Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Break Fast
Mar 27, 2012
Rather new dog owner here. Was researching Welsh Corgies for a good while until finally I made a trip through several countries to get my pup two months ago.

This is Guinness. :)

One of the pictures I received of him from breeders before the trip.

After a 16 hours long drive finally at his new home.

The face he gives me everytime we play and he gets on his back.

Just being cute.

Running like there's no tomorrow in a park.

A second before biting my arm while I try to photograph him.

In a park looking at ducks in a pond.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Break Fast
Mar 27, 2012

Plus_Infinity posted:

Guinness looks so much like Orbit. Thin white blaze, white chest doesn't go in a collar all the way around his neck, brindle on the cheeks... they could be brothers! Here are some of him when he was a baby:

I need to take some more recent ones! His brindle has come in a lot more.
How old is he now? Might be his secret twin brother!

We don't have a lot of Corgies down here, and because of that I was very surprised to meet one a week or so ago. He was an exact copy of Guinness, but 2 years older. It was kind of weird seeing how he is going to look like in 2 years time. Like a mini time-machine.

Awesome Animals posted:

You all make it so hard for me to hold off on getting myself a Corgi companion!
What's making you hold out? :(

Break Fast fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jan 8, 2013

Break Fast
Mar 27, 2012

Plus_Infinity posted:

Orbit is 11 months old.
Great. Another month till the big day.
Be sure to get a recent picture up in here. Can't wait to see that.

Awesome Animals posted:

So, I'm trying to show that I'm grown up.
That's very mature. You will get one little bugger eventually. And it's going to be awesome!

Break Fast
Mar 27, 2012

Miss Indy posted:

Good lord, is Guiness ever cute!

Anyway, a pic of him bringing the sheep to my husband.

That's blue merle isn't it? I love my Corgi a lot, but I must admit that I was looking for a blue merle boy at first, since they are just incredibly pretty for me.

I can't imagine how much work you have put into him to be able to control him that well. I started to go to dogs' school two week ago and been working on my home assignments with him everyday. Even the very, very basic stuff like "Come here", "Sit", "Lay Down" is quite hard to execute. All he wants to do is run around, taste things and play with other dogs. :)

He listens to me quite fine when we are alone or there's a dog he already knows around, but as soon as he seems a dog he haven't seen before, he makes a B-line to him instantly.

All in good time I guess, all in good time.

Break Fast
Mar 27, 2012

Miss Indy posted:

At the end of the sessions Zeke does tend to shut his ears off and will start rolling in mud or eating sheep poop. We watch him closely, and when he starts showing signs of fatigue or boredom, we will switch to something more challenging or cut it off for the day.
I can't help but giggle a bit and smile reading this.
I love it when my Cardi goes nuts in puddles and mud in the park. Although it's a real chore to get him clean afterwards, the fun he's having is just shooting out of his ears. :) I guess I'm still new to this and am overexaggerating my emotion when he's having a good time, but drat if it's not fun.

Break Fast
Mar 27, 2012

RurouNNy posted:

Look at all dem Cardigans on this page :3:

Took my Cardigan Corra to the ocean for the first time today.

Beaches are great for digging

She's beautiful. So lovely. :3:
I was actually planning on taking Guinness to the sea for the first time yesterday, but the weather switched from +15' to -2' C in matter of 12 hours, so that was kind of out of the question. Once the heat that's covering West Europe gets to me (+23 in UK o.o) my Cardi will see the Sea for the first time ever.

Miss Indy posted:

It is pretty funny when they go all hellbent on rolling in something disgusting. As awful as I know the bath after is going to be, the look of sheer joy on their face is pretty :3:
I often look at Guinness and wonder if the fact that Corgies are one of the more intelligent dog breed out there is not infact partnered with them being one of the biggest dumbasses aswell. ^_^ The dumb things they manage to pull off sometimes is just incredible.

Break Fast
Mar 27, 2012
I think it's pretty much a wild card when it comes to cat/corgi relationships.

My Persian cat Jim Bim is 11 y/o now and is quite calm. And even though he has nothing against playing games, the games he likes very much differ from the ones that my Corgi does.

The cat often walks very quietly up to him, when he's sleeping, investigates him calmly and then lays down somewhere near him and sleeps with him. But when Guinness is awake, all he wants to do is play with the cat (basically run in a straight line into him and brawl) and that of course scares the old guy.

I hope Guinness will become more calm around him for them before it's too late.

Oh and Corgies might not be the largest buddies out there, but drat if they are not one of the more active breeds out there. :)

Break Fast
Mar 27, 2012
Whoever said owning a dog isn't expensive. ^_^

Break Fast
Mar 27, 2012
Went away for a day and left Guinness at my parents to take him out. Long story short they thought it was fun that he wanted to eat and bury himself in snow, which resulted in him catching a fewer and getting a heated throat.
Went to a vet today after he continued to sneeze throughout the day and non-stop whenever I took him outside. Gave him a couple of shots and a couple of pills to give him every day until Friday.

The babbling aside, what are your ways to trick your sweet friend to eat them pills w/o spitting them. I'm guessing mixing it with something he likes to eat would be good, but is there any other ways you find to work?

Break Fast
Mar 27, 2012
Just wanted to share something.

Last couple of days Guinness has been on home regime since he's sick and it's very cold outside. I have been taking him out about 5 times a day for about 30 seconds at a time to a toilet sort of speak.

Other than that he hasn't seen outside or fresh air for 3 days now.
And let me tell you - he's a NIGHTMARE to live with at the moment. He wants to play non-stop, when he doesn't - he either bites everyone everywhere (if noones is around, he'll tear apart anything in sight) or barks in sooo highly pitched manner it's headbreaking.

So please, for your own sake, walk your Corgies outside a lot and make him exhausted atleast twice a day or your nerves are going to be killed within a week. :)

Oh and on the pill taking topic - I kind of giggled when one time I gave him a piece of bread, he ate it. Then I gave him bread with a pill inside it, he started to chew on it, spat out the bread and started to devour the pill, chewed on it for about 30 seconds, ate it and continued with his bread. :3:

When they are not assholes because of no exercise, they are just about the loveliest beings out there.

Break Fast
Mar 27, 2012
So.
Much.
Corgi.
Cuteness.

I want 'em all!

Also I must add that mufflers look extremely awesome on Corgies. I wish Guinness didn't tear apart anything I put on him. ^_^

Break Fast
Mar 27, 2012

Noctone posted:

Omg I want that to be my life.

Also, I discovered the :3:-est :3: video that ever :3:-ed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yD3yVwC0fjg
The one you posted and this one are two of my favorite Corgi videos I have ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glii-kazad8

Break Fast
Mar 27, 2012
Additionally these laminated floors are very slippery, which makes for hilarious accidents when them puppies run around. :)

Break Fast
Mar 27, 2012
There isn't awful lot to do at home, while Guinness is sick, so I kill boredom trying to photograph the little guy.

Sooooo hangover from the last night bro, lemme just nap for couple more hours.

The weather looks great outside though.

But since I can't go, I will just lay down here for a minute..

*yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn*

I'm still watching you though. Don't you dare going outside without me.

You must admit though, that's a hell of a herp-le-derp yawn right there. :)

Edit: Such lovely photos Crunch Bucket. I lost it at "… not quite what I had in mind." :3:

Break Fast fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 6, 2012

Break Fast
Mar 27, 2012
Sorry if I'm mistaken ButWhatIf, but what kind of breed mix is that? The overwhelming white seems rather unusual for a Corgi.
Don't get me wrong, I love it, just curious. :)

Break Fast
Mar 27, 2012
Though I would share with a picture our breeder sent us a couple of days ago of Guinness' brother and sister.

His sister "Gin & Tonic" is having a little derp-a-licious face. Enjoy. :)

Break Fast
Mar 27, 2012
The good old "Tear My Throat Apart" game. :)
My friend's 2 y/o non-breed dog Hugo and Guinness are real pros at it. Every time we go to her house they are both perfectly fine and in perfect condition. An hour passes and the house is a mess and they both are all wet in each others saliva. ^_^

Anyway, Guinness is finally all well and we went outside for 30 minutes today to visit a dog park nearby. It was all empty since it was 1 pm, but the fun and excitement that came out of the little guy was amazing. His tongue never went inside his mouth and the spittle went around in all directions.

p.s. - Neige is beautiful. :3

Break Fast
Mar 27, 2012
I present you A Flying Corgi!

Also little bonus derp.

Break Fast
Mar 27, 2012
Guinness is extremely afraid of vacuum cleaner. Though he's quite young, so maybe I get to do this instead of bathing him everytime we come home in a year or so. It looks a lot of fun though. :)

We went to see our best dog bud Hugo today and induced some derpness into him.

Dumbasses running around like fools. :3:

Looks so much like a Corgi from behind. Still as sweet as one.

Post up your dog best buds if you have any pictures of them. Have a nice Corgi-filled weekend. :)

Break Fast
Mar 27, 2012

Plus_Infinity posted:

Aww! What kind of dog is Hugo? He's so cute!
He's taken from dog shelter. He has no birth certificate, so it's rather hard to determine what kind of parents he had.
It is believed though that he has a Corgi mother or grandmother, since he was found in a neighborhood where a Cardigan bitch was lost. It's a really long shot, but who knows. He kind of looks like a Cardi.

One of his ears is always staying up and the other hangs down. We jokingly say that one of his parents was a Cardi and other from a breed with hanging ears. :)

Anyway, it's still weird looking at Orbit. He looks so much like Guinness but with a little less brindle on cheeks and a cute white spot on the back.
Was watching one of the videos when my girlfriend came in a room and she too said that they are so alike.

The one with Gravity is so cute. Love it. :3:

Break Fast
Mar 27, 2012

Miss Indy posted:

Uhh... #57 is Zeke. I don't know where they found that picture, but they certainly did not ask permission to use it.

I don't think they asked for permission on any of those unfortunately.

It's a great costume nevertheless. :)

Break Fast
Mar 27, 2012
Going to vet tomorrow with Guinness to remove his baby fang which is troubling the life of the real one.

He is going to be put under anaesthesia while the baby fangs is being removed. I have no idea how animals react when they wake up.
Has anyone got any experience with this? Should I prepare anything specific to deal with him after he wakes up?

Break Fast
Mar 27, 2012

Plus_Infinity posted:

When Orbit got neutered he was just really out of it for a day until the medication and everything wore off, and then he was pretty much normal- just not as bouncy as usual. Some dogs get more snuggly and some need more space. Sometimes they'll get a little more nippy if they're in pain. I'm sure you can read his body language and you'll be able to tell what kind of mood he's in.

Because they're taking out a tooth, maybe have soft treats and/or food available for him. Maybe some ice in the water bowl.

Thanks. I will make sure I get a bunch of his favorite foods that aren't hard as a rock.

I was filming Guinness sleeping earlier today, because I wanted to catch him dreaming about running so he tries to run while sleeping. This is what I got. 20 minutes of footage of him derping. :)

Break Fast
Mar 27, 2012

olaf2022 posted:

And here's a video of him howling at a siren noise:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdFG3HVgDcM
That.
Howl.
Is.
So.
Adooooooooorable.

I've tried to play piano from time to time to see if Guinness would sing along to no success for a while.
It's kind of a dilemma to be honest - howling is so sweet at first, but he catches on to it, it might be the worst thing ever to have him howl through the night. o.o

Break Fast
Mar 27, 2012
Went to the sea for the first time with Guinness. It was the first time he saw that much water, waves and sand. Needless to say he was soooo excited as well as very confused the first time he jumped into water deeper than a puddle.

Thought I would share a couple of pictures.

Tasting a bit of sand and salty water.

Yep, feels good man.

Hugo showing Guinness how to jump high. G does not care for lunacy like that.

Bonus. Spotted a mini-mini-mini-derp. Couldn't resist.
http://i.imgur.com/eKEyK.jpg

Break Fast
Mar 27, 2012

RurouNNy posted:

I discovered last month that Corra loves herding around a basketball, but it was a little big for her. My husband bought her a mini basketball the other day and she friggin' loves it! Highly recommend it, she pretty much just runs in circles with it on her own and does little yips at it :3:

Hmm, I actually have a football (soccer if you will) ball in a sicze for children, approximately the same diameter as the one Corra has. It's been gathering dust for quite some time now.

If it doesn't rain today, I might try to get it out to the park.

p.s. - always love the expression Corra has in the 2nd picture. Looks so dumb and cute at the same time. :3:

Break Fast
Mar 27, 2012
Speaking of sleeping. Where does your fluffy friend sleep through the night?
His designated little bed? Near you in the bed? Or anywhere else special?

Guinness sleeps whereever there's something to act like a roof above him - under the bed, desk, chairs, anywhere. Every morning at about 6am he wakes us up, we take him in bed (since he can't jump in it yet) and sleep for another 2 hours before going for a morning walk. He loves the bed.

Break Fast
Mar 27, 2012
Hey guys. It's been a while since I have posted here. Been very busy at my placement, thus the only free time I had was devoted to my fluffy friend.

It's summer now though and I have a question about some corgilicious swimming activities.

I have not visited the nearby lake often this summer so far, but the two times we went, Guinness would not swim. (which is very expectable of course)
What were your tricks to teach your friend swimming?
I tried various technique ranging from running in and out of the water myself to taking a ball and dropping it increasingly further into water.

Also, are lifevests a definite necessity for Corgis since their large weight for their body dimmensions?

Guess I should somewhat recent (a month ago) picture of my Cardigan flufffluff. :)
[IMG][/IMG]

Break Fast
Mar 27, 2012
If you ever miss puppy Orbit again, I can post Guinness' pictures anytime. He's still a pup and almost a copy to what Orbit looks like.

How old is he now?

Break Fast
Mar 27, 2012
If I were to guess, every poster in this thread has came into contact with couch looking like that.
He's beautiful. :)

Break Fast
Mar 27, 2012

Cardigan powah!
Peeking through my pictures folder of G has reminded me how I have been slacking on taking pictures of him throughout the summer. I'll most definitely regret it later on.

Guess I know what I'm doing tomorrow at the park. :)

Break Fast
Mar 27, 2012
Oh, the basic training classes.
I'm going through literally hell right now.

The problem I have right now, according to our trainer, is to keep Guinness' attention on me. He executes my commands, when I manage to grab his attention pretty good and learns them quickly, but he's CONSTANTLY trying to get to other dogs, whether to play with them or to bark like mad at bigger dogs he's afraid of.

I know it takes time. It's been only 3.5 times thus far I have went there, but hell if it's not hard. Barking, gasping, his eyes get red after 30 minutes, he ignores treats after 1h30mins... He's having everything, but a good time.

Sorry for rambling.

Break Fast
Mar 27, 2012

a life less posted:

It sounds like you may benefit more from private lessons to lay the groundwork before you move on to group lessons. How long are your classes? 1hr 30 mins is a HUUUUGEly long class for a dog -- perhaps I'm misunderstanding you?

Why are other dogs more exciting than you? Are you not as fun and engaging as other dogs? What might you be able to do to start upping your value to your dog? Better, more varied treats? More exciting tone of voice? Rewarding with play? Can your instructor set up some sort of barrier between him and the other dogs so he's not able to stare at anyone? Can you add distance? Can you work in a corner? In another room?

Consider having him give you attention before he gets anything he wants. Don't ask for it (THIS IS IMPORTANT) - just wait him out and let him see that the quickest way for him to get something he wants is to look to you. Work slowly, especially to start.

It sounds like you should probably be offering reinforcement roughly once per second for good behaviour - most beginners do not reward often enough. Are you rewarding him when he's quietly sitting beside you? Or do you ignore him for the most part and only react when he's lunging, barking, and pulling away? I see loads of our clients forget to reward the dog when it's being good it's so easy to ignore.
Yeah. At first it was 1 hour session. Now it's 2 hours with 10 minute pause in the middle.

I might try using different kind of treats next Tuesday. But as far as myself, I used to make a total fool of myself, which I don't mind, doing silly voices and sounds to get his attention. It worked fine in the beginning, but I guess it became boring after a while.
The way the place is set up is a blank room with a mirror on one side. Dog owners with their dogs move around in a circle and do variety of stuff (stop/sit/sleep/etc). He really enjoys running beside me, so it's fine when we are moving about, but once we stop and do exercises while standing in a line it starts to become hard.
I have tried going to the corner and standing in front of him, thus blocking the view to bigger dogs, which works somewhat effectively, but I cannot really do it forever.

Last time I went I felt like I'm even giving too much treats to him.
Let's say for a command sleep, which is like sitting, but with the belly on ground. (I honestly don't know the English terms for this).
At first I have to get his attention by using a treat - showing it to him.
Then I move it slightly over his head, as if he had to back up to get it.
Once he starts to make a motion to sit, I say sit and give him a piece of a treat. And another one.
Then I show another one almost on the ground in front of him, to make him have to reach for it, thus making him sit down/"sleep". He gets that, I give him another one and another one for being a good boy.
Then after 5 seconds I give one or two more.

That's about 7-10 pieces for each exercise.
Note: I might have glanced over some details of how I'm taught to do it, but that's not the point this time.

I really dislike the fact that it's 2 hours now. Guinness looses his attention after first over and I myself get more and more annoyed, thus making it harder for both of us.

Thing is, even though the trainer lady only speaks Russian and I understand about 3 words in a sentence, it's considered a good place and is on a good timetable for me.
I considered a private trainer at one point, but they are quite hard to come by here and if you manage to find one, they charge a fortune.

I really hope I'm doing what's best for the little guy and not just torturing him by going there. Hopefully it gets easier on both of us, although if I think about it, I couldn't care less for my state of mind as long as he's happy.

Break Fast
Mar 27, 2012
Just woke up and glanced over the responses to my problem.
I have to go on a 4 hour trip in a minute, but I just wanted to say that I really, really, really, REALLY appreciate the input you guys are giving me.

I will go through all of them on the way and post afterwards. Thank you a lot.
Just wanted to post this so it doesn't look like I'm ignoring the response or something.

Break Fast
Mar 27, 2012
Back from the trip, unfortunately w/o the little guy.
Nevertheless I made an appointment to different dog trainer for private session next week. He works with police dogs on day to day basis, so if I had to guess, he should be good.

Gonna take your advises into account when going there next week regarding the amount of treats and other stuff.

Onto more fun stuff, I took some pictures today just as I returned home and went to park with him.

- Alright Guinness. Haven't taken any pictures of your hawt rear end in a while, let's do something serious and mature.
- Ooookeeeyyyyy. *bwraaaarghh* *shrbuuuurllll*

- Dog, seriously! The faster we do this, the sooner we can run in circles and stuff.
- Fine. Somewhere along lines of this?

- Yes, good, I can work with this.
- Something dreamy? Serious thinking mode maybe?

- Great, good boy!
- Lalala-lala-lalaaa!

- *sigh*
- OH LOOK, BIRDIESSS!!!

Break Fast
Mar 27, 2012
I honestly cannot give a proper advice in this, since I'm new to dog ownership and all this stuff, but I just wanted to say that Tycho is looks soooooo handsome.

I'm guessing he's a mix, right? What kind? :)

Break Fast
Mar 27, 2012
I'm actually surprised how Guinness still has one judging by how often he tries to murder it!

Also, am I wrong to assume there are a lot more Pembrokes in states? It just seems that vast majority of videos on youtube taken in NA feature Pembrokes.

Break Fast fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Aug 21, 2012

Break Fast
Mar 27, 2012
Even though I'm really sorry for the little guy, I can't help but think he looks little silly and adorable. :)

Guinness had similar, but noticeably smaller one after a mosquito was "chilling" on his nose for a minute.

Break Fast
Mar 27, 2012
Today was one of the last warm days this year down here. Went ahead and brought a camera to doggy park.
Nothing funny or anything (aside from the beautiful, beautiful droooool (i'm a terrible person)), just a simple video of Cardigan boy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJF7w_UShUc&hd=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Break Fast
Mar 27, 2012
Guinness' 1st birthday is less than a month away and I'm already planning a little bit of some fun for him that day along with a couple of presents here and there.

Thought it would be nice to hear from fellow Corgi addicts how you have spent your little friend's special day. Anyone with a story to share? :)

• Locked thread