Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

c0burn posted:

Or just set the colour scheme to Windows Default - Extra Large or whatever.

Or tell them to move their head closer to the screen. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

evobatman posted:

You could adjust DPI, that way text and icons are bigger, and the screen is still at native resolution.

That only works with programs that obey the Windows UI whatevers. One of our receptionists has to have everything in 1024x768 on her 19" monitor and 800x600 on her 15" monitor or the switchboard for the phones is "just too small to read".

(Dual monitor setup so they can watch the switchboard and work in Outlook simultaneously)

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Have they considered they might need reading glasses?

potato of destiny
Aug 21, 2005

Yeah, welcome to the club, pal.

duz posted:

Have they considered they might need reading glasses?

"How dare you suggest I need reading glasses! I'm not old dammit!"

Avarcirwen
Mar 7, 2008

Goons: The only group more socially conservative than Mormons.

Crowley posted:

That only works with programs that obey the Windows UI whatevers. One of our receptionists has to have everything in 1024x768 on her 19" monitor and 800x600 on her 15" monitor or the switchboard for the phones is "just too small to read".

(Dual monitor setup so they can watch the switchboard and work in Outlook simultaneously)

I fight this every day, I normally just set their fonts and DPI settings and feign ignorance when they ask if anything else can be done. And before anyone asks, no I don't feel bad about lying to someone who wants to run a 22" widescreen display at 800x600.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Cizzo posted:

(I forgot what he says here because I could give two shits)
As a result, his PC is extremely slow and everyone at the Help Desk could care less as he doesn't let us do jack poo poo on it.

Sorry to go off topic, but please don't do this. It makes it hard to read and doesn't express the point you were probably trying to make (or possibly even gives the exact opposite point). People couldn't give two shits and couldn't care less.

It drives me nuts when my wife says stuff like that, as I then focus on that part, trying to figure out if she just meant to say what she just said, knew what she just said, was saying it just to gently caress with me, how or why she just said it like that, who did she hear say it like that, or what.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Our help desk has frequent issues with punctuation and spelling, and it has gotten to the point where I now correct the tickets sent to me. I'm not saying they have to get Mr. Language Person in their tickets, but having receive spelled correctly in an ticket about email would make me a happy person.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Xenomorph posted:

Sorry to go off topic, but please don't do this. It makes it hard to read and doesn't express the point you were probably trying to make (or possibly even gives the exact opposite point). People couldn't give two shits and couldn't care less.

It drives me nuts when my wife says stuff like that, as I then focus on that part, trying to figure out if she just meant to say what she just said, knew what she just said, was saying it just to gently caress with me, how or why she just said it like that, who did she hear say it like that, or what.
"Could care less" is a grammatically correct English colloquialism per the Oxford English Dictionary. This is used as a textbook example of an English phrase that doesn't change meaning as the result of negation. "Couldn't care less" is a corruption of the original phrasing caused by people forgetting the historical meaning and reasons for the formulation, as frequently happens with colloquialisms.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001

CitizenKain posted:

Our help desk has frequent issues with punctuation and spelling, and it has gotten to the point where I now correct the tickets sent to me. I'm not saying they have to get Mr. Language Person in their tickets, but having receive spelled correctly in an ticket about email would make me a happy person.
That's another problem I often face. Our servers are named in a naming scheme, so mis-typing a number completely invalidates a ticket. For example, 'SERVER36' is very different from 'SERVER37' or 'SERVER46'. A typo in this situation can not only lead to people not fixing your problem, but accidentally destroying someone ELSES work!

TopShelfer
Feb 25, 2007
Me and my deaf girlfriend went out to dinner. All of a sudden all I could hear was "UUUHHHH HHHHUR RRRAA AAAGGGL LLLLLL NGGGG UHHHHRR RRRR" It was awkward and just weird.
Allow me to peruse my "complaints" folder...

quote:

You have the absolute WORST voice mail system I have ever encountered. There is never an option to talk to a person and if you make a mistake the voice just says "Good bye" and hangs up. You need to PROMINENTLY list a number that will connect to a real person instead of expecting people to try to navigate through your webmaze to try to find answers. As currently configured the voice mail system exists solely to create confusion and anger among anyone who tries to use it. Please fix it or delete it entirely because its just a waste of taxpayer money.
The voice mail system the user in question is talking about is not even ours, but a company that does contract work for us.

quote:

web is not connecting.messsage reads "there is a problem with this websites security certificate" connect printer to Laser Jet color printer to laptop.
Kind of all over the place with that one.

quote:

****** has 8 campuses. Starbucks has thousands of stores. Why can I access my home computer from any Starbucks but I cannot access it from any ****** campus? You claim there are security issues? Well FIX THEM ! I don't accept the idea you cannot offer me unrestricted WiFi access from any ****** campus. That's all I need. Just make the WiFi system independent of the ****** system. Tell me why I should not complain to your superiors up the administrative line?
Threatening people is one way to get what you want....

quote:

I am having an extremely difficult time registering. Spring 2009 is supposed to be my last semester here and I am supposed to graduate.

I think I need a degree audit but I can't find anyone who will help me with it AND I NEED TO REGISTER NOW OR I WILL LOSE MY PLACE IN THE HONORS PROGRAM CLASSES'

WHEN I TRIED TO REGISTER ON THE PHONE TODAY, I GOT A RECORDING TELLING ME I WSA NOT AUTHORIZED TO REGISTER. I WENT TO FINANCIAL AID AND THEY TELL ME THAT THEIR RECORDS DO NOT SHOW ANY HOLDS.

I AM ALREADY AFRAID I WILL NOT BE ABLE TO GET IN THE CLASSES I NEED TO TAKE TO GRADUATE!

HELP,PLEASE!

I changed my major from Criminal Justice - COrrections then I changed it to Paralegal Studies but because they were not offering any classes I needed this semester in Paralegal Studies, I had to change back to Criminal Justice -Corrections.

I AM A STUDENT WHO IS REGISTERED WITH THE OFFICE FOR STUDENTS WITH DISABILITIES AND I HAVE CERTIFIABLE DISABILITY AND WHEN I WENT IN TO GET SOME HELP WITH THIS ISSUE TODAY AT THE RIO GRAND CAMPUS, THEY REFUSED TO HELP ME!

Excuse the caps but I am rather frustrated right now and very afraid that I won't be able to graduate on time before my financial aid runs out.

THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP YOU CAN GIVE ME.

Also, can something PLEASE be done about the ACCESS PROBLEMS with the ******* campus. Because I had to wait for my ride and the campus has to be closed down at 10 p.m., I WAS STUCK OUT IN THE COLD UNTIL 2 am which is when my ride FINALLY ARRIVED! It is also dangerous out there because of the disagreements and drunks that happen in the WhatABurger parking lot across the street and they lock their lobby doors at midnight! IT WAS EXTREMELY FRIGHTENING AND INCONVENIENT FOR ME AS I AM MOBILITY IMPAIRED AND DO NO SEE ERY WELL EITHER!
Speechless....

Edit: also, greetings fellow campus support goons... jesus christ we are the most wretched souls on earth

TopShelfer fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Dec 12, 2008

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

TopShelfer posted:

The voice mail system the user in question is talking about is not even ours, but a company that does contract work for us.

If it's as horrid as he's making it sound, I'd be pretty pissed too.

quote:

restricted wifi

Having tried to meaningfully accomplish anything while stuck behind a firewall that allowed 80, 23, and nothing else, I can sympathize here, though threats are not the greatest way to go.

TopShelfer
Feb 25, 2007
Me and my deaf girlfriend went out to dinner. All of a sudden all I could hear was "UUUHHHH HHHHUR RRRAA AAAGGGL LLLLLL NGGGG UHHHHRR RRRR" It was awkward and just weird.

Javid posted:

If it's as horrid as he's making it sound, I'd be pretty pissed too.

Having tried to meaningfully accomplish anything while stuck behind a firewall that allowed 80, 23, and nothing else, I can sympathize here, though threats are not the greatest way to go.

I agree completely. However, our idiot IT security guys have a hardon for making all experiences with technology at my organization as miserable as possible. Students here are given passwords that expire every month with out warning (sometimes they expire randomly, even after a few seconds). Once they are expired, the procedure for changing them is so complicated that even I don't know how to do it. As you can imaging, we have a lot of angry customers.

We have no power to fix any of these problems, and when we tell the admins about how pissed off their practices make people we are told that "you are paid to answer the phones, if phone calls don't come in you don't have a job". Thats a really good reason to provide a horrible customer experience.

Also, in response to the voice mail guy, I have called the automated phone system which he is speaking of and it only asks you for a language selection before sending you to a representative. Even so, its not even our organization.

We get all the abuse because we are the only ones who post any contact info, so we have to get poo poo on from people who have problems with pretty much every department.

Also, this gem:

quote:

Question: Hi! It's me again! the one who is really angry and hateful towards ******! so this time i tried to answer those questions. well it says my answers were wrong and now it will not allow me to answer anymore questions to log in at all since i have tried and failed so much. i know what city i was born in. i know what the name of my first school was. i know my pet's name and the name of my childhood best friend. unfortunately, ******* does not know jack poo poo about any of these things and i am absolutely loving infuriated by this horrible system. gently caress all of you assholes. i hope you all go to hell and burn there forever for putting this stupid dumbass [new authentication system] plan into action. seriously, i can't possibly be the only student who feels this way. if enough students send you angry emails, will you please stop with the [new authentication system] bullshit? i'd really appreciate it. i want to know who came up with this idea so i can rip them a new rear end in a top hat in person. -******* ****** student number ********!
67 (i am actually a student! i know this to be true, even though [new authentication system] does not believe me. goddamnit you loving assholes. i hate all of you so much. please die, but first change the login system now!)

TopShelfer fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Dec 12, 2008

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

AlexDeGruven posted:

Why does someone without the knowledge of the proper operation of 'rm' even allowed in with root or sudo access?

To contribute:
One of my last HelpDesk calls before I moved to my current position involved an individual that couldn't open an attachment. For whatever reason (I don't deal with our mail system, thankfully), our e-mail client does its virus check quietly. The end result is that an infected file will just simply not open.

:v: = Person
:clint: = Me

:v:: I'm trying to open this attachment, but nothing happens when I double-click on it
:clint:: Hm... Ok. Was the e-mail from inside or outside (the organization)?
:v:: Outside. I don't know who this person is.
:siren: Starts going off in my head immediately
:clint:: So, you don't know the person that sent you this attachment? Our recommendation for these things is to delete them right away because they could be from a virus (this was before EVERY spam/virus came from a spoofed address).
:v:: Well, when I opened it at home (the web client allows you to download it and open it), it popped up a virus warning, but here it just does nothing.
:clint:: Then it's a virus. Just delete the e-mail and empty your trash folder.
:v:: No. I need to open this attachment. I need to know what it is.
:clint:: It's a virus. I just told you that.
:v:: But what if it's something important?
:clint:: It's not. It's a virus. Just delete it. If you somehow managed to get the file to open, you would infect your machine, and cause problems for the entire network (starting my doom-and-gloom mode to try and get them to shut up and go away).
:v:: But I REALLY need to open this.
:clint:: (Now in full-on helpdesk rage mode) Look. By continually attempting to open this attachment, you are intentionally trying to destroy the organization's property. Just delete the e-mail, empty your trash, and be done with it. I guarantee you 100% that the file is a virus itself, or at least infected with one, and you should not continue to try to open it.
:v:: But, but...
:clint:: No buts. Just delete the e-mail. Period.
:v:: I want to talk to your supervisor. I need to know what this message is.
:clint:: It's a virus. His number is xxx-xxxx. He's out of the office today, but he'll be back promptly at 8am tomorrow.

My supervisor at the time was and is now a very good friend, and long-time co-worker. She started calling his office at 7:45 the next morning, and still insisted on being able to open the attachment (I got to hang in the office while he talked to her). The conversation ended with a threat from my supervisor to remove system access (e-mail was not yet considered essential for job function), and referral to HR.

I've never been happier than the moment I hung up the phone from my very last call.

I have a coworker who's the exact same way and we recently had a similar argument over a guy that he hasn't talked to in years sending him a link to a online store complete with broken english and vagueness on what it sells. It ended up the friends facebook account was compromised and the site was made up to exploit browsers, but he didn't figure it all out until it hosed his home machine up. Now he's bothering me on how to fix it.

Phuzion
Jun 30, 2006

LAN Parties 4 Lyfe!
Got this in my inbox today:

quote:

Hey [Phuzion]!

The new reeko printer that u guys put in our dept today is distractng. When it prints papers, it makes a horrible sound for a long time b4 the paper comes out. I have an hp printer at home thats much quieter, could i bring it in and have us use that instead?

Ok, the printer we put in was a Ricoh Aficio 8100. A big beast of a printer for a small office. When I asked this girl to print a test page so I could hear the "horrible noise", she prints the test page and she says "oh my god do you hear that". It was the sound of the printer warming up before printing a page. I asked her what her "quieter printer" was? An HP Photosmart of some sorts. Nevermind the fact that the Aficio does: duplex, tabloid size paper, 45ppm, and holds about 2 reams of paper. She wants to replace a $2000 printer with her lovely little Office Max printer that she probably got for $120. For a department of 15 people that print paperwork pretty much all day. This department goes through a ream of paper in about a day and a half or two days. We would end up spending more on ink for the HP than on the entire Ricoh within a year.

And despite the printer being in clear sight of her cubicle, she is too loving lazy to look at it and see how to spell the brand name.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Alereon posted:

"Could care less" is a grammatically correct English colloquialism per the Oxford English Dictionary. This is used as a textbook example of an English phrase that doesn't change meaning as the result of negation. "Couldn't care less" is a corruption of the original phrasing caused by people forgetting the historical meaning and reasons for the formulation, as frequently happens with colloquialisms.

http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/couldcare.html

"Could care less" doesn't make any sense and/or means the opposite of how someone usually feels when they say it.

I'd like to know how/why you'd think it is the correct way of saying it. It doesn't even make sense.
I like the description of "an ignorant debasement of language" in regards to someone saying "could care less" (source: http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-ico1.htm , which also points out that "couldn't" was the original word, and "could" was the bastardization/corruption of the original word).

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

Xenomorph posted:

"Could care less" doesn't make any sense and/or means the opposite of how someone usually feels when they say it.

I'd like to know how/why you'd think it is the correct way of saying it. It doesn't even make sense.
I like the description of "an ignorant debasement of language" in regards to someone saying "could care less" (source: http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-ico1.htm , which also points out that "couldn't" was the original word, and "could" was the bastardization/corruption of the original word).

When I was a kid my mom always got pissed when I pointed this out to her.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Phuzion posted:

Reeko 8100

I know that printer, the warm up period is excessively long on it (like 5 minutes for the first print in the morning), the user probably doesn't like the fan that accompanies the warm up.

I generally don't recommend them to people unless they are going to be printing constantly, or their print jobs are so big that the improved speed negates the 5 minute warm up time.

If you wanted to gently caress with this user, just send a page to the printer before you wander over to investigate the "fault" then it'll be warmed up and when they demonstrate the fault it will print out quickly and quietly.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Xenomorph posted:

This post has some more details. It's a sarcastic expression, we just don't bother to use a sarcastic tone anymore because the expression is so familiar. Some people just don't get it and "correct" the expression to "couldn't care less." Maybe you shouldn't use it and expect to be understood around inexperienced English speakers, but it's perfectly legitimate among native speakers.

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005
I FOR ONE WELCOME OUR NEW STUPID FUCKING CATCHPHRASE OVERLORDS

Xenomorph posted:

It is an inane argument from either side of the fence, aside from the fact the language is dynamic and what was "correct" yesterday may not be "correct" tomorrow, the whole discussion is way beyond the topic of the discussion at hand. Maybe we can get back to the posts about idiot users creating stupid trouble tickets.

Working for a LARGE isp the tickets I encounter most frequently that betray the ignorance of the users are the ones where a user is complaining that their email to user@randomfuckingcompany.com is bouncing and that it must be a result of some sort of filtering we are obviously doing on their mail. Of course this complaint is immediately followed by a copy of the bounce message which clearly shows that the mail is bouncing because the destination mx server is reporting that the username doesn't exist.

The other common idiocy I encounter is, "My mail is missing and needs to be immediately restored!" Which is invariably a result of the user connecting to their account with a pop3 client set to delete mail from server as it is retrieved. Of course the user will always respond back that they haven't done any such thing. I then go ahead and restore their mail from the last available filesystem snapshot, which is of course followed by the mail immediately being downloaded and deleted again because the user has left their pop3 client running on their home computer which is polling the box every 3 minutes for new mail. And the frosting on this little cake of idiocy is of course the ticket I get the following day where the user complains, "my outlook has 2 copies of every mail now! and my webmail account is still empty! IMMEDIATELY FIX MY OUTLOOK AND RESTORE MY MAIL!."

I'm just glad I don't have to deal with trouble tickets for facilities issues. It doesn't matter how many times you explain to a colocation customer that a 15amp breaker tripping is due to them running more than 15amps worth of gear they will continue to insist that if you just turn their gear back on in a specific order it will "be fine"...

Sock on a Fish
Jul 17, 2004

What if that thing I said?

dfn_doe posted:

It is an inane argument from either side of the fence, aside from the fact the language is dynamic and what was "correct" yesterday may not be "correct" tomorrow, the whole discussion is way beyond the topic of the discussion at hand. Maybe we can get back to the posts about idiot users creating stupid trouble tickets.

It's an inane argument for one side of the fence. "I couldn't care less" tells me that you are at your least possible degree of caring for the thing that we're talking about. "I could care less" tells me that there is some degree of caring that you are capable of that is lower than the degree of caring that you have for the thing that we're talking about.

I'm not going to be like 'hey whatever we all have opinions' just because a substantial portion of English speakers are idiots.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I couldn't care less about this stupid argument. Can we get this thread back on track?

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Sock on a Fish posted:

It's an inane argument for one side of the fence.
Tell me about it!

I should be so lucky as to never hear it again.

Chunky Monkey
Jun 12, 2005
Kill the Gnome!
This ticket came in today... The first thing I thought of was this thread.

code:
What software application is the user having trouble with?: BDSM Porn
What is the issue or error?:
Additional details: User keeps getting this icon on his desktop, he will delete it but it comes back.
uhhhhh.... Someones getting fired.

Verno5x
Aug 23, 2003

CRAFT OR DIE
Looks like us College IT people get all of the fun. I'm a Systems Analyst so I get insulated from most of the tickets, but that doesn't stop people from sending me ones that they can't figure out. These are a couple from this morning that I pulled out of the database:

quote:

Via email:

Hi,
My mailbox is not working.

Assistant Director - Domestic
Office of Admissions
***** College of *****

Yes, this was really a ticket about her work email not working sent in via that same email address.

quote:

Hi Training and Support,

My ****** e-mail has been hijacked by a spammer. I received an e-mail this morning addressed to myself from my .edu address with a web link to various "enhancement" drugs. I would be upset if anyone else received that from "my" address.

Is there anything that can be done about that, short of having to start a new account with a new address?

Thanks,

I know this ticket is going to get to me since I do a lot of work on the mail system, but this is a simple case of a forged header sending a spam message through our filters. I like how he wants to change his address thanks to this though.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

Phuzion posted:

And despite the printer being in clear sight of her cubicle, she is too loving lazy to look at it and see how to spell the brand name.

She's probably smart enough to pick up that its Japanese, so she typed it how she thought it would be in Japanese. Its kind of funny how some people can't grasp how some Japanese companies can have English sounding names. They either try to spell it like they think it would be in Japanese, or think its because they acquired an American company at some point. I've heard some of the stupidest arguments on the origin of Bridgestone and Panasonic's names over the years.

Beary Mancrush
Jun 9, 2002

Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them.

Phuzion posted:

Got this in my inbox today:

There should be a federal law that requires at least one person in each office or department take a class on how to diagnose printer issues. Printers are like the Billy Carter of IT devices.

Midelne
Jun 19, 2002

I shouldn't trust the phones. They're full of gas.

dfn_doe posted:

Working for a LARGE isp the tickets I encounter most frequently that betray the ignorance of the users are the ones where a user is complaining that their email to user@randomfuckingcompany.com is bouncing and that it must be a result of some sort of filtering we are obviously doing on their mail. Of course this complaint is immediately followed by a copy of the bounce message which clearly shows that the mail is bouncing because the destination mx server is reporting that the username doesn't exist.

Our head of Sales was conditioned by our previous administrator to believe that anything IT told her was a lie. This was inconvenient at times.

One such time involved a fairly expensive (for the amount of business this department does) website redesign with some Seattle graphic designers. It advertises the service that the department provides well enough, and has a little form for users to fill out if they want a quote on services since the range of service genuinely is wide enough to preclude putting pregenerated prices on the site. The form sends the data from hosting that we pay for to a script on the graphic design firm's home servers, which then sends it back to our mail server for delivery. I wasn't involved in the design process, don't ask.

Once, no quotes came in for four days. It would be highly abnormal for even a single day to go by without a quote request, so this was cause for concern. We received an email or phone call every hour or so from either the district manager above the Sales department or the head of Sales demanding to know why email was "stuck in our server". When asked, we were told that the design firm had insisted that the problem was email getting stuck, and that the Sales department should demand that the IT department "unstick the email".

I wish I'd been more familiar with Exchange back then -- it's harder to argue with timestamps and delivery logs than with a calm, simple explanation of why SMTP doesn't work that way. The head of Sales will still call every week or two and ask if there's any mail "stuck". I just quietly, gently lay my head on the desk and assure her that there's no inbound email stuck on our server this week either.

And yes, I'm aware that there can be SMTP connection issues and delayed deliveries, but that would still leave the email on their mail server, not mine. :P

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Ryokurin posted:

She's probably smart enough to pick up that its Japanese, so she typed it how she thought it would be in Japanese. Its kind of funny how some people can't grasp how some Japanese companies can have English sounding names. They either try to spell it like they think it would be in Japanese, or think its because they acquired an American company at some point. I've heard some of the stupidest arguments on the origin of Bridgestone and Panasonic's names over the years.

I think we can attribute the spelling to ignorance or laziness and not because she is trying to snub the Japanese.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Verno5x posted:

Looks like us College IT people get all of the fun. I'm a Systems Analyst so I get insulated from most of the tickets, but that doesn't stop people from sending me ones that they can't figure out. These are a couple from this morning that I pulled out of the database:

Yes, this was really a ticket about her work email not working sent in via that same email address.

I know this ticket is going to get to me since I do a lot of work on the mail system, but this is a simple case of a forged header sending a spam message through our filters. I like how he wants to change his address thanks to this though.

We kept getting tickets like that. Every one of the users said their email was hacked, and that someone was sending messages as them.

I don't know if I did more harm than good by showing one of them that they can change their "from" information to anything they want just to show how easy it is for "the bad guys" to do it.

Kraxor
May 7, 2006
You did what for a bag of peanuts?!
I used to work the helpdesk for a fast food chain, I was told it was a computer job, not a fryer/back freezer/malt machine/phone line/anything else but computer job. Some of the gems I had couldn't be topped at any other job I've had.

mgr calls: I have 2 of the same item numbers for spring water
902 for the bottle and 902 for the case
me: 903 is the case number and 902 is for each bottle
mgr: no it's not
me: yeah, it is
mgr: so we can sell those individually and 902 is the number for the bottles?
me: yes and 903 is for the 12 pack
mgr: no it's not.
me: yes it is here (dials into computer and brings up the inventory list) there it is right there 902 is for the bottle and 903 is for the case.
mgr: no it's not, they're both saying 902.
me: no, I'm giving you the correct numbers. I am looking at your computer with the correct numbers and i just found the email that tells me about the spring water
mgr: well the bottles say 902 and the case says 902
me: does the case say 902 or the bottle inside the case say 902.
mgr: the bottle inside the case
me: that's because the bottles are 902.
mgr:(silence) so i have a number for the case AND the bottle?
me: yeah, that's what i've been telling you
mgr: ok........
:downsbravo:
yep.....

Another good one was this
Me:" Thanks for calling the helpdesk this is Kraxor how many I help you"
MGR:" Uh, this is blah blah, what did I call you for?" :silence:
Me:" I dont' know what you called me for"
MGR:" uh what's that thing"
Me:" what thing?"
The call didn't get much better from that point on.

I have had two different actual support jobs and now I'm a net admin for a large company, and get calls escalated to me like these:

"Bobbie called in wanting to talk to Kraxor. asked for her issue and she said that it's regarding the netgear and did not give further details. Checked previous calls and found ticket 5723240. Call closed by Kraxor. advised her that I'll request Kraxor to call her back"
First level support is there for support and basic troubleshooting, don't even try and do your job, I closed the previous ticket because the issue was resolved, not for fun. This is obviously a new issue. I called the user back and the issue magically fixed itself.

We have certain techs that are across the ocean and they apparently like to just make things up as well, which also aggrivates the hell out of me. I was installing some antivirus software on a users machine (which I already had a call for) and I saw a duplicate ticket pop in to our queue. I read it and it says <user> called and says that antivirus software isn't working on any of his machines and needs help immediately. I have the user on the phone so I ask him if he called in and he said yeah, then I told him what the ticket said and he says all he did was ask for my group and then hung up. So they are fabricating stories to make tickets and send them over because they think listening to the users is a bad idea.

This is not the first time something like this has happened.

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

Strong Sauce posted:

I think we can attribute the spelling to ignorance or laziness and not because she is trying to snub the Japanese.

The new Reek-O Scent Printer!

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Strong Sauce posted:

If she was trying to spell it like it might be in Japanese, it would be Rîko (or Riiko) anyway.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Sorry for posting a phonelog, but it's relevant:

:wotwot: (standard intro spiel)
:butt: my internet isn't working?
:wotwot: well, how do you usually connect to the internet?
:butt: I'm using my new laptop on campus but I had it plugged in at home for a while
:wotwot: ok, so the battery is charged, how are you trying to connect?
:butt: I told you, I charged up the internet at home and it's not working

:smith:

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Kraxor posted:

I used to work the helpdesk for a fast food chain, I was told it was a computer job, not a fryer/back freezer/malt machine/phone line/anything else but computer job. Some of the gems I had couldn't be topped at any other job I've had.

POS support was hellish -- I did some in my college days. stores would try to save a buck by putting their terminals on a regular circuit instead of a UPS/ grounded circuit, and inevitably, the fryer/ icemaker/ whatever kicking up would draw enough power to make a terminal crap itself. The terminals were Token Ring, and it was common to have a counter stooge uncap the end off the a BNC for no reason, resulting in every terminal making GBS threads itself, or a cable would get melted because it was in a raceway under a salamander or a steam table or god knows what.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

Lil Bukowski posted:

There should be a federal law that requires at least one person in each office or department take a class on how to diagnose printer issues. Printers are like the Billy Carter of IT devices.

Whoa. Flashback. I worked for a state agency (as a developer) when they got a new load of HP printers for the office areas (as opposed to the huge industrial Xerox ones for batch letter printing). Me and one other person from our office area were the printer fix-it people. We were sent to "very important printer training" that consisted of "read the display, follow the instructions".

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

TopShelfer posted:

Also, this gem:
God drat this is the funniest thing I've seen in this thread. I do network support for students who live on campus at my university, so my scope of duties is already pretty limited and filtered by the main Helpdesk, but still, I've never seen anything nearly as awesome as that, not even when I cross-trained to work at the Helpdesk for a couple of weeks.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

Waffnuffly posted:

God drat this is the funniest thing I've seen in this thread. I do network support for students who live on campus at my university, so my scope of duties is already pretty limited and filtered by the main Helpdesk, but still, I've never seen anything nearly as awesome as that, not even when I cross-trained to work at the Helpdesk for a couple of weeks.

I like "Please die, but first fix it."

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I am so using "Reeko" from now on. That pretty much sums up how I feel about our 2027 and 3025s.

Hoppy
Oct 20, 2004

Who do you think taught him to jump like that?
:cool: Hey, I need the MAC address from the new printer. Can you print the network config page?
:downs: Sure! It says "Add Toner Cartridge"
:cool: Ok... put in the toner cartridge...?
:downs: I didn't get one. Can you send me one?
:mad: It should have came with one, in that white box inside the printer box.
:downs: Oh, I didn't know what that was, I threw it out. I wondered why this thing didn't work right.
:sigh: Well, you can order one on (site).
:bahgawd: I shouldn't have to order one you should have sent me one!
:suicide: It doesn't cost you money, the cartridge is paid for by us...

Of course these are the little throwaway backup units, and their stupid LCD menu can't show the MAC address. Yay for a 5 day wait to get this done.

edit for less annoying emotes, i can't see them at work.

Hoppy fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Dec 12, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Hoppy posted:

:bahgawd: I shouldn't have to order one you should have sent me one!
But you did send them one :psyduck: Or the manufacturer did, anyway.