Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008
We picked up Pepper just after Christmas. She's 6 months old now and she is scheduled to go in on Friday to get spayed :(

I'm surprised at how quiet she is; she rarely barks. Every morning before our walk, she gives me a nice playful little growl.

She's very submissive and highly socialized, probably a bit TOO socialized, as she runs in the direction of every dog and person she sees. She has to greet everyone. We consider it a work in progress

This was taken the first time we met Pepper. Her and another Corgi were digging a hole in the mud. It's pretty amazing her coat stayed so white throughout the process.

She's laying in a papasan chair covered in an X-mas blanket probably for the last time. Later that day, she jumped from our couch to the chair and knocked it over. To this day, she refuses to go near it

She has good taste! While we were looking away, she stood up on our coffee table and snatched one of the coasters we had on there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

Dr. Spaceman posted:

Oh man your dog is adorable! I love her name too.

Sorry for the stupid question, but is that more of a rare coloring? Most of the Pembrokes I see are usually solid orange/white. Every once in a while though, I will see a Corgi with a dark brown "cape." Those are my favorite. :3:

I don't think so? I've seen quite a few tri-colors around where I live, maybe it is a regional thing? The breeder I got her from loved the tri-color look a little more than the traditional red/white. She had a few red/whites left, but we chose her.

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

letsgoflyers81 posted:

That's really cute, it sounds like a typical Corgi warning bark as I like to call it. Nacho does it all the time when he sees or hears something "suspicious."

Here's a cute video with many of the typical sounds Corgis make. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tvwqTfES3o

Pepper does the "imitating other animals" sound quite a bit, more often than not when she comes out of her crate in the morning. She'll stretch her front legs and do her little growl. Other than that, I've heard her bark maybe 15-20 times in the 2 months we've had her, most of which were "attention barks."

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008
Here she is after her spaying. She was so pathetic with the Elizabethan collar on.

But now she's a happy puppy

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008
Our corgi (Pembroke) Pepper will only bark when instructed to, or when we are playing with her and it is acceptable for her to bark/growl. We have taught her the difference between growling and speaking and she is pretty good at it.

Otherwise, she is surprisingly quiet.

xboobookittifkxx: We can't give Pepper any kind of plush toy, as she destroys it within a few hours. We had one duck toy that we brought back with us from her breeder and it lasted maybe a month. She could never get it to quack, and once she found out how to, she ripped it to shreds. Now we only stick to balls, stronger/non-plush toys, and the occaisional rope toy.

abaddonis fucked around with this message at 21:14 on May 28, 2009

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008
I know most of you aren't in the area, but I figured that any word that gets out is better than no word.

A close friend of our breeder had 2 red/white pembroke corgi puppies stolen from the pen in their backyard this weekend. She said they were stolen between 2 and 3pm on Saturday while they were out running errands. She asked us if we could get the word out. The puppies were stolen from Kinsale, Virginia (eastern Virginia). Whomever stole them will most likely try to move them somewhere else where they can sell them, so if you're anywhere in Virginia, Maryland, North Carolina, keep on the look out. If you find them, contact local authorities and the breeder. Her information is at the following site.

http://www.cloverhillfarm.com/Clover%20Hill%20Farm/PWC.htm

I believe the 2 stolen are the two in the bottom 2 pictures up at the top.

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

xboobookittifkxx posted:

The puppies in those pictures, 2 little girls, were stolen. That is right. I have the flyer our breeder sent us. She said that they'd probably go to Richmond, Fredericksburg, or NOVA. I've got flyers up with our phone number as well. Poor little girls need their final shots and worming.

Just curious, what part of VA are you from that you know about this too?

I'm in Northern Virginia. I went down to Kinsale to pick up my Corgi, who is from a friend of the breeder. Our breeder sent us a copy of the flyer and asked us to get the word out.

Here is our puppy (9 months when photographed) Pepper. She loves just jumping and running around with other dogs. She is around 18-19 lbs, and I'm concerned that she is a bit undersized. Will she put on another 4-5 lbs so she'll be in the normal adult range?

Here she is with one of her bigger buddies Blue.

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008
Yeah, I assume she'll grow a little more in the next few months, she's only 10 months old. I'm just a little paranoid. I used to worry all the time about her hips, but it looks like she is fine. She only "bunny hops" when she is running and she has no pain, limp, problem jumping up onto furniture. I know I'm not a vet and those aren't the only signs, but I'm under the impression those are the big tell-tales of hip dysplasia.

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

Miss Indy posted:

Bunny hopping at that young of an age is a real concern. That bunny hopping is going to progress as she ages, especially if you keep her at a "normal" weight. She really needs to be a few lbs underweight so as to avoid putting unnecessary stress on her joints. Were I you, I'd see about getting her hips checked ASAP.

What I meant was, when she trots and walks, she uses all 4 legs independently. Only when she starts running and picking up speed is when she starts using the back legs together.

That being said, what is the ballpark price for x-rays and how old should they be when you get them?

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

londerwost posted:

Our male cats go after anachro's underwear and Josie chooses to go after anything having to do with my feet (shoes, socks, etc). Pets are so weird.

Pepper LOVES socks. Heaven forbid we leave a pair on the floor

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

Tristesse posted:

With mixes there's really no surefire way of telling how big/ small they're going to get so it's very likely it'll be much bigger or smaller than your mix. Even puppies of the same little of mutts have been known to vary greatly.

This.

My Corgi seems to be the smallest of her litter. Her siblings all seemed to be a few lbs heavier. I can't imagine seeing Pepper grow much more, and she slightly over 18lbs right now.

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

londerwost posted:

Josie has a thing for zippers since she was a little puppy. Even at 8 months, she decides that zippers need to be removed from the fabric. She ruined one of her best pillows just the other day after she'd been sleeping on it for months. I guess she was like "o HEY!" and went to town. I gotta figure out how to break her of that because I like my jackets and zip hoodies.

Pepper has found a weakness in one of her toys. We first bought her one of those "squid" Kong toys. It took her a good month or so to wear it down. The next one took her 3 weeks. Her most current one took her a two weeks. It isn't that she's tearing off the limbs of the toy. She's tearing off the whole fabric around the squeaky ball at the top.

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008
I would think it'd take more than 2 weeks to break the habit of living a certain way for 2 years. Give it time. Cute corgi too!

My corgi is a little over a year old and we're still trying to train her not to try and play with every animal she sees. It's like a child walking by the toy aisles in target.

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

Ringo Star Get posted:

I got some more but I don't want to overload you guys.

There is never enough corgi pictures. Speaking of which, I need to get a move on uploading some more of Pepper

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008
Asking some advice here

My corgi is right on the edge on frontline's weight guidelines (she is about 21.8 lbs). Would it be safe to get the 23-44lb level of frontline? Would that extra pound or so really make a huge difference?

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

streetlamp posted:

Gizmo isn't on frontline but they boosted his up to the next level when he was on the edge.

Thanks for the help. I promise I'll get more pictures of Pepper soon!

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008
I promised new pictures, so here they are. They're a few months old, but I finally got them off the camera.

She fukkin loves grass! She is about 9-10 months old in these photos and currently about a year and a half.

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

Ringo Star Get posted:

Figured I'd come here since a lot of people here own corgi's and Milhouse has brought out his full on douchiness.

Milhouse is just over a year old. He is a tugger and a ripper of his toys, which is something I am fully aware of. He has full access to his toys (he pulls out the box from the shelf) and gets plenty of exercise. He also plays with our cat Brock and the border collie mix Cloe.

He is a giant douche.

Whenever my girlfriend and I leave, be it for 20 minutes to grab something down the street or for a few hours for dinner, there is a slight chance that Milhouse will find something and destroy it. He has managed to tear a rug up, knock an Ipod stereo controller OFF a counter and chew it in half, tore up a regular ol' reservation book and has even managed to chew a hole in a wall. This can be done like I said, within 20 minutes or 3 hours.

He knows hes done something bad because when we come home, instead of greeting us at the door like he usually does, he'll go and hide. We don't punish since he won't know why we're punishing him, but aside from us "corgi proofing" everything, he always manages to get something else.

Is he acting out? Is it a phase? The only changes that has happened recently was that the vet had us reduce his food by the slightest since he was a bit over on his weight. We cut out unnecessary treats and late night snacks (we would give a few bits of kibble to help him sleep and now he carries his bowl to us, he stopped doing that though).

He gets plenty of love and play. I'm not kidding my goal everytime I'm over is to tire the hell out of this dog and usually we end up sleeping on each other.

So any tips?

Have you caught him in the act of destroying your stuff? You say he runs and hides, but have you seen him chewing something up and reprimanded him for it?

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008
Pepper must be the odd ball, she only destroys her toys. We gave her some old socks, and regular dog toys and she hasn't chewed a single thing.

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

Ringo Star Get posted:

Here he is attempting to steal the biggest stick outside with our border collie Cloe:

Hahaha, that's great.

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

Tunnelman posted:

Here's one of our two corgis. :3: His name is Tucker, took this photo a while back for a Christmas gift to give to my sister as she's the one who originally picked him out. His favorite hiding spot is a cubby hole in our laundry room.

Beautiful!

My wife and I are jumping in for Corgi # 2 this weekend.

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008
Here are some pictures of our new baby. He won't be with us for a few more weeks since he was only about 7 weeks old in these photos, but he's a hoot. His name is going to be Loki, and he has one blue eye and one brown eye. He is a half-brother to our current corgi, Pepper. Their mother got a nice year-and-a-half layoff between litters.

He wanted to eat my jeans apparently

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Here he is with Pepper.

Pepper is happy to have a brother! Ignore the dude in the picture, he just pays the bills and brings the food.

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008
Our breeder sent us a few new pictures of Loki. He's still too young to bring home, but we pick him up in a few weeks.

I'm pretty surprised on how well his ears are standing at 7-8 weeks. Our first corgi almost had to be taped, but just magically started standing one day.

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008
Loki is 12 weeks old, and quite the handful. He still loves his sister. They have the same mother, different fathers, and they're close to 1.5 years apart. His legs are already thicker than his mother's. He will definitely end up bigger than Pepper (his sister)

He's either sleep here, or by our shoe rack. The position remains the same though.

The funny thing about this picture is that it was literally 2 minutes right before he just took a gigantic dump on our extra bed.

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

noelcat posted:

Is that a torn up sock I see? My idiot corgi loves to rip holes in my socks :arghfist:

It is one of many. We gave them some old ones to play with

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

Mr.Citrus posted:

This is one of the cutest things I have ever seen.

I have a couple of questions but first a bit of background. I live in an large apartment with my roommate (responsible owner I've known since 10th grade) and his pembroke corgi puppy Rex, whom I'm helping raise. Rex was a Christmas gift from his parents (we both agreed that an animal as a gift is a horrible idea, so don't bother telling me). He gets plenty of exercise and playtime, and aside from having seemingly zero retrieval instinct he is is in terrific health. (were going to start him on puppy agility courses soon)

He's about 6 months old now and still teething, and his primary canines have been pushing out the old ones for what seems like 3 weeks. Should I be worried about them needing to be taken out by the vet? If so, would neutering be the best time to have them taken out or is that too stressful on a puppy?

Second, my love of this little fluff-ball has made me want to get Rex a friend to hang out with, and I just don't think I could get any dog other than a corgi. Are there any reputable breeders in Washington state? I've searched online but no breeders web page seems functional / up to date.

EDIT QUESTION: One last question, While he is very smart and has gotten plenty of interaction with other dogs, all of the dogs he plays with are incredibly friendly and he doesn't seem to understand aggressive dogs. While on a walk yesterday we ran into a dog who wanted to do nothing more than to attack him and Rex just kept his nub wagging and trying to initiate play while I was pulling him back. How can he learn to give other dogs space when they want it?

As far as the teeth go, ask an actual vet. 6 months is the widely accepted time frame to neuter your puppy. Ask the vet about the teeth when you bring him in. If the vet thinks that the teeth should come out, I don't think it'd be too much of a problem to pull the baby teeth out at the time of his neutering. Then again, I'm not a vet, so I could be wrong

Breeders: go to http://pembrokecorgi.org/memberlist.cfm and search for WA. I think it spits out close to 15 breeders. One has a website that works, but they all have phone numbers you can call. Don't be afraid to talk to them. Call them up and ask all of your questions. Maybe you can set up a time to bring your puppy and visit them. One word of advice though, don't get another puppy just because you want Rex to have a friend. Two dogs is a lot of work, as I am currently finding out. My wife and I talked it over for several months before we got Loki.

As far as your last question: How can he learn? Train him. For the sake of simplicity, it'd be easier to find a friend that has a friendly, well trained dog that won't run to greet at the sight of another dog. Have them stand 10 yards away or so (or whatever distance, it's up to you) and have them stand/sit there. Then, you can train your dog with the stay command or something similar. Make sure that their attention is on you and not the other dog. The idea is to have your dog well adjusted enough to wait for your okay to greet another dog.

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008
I feel like I should contribute more.

Pepper loves her little brother (sometimes). I'd say he is probably 14 weeks old or so in this one.

We're going on a road trip! Loki (the blue eye) is close to 6 months old. Pepper is closing in on 2 years old.

One is kissing, one doesn't quite grasp the concept

Feels good man...

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008
I Have 2 tri-color corgis and their coats actually lightened a little as they get older. I don't think its unreasonable to think they can't get darker

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008
Did anyone in the Virginia area go to the middleburg, va parade? There were easily 75 corgis in the corgi corps and I was curious to see if there were any other goons there

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008
Can anyone recommend a good pet insurance? Loki has been having some issues with vomiting and diarrhea. In exploring the cause of this, an X-ray showed his hips don't look the greatest. He has no issues right now, but he will down the road.

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008
A little update from before. it seems Loki might have developed a food allergy. He had been fine on a brand of food called Fromm (surf and turf) for quite some time. He was put on a perscription science diet and was fine. once he got off of it, he started having bouts of diarrhea again. Again, we put him back on the food and he's fine

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008
my dogs dont chew random things. they like to eat poop, but they wont chew tables, cords, etc.. My dog DID unplug my router once though

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

streetlamp posted:

Gizmo would like to see this thread bumped the gently caress up

!!! I think I've met you and gizmo at the mechanicsville dog park. I have 2 tri colors, Loki and pepper

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

abaddonis posted:

!!! I think I've met you and gizmo at the mechanicsville dog park. I have 2 tri colors, Loki and pepper

On 2nd thought, maybe not. I saw the vcu scarf and tried to put 2 and 2 together. I do remember a red/white there. Maybe it was nacho, not gizmo

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008
Pepper has been going through a hip dysphasia scare herself. She has been limping around and not putting pressure on her back right leg. She could still run, jump, play, etc., but she had this nasty limp when she walked. After a few weeks of trying to restrict her amount of play (who can truly 100% restrict a corgi from playing?) we were sure it was hip dysplasia, seeing how her mother had borderline hips. We just got the X-rays back and it showed no signs of dysplasia (I was shocked, really).

The vet thinks it might be a slight tear of a ligament in her leg. He said it would have to be a very small tear, as nothing showed up in the physical or X-ray. He wants us to take her out on a leash and restrict her exertion as much as possible and he is going to give her some anti-inflammatory drugs and see how that goes.

I will attempt to get more pictures soon.

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008
It looks like pepper has a torn ligament in her rear left leg. It's been 2 weeks after her vet visit and it got a little better, and then worse. Anyone have any experience with ligament surgery with corgis?

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

Angry Grimace posted:

It seems my Corgi is unlikely to have hip problems since her family has all been screened for hip issues back several generations. However, my wife's family once had a total hip replacement for their dog. It was about $5,000.00 but it fixed the hip problem almost entirely. That's of course, not a matter of not wanting to spend that much, but more that I literally don't think I could come up with that kind of money.

Genetics can play a big part in how the hips develop, but things work in mysterious ways. Pepper's mother is borderline hips, and I don't think her father had the best hips either, and her hips turned out fantastic. Loki, her half-brother (same mother) had a father that had pretty good hips, and his x-ray showed mild signs of dysplasia, letting us know he might have issues down the road.

You just never know

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008
Just an update: we got our consult with the orthopedic surgeon, and he confirmed that Pepper needs TPLO surgery. She has a small tear in her CCL. She should be back to almost full use approximately 2-3 months after surgery

It sucks, and it's a nice $3000 bill, but she's worth it.

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

elf pr0n posted:

Haven't checked this thread in awhile but Ula had to get TPLO surgery 3 years ago. It took her roughly 7 weeks to recover but she is back to normal now running and playing.

Only problem is she can't jump as high as Orson so I have to lift her up into my car and onto my bed. But she's worth it :)

Bonus picture of Ula after her surgery - she had to get a bucket on her head because she could reach around her cone and lick her stitches.

I'm glad Ula is doing better. Pepper couldn't jump up on our bed or into our cars anyways, so its all good. She goes in on the 27th and we get her back on the 28th. Our friend's lab had the same surgery but there was a complication. It took her almost 7 months to fully heal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008
Pepper has her surgery tomorrow. Hopefully she gets through it well.

• Locked thread