting - what a pretty pup! That last derpalicious photo is hilarious.

Seems Hopkins has the same problem as Dewey. Tongue must remain out of mouth as much as possible. He's all, must taste EVERYTHING!

Crunch Bucket
Feb 11, 2008

Glad to see our boys aren't the only ones who like to play Tear My Throat Out. It used to freak me the hell out. Dexter is so much bigger than Dewey and would grab a big ole chunk of his neck and whip his head back and forth. I was sure I would look over one day and see blood and gristle flying everywhere, but apparently Dewey just loves it.

Also, spittle-covered corgis. Yep. When Dewey's brother comes over, all 3 of them are soaked in spit by the end of the night. That's the mark of a good time had by all.

Oh, and when we play fetch, Dexter ends up with little spotty wet marks on his back because Dewey thinks that pecking at him like a chicken will make us throw the ball faster. :downs:

Crunch Bucket
Feb 11, 2008

So I'm late this year, but here is the result of Dexter & Dewey's starring role in our Christmas card. :)

Dewey acts terrified when we put clothes and poo poo on him, so he pretty much remains motionless and lets us put him in any position we want. He's the lil' fella on top.

One of us was manning the camera while the other was standing on the couch making babytalk noises and squeaking toys to get them to look in the same direction.

This is an outtake and it totally looks like we beat them behind the scenes.

Crunch Bucket
Feb 11, 2008

Thanks. :) They are rascals.

Dexter (age 6) is a fairly high anxiety corgi. He has definitely mellowed out over the last year or so though. We are still trying to get him to bark less, but the boy just likes to bark.. at everything.

Dewey (age 2yrs and 9 months) is a much more chilled out dude, and has been ever since we got him when he was 8 weeks old. He has more energy than Dex and can run WAY faster (it's freaking hilarious to watch him leave Dexter in the dust) but he's not anxious at all. He also barely barks unless we're playing rowdy with him and he gets all excited.

They both picked up on verbal commands at young ages, but they were so drat stubborn about it. Like "Yeah, I understand you perfectly well, but I choose not to do what you ask. Deal with it." They are Pembrokes through and through in that regard.

Crunch Bucket
Feb 11, 2008

I would keep an eye on it but it'll most likely be fine. Our corgs are huge drama queens when they step on a sharp twig or pebble and they limp like they snapped their whole leg in two.

Crunch Bucket
Feb 11, 2008

My oldest boy Dexter is a two poops per day type of dude, but we call our youngest Dewey Two-Shits because we don't bother bringing him back inside after a walk unless he has dropped precisely two deuces.

Crunch Bucket
Feb 11, 2008

Welp I've posted up our annual blog post for Christmas card outtakes. Our poor tortured pups. As usual, there were lots and lots of derp faces. Here's a preview:

Dexter was soo pissed, haha.

You can see the rest right here.

Crunch Bucket
Feb 11, 2008

Eating snow a problem? I sure hope not, because...

Crunch Bucket
Feb 11, 2008

She is precious! She may grow out of the weird eating habits. Dexter had this thing where he would scoop up a mouthful of food, walk from the kitchen to the living room, drop it, and then eat it off the floor. Lather, rinse, repeat until the bowl was empty. He grew out of that in about a year.

Crunch Bucket
Feb 11, 2008

Our boys are only given nylabones, most KONGs, Chuck-it balls, or cow bones (the bleached plain kind). Anything else gets destroyed, dismembered, and (partially) digested.

Crunch Bucket
Feb 11, 2008

Punks, your corgs is adorable! His (her?) little feet look so well-groomed. My boys pitch an absolute shitfit whenever we come near them with the clippers. It's a two-person job with me doing the clips and my husband feeding them treats to distract. We tried the Pedi-Paws thing and that was a disaster, so now we just try to clip them manually whenever we have the stomach to tackle it, though I think their quick has lengthened a bit so we can't keep their nails as short as we'd like anymore.

Here are a couple of photos of my gremlins on a hike while vacationing in FL back in May, a hike that was cut short after a trail deemed "very dog friendly" ended up being covered in spiky brambles and low-lying cacti. Dog friendly my rear end.

Crunch Bucket
Feb 11, 2008

Thor has such gorgeous markings - I love the little black tips on the inside of his ears.

I love the whole short dog crossed with a lab/retriever thing. My friends were at a park this weekend and came across a corgi crossed with a golden retriever and sent me this picture. Pretty much the cutest thing ever.

Crunch Bucket
Feb 11, 2008

biggest platypus posted:

I'm figuring out all the puppy things I need to buy before she gets here, and one of those things is a crate. I'm leaning towards a wire one, for looks, collapsibility if I need to move or store it, airflow, etc. I googled it and some people on corgi forum sites seemed to recommended getting one in ~36". That seems pretty big, maybe just because it's the largest one in this amazon listing I'm looking at: http://www.amazon.com/Precision-Pet-Black-ProValu-Crate/dp/B0010ZH656/, but also because Tumbles's mom is on the small side - I think the breeder said she's 23 pounds. Here's a pic of mom (she is SUCH an affectionate dog!):

Our main crates for our boys are wire, and then we have one canvas travel crate that I despise. Even when the room it's in is cool and well-ventilated, it gets so hot inside of the crate, even with the side vents open. We can only use it for very short periods of time and still, as soon as we reach in there to lift them out or unzip it so they can come out themselves, the air inside feels like a sauna. I would go for the wire.

biggest platypus posted:

Does 36" seem like a good size for a probably-smallish corgi? Are there any downsides to wire crates I should consider? eg. I've read they aren't good for escape artist dogs... I'm not sure if many corgis fall into this category. I can always regroup later if it's not working, but I'd like to have a pretty educated first try at this. Thanks! I'm excited to share more pics soon (and in the meantime I love seeing all of yours...)

I have one undersized corgi (he's our lil' permanent puppy) and he uses a 30" and it fits him perfectly with a little extra room for him to stretch out. Then I have a big ole boy (not fat) who uses a 36". He's nice and comfy in there and has some room to spare, but a 30" would definitely be too small for him. The 36" is a big crate though. We basically arranged our bedroom furniture around how their two crates fit in there so things don't look cluttered.

Crunch Bucket
Feb 11, 2008

Ask and you shall receive! My hosting on these.

Here's Dewey, the little guy, being tortured for his yearly Christmas photos. He's about 3.5 years old here.

Here he is next to the bigger guy, Dexter.

I think his tongue grew to full size, while his body just never caught up.

Crunch Bucket
Feb 11, 2008

Millions posted:

How much does Dewey weigh? He looks about Tegan's size, she weighs in around 17 lbs and I constantly get people asking if she's a puppy despite being 5.

Wow she really is a small girl! Dewey's happy weight is around 21-22lbs, though over the winter he ballooned up several more pounds because I was flattened by pregnancy morning all-day sickness and they weren't getting their usual exercise at all, not even close. They both looked like sausages and we felt horrible and guilty about it. Once I got over the sickness my husband and I got serious about shedding their extra pudge and now they're both back to within a pound or so of their healthy weights. It's crazy how fast these guys can pack on the pounds with even slight lifestyle changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crunch Bucket
Feb 11, 2008

Anyone else's corgi spend half their life on their back? Because I swear this is how Dewey spends most of his days:

• Locked thread