Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I know this was a few months back but I was able to find a breeder that let me keep the tail. My girlfriend thinks that the docked tails look like amputee stumps and they gross her out so she said we had to have a tail (I think both ways look fine). Most of the breeders near me require you to put a deposit on them right after they are born (not exactly require but the whole litter is usually claimed within a week after birth either way, so put a deposit on one or get nothing).

I found one breeder that had a "championship litter" which she refused to dock the tail on, but she said she would let us keep the tail if we put a full price deposit on one.

Another breeder required half price instead of the usual $100.

The one I ended up going with just let me do $100 because she said "I'll be able to sell it either way, tail or no tail, but I won't refund the deposit up to the six-week mark like I would with a docked tail".

I got a tri-color Pembroke. I was initially not too into the tri thing but as I looked at more photos I started to like that look a lot more. I generally thought of corgis as brown and white, but the main thing that appeals to me is their shape and personality. The white, black, and brown combination can look really cool... I'm just hoping mine gets a decent amount of brown in (the brown doesn't show until they are 7 weeks or so, I have a picture of it at like 4 days old so you can't tell so far).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Aannndd the breeder forgot I said to not cut the tail off and cut it off. Have to wait for a new litter now.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Just got a puppy this weekend who is 9 weeks old now. His name is Niuniu (牛牛).

He is a tri-colored welsh corgi we got from a breeder. We had them keep the tail on, though you can only sort of see it in this photo.

He is pretty awesome and I had a quick question about how much he should run. When I walk him I like to have him run to get some exercise. He also seems to really enjoy running. I stop when he seems tired and don't run for more than a minute at a time, but I want to know if that's safe for his joints etc. or if I should stick to walking for now?

angel opportunity fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Oct 30, 2012

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

I talked to a few different breeders and two out of three were huge jerks about it. One said something like "Well.. I suppose if you give me the full price for the deposit I will consider it... but not any of my prize breeds, those will keep the tail".

The one I ended up buying from essentially said "Yeah I have some of my own with tails too, if they are sick when it's time to take the tails off I just leave them on. I can keep the tail for you, even if you end up not buying it someone else will anyway". She just charged me the regular deposit and everything.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Here is my favorite picture of me and my Corgi so far:

Here is a video of him playing with other dogs:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151274994057827&l=8361685653021076192

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

What is the best way to teach a corgi the "bring it back" half of the game?

Mine is super into chasing anything I throw and I feel like if he would figure out to bring it back then he would be into it. I can almost never get him to do it to even reward it when he does. He just blitzes toward whatever I throw, tags it with his nose, looks back at me like "Yeah, I did it," and then wanders off and does something else.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

We tried to get our corgi to howl by howling at him. He just looks at us really scared and then barks at us :(

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

My corgi suddenly got very lethargic and seemed in pain. We took him to the emergency clinic last night and they think he might have an inflammatory disease or an infection in his spinal fluids. They showed us how he wasn't blinking on reaction on one side of his face and some other neurological symptoms. He looked really bad last night but he's much better today.

They said he needs to get an MRI (which costs $1,500) and that usually this is treated with steroids. Does anyone have any experience with something like this or know someone who does?

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Took my corgi to the beach today. It was his first time swimming and absolutely hilarious looking. His eyes just bulged out as if he were in disbelief that he could swim. He seemed really afraid at first but then he kept going back into the water to swim around for fun.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

I got my puppy from a real breeder for $500.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

I live in Florida and I feel like the cost is way lower here. I called around to several breeders and the only ones that broke the $1,000 mark were for "CHAMPIONSHIP DOGS" or whatever the gently caress she called them. She refused to leave the tail on those etc. Most breeders are called were like $500-$750.

In case anyone is curious I got from here: http://www.thecorgilady.com/ (It might have been $550 I can't remember the exact number).

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

I visited her place and was happy that she treated the dogs really well and had a nice place for them. The puppies had a lot of space to play and the adults all seemed really happy. I liked that she was totally cool with keeping the tail on ours; a lot of breeders were extremely snoody about this and it put me off. The dog we got had papers with his family tree etc. The one I got wasn't crossbred or anything (I agree those look weird as hell).

I am not an expert at all, and her being mediocre is likely true. I hope that doesn't mean my dog is more likely to have health problems, but I was really quite put off by how snoody other breeders were being about keeping the tail. I had people saying, "That will reflect poorly on me as a breeder" etc.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

This is FL only but good if you want to adopt a corgi:

http://www.sunshinecorgirescue.org/

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Thanks for the information guys. I hope my dog which I got from thecorgilady lives to be nice and healthy, but next time I will look out more in the future when choosing a breeder.

It seems especially important because the $400 I saved on the initial purchase means more or less nothing compared to the lifetime cost of having a dog.

One thing that is kind of odd to me with all of this is how often people get dogs from rescues or shelters and know NOTHING about where the dogs came from, often not even knowing what type of mix it is. No one ever seems to say this is a bad thing, but for some reason a breeder that isn't as responsible is viewed as a really terrible thing.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Niuniu reacting to a lime. Vine for better quality: https://vine.co/v/heiWjIPJrvl

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

I think I just made the connection that you are "corbin and guiness the corgi" on Vine, right? Your vines are great!

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

My corgi loving LOVES the laser, it's his absolute favorite thing in the world. If I even say the world "laser" he starts freaking out and goes ballistic. He loves chasing it back and forth and doesn't give a poo poo that he can't catch it. He knows it's coming out of the thing I hold in my hand, because if I stop doing it he claws at the laser pointer itself, and he sometimes looks at my hand if he can't find the red dot.

When I'm done moving it around for him I let him bite at it and say "Good boy!" and pretend like he caught it, then I give him a hug and pet him a lot and he gets super happy and excited about it.

• Locked thread