Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
My husband and I have decided that when the time is right, we are going to rescue or purchase a Pembroke Welsh Corgi. We're both madly in love with the breed - the frenetic energy level, the widdle stubby feets, the crazy herding dog brain (I grew up with a sheltie who was more or less my best friend as a child), the entire package. Now is not the time quite yet, but I figure now is the best time to do all the research I can on breeders and the breed itself. I found a website that, at first glance, seems like a good resource, but I'm getting all kinds of warning lights in my brain from it. After reading the guarantee, I'm not convinced at all that it's not just a site for BYBs to make a lot of money on badly-bred, over-priced puppies. Has anyone heard of https://www.washingtonwelshcorgibreeders.com before? Am I the only one getting the BYB vibe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

anachrodragon posted:

Yeah that site looks like a BYB/puppymill nightmare. I would start with the breed club instead:

http://www.pembrokecorgi.org/

That's what I was thinking, thanks. I've been sending out feelers to various PWCCA breeders around the western WA area, so hopefully I'll have established a good line of communication with a few when we're able to have a puppy. Or better still, a sweet adult Pem will be available at a shelter within a day's drive!

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Egad! posted:

Yeah, currently getting that. I also have a website now: http://welshpembrokecorgis.com

I don't know what to look for in regards to IDing it as a good breeder. She claims to have been researching for three years and this isn't an impulse by. But she just found this breeder within the hour.

Just from their FAQ and "pedigree" pages, it looks like there's no genetic testing done (or if there is, the results aren't listed), they don't seem to show their own dogs, and their description of the difference between "Welsh" and Cardigan Corgis is faulty. I'd say they are on the edge of BYB, since they do make sure to get their dogs and bitches from champion lines, but there's no showing done once they acquire the animals. The lack of testing is the big red flag to me. I wouldn't purchase from a breeder that doesn't show their OFA/CERF test results up-front.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
This mad little fella is the main reason that my husband and I are dead set on having a Corgi as our lifetime companion.

His name is Stubby, and he belonged to a family that I housesat for a few years back. At the time of the photo, he was 13 and had survived having an eye removed because of a tumor. Arthritis and no depth perception didn't stop him from going wild herding the family's goats or following me up and down the stairs and hopping on the bed to sleep with me at night. I don't know if he's still around, but if not, he had a hell of a good innings. I miss that guy. He made staying at that creepy country house infinitely more fun.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Tristesse posted:

If you don't know animals to be herded, be very prepared to need other activities for them to focus on, or they will invent their own which may no be good for you and your house.

That's one of the reasons we're so excited about the breed. We're pretty high-energy people for whom a great weekend includes a 10 mile bike ride or hike up Mt. Rainier, so we are not really considering typical "couch potato" dogs as much. My husband's favorite breed is the border collie (which is simply not feasible to have in this city), and my very best friend as a child was my Shetland Sheepdog, Casey. My husband needs someone to run with, and I need a clever and communicative companion on my long jaunts around Tacoma.

Of course, all this will depend on us being able to move to a place with a fenced yard and a little more financial stability, so the next couple of years are just going to be us playing the waiting game and doing hella research. Is there a trick to being patient, or do we just have to suffer through the Corgi-less years?

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

I Love You! posted:

While you make a good case for yourself, you do say BCs aren't feasable in your city. Why? Because corgis have at least the same level of activity and needs...

Less so much the energy, more the size. A lot of rentable places in the area within our financial range have size/weight limits on allowable pets. While size means nothing in terms of energy/trainability, it's just easier on us to not have to argue semantics with potential landlords, yaknow?

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Original.Evil posted:

Sophie is 4 IIRC (and not that fat like the picture would make it), and has reared several good litters of puppies that we enjoyed adopting out to people we knew (both dogs are AKC certified, vet inspected, vaccinated, parents on premises, handled daily, etc).

For the flames we are about to receive, Father, we thank thee.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Miss Indy posted:

More corgis, yes? Zeke is a superstar swimmer!

We also just found out that one of his molars has a bad slab fracture and will need to come out next week. Poor dude :(

You got Zeke from Afara/Paul Chen, yes? How did that go? I've heard mixed things about Afara. I'd love either a Cardi or a Pem, so I'd love to hear your experience with that breeder.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Agent Nick posted:

We've (my girlfriend turned fiancee) been wanting to get a dog for a while now, but she wants a Pomeranian (feh!) or some sort of a hound (I think she had too much Disney as a kid) and I used to have a Husky, so I'm used to big dogs. Would a Corgi make for a great companionship dog for people who are starting a life together? Like, are they good with kids and stuff? I've seen a lot of pics here on the forums and they just seem like really friendly, really fun little best friends, and that's more or less exactly what I want right now.

What's your energy level like? Corgis are first and foremost herding dogs, which means they need plenty of outlet for their mental and physical energy. They are clever and active dogs. My main experience with one (a Pembroke) was with a 14 year old, half-blind Corgi, and his energy level was on par with my parents' 4 year old Golden Retriever. Without an outlet, they can become bored and therefore destructive.

Also, as a recently married 20-something, I have to advise against getting a dog at this stage in your life. Dogs are major investments of both money and time. I have seen so many people my age get dogs only to later realize just what kind of commitment they made. However, if you're dead set, be absolutely sure you have the time and the budget before getting attached to a pair of big puppy eyes.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

lu lu lu posted:

I joke with my husband that we should all get together and arrange a goon-only litter.

My husband keeps repeating that we're at least two years out from being able to have our own dog, but I would begborrowsteal to get a deposit on a puppy from this here hypothetical litter.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
It is very nearly official: within the next year, I am going to become one of the Washington Corgoon set.

My husband and I went to the Point Defiance meetup to talk to some owners and get more personal experience with the corgi personalities. As a result, we've definitely decided on a Cardigan. Now comes the fun choice of breeders. Since we're in Tacoma, I'm leaning toward Afara/Paul Chen, but we're definitely open to suggestions.

Here's another question. Since we knew a future puppy was going to be a major factor in choosing our new apartment, we went with a ground floor (less sound traveling when puppy barks) apartment in an apartment complex that has an on-site 4 acre dog park and a free (when pet deposit is paid) concierge service that will walk your dog while you're at work. That said, the OP definitely mentions that apartments can be problematic for corgi puppies. I guess my question is: will the major benefits outweigh the potential issues? Will a breeder look askance at us for living in an apartment? We did try to find a house with a fenced yard, but the ones in our price range and within a 5 mile radius of work did not allow pets, and we didn't want to dip into our savings too deeply...we need that for dogfund!

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
Hey everyone! I know there are a lot of western Washington corg-goons, so I thought I'd just throw this out there. Seattle Purebred Dog Rescue currently does not have a breed representative for the Cardigan Welsh Corgi. They have one for the Pems, but none for the Cardi. The breed representatives are hugely important to the success of SPDR.

From their website:
"Breed Reps typically possess extensive first-hand knowledge and experience with a particular breed. Often they have been involved in training and showing the breed, and are sometimes active with local or national breed clubs. These individuals have developed an understanding of the specific health, behavior, and personality traits of the breed, and have a personal interest in rescue.

As a result of an SPDR Breed Rep’s guidance during adoption, prospective adopters are able to:

1. Learn more about a particular breed before making a decision to adopt.

2. Determine whether a particular breed is right for their lifestyle and expectations.

3. Avoid spending days or weeks visiting shelters in search of a particular breed.

4. Get a knowledgeable opinion about a specific dog to determine its unique characteristics, adoptability, and appropriate “fit” for their household.

Most importantly, an SPDR Breed Rep’s commitment continues long after adoption. When questions or issues arise, the adoptive family can ask for advice in matters of health, behavior, and training."

This would likely be a very demanding task, but very worthwhile. I'm not from the organization or anything like that. I just thought there might be some interest in this.

EDIT: for clarification, this would be totally a volunteer thing. I don't think SPDR breed reps get paid, except in satisfaction and knowledge of a job well done.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
Have any of the Washington Corgoons been to Ewetopia before? It's in Roy, which is a bit of a drive for the Seattlites (finally, an advantage of living in Tacoma!), but my friend who takes her BC there every few months says the drive is completely worth it. They've got a fenced dog park and agility equipment while you wait for your lesson, and they offer both sheep and ducks.

Just curious what kind of experience it would be for a corgi rather than a border collie. I know they have extremely different herding styles and backgrounds.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
Going to the Seattle Kennel Club show tomorrow; I promise to bring back lots of photos of the corgs!

(and rally and obedience and agility...)

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
So I ended up failing really hard. Daylight Savings Time apparently happened, which meant that instead of being at the show at 9 like planned, we were out the door at 9:15 WITHOUT a camera. So no pictures of all the gorgeous Cardis. I apologize profusely. But Pilot from C-Myste was definitely there, and I got to meet Leo from Toreth and Kim from Samhain, and I found out that Paul Chen's Ivy died unexpectedly last year, which made me really sad, because she was a gorgeous dog. I earned brownie points by asking if Leo's Karma (who is one of the sweetest and softest dogs I've ever encountered) was a Carbon baby (which, to be fair, is like asking any given person if they're descended from Noah, these days).

The agility was so fun to watch. Only saw one corgi, a fluffy Pem. It had one of the best runs in that division though. The shelties were over-the-top excited, and one barked about 9 times every time it jumped.

I really wish I had gotten pictures, though. WonderBra, I totally probably saw you! My husband and I were sitting on the bleachers for the Pembrokes. He was infinitely less enthralled than I was, but he got excited about the Cardis and wanted to come up with good dog names and Halloween costumes in the car ride back.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Wonder Bra posted:

Um, you were totally standing right next to me when you asked that! At least, I think so! I was petting Karma with some kids and a girl came up and asked if Karma was a Carbon dog and Karma's owner was all excited. And then you(?) said you thought the big spots were recognizable from Carbon's line, and the lady said that Carbon has so many progeny everywhere, but he's Karma's granddad or something like that.

Was that you?!

Holy crap. Were you the one with a guy and with the really cute short haircut? Because yeah, that was me! UNINTENTIONAL GOONMEET ITT.

Edit: also you just barely missed the Cardis by taking photos of the Afghans. They were right across from each other at the same time.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
After two years of waiting, saving, and researching, my husband and I are finally on a list for a puppy from Paul Chen! He is waiting for Madison (Afara Make A Wish) to go into heat, and then once it is confirmed she's pregnant, that's when the fun begins!

What should I expect from this point, conversation-with-breeder-wise? He's got a fairly good idea of our living situation and what we're looking for in a dog, but what will the basic process from here on out be like?

Madison's 3/4 sister is Ivy (Afara Incandescent):

Her father, however, is Truman (Wolfrun Afara Far And Away), and she's black and white like him:

I don't yet know who she's being bred to, but I know he's a blue merle, so my dog will either be a blue or a b/w, both of which are totally gorgeous!

Miss Indy, I think that means that our dogs will be some kind of uncle-niece situation, since Zeke is Madison's mother Zoe's littermate.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

anachrodragon posted:

Congrats on your upcoming Cardi pup. Those are both gorgeous dogs.

When we got Josie, I had several back and forth emails with the breeder. We'd originally expected to get a puppy that summer, but due to economic circumstances in Fall/Winter 2008, several people had backed out on her current litter, so there were homes needed for puppies right away. I remember asking about puppy-proofing the house, and how best to introduce cats, and the personalities of the available pups. I also remember providing vet references, and personal references from a couple of friends. Overall, I think she was happy with us for several reasons: we own our house, we have a big fenced yard, my husband can take the dog to work, and our vet loves us.

Well, this will be interesting then. Paul doesn't require a fenced yard for this reason (and I quote): "I bought my first Pem when I was in Graduate School so she spent her first 2 years living in the back of my station wagon and being walked between classes so I cannot require yards." Which is good, because we are currently (for now) apartment dwellers. Our apartment is *~*freaking amazing*~* though, in that it has a fully-fenced dog part on-site and a free concierge service that will walk your dog while you're at work. Luckily, we won't need that for a long while yet, since I'm still doing the student thing part-time, and someone will literally be at home with the puppy at all times. Also, this is our first real pet (the horrible evil murder-hamsters don't count), so not sure how we'll get references from a vet. I've got a good one chosen, but we've never taken an animal there, so I guess we'll just make the initial appointment and get written proof that we have done so.

Other than that, all I can really do is just keep up the email correspondence once they get back from the CWCCA Nationals!

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Dancingthroughlife posted:

Sometime in the next year we plan to get a dog. We're doubtful we'll be able to afford a breeder, so we'll be checking petfinder periodically. Can someone explain why you want a corgi's ears to stand up? I get that that's the way they're supposed to be, but why?

Pretty much for the same reason that you want a Labrador's ears to flop. Breed standard. If you're asking why the breed evolved in that direction, there may not be an answer. It just happened that way and it's been kept as part of what makes a corgi a corgi. Plus, it's just so darned cute!

Also, if you get a corgi through a shelter or rescue (good on you for that, by the way!), be sure to have a good emergency backup fund in case it develops some major health issues down the line. Corgis are susceptible to a number of unpleasant genetic problems, so do keep that in mind. The initial cost of a puppy or older dog from a breeder is literally nothing in comparison to, say, surgery for severe hip dysplasia or the emotional cost of degenerative myelopathy.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Dancingthroughlife posted:

Thanks Butwhatif, we'll definitely keep that in mind. :) Thanks for the answer, that's what I thought but didn't know how to put it into words. We probably will end up going with a rescue, so we can have an emergency fund. Maybe not even go with a corgi, just depends on how our life is in 2012.
I searched online for breeders and found an alarming amount of BYB. Including one called Nextdaydog.com :gonk:

Yeah, pretty much the only way I trust breeders I find online is if they were found through the national breed club (in my case, the CWCCA) or directly recommended from a breeder on that list. The whole nextdaypets thing is pretty awful, and it's really sad that most people don't seem to understand how crappy those breeders are. I have literally been called a snob for trying to educate people about byb's.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
Anyone else planning on going to this? I was considering it, if only to get a nice, full picture of corgi personalities (and to keep me sane while I wait).

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
I'm starting to compile a wishlist for the upcoming pup, so I'd like to know:
What is your corgi's favorite toy?

We've bought a Kong Wobbler for now, and we add to the growing stash every month (to offset the tremendous cost so it's not all at once depleting the bank account), so what should we add next?

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

aliceamadee posted:

Hi guys!

We're visiting this breeder on Monday: http://bigearskennel.blogspot.com/

We're going to ask a ton of questions and scope the place out. He said the puppies will be available for pickup 3 weeks later, so it's good that he's encouraging people to visit FIRST and not just show up for a puppy. It also looks like he has shown his dogs. We found him from the Cardigan club website.

We're going to ask about the health of the dogs/ if they've been screened because there's no info on that on his blog.

Does anyone know anything about him?

Does he have a webpage separate from the blog? It's hard to tell many things from that website because it is an informal blog, but a few questions stand out already. Definitely ask about the health screenings (and you can do some sneaky checking up on the OFA website, http://www.offa.org/ by doing a search on all dogs with the kennel name). I'd also ask why he specifically breeds for black and white/blue merles, and no others. Another red flag is that he claims to have 3 litters a year. Usually (but not always) stand-out breeders only breed when they are certain they can improve on the previous generation, which means it doesn't happen all that often.

I wouldn't toss this breeder off your list yet, but do get those questions answered first. I'm very surprised that the litter that's on the ground hasn't all been spoken for yet. From what I've read, if there isn't a waitlist for a particular breeder, there's usually a reason. Keep that in the back of your mind.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

aliceamadee posted:

Thanks for the input. I know we don't have enough info to make a decision yet, but hopefully visiting and asking around will help!

I found this info that has a pedigree list: http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/bigears/kids.html & http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/bigears/shadi.html -- looks like a super old angelfire website with no real info about trying to sell puppies.

None of the animals on there hit on OFA that I could see, but I may have been searching wrong/ searching animals way back in the line that this guy wasn't involved with? I'm definitely going to ask about OFA checks on Monday.

I also emailed tons of other breeders in the area and am going to get on some of their waitlists for upcoming litters, so if this guy is sketch, not all is lost.

Another really good resource for searching for Cardigans and getting info on registered names is The Cardigan Archives. It's a bit hit or miss, especially if a breeder isn't computer-savvy, but I've found some interesting stuff on those pages. It lists both registered and call names, so sometimes you can find one or the other. You can also do a search by owner or breeder's name. Plus some breeders have uploaded pictures! Basically even if it doesn't have exactly what you're looking for, it's still a really fun timesink. :)

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
On a personal update note, I called Paul Chen to see if there were any updates on his upcoming litters, and I learned that Jolene was bred a week or so ago, and Madison would be bred using frozen this week! So one way or another, there will likely be puppies to drool over around July! Which means I could have my Cardi puppy around the second week of September, assuming that there is a puppy in one of these two litters that is right for us!

I can't believe how quickly this is all happening! I thought we'd end up on a waitlist for another 6 months if we went with our first choice!

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
i hate all of you so much been on waitlist since april puppies not due until july won't get to bring home until september jesus going to explode

(not really, just OH GOD THE WAITING)
:)

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Crunk Abortion posted:

Got a reply from the breeder today, and from what I've seen so far they seem pretty legitimate. Reading all the info on PI has made me into a byb-paranoid sonofabitch so I figured I'd double check with you guys since you seem to know what the gently caress you're talking about.

Edit: It's looking like she hasn't been screened yet for DM, but her hips and eyes are certified. How much does it cost to have that screening done?

The breeder looks good...really good! I don't know if you need to screen for DM - most breeders don't screen dogs that won't be breeding stock - but if it's just for your own peace of mind, the OFA website says that submitting DNA for a DM test is $65 per dog. Here's the link to take you to their "shopping cart" (lol).

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

aliceamadee posted:

our friend visited and took a cute picture of Orbit with his tongue sticking out:

here's an all-ears-and-tail picture:

I WANT THIS DOG GIVE ME HIM

Looks like we're still about 2-3 weeks out from the Afara litters being born (according to my very imprecise calculations), so nothing new to report. At what stage should I be losing my mind with impatience? The kennel's bought, the kongs are bought, the Blue Buffalo coupons (hooray employee discounts!) are stored, the clicker-and-lanyard are bought, we're registered for my training classes, still need to pick up brushes and bowls, but well underway.

Here's a question. Since corgis are prone to the kinds of ailments that plague larger breeds like GSD's, would it be beneficial to put them on a large breed food formula once they switch to adult food? I know Blue's contains extra glucosamine and chondroitin that is supposed to help joints in general and hips specifically. I don't really want to take any chances, since the goal is to have him/her be a performance agility dog.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

The Bandit posted:

I'm aware of the time commitment, currently our schedules work out perfectly. I work mostly nights and she has a traditional job, so we would always have someone with the pup. I meant to include this, I just got sidetracked writing my post

My warning would be this: Expect to wait. Make sure your schedules work out perfectly about 6 months down the line, rather than right now. Once you find a breeder you really trust and admire, be prepared to sit tight on a waitlist for a good while. We've been on a waitlist since April, but because this breeder was our #1 choice, it's going to be worth it. In the end, it's really the breeder you are getting, not the puppy. Each breeder has slightly different goals for their operation, so make sure your personal household needs mesh with the kinds of dogs your breeder produces.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
Just got an email (well, SEVEN emails) from Paul Chen of Afara today...

THERE ARE SEVEN PUPPIES! The Rocky x Jolene litter is now 5 weeks old, and there are 6 boys and 1 girl. 3 of the boys are b/w, 3 are blue merle, and the girl is b/w.

I will have pics as soon as I know what's happening next!

Which leads me to my question: What happens next? I really truly don't have a preference, literally all of them are disgustingly adorable. Should I immediately reply to let him know I'm still on board and have fingers crossed that one of the pups is right for us? Should I call? (I'm leaning toward calling.)

I could have a dog in less than a month, after waiting SO LONG oh my god!

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
PICTUUUUUUURES!

Black boy #1:

I'm in love with the heart-shaped blaze, and his overall structure looks good to me.

Black boy #2:

Pretty white collar and awww what a face.

Black boy #3:

Eee the freckle by his nose!

Blue boy #1:

Wook at da widdle stubby feetsies!

Blue boy #2:

His freckly face reminds me of the sheltie I had as a kid. So sweet!

Blue boy #3:

Real nice build, polar bear face! Precious.

Black girl:

Her face is so much shorter and stubbier than her brothers'. This is the one my husband will push for.

I think my two favorites are black boy #1 and blue boy #3. I sent an email asking if there's a good time for us to come visit. I'd like to talk in person best of all, but a phone call is the next best thing. I'm guessing we'll have a lot to talk about!

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Tristesse posted:

Oh my god all these puppy pictures.

I wish I won the lottery I would get all the corgis. Big house full of puppies. Puppppppiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssss

This is literally the worst idea ever spawned by a brain, but I keep wanting to call and be like "CAN I HAVE ALL SEVEN PLZ??"

Literally the worst. High-energy puppy^7. I would never sleep again.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

The Dave posted:

I imagine with 7 Corgis they just constantly chase each other in a perfect circle and you never have to worry about their exercise or play time.

If someone drew this, it would be my avatar forever.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
So uh, this happened.

Apparently 6-7 week old puppies think that clothes and shoes are delicious.

She has the darkest little eyes in her fluffy white face, and she was the only one who whined and jumped when I got up to leave the puppy pen. Her breeder says she's the stand-out agility prospect of the litter and that he was pretty bummed that she had the mismark, because her conformation is decent otherwise.

I did a very unscientific test to make sure we don't need to do a BAER later, and she definitely paid attention to me when I made a stupid noise at her. We pick her up on Friday and we need a name, because my husband wants to call her Snowcone and uhhhh.

Eeeeee I have a puppy!

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

a life less posted:

Holy crap, congrats. Where's she from? Let's see some links to the rest of the litter!

I have a soft spot for mismarks. She looks a LOT like the pup I first had my eye on from Cohen's litter. Only, well, a Corgi.

She's from Afara/Paul Chen, the BIS BISS AM GrCH Xtacee Dancin In The Moonlight x Afara Make a Wish litter.

Her brothers and sister:

This guy has the BLUEST eyes. They think he's a cryptic merle, but since he doesn't actually show any merling, he's not showable either.

Her lone sister, who as far as I could tell has a real "oh, you want me to what? Well gently caress THAAAAAAT" personality. Cute, but not real biddable yet.

And their father, who I gather is the #3 Cardigan in the country right now:

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

badmomrising posted:

Very cute--but with all that head white, and merle behind her, etc. pony up the 20$ and get the BAER test done. It's worth it to know if you have a unilateral pup, as it can have behavioural implications down the road. (And yes, a uni puppy can hear you making squeaking noises!) Actually, I'm kinda surprised the whole litter wasn't tested, but maybe BAER isn't a CHIC requirement in Cardis?

Good lord, the cute. :3: Have fun with her; as for names, how about "Weisswurst?" or "Flocon" or "Drift?" or "Milou"? White names are fun; I'm already storing them up in case we get a white Ibizan!

I may get the test done, but I did see pigment in both ears, so it'll probably get done further down the road. She's technically not a merle, herself, and according to the breeder, the only time he's ever heard of hearing problems in Cardis is in double merles.

And I'm definitely feeling Snowdrift or Drift right now. It'll be a matter of convincing the husband to drop the name Snowcone - our dog is not a summer snack!

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
Whoooooooo has a puppy dump!

The crate and toys are all prepped...

The bed's all ready...

All we need is a puppy! (not pictured: banshee-like shrieks in the car and on the ferry)

Tasty nylabone!

Chomp chomp chomp

Tiny spaces are best.

Fluffy and delicious

So ferocious!

widdle puppeh

All tuckered out.

Well, uh, that's an interesting way to sleep.

Gonna have to work on this whole "leash" thing.

floop

sprawl

Who's a cutie puppy? YOU ARE! YOU ARE!

How is that comfortable?

Not a morning person.

Tickle tickle tickle!

Yes, minions, adore me.

Her name is Neigé, which is French for "snowing."

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

aliceamadee posted:

Ahhhh nova is so grown up!

I love Josie too. What a face!

Orbit started agility and loooooooves it so far. We are obviously keeping it super slow and casual while he is still young and growing. Any other agility corgis here? Our trainer was so excited to get a corgi!

Neigé will be starting it as soon as she's a bit older... 10 weeks is still a little young, I think. My husband has hinted, though, that I will be receiving some agility-related things for my birthday this month, so I'll probably play around with that and read up on how to introduce the non-high impact obstacles.

And because I can't remember the last time I posted any photos of the wee beastie:

Her ears at 9 weeks. Starting to come up!

Playing with her ONLY squeaky toy (I am cruel but sane).

One ear up, one ear not so up.

Smoosh dog eat my couch.

Uncle Lenny the Pomeranian steals her bed.

Then teaches her to play bitey-face!

furbabby (excuse the hideous clothes...those were the only clean shorts I could find for bathtime)

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
Is it a corgi or a bull terrier? YOU DECIDE.

Mah brokeface dawg.

She's basically back to normal now, just a little bit more jumpy about being surprised. She yelped when I sneaked up on her to play "tap the butt" without her knowledge earlier today, but she's fine around other dogs, so I guess that's good.

She's been spoiled all to hell since she got chomped, and this is the result:

"What, this couch is mine, isn't it?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Miss Indy posted:

Wait, what happened??! That's what Zeke looks like when he tries to mouth bees...

Sorry I left you hanging on this for like a month; real life is interfering with my internet life.

Neige got chomped in the face by a classmate's dog and had a fracture on her nose and upper jaw. She's pretty much back to normal now, but the swelling made her look completely ridiculous. And she should look like Zeke...Zeke's sister Zoe is Neige's grandmother! No bees though.

• Locked thread