Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«1342 »
Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

I play too much EVE-Online

Uhh... sales ALWAYS creates the fires. Project Management are the people that discover it and try to fix it, usually in a futile attempt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Родина слышит

I think he was implying that sales is primitive enough to have to discover fire. And then promise to have a fire big enough to burn down a continent that will be ready tomorrow, our IT can easily do that with no budget.

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

I play too much EVE-Online

Ensign Expendable posted:

I think he was implying that sales is primitive enough to have to discover fire. And then promise to have a fire big enough to burn down a continent that will be ready tomorrow, our IT can easily do that with no budget.

IT Fire V2.0! Now with smoke signalling!

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

I can do sex. It's just alien sex.

couldcareless posted:

[domain]\[username]

This brings up an AD question for me. The answer may be "read more books, you lazy goon," which I'd accept.

My server has been behaving well lately (skipped the Dell fakeRAID and just running the drives AHCI to softRAID, not a problem in sight), so I started a Domain and joined my laptop and desktop to it.

Desktop is BrideOfDesktop (aside: naming scheme went Desktop, ElectricBoogaloo, DeskHarder)
Laptop is DrinkPad
Server is running the Factory domain

Even though I've joined both client PCs to the Domain, I've apparently got three user accounts running: BrideOfDesktop\Factory, DrinkPad\Factory, and Factory\Factory. They all have the same password, and when I access fileshares, DrinkPad\Factory (for example) will decrypt files and inherit permissions as if it were Factory\Factory. But it's very clearly a different account, as when I log onto either client machine as Factory\Factory, I'm presented with a fresh desktop, which is a royal pain.

So, the question is: Can I easily migrate the local accounts to Domain accounts with local profiles?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004
The Benefactor

Goon Matchmaker posted:

IT Fire V2.0! Now with smoke signalling!

IT Fire 2.0 is an early alpha, uses a proprietary and until-this-point unknown signaling system, requires an active volcano to start, and only works on a Sparc box from 1992. User experience may vary.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Ensign Expendable posted:

Back when I was a sales engineer, it'd go down like this:

quote:

We have a meeting with Homo Erectus in Africa in two days. They are looking for the ability to plant and harvest grain. What I need for you to do is to show them how to use fire to do this. If we can make this happen, we have all of Africa as our customer, and we'll be the dominant player in agriculture. Otherwise we'll lose the sale to John Deere.

In other content news, I learned something important today. Apparently it's my problem if AT&T's 4g network is lovely, which makes a customer's app not work. I've been asked to "investigate methods to make this work to the customer's satisfaction."

This'll be fun.

Wonder_Bread
Dec 21, 2006
Fresh Baked Goodness!

Factory Factory posted:

This brings up an AD question for me. The answer may be "read more books, you lazy goon," which I'd accept.

My server has been behaving well lately (skipped the Dell fakeRAID and just running the drives AHCI to softRAID, not a problem in sight), so I started a Domain and joined my laptop and desktop to it.

Desktop is BrideOfDesktop (aside: naming scheme went Desktop, ElectricBoogaloo, DeskHarder)
Laptop is DrinkPad

Even though I've joined both client PCs to the Domain, I've apparently got three user accounts running: BrideOfDesktop\Factory, DrinkPad\Factory, and Factory\Factory. They all have the same password, and when I access fileshares, DrinkPad\Factory (for example) will decrypt files and inherit permissions as if it were Factory\Factory. But it's very clearly a different account, as when I log onto either client machine as Factory\Factory, I'm presented with a fresh desktop, which is a royal pain.

So, the question is: Can I easily migrate the local accounts to Domain accounts with local profiles?

BrideOfDesktop\Factory and DrinkPad\Factory are local computer accounts, which can do whatever they have permissions to do on the local machine. Factory\Factory is your domain account. All three are essentially completely unrelated. AFAIK you can't migrate a local account to a domain account, but I've never looked into it.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Factory Factory posted:

Laptop is DrinkPad

No, you can't. However what you can do is create a mapped share to hold a roaming profile. Open ADDS and link your domain profile to the RP share folder, log on and populate a desktop, then log on as local admin for those machines and copy your relevant user data to it's respective folders on the domain account.

Then just stop using the local accounts. Your profile will be the same whereever you log on as long as you use Factory\Factory.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

This could be too paranoid to be effective, but it's a thought.

See, stuff like that make me confident in my decision to convert a Jovian moon mine shaft into a survival bunker!

nitrogen posted:

Back when I was a sales engineer, it'd go down like this:

In other content news, I learned something important today. Apparently it's my problem if AT&T's 4g network is lovely, which makes a customer's app not work. I've been asked to "investigate methods to make this work to the customer's satisfaction."

This'll be fun.

Provide them with a Verizon LTE dongle and explain how to set up wifi tethering.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

Digital_Jesus posted:

No, you can't. However what you can do is create a mapped share to hold a roaming profile. Open ADDS and link your domain profile to the RP share folder, log on and populate a desktop, then log on as local admin for those machines and copy your relevant user data to it's respective folders on the domain account.

Then just stop using the local accounts. Your profile will be the same whereever you log on as long as you use Factory\Factory.

Yeah, I know that's what I'd have to do if I wanted to put effort into it. But it's also complicated by the fact that the desktop and laptop don't have all programs and settings in common, and I wouldn't want to use a roaming profile for my account because of that.

I think I've found the idiot's answer: add Factory\Factory to local admin, then use Windows 7's Easy Transfer wizard to export the local user and re-import it.

All of our power use and we neglect the tools Microsoft laboriously created to help the average user do these tasks.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Factory Factory posted:

Yeah, I know that's what I'd have to do if I wanted to put effort into it. But it's also complicated by the fact that the desktop and laptop don't have all programs and settings in common, and I wouldn't want to use a roaming profile for my account because of that.

I think I've found the idiot's answer: add Factory\Factory to local admin, then use Windows 7's Easy Transfer wizard to export the local user and re-import it.

All of our power use and we neglect the tools Microsoft laboriously created to help the average user do these tasks.

Why would you care what's installed on the local machine with a roaming profile. That's the whole point of a roaming profile. Take your documents and other "I want this on every machine" files everywhere you go, and have things like games on the desktop, movies on the laptop, etc all with their local credentials and settings stored.

You're not going to bork up local program settings with an rp unless you do something really dumb.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

Because I don't need two gigs of savegames from My Documents syncing back and forth with a laptop that will never have those games installed and has a rather small SSD. Ditto for 100 GB of music in my iTunes library. All the documents I care about are in a mapped drive with an Offline cache.

E: I'll be jiggered, the Easy Transfer worked. I had to manually copy the whole AppData directory, re-run the Chrome installer and re-configure a couple tools and my UltraNav settings, but Factory\Factory is now set up pretty much identically to DrinkPad\Factory on the laptop. Chrome even saved my session.

I'm not doing that again for the desktop, though. There's a lot more little fiddly programs to break.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

blackmanjew posted:

I forgot to add this verbal ticket came in from the guy who signs my checks.

"signs my checks" as a metaphor for the CEO, VP of Something Important or the Manager of Your Department?

I give zero fucks for the SVP of Finance at my job. He can deal with policy just like everyone else. He signs a check, big loving deal. The CEO wants local admin on his machine? Cool, ask my boss to make me do it and I'll do it but I am not the guy who makes decisions.

Unless this person is literally your direct supervisor, this is an issue for your direct supervisor and then potentially his supervisor and up to the CTO if you have one. I fully advocate any and every opportunity to push responsibility for poor decisions onto people who have the political clout to fight them or authorize them based on their non-lackey standing in a company.

And of course if said home machine Ubuntu guy is actually your literal direct supervisor, I would try to get out before something horrible happens at that job. If even the people in the technology department are bringing in their own machines because company machines are either too slow OR too filled with invasive programs... that's a red flag isn't it?

The real secret though is to have a VPN for things like this. Solves a lot of these issues.

Lynxifer
Jan 2, 2005
Comedy "Buttsecks" Option

You know, the lack of incompetence is not evidence of absence. Just because I've been enjoying a distinct lack of it, doesn't mean to say that I'm in my own pod:

Someone who walks onto the Helpdesk posted:

Hey guys, I need some accounts created for a few people to get on the guest wireless, can you do that?

Me posted:

Sure, just pop a ticket in with their full names, email addresses and company name and I can do that!

The Ticket posted:

Need internet Access for auditors please. Thank you.

This from the same user I asked over the phone to go to a website which I spelled out, pasted through communicator and gave clear instructions nonetheless, told me; "eh no, you come down and do it".

Nearly Christmas, nearly Christmas...

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Lynxifer posted:

You know, the lack of incompetence is not evidence of absence. Just because I've been enjoying a distinct lack of it, doesn't mean to say that I'm in my own pod:

This from the same user I asked over the phone to go to a website which I spelled out, pasted through communicator and gave clear instructions nonetheless, told me; "eh no, you come down and do it".

Nearly Christmas, nearly Christmas...

"Eh, no, the access obviously isn't important enough for you to do a simple task."

Ticket Closed.

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010

Recently IT is changing the IP address on some of our test servers because they were running out on whatever subnet. One of the other engineers here didn't take it so well.

- IT
- Panicing engineer

(server) is back up.
With the original IP?
No, with the new one I notified everyone about in the email.
Iíll be so happy when Obama is no longer President and these things no longer happen.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Lysandus posted:

Iíll be so happy when Obama is no longer President and these things no longer happen.

What in the gently caress?

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Edited

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

juggalol posted:

That reminds me of a good one we got recently.

Give a developer sudo access on a Solaris box we'd set up for them. Developer manages to wipe out all of /usr/bin/local with said sudo access, removing the 'sudo' executable entirely.

Ticket came in: "Can I please have root access on $solaris-box"?

(No. No, you can't)

We use sudo on our AIX boxes. Has saved us a lot of headaches, particularly with Oracle installs, etc.

But we're extremely restrictive on it. Our /etc/sudoers file is massive and dictates very specific groups, servers, and commands (to stop situations like the one you noted). We also get emailed when someone tries to execute something that's not on the list, including the username and any arguments they pass.

That still doesn't stop people from attempting to do things like:
code:
sudo /bin/ksh
or
code:
sudo su -
or
code:
sudo cat /etc/users
With the last one, I'm still trying to figure out exactly what he was trying to accomplish. If he's trying to find someone on the box, it would be a lot easier to do:
code:
lsuser <username>
That will tell them if the user exists on the box and a few limited details (for non-root).

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

edit: I can't read.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

nitrogen posted:

edit: I can't read.

User spotted.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

AlexDeGruven posted:

We also get emailed when someone tries to execute something that's not on the list, including the username and any arguments they pass.

Same here, including pwd. We got one from one of the student computers, he was deep in the bowels of the gnome source tree (for god knows why) and ran
code:
sudo Just put a god drat bullet in my head already.
My coworker has that one saved.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Your post is bad and you should feel bad.

Digital_Jesus posted:

User spotted.

Ice cold.

Is it possible to have a domain computer fail over(with the same credentials) to another domain that the first domain has a one way trust to automatically if the first domain is not responding?

JazzmasterCurious
May 20, 2006
Few people know the living legend JazzmasterCurious.

To beat it into the heads of users the meaning of an Urgent (Priority 1) ticket (the servers are on fire/drowning/stolen), every time such a ticket is entered into the system everyone that has anything to do with disaster control should be robo-called instantly. Which usually means the support team, IT ops, finance, CEO and eventual spokespeople.

In addition, the lights in cubicle farms should be dimmed, red lights should be turned on, and a loud voice should blurt out: "ATTENTION! The infrastructure to support our business is non-functional due to $TICKET_BODY"

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010

HalloKitty posted:

What in the gently caress?

It's Obama's fault the subnet ran out of IPs.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

JazzmasterCurious posted:

In addition, the lights in cubicle farms should be dimmed, red lights should be turned on, and a loud voice should blurt out: "ATTENTION! The infrastructure to support our business is non-functional due to $TICKET_BODY"

RED ALERT. SOMEONE IN SALES CAN'T FIND EXCEL IN THE START MENU

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

WHERE'S MAH LOLCATS?!

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Windows Start Menu to IT Workers:

Windows Start Menu to End Users:

Jelmylicious
Dec 6, 2007
Buy Dr. Quack's miracle juice! Now with patented H-twenty!

Lysandus posted:

It's Obama's fault the subnet ran out of IPs.

Yeah, the government control on the boundaries of subnets is just too strict. We need less government! (Or alternatively, Obama should have pushed for faster IPv6 adoption, we would not have this subnet problem then! Need more Government!)

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Things that don't annoy me:
Credit Union Central is having problems, so online banking is up and down like an Alzheimer's patient on an elevator.
This leaves me with a perfect opportunity to reboot and apply updates and hardware changes to my production environment without having to notify any end users or make an "Interruption Request"

"No no, it's Central, they're having problems" Ha. Best excuse ever.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

See, stuff like that make me confident in my decision to convert a Jovian moon mine shaft into a survival bunker!

JazzmasterCurious posted:

To beat it into the heads of users the meaning of an Urgent (Priority 1) ticket (the servers are on fire/drowning/stolen), every time such a ticket is entered into the system everyone that has anything to do with disaster control should be robo-called instantly. Which usually means the support team, IT ops, finance, CEO and eventual spokespeople.

Simpler might be a little CSS/JS confirmation dialog that says "The CEO/COO/CIO will be directly copied on this ticket, are you absolutely sure you want to submit this as priority 1?" with the "OK" button grayed out for 10 seconds.

When they do it anyway, you have a reason to get them fired or at least ding their department $10k.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Digital_Jesus posted:

Own't.

To be fair, I feel kind of bad for people like that. There's a decent chance they're telling the truth and they did ask their manager and got told it was fine. It's not your fault so I wouldn't feel too guilty, but I do have sympathy for users who get hosed over by their incompetent management just the same as we do.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Scikar posted:

To be fair, I feel kind of bad for people like that. There's a decent chance they're telling the truth and they did ask their manager and got told it was fine. It's not your fault so I wouldn't feel too guilty, but I do have sympathy for users who get hosed over by their incompetent management just the same as we do.

While this is true, it's also true that in 2011 they could have bought a USB stick -- that would have easily contained their personal documents -- for a vanishingly small price. Especially if it was that important!

I agree that management probably did tell them it was OK, just trying to get rid of them, not paying any attention. Of course, then IT gets in trouble. But that's a common scenario.

TenjouUtena
Mar 31, 2011

Scikar posted:

As long as we're on the 'fairness' wagon; 'You can keep personal documents on your desktop.' is a long stretch from 'IT will be responsible for the integrity of all your information on your notebook without prompting.' And doesn't really excuse, 'I don't have tell IT about something I'm doing which is non standard which is very important to me.'

Of course, our show is full of special snowflakes, so we copy the profile every time we redeploy equipment.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

My dick is fine. Thanks for asking.

It's not often I get to say this but I saw something new today. I set a Win 7 64 user up to print to an HP 2035n and anything you sent to it would print out infinite copies, even the test page.

A quick google and I found the fix was to switch it from RAW to LPR and turn byte counting on.

I've been working on printers since some of you were babies and never had to do this. Thank you, google!

Aryan Jesus
Sep 18, 2010

1 guy, 4 cups.
Eat that.

Lysandus posted:

Recently IT is changing the IP address on some of our test servers because they were running out on whatever subnet. One of the other engineers here didn't take it so well.

Non American here but didn't Obama run on a Hope and Change IP Address platform?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Dick Trauma posted:

It's not often I get to say this but I saw something new today. I set a Win 7 64 user up to print to an HP 2035n and anything you sent to it would print out infinite copies, even the test page.

A quick google and I found the fix was to switch it from RAW to LPR and turn byte counting on.

I've been working on printers since some of you were babies and never had to do this. Thank you, google!

I ran into this exact same issues with a 2035n awhile back on our RDS farm. I think I ended up giving up and just had the users redirect it from their local machine. I'll note this fix if it ever comes up again.

Actually I think I had used the HP 5 driver. I'm always surprised how often that thing works.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Dick Trauma posted:

We have Kip plotters that run some version of Windows XP (not CE) as the OS that require LPR to be turned on and some other settings I've never seen before. No other plotter we have requires this so I don't get why the Kip plotters have to be special.

blackmanjew
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I

Telex posted:

"signs my checks" as a metaphor for the CEO, VP of Something Important or the Manager of Your Department?

I give zero fucks for the SVP of Finance at my job. He can deal with policy just like everyone else. He signs a check, big loving deal. The CEO wants local admin on his machine? Cool, ask my boss to make me do it and I'll do it but I am not the guy who makes decisions.

Unless this person is literally your direct supervisor, this is an issue for your direct supervisor and then potentially his supervisor and up to the CTO if you have one. I fully advocate any and every opportunity to push responsibility for poor decisions onto people who have the political clout to fight them or authorize them based on their non-lackey standing in a company.

And of course if said home machine Ubuntu guy is actually your literal direct supervisor, I would try to get out before something horrible happens at that job. If even the people in the technology department are bringing in their own machines because company machines are either too slow OR too filled with invasive programs... that's a red flag isn't it?

The real secret though is to have a VPN for things like this. Solves a lot of these issues.

Sorry, "signs my checks" as in "founded the company"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

pseudomonkey posted:

Non American here but didn't Obama run on a Hope and Change IP Address platform?

/y we can

«1342 »