Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Dravs posted:

The technician here rewrote ours last year.

Track-IT eh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Volmarias posted:

So their official answer is a proverbial "Powercycle the machine". That's awesome. Thanks, Microsoft.

:catstare:

Well, that's alright then. You're also making double-triple what someone in the US would make for this, very likely.

Double what someone in the US would make period. Thats like double our median worker income.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Telex posted:

Perhaps it isn't the remote site that's down. DUN DUN DUNNNNNNNNNNNNNN.

It was the service provider and their upstream both having issues in a perfect storm of crap. It's funny to get responses like this:

quote:

We are currently experience an outage. We are still assassin the cause and remedy. We will update you again by 10 pm.

Because of auto correct on a cellular device. At least they sent us the update!

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
Just had a 50 year old Phd student on the phone who didnt know what a hyphen was :ughh:

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Volmarias posted:

Well, that's alright then. You're also making double-triple what someone in the US would make for this, very likely.

Blech, is this what it is? Is this why we get paid so crappy over here? I thought it was just "IT was underpaid", but never thought it was a "because it is the US" (with rare exceptions).

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
All you guys getting excited over his high wages need to remember that they come with equally high taxes. As in, significantly higher. I imagine he probably does come out ahead when compared to US pay, but not by as much as you think he does.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

rolleyes posted:

All you guys getting excited over his high wages need to remember that they come with equally high taxes. As in, significantly higher. I imagine he probably does come out ahead when compared to US pay, but not by as much as you think he does.

Equal or slightly higher pay plus much greater social services? I'm on board.

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain

Balzac Jones posted:

In a world where we deal with equipment and data worth thousands, if not tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars, I say having furniture that isn't cheap-rear end chipboard nonsense is reasonable.

We have some Anthro stuff that's 20+ years old. Our CIO hates it actually, because it's in such good shape that he can't justify the expense of buying new furniture to replace it, even though he dislikes the utilitarian look and would much rather we all had more conventional desks (read: more of that stupid poo poo with solid backs and no cable pass-throughs)

I have a chipboard desk with a few steel beams that was bought at a Government auction in about 1989, and used for god knows how many years before that.

It is solid as a motherfucking rock, large, flat and comfortable.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

taremva posted:

Is there anyone here who actually like their managers except me? I'm a contractor but I have a fairly good relationship with all my managers, both the ones at my customer and the internal one from the company that pays me.
Yesterday and today, all my boss has asked me to do is "Can you spec out an iPad for each of us and all the accessories we need?" and "Can you type up all that stuff we were talking about yesterday to convince Purchasing that we're actually planning to use these for work and aren't just buying them for personal use?"

We're a two-man department with one part time person. My boss is the easiest guy in the world to work for and we get along really well.

rolleyes posted:

Yeah, but those taxes are paid to a country whose name is a single-word response to right-wing talking points on social services.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Ahhh, the blissful feeling of digging through queries and cross checking audit field histories to dig up the information I need with screenshots to send back to the user to say "No, there's nothing wrong on our end, you hosed up and here's undeniable proof."

I can't think of a more rewarding feeling.

taremva
Mar 5, 2009

rolleyes posted:

Not going to turn this into D&D, but here you go:

Total taxes paid by me: 29.2%
Total taxes paid including additional costs for my employer:38.7%
Union fees: $23/month

My union assisted me in the salary negotiations when I got the new tasks, ended up with about 25% increased salary. The main point was that I should have the same salary as the others doing this job, and my employer have a very hard time disagreeing with that.

Edit: Last month I took home $3550. After taxes.

este
Feb 17, 2004

Boing!
Dinosaur Gum
Hardly a rare occurance, but tickets like these always make me smile:

quote:

Subject: <No Subject>

I want unscribe my request

What's funnier (sad?) is that I know exactly what this person wants, because I've received so many tickets like this over the years that I've learned to translate nonsense into English.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

"Hey Bob, can you quote getting web site xyz to work with French and Canadian English by Monday?"

(just the quote, not the work)

My response is the applications were never created (health/wellness-related interactive website) with multiple languages/localization in mind.

Response: "Oh, the client said they can take care of the translations."

It's still going to cost tens of thousands of dollars and take months to do everything else. Translating thousands of recipes, 'health tips', etc is the easy part.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

A ticket came in... it is my last ticket, for today is my last day at this job. The ticket? To deploy some code to some environment. When I got here 8 months ago this would have meant 3 hours of keyboard-jockeying to get things working, but over the course of the last 8 months I accomplished what every linux admin has always dreamed of doing... I have replaced myself with a shell script. Slowly I automated pieces of my day-to-day work until I had scripts for every little thing. The crowning glory was started when I put in my two weeks notice. I wrote a fairly large master script which handles all of my daily activities. Anyone can now do my job as long as they have sudo access on the master server I built. I feel kinda sad that I am leaving now. It's like I'm sending a child off into the world to strike out on their own.

Now to go home to that bottle of Lagavulin and celebrate my triumphs.

...knowing full well that if something does eventually break I will have billable hours.

Maggot Monster
Nov 27, 2003

HatfulOfHollow posted:

A ticket came in... it is my last ticket, for today is my last day at this job. The ticket? To deploy some code to some environment. When I got here 8 months ago this would have meant 3 hours of keyboard-jockeying to get things working, but over the course of the last 8 months I accomplished what every linux admin has always dreamed of doing... I have replaced myself with a shell script. Slowly I automated pieces of my day-to-day work until I had scripts for every little thing. The crowning glory was started when I put in my two weeks notice. I wrote a fairly large master script which handles all of my daily activities. Anyone can now do my job as long as they have sudo access on the master server I built. I feel kinda sad that I am leaving now. It's like I'm sending a child off into the world to strike out on their own.

Now to go home to that bottle of Lagavulin and celebrate my triumphs.

...knowing full well that if something does eventually break I will have billable hours.

Within two weeks your replacement will have broken the script completely to the point it no longer works and will be back to doing everything manually. It's ultra depressing.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

rolleyes posted:

At least in Norway you also have to figure a 25% sales tax on pretty much everything except food (only 14%!). But for reference I'm a student and work part time in a hardware store, my base salary is about $24.5/hr + add ons for uncomfortable working hours.

taremva
Mar 5, 2009
Sweden has 25% VAT on pretty much everything not being food or classified as "culture".
It might end up being the same amount of cash, but I have universal healthcare, I get paid if I study etc. I also cant get fired because my boss doesn't like my hair.
I'm perfectly happy here. More then once I've asked myself why you Americans put up with your jobs.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

taremva posted:

Sweden has 25% VAT on pretty much everything not being food or classified as "culture".
It might end up being the same amount of cash, but I have universal healthcare, I get paid if I study etc. I also cant get fired because my boss doesn't like my hair.
I'm perfectly happy here. More then once I've asked myself why you Americans put up with your jobs.

Because if we don't we will literally go homeless and die.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I got a voicemail ending with "Can you call me back regarding Sunday's event at extension 1840?"

Our extensions are only 84xx, 85xx, 94xx, and 95xx. I know her name because she definitely works here, but she isn't listed in the employee directory :confused:

longview posted:

At least in Norway you also have to figure a 25% sales tax on pretty much everything except food (only 14%!). But for reference I'm a student and work part time in a hardware store, my base salary is about $24.5/hr + add ons for uncomfortable working hours.
:psypop: The highest minimum wage in the US is $8.67 an hour, and only managers at a retail store would ever make more than $10 an hour.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

taremva posted:

No one actually has a choice if they want to live

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

gently caress you.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Billy the Mountain posted:

gently caress you.

What the gently caress moon language is that

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Billy the Mountain posted:

gently caress you.

I've been noticing reCaptcha has been giving me formulas and foreign text lots recently. I think someone broke it.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

go3 posted:

If I had to guess, I'd say Hebrew.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
A ticket came in:

(questions are part of the form)

quote:

Give the location where you are facing the problem?? The message appears when the personal setting and the rest of the process is running
What is the problem?? Appearing the message attached and I dont know if this is related with that the Helium has desappeared from the Excel program.

:stare:

Ridge_Runner_5
May 26, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

go3 posted:

Looks to me like Hebrew.

Ridge_Runner_5
May 26, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Migishu posted:

A ticket came in:

(questions are part of the form)

:stare:

You're screwed man, I heard that Earth is running out of Helium.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Clearly, Hebrew.

Please install Davka Writer, this is affecting productivity. Please do the needful. Thanks.

Sincerely,
:v:

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Ridge_Runner_5 posted:

Looks to me like Hebrew.

The jews are from the moon?

And another lovely ticket from one of my users:

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Philippe is such an angry eater

TenjouUtena posted:

I've been noticing reCaptcha has been giving me formulas and foreign text lots recently. I think someone broke it.

It's not broken. ReCaptcha is used to identify text for Google Books. It always gives you two words: one it already knows, and one it doesn't. You only need to get the "known" word correct. I mean, I assume it wants addresses for the first word, and you could enter anything you like for the second.

If you get it wrong the first time, it then gives you two known words.

:science:

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
So this one woman in customer service has a simple job of saving these text file attachments that contain customer address changes. She might get like 5-10 of these a day, all she has to do is save them in a specific folder, the same folder, every day. It's not difficult, is what I'm getting at.

Well, after having random days of it not working, I inform her equally dumb supervisor I haven't been getting the files every day. So I make it easy and put a shortcut to the particular network folder in her user drive and inform her of such.

Well, she calls me and tells me none of the files are making it to the folder, so I proxy her machine to watch how she is doing it. She browses to the folder where the files are saved, then goes to her outlook, opens the email, opens the txt attachment, goes to File > Save As, and just saves without looking at where it's saving to. Of course it's defaulting to her My Documents, which a quick glance tells me there's about 50 of these txt files just sitting in her folder. I politely tell her she's saving them to the wrong folder. Her response is to act super offended because she opened the folder in another window and it should be saving to there (it's clearly not, there's no files in it right now) and she's been doing it like this FOREVER!

It took so much power to tell her she's a loving moron. I hate customer service department so much.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Moey posted:

And another lovely ticket from one of my users:

He has to fight a jaguar every time he wants to send an email.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
I loving hate it when people use "kind regards" to close an email.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Maggot Monster posted:

Within two weeks your replacement will have broken the script completely to the point it no longer works and will be back to doing everything manually. It's ultra depressing.

Quick, you have a day to perl-golf it.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
"PLEASE HELP"

I can't stand that. It's not polite, it's stupid. Your printer is on fire an no one in accounting can send email? Yes, I will help without you tacking that little comment at the end of your request.

VVVVVVVV
If there's no free breakfast in the real world I'm not coming back.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Dick Trauma posted:

PLEASE HELP

Welcome... to the real world.

Edit:
Hah, caught you pre-edit. Now we know you're aware of your reality and these are just cover stories.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Dick Trauma posted:

PLEASE HELP

Uh oh... he must have run afoul of an agent.

^ gently caress, beaten!

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Dick Trauma posted:

"PLEASE HELP"

I can't stand that. It's not polite, it's stupid. Your printer is on fire an no one in accounting can send email? Yes, I will help without you tacking that little comment at the end of your request.

VVVVVVVV
If there's no free breakfast in the real world I'm not coming back.

"Please Advise"

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Moey posted:

Well, space anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

TenjouUtena posted:

"Please Advise"

I HATE that. I also have people that tend to call and start the phone conversation with:
"Helpdesk, HEEEEEELLLP!!"
or send an email with NOTHING IN THE BODY BUT THE SUBJECT IN ALL CAPS AND THE SUBJECT EXPLAINS EVERYTHING JUST LIKE THIS JUST LETTING YOU KNOW -ccc

Edit: Or this one that happened today that slipped my mind. A user called, didn't have time to answer, so I sent him straight to voicemail. He put my voicemail on hold and walked over to my desk to complain about a problem I already knew about and was working on. So he not only pissed me off, he tied up my phone line. Awesome.