Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«1342 »
fluppet
Feb 10, 2009

I've spent all day running round the building re-adding the networked printers to out student machines. There doesn't seem to be any pattern to it apart it being guaranteed to happen as soon as I put the kettle on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

The ACH phishing scam people must have upped their game, I've taken 13 calls on them already today, and everyone else at the helpdesk is getting blown up with them too. We've been getting them sporadically for the last 2-3 weeks, but never more than a couple calls a day for the whole helpdesk.

Either that, or our users are finally figuring out that it's a scam after getting them more than once.

Edit: Also, we started our Office 2010 rollout today. If I take one more call from someone who says that their documents and/or contacts are gone because their recently opened lists are empty and Outlook isn't autocompleting the send field with frequently used contacts, I'm gonna scream.

Edit2: At we only rolled 2010 out to IS&T computers. We have a lot of non-tech medical people in our division, but comeon. Hopefully they don't rollout to the medical staff until I'm on paternity leave.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

User: nexus, I tweeted a link to our latest blog post but it doesn't appear in the counter! It's been 5 minutes!
nexus: I'm looking at it now, the counter is 2 and it links to your tweet. Have you tried refreshing or clearing your cache?
User: Oh, that did it, thanks!

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

We used OpenFire at work but then it started crashing every 24 hours. We ended up building and deploying ejabberd on a FreeBSD VM in a weeks time and that has been working a lot better. The power of Erlang

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

CommanderApaul posted:

The ACH phishing scam people must have upped their game, I've taken 13 calls on them already today, and everyone else at the helpdesk is getting blown up with them too. We've been getting them sporadically for the last 2-3 weeks, but never more than a couple calls a day for the whole helpdesk.

I normally see those caught all the time in our spam filter. A few got through ours this morning though. I don't see why I wouldn't click a link for a "self extracting pdf" that leads to a mysterious url shortened website....

I should probably send an email to my idiot users to tell them to not follow said link.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Moey posted:

I normally see those caught all the time in our spam filter. A few got through ours this morning though. I don't see why I wouldn't click a link for a "self extracting pdf" that leads to a mysterious url shortened website....

I should probably send an email to my idiot users to tell them to not follow said link.

I've had about 6 today after a couple of weeks with none. Gotta wonder how they manage it.

TenjouUtena
Mar 31, 2011

CommanderApaul posted:

Edit: Also, we started our Office 2010 rollout today. If I take one more call from someone who says that their documents and/or contacts are gone because their recently opened lists are empty and Outlook isn't autocompleting the send field with frequently used contacts, I'm gonna scream.

If you have Exchange 2010 to match your Outlook 2010 it should upload the nk2 file and keep it on the server.

You know, 2 version too late. Exchange!

OriginalPseudonym
Nov 9, 2009

...and for the longest time I never understood why these people were gone the next day.

Salt Fish posted:

Isn't that technically less secure and more work compared to setting the program to not remember your login credentials?

Probably, technically, but it's always a question of "amount of time you want to invest in security" vs. "amount of time you want to save by saying 'gently caress security'".

I could probably be more secure by encrypting my entire hard drive and having 3 layers of on-boot passwords, but that doesn't mean I want to do that. And I feel safe enough in my browsing habits that I'd be fine with having a PGP-encrypted file with my IM client passwords in it, but I don't feel like having to type in... *counts* 6 account passwords every time I open my laptop, or my network drops, or MSN decides that "Hey gently caress you" and just flat disconnects.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

TenjouUtena posted:

If you have Exchange 2010 to match your Outlook 2010 it should upload the nk2 file and keep it on the server.

You know, 2 version too late. Exchange!

Exchange 2007 SP3.

I drive past a liquor store the size of a small WalMart on my way home.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

many people posted:

messaging system talk

our company uses OCS/Lync with MPLS to get around the need for VPN, which ties in to our VOIP setup (which will also be over MPLS) too. Works so well, our users aren't even aware of the implications of MPLS.

I wish I had known more about just how complicated that poo poo was when they set it up. 99% of that I can't talk about, but I think it's pretty awesome that we did it. That and I've been learning more server admin stuff and have only realized now I should probably go the cisco certs route. Even now, I can't completely wrap my head around just how much must have been involved to get that working.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.

devmd01 posted:

They didn't have the 16yo, settled for the Glenlivet 15. Delicious!

Is that the 15 yr old French Oak Reserve? Tasty as hell. That and Highland Park 12 are my gotos.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Not really a ticket but something that caught me off guard that I thought may be useful knowledge to some of you.

A couple days ago we let a remote employee go. I disabled his account and changed the password like normal. We removed his access to any and all sites and apps that he had access to.

The next day i get an email from HR asking me to make sure that I have turned off his email access. Apparently he was still sending emails out for a couple hours after he was terminated, luckily none of them were malicious.

I turns out that since we upgraded from Exchange 2003 to 2010 earlier this year that Microsoft seems to think that allowing disabled accounts to still send emails is fine. I did some searching and found that this is pretty common and has been happening since Exchange 2007. Here is a link to a Technet forum post describing it.

I am pretty sure my problem arose because either the user was already logged into OWA or his phone,using owa as a connection, was keeping his token alive.

Microsoft's "fix" for this is to reset IIS whenever you disable an account. There are also a couple post explaining how to set a lower default timeout for the UserToken but this will never timeout when a phone checks the connection every 1 minute or so.

Someone else in that thread posted a workaround of "Go to Exchange management console and remove "NT Authority\SELF" from "Management Full Access Permission...", that will disable OWA access right away." This seems to work. It is what I will be doing from now on when disabling someones account that has access to OWA or email on their phone.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

Trastion posted:

Not really a ticket but something that caught me off guard that I thought may be useful knowledge to some of you.

A couple days ago we let a remote employee go. I disabled his account and changed the password like normal. We removed his access to any and all sites and apps that he had access to.

The next day i get an email from HR asking me to make sure that I have turned off his email access. Apparently he was still sending emails out for a couple hours after he was terminated, luckily none of them were malicious.

I turns out that since we upgraded from Exchange 2003 to 2010 earlier this year that Microsoft seems to think that allowing disabled accounts to still send emails is fine. I did some searching and found that this is pretty common and has been happening since Exchange 2007. Here is a link to a Technet forum post describing it.

I am pretty sure my problem arose because either the user was already logged into OWA or his phone,using owa as a connection, was keeping his token alive.

Microsoft's "fix" for this is to reset IIS whenever you disable an account. There are also a couple post explaining how to set a lower default timeout for the UserToken but this will never timeout when a phone checks the connection every 1 minute or so.

Someone else in that thread posted a workaround of "Go to Exchange management console and remove "NT Authority\SELF" from "Management Full Access Permission...", that will disable OWA access right away." This seems to work. It is what I will be doing from now on when disabling someones account that has access to OWA or email on their phone.

This same thing happened to me, except that it was our VP that was fired and was able to grab some excel files from his IPhone. When you disable an account and change the password, Exchange should no longer be able to sync!!

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Dyscrasia posted:

This same thing happened to me, except that it was our VP that was fired and was able to grab some excel files from his IPhone. When you disable an account and change the password, Exchange should no longer be able to sync!!

When I disable someone like that I always set Exchange to wipe the phone. There's no reason people should run around with three months worth of potential harmful email and no reason not to use it maliciously.

Biowarfare
Nov 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT BEING NEXON AMERICA'S ONLY SYSADMIN

Crowley posted:

When I disable someone like that I always set Exchange to wipe the phone. There's no reason people should run around with three months worth of potential harmful email and no reason not to use it maliciously.

You don't live in a country where people will sue you for wiping their dick pictures (and prostitute appointments) off a business provided phone?

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Biowarfare posted:

You don't live in a country where people will sue you for wiping their dick pictures (and prostitute appointments) off a business provided phone?

I'll wipe private phones too. That's a fact people have to accept if they want to connect to our Exchange server.

It's not something I do every time a temp worker leaves. Only when I get the "Get him out NOW!" order.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

Crowley posted:

I would never have let him keep the phone. The President did that as a favor. Wanted him to have his phone numbers and all that, stuff that would have been wiped. He did not want him to continue having email access though.

Of course the president raises cows for fun, and never consults IT when making these kinds of decisions.

TenjouUtena
Mar 31, 2011

Dyscrasia posted:

.... and never consults IT when making these kinds of decisions.

Does any C-level exec ever consult IT in a meaningful way when making any of these decisions?

Cool Matty
Jan 8, 2006
Usuyami no Sekai

TenjouUtena posted:

Does any C-level exec ever consult IT in a meaningful way when making any of these decisions?

Quite often... after they've already made the decision.

taremva
Mar 5, 2009

Is there anyone here who actually like their managers except me? I'm a contractor but I have a fairly good relationship with all my managers, both the ones at my customer and the internal one from the company that pays me.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

taremva posted:

Is there anyone here who actually like their managers except me? I'm a contractor but I have a fairly good relationship with all my managers, both the ones at my customer and the internal one from the company that pays me.

I love my immediate manager. From there, my opinion of my managers is more or less inversely proportional to their height on the organisation chart.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Nurse?

Precisely the same for me. My immediate manager is great. But god help us both when either of the two people above her want anything. Or their kids do.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Cool Matty posted:

Quite often... after they've already made the decision.

Of course, they don't have the keys to unlock the desktop, monitor, docking station, TV and HP Radio Port(!) the board promised the director at my old job he could keep when he retired.

taremva posted:

I like my manager, especially after I told him I wasn't going to ask permission for what I do any more since his schedule is 105% full until some time in 2012. Instead I'll be informing him of what I decide and just ask him for advice or manager-level decisions now and then.. and when I'm going to buy something that isn't a "consumable" (like USB keys, cables, Portable HDDs and such).

Ridge_Runner_5
May 26, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

I work in Denver, my immediate manager is in Dallas, and the one above her is in Virginia.

I like them because I never see them.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Bo Knows Posting

A remote site is down, and I cannot contact the service provider at all. Their phones all go to fast busy, and email is unanswered.

Nice.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

kensei posted:

A remote site is down, and I cannot contact the service provider at all. Their phones all go to fast busy, and email is unanswered.

Nice.

Perhaps it isn't the remote site that's down. DUN DUN DUNNNNNNNNNNNNNN.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Telex posted:

Perhaps it isn't the remote site that's down. DUN DUN DUNNNNNNNNNNNNNN.

It's the rest of the woooorld!

Splashy Gravy
Dec 21, 2004

I HAVE FURY!

I talked to an old lady last week who sounded like Miss Swan. She asked me if the reason her Mac Mail stopped working was because Steve Jobs died.

taremva
Mar 5, 2009

Tickets are coming in; My coworker called in sick so I'm manning the phones alone.

I should still be in training.
I'm a highschool graduate without any certs.
I'm the only guy on the phones in a global company, including production support. About 60000 users total, about 5000 currently building stuff.
If the production stops, it costs 4 months of my salary per minute.
Everything is under control and I browse SA.

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

taremva posted:

Tickets are coming in; My coworker called in sick so I'm manning the phones alone.

I'm the only guy on the phones in a global company, including production support. About 60000 users total, about 5000 currently building stuff.

Give it time, give it time...

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

taremva posted:

Not bashing you, but how is a company that in operation?

taremva
Mar 5, 2009

Moey posted:

Not bashing you, but how is a company that in operation?

Good documentation and hiring people who can follow written instructions.

Edit: to clarify, It's not my job to fix things. I make sure the correct person gets contacted, assign tickets, drag information out of people, call managers/oncall guys etc.
Doing it alone isn't much of an issue: I've had 7 calls in 8 hours so far. I've also been with this customer for over a year and was recently transferred to this position, so while I should be in training I have a fairly good grasp of everything. I also have people with 10+ years here within walking distance if needed.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

taremva posted:

Good documentation and hiring people who can follow written instructions.

Your first post made it seem like you were the only person doing phone support for a 279873509 person company.

taremva
Mar 5, 2009

I am the only person in my country, and techs from other countries call me about specific issues. If anything goes down then I should be in the loop about it.
Right now there's about 5000 people activley working on my site, I'd say maybe a couple thousand more in other cities who calls me, and only me, if they need a new password or if outlook stops working.

I dont mind the pressure and I certainly don't mind the pay that comes with the responsibility.
I'm 21, no certs, highschool graduate with no previous experience save for one year doing first line support for this company. $29 an hour right now, since it's early morning and I make extra then. Averaged out I worked for $26 an hour last month, that's working all kinds of shifts (day/evening/morning/weekends pay differently due to union rules).

Granted, I do pay high taxes on it () but I still make plenty of cash.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

So, a ticket came in, and the ticketing system sent an auto-response...

We've got this silly SLA now where we have to acknowledge receipt of a ticket within two business days of us receiving it. Which basically means the student workers all swarm to send "welp, I got your email" responses, which to me defeats the whole purpose, and if I was on the other end of that I'd wonder why they were wasting time on that poo poo.

Apparently my boss gets all sorts of complaints about our auto-response, because people feel when they get that auto-response that they've sent their message into the void. Now part of this is that everybody is a big loving babby (academia), but part of that I think is that our auto-response is just terrible.

quote:

Greetings,

This is an automatically generated response to:
"<SUBJECT>"

Your request ticket ID is [STAFF #185902].

Please include the string:

[STAFF #185902]

in the subject line of all correspondence regarding this issue.

Thank you,
operator
STAFF

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
And below that is the original message the user sends in. I'd like to add something a bit more personal that would include the fact that a human will look at the ticket.

So what is in your auto response?

Ridge_Runner_5
May 26, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

FISHMANPET posted:

"We know, and we don't care."

random nickname
Oct 10, 2005

Part of a healthy and well-balanced diet.

taremva posted:

This sounds like outsourced IBM Global Services...

Yup, nothing like doing tech support for 4 different companies during the graveyard shift. Caught up on a lot of comics during that period.

underlig
Sep 13, 2007

CommanderApaul posted:

Exchange 2007 SP3.

I drive past a liquor store the size of a small WalMart on my way home.

The whole n2k-thing is a mess, but you do know about n2kedit http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/outlook_nk2_edit.html right? Nirsoft have a buttload of stuff to fix designflaws in Microsoft-products.

As long as the n2k file still exists it should be able to upgrade/merge it into outlook 2010's autocomplete instead.

I wonder who came up with the n2k idea, he'd be fun to have as a paintball-target..

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

FISHMANPET posted:

The technician here rewrote ours last year. It is now quite long.

quote:

Thank you for you email, your work order has been logged as work order number {ID}.

THIS IS AN AUTOMATED RESPONSE; PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE AS THE MAILBOX IS NOT MONITORED.

What happens next?

You case has been logged on our service database and an IT Technician and a priority level will also be assigned to your case and emailed to you.

We try and resolve all cases quicker then our agreed service level however this does depend on the current level of support requests still open and the level of priority given to each case.

(Please see points 1-3 listed below for more details on our agreed service level response times)

1. The resolution time for business critical category support cases is four business hours providing the issue is within
control of the IT department. BT exchange faults are not covered within the response time or any other external
factors such as road works causing data cable breakage.

2. The resolution time for priority category support cases is between two – five business working days. Excluding
requests for consumables or hardware as this is governed by external factors such as supplier’s stock availability
and department budgets

3. The resolution time for non urgent category support cases can be up to five -ten business working days.

Kind Regards

IT Department

Nobody reads it obviously, but it makes us feel better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

This could be too paranoid to be effective, but it's a thought.

See, stuff like that make me confident in my decision to convert a Jovian moon mine shaft into a survival bunker!

Trastion posted:

So their official answer is a proverbial "Powercycle the machine". That's awesome. Thanks, Microsoft.

taremva posted:

I'm 21, no certs, highschool graduate with no previous experience save for one year doing first line support for this company. $29 an hour right now, since it's early morning and I make extra then. Averaged out I worked for $26 an hour last month, that's working all kinds of shifts (day/evening/morning/weekends pay differently due to union rules).

Granted, I do pay high taxes on it () but I still make plenty of cash.

Well, that's alright then. You're also making double-triple what someone in the US would make for this, very likely.

FISHMANPET posted:

"We're aware of the issue, and we're working on it."

I am in fact doing no such thing.

«1342 »