Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«1342 »
Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

couldcareless posted:

What's even worse is when they get their kid that "knows a few things about computers" to start "fixing" the problem.
Heh...yeah.

Every time I hear a user say "Well I had my $family member / friend look at it for me..." I want to slap them with their computer and take it away forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZanderZ
Apr 7, 2011

by T. Mascis

/\ The reverse situation of that is far worse.

"I'll just bring your computer to my office and have the I.T guy fix it!"

*Tries to sneak a MacBook Pro into a pile of black Think Pads*

ZanderZ fucked around with this message at Nov 1, 2011 around 16:51

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

couldcareless posted:

What's even worse is when they get their kid that "knows a few things about computers" to start "fixing" the problem.
Heh...yeah.

A few months ago I had a user who was working at a customer's site when his computer started "acting funny". He did some Googling and figured he found the problem. Rather than contact us he talked with the customer's IT guy and had him break the laptop drive encryption. After that other weird things started happening - gee, I wonder why.

I ended up spending 6 hours on his laptop recovering a boat load of "business critical" files while he went on and on about crappy Dell laptops and how XP needed to be replaced by the company RIGHT NOW! Finally recovered his files and wiped the drive and reinstalled XP. Ended the day by telling him to call us before he has someone who is not authorized to work on our computers mess around with anything. The funny thing is he refused for over two weeks to let us do anything because we might "make it worse". He finally relented when we told him we were not going to try and troubleshoot a laptop that did not have a company-approved installation on it, and was last worked on by someone who was not employed by us.

It would be so much better if IT was considered something less than a carpet to be walked on in this company, but as far as the business is concerned IT is a cost that must be kept minimized (which is why they cut out $4m from our computer replacement budget - the whole year's budgeted amount). And they wonder why we have over 500 computers that are over 6 years old...

Sounder
Sep 9, 2001

A grim bloody fable, with an unhappy bloody end.

Daylen Drazzi posted:

A few months ago I had a user who was working at a customer's site when his computer started "acting funny". He did some Googling and figured he found the problem. Rather than contact us he talked with the customer's IT guy and had him break the laptop drive encryption. After that other weird things started happening - gee, I wonder why.

I ended up spending 6 hours on his laptop recovering a boat load of "business critical" files while he went on and on about crappy Dell laptops and how XP needed to be replaced by the company RIGHT NOW! Finally recovered his files and wiped the drive and reinstalled XP. Ended the day by telling him to call us before he has someone who is not authorized to work on our computers mess around with anything. The funny thing is he refused for over two weeks to let us do anything because we might "make it worse". He finally relented when we told him we were not going to try and troubleshoot a laptop that did not have a company-approved installation on it, and was last worked on by someone who was not employed by us.

It would be so much better if IT was considered something less than a carpet to be walked on in this company, but as far as the business is concerned IT is a cost that must be kept minimized (which is why they cut out $4m from our computer replacement budget - the whole year's budgeted amount). And they wonder why we have over 500 computers that are over 6 years old...

Oh god, how did they break hard drive encryption? What are you guys using?

TenjouUtena
Mar 31, 2011

ZanderZ posted:

/\ The reverse situation of that is far worse.

"I'll just bring your computer to my office and have the I.T guy fix it!"

*Tries to sneak a MacBook Pro into a pile of black Think Pads*

Why do people do this? Why do people think that the company is paying us to fix their mom's computer? What is the thought process that most people go through to say 'Oh sure, I will bring my personal thing in for the computer guys to do.' The company doesn't change your oil. Company accountant doesn't prepare your taxes.

WHY!

Icesler
Jul 7, 2005

I came into work the other day to find 4 missed calls from the same person. This person knows my start time is 7:30am yet decides to repeatedly call me at 7:00am.

I clock in, start reading my emails and ring ring. He is calling me again. I decide to ignore it since there isn't a ticket in the system and he seems intent on not leaving me a voicemail. I start working on an urgent issue for my boss and my phone rings again. It is now 7:36am.

My phone rings 3 more times from the same person. Then I get an email from him, subject line is: "call me." He calls 4 more times while I am helping one of the execs and he leaves blank voicemails.

I email the guy and say "Robert, I am busy at the moment. Please stop calling me and emailing me over and over. If you have an issue, please place a ticket explaining the issue and I will get to it as soon as I am available. Thanks"

Woohoo! Now I am in sensitivity training because I am "rude" and unprofessional to other employees. All this over opening pdf attachments.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

You're not in sensitivity training because you were actually rude. You're there because that's the only way Robert could get back at you for not attending to his special flower of an issue on HIS timeline.

HR gets leveraged as a means for revenge far more than they actually get leveraged to solve a real problem.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

You may have to metaphorically make a deal with Mort. And by "Mort", I mean Robot Mort. And by "metaphorically", I mean get your coat.

TenjouUtena posted:

Why do people do this? Why do people think that the company is paying us to fix their mom's computer? What is the thought process that most people go through to say 'Oh sure, I will bring my personal thing in for the computer guys to do.' The company doesn't change your oil. Company accountant doesn't prepare your taxes.

WHY!

poo poo like this is why it's nice to have a policy in place that states that IT is not responsible for anyone's personal computers.

If a user would like to have their computer fixed by someone in the IT group, they can negotiate it on their own time and terms.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Depending on who instigated the training and in what way you were consulted first I'd be tempted to make your own complaint to HR so your side is on record.

For starters, have they even followed their own disciplinary policy? I'm not aware of many companies where the first stage is straight to 'training'.

Icesler
Jul 7, 2005

rolleyes posted:

Depending on who instigated the training and in what way you were consulted first I'd be tempted to make your own complaint to HR so your side is on record.

For starters, have they even followed their own disciplinary policy? I'm not aware of many companies where the first stage is straight to 'training'.

Nothing has been filed against me. They had our whole department go through the training and left the reasoning vague and anonymous. Our IT manager and my boss are now saying our team needs to have a meeting to discuss how we are viewed within the company and how we are a service department and need to do our jobs with a smile and all poo poo horse poo poo.

I don't understand how its okay for others to not follow policy, be rude to IT, disregard our schedules and priorities, basically treat us like we are supposed to get on our knees and suck their dicks. All because we are a "service" department. I need to get into a new field.
5 year helpdesk vet

OriginalPseudonym
Nov 9, 2009

...and for the longest time I never understood why these people were gone the next day.

ZanderZ posted:

Make sure you tell them a thousand times to "Put everything you wish to save on the server in the folder with your name on it." Then once you've told them a thousand times, watch as they leave right when the bell rings, without backing up any of their work.

The next day...
"WHAT THE FECK HAPPENED TO MUH WORK!"

\_(ツ)_/

When I was working at a HS, we even had the student's \\users\$student folder bound on login to the My Documents folder, and the default for just about every program is My Documents. Students still managed to out-dumb the system; every day I had one or two people run screaming into the library between classes, trying to figure out which of the drop-in computers they were sitting at yesterday/last week/last month to try and get the local files off them before they had to turn them in the next period.

Icesler posted:

I don't understand how its okay for others to not follow policy, be rude to IT, disregard our schedules and priorities, basically treat us like we are supposed to get on our knees and suck their dicks. All because we are a "service" department. I need to get into a new field.
5 year helpdesk vet

Holy god, that brings back memories. Most of the people I helped were perfectly fine, but god help you if ANYTHING IT-related ever happened and it was the Union Rep who brought a complaint. He spent a month on a rampage against every individual person in the IT department because his wifi was "acting up", which we later found out was because of his microwave.

God drat, that guy.

OriginalPseudonym fucked around with this message at Nov 1, 2011 around 18:24

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.

Year of the motherfuckin-job! Finally.

Just got an offer for a much better position helping with the creation of Rhode Island's Health Info Exchange system. With a very, very nice raise.

I'm not a whiskey man myself (sorry folks), but maybe some nice brandy.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Laptop consistently no longer requiring password entrance.

I absolutely love it when people put effort into sounding intellectual in emails or tickets.

It almost always fails miserably.
[all misspellings are as originally typed...]

idiot posted:

The alert occcured at the time noted in the alert in the email below. No attempted RTS intervention was attempted at this time. If you have any questions or concerns please don't hesitate to contact [idiot] at [idiot's phone] between the hours of 7a-7p on sundays-tuesdays and alternate thursdays otherwise please call [main number] and someone at that number will be more than happy to help you.

[email sig with different phone number and hours as posted above]

customer posted:

Are you some kind of special needs kid?

nitrogen fucked around with this message at Nov 1, 2011 around 18:45

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Please note that I attempted to post in order to post a response to your reply; however my PC disfunctionality manifested itself by failing to function.

Please contact me by contacting the contact information in the included information packet below, would greatly appreciate your assistance which would be great.

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Computer no longer needs password

I had a guy come up to me and complain about this, says that it just comes right up when he turns it on so I went over and had him show me. While he was telling me the problem all over again, the login screen came up and he typed his password without missing a beat, watched it load and then turned to me and said "There, just like that!"

I walked away. \_(ツ)_/

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Our user's don't put in tickets, they call us and we either handle it or forward it up.

This line of conversation makes me wonder what the guys in Tier3 thinks of us monkeys in Tier1/2.

TenjouUtena
Mar 31, 2011

CommanderApaul posted:

Our user's don't put in tickets, they call us and we either handle it or forward it up.

This line of conversation makes me wonder what the guys in Tier3 thinks of us monkeys in Tier1/2.

We don't mind most of you but that guy who doesn't know poo poo and escalates everything no matter what it is (Usually to the wrong place?) Yeah, that guy sucks.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Sounder posted:

Oh god, how did they break hard drive encryption? What are you guys using?

It was Pointsec Encryption, but they were bought out by McAfee and it was changed to Endpoint Encryption if I remember correctly. It works just well enough that when it screws up it renders the entire hard drive unrecoverable.

In funny news I had a user come up to me yesterday in a lather about his computer not working correctly. Apparently Lotus Notes was telling him that it couldn't connect to the server and was throwing out some weird error message. I fire it up and before I can ask him anything he walks away. I had his user information so no biggy, but the first thing I see is that his password is expired. Change his password and it's all good again - call him back and he sheepishly says that he didn't want to tell me his password had expired and figured removing and reinstalling Lotus Notes "wouldn't be a big deal".

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

One of our programs has some weird issue with switching the printer around in the program that makes RDS 2008 freak out and lose the default printer and thus break printing for that session. I've yet to come up with a solution and it's not too ground breaking since most people stick to one printer. In the mean time, the work around has been go to the printer in the remote desktop session and manually change your default printer. It works fine.

This one woman is having a tough time grasping this, and unfortunately she's one of the snowflakes that needs to use multiple printers. She keeps complaining about it not working, so I say gently caress it, sit down and put together a nice step by step guide on how to do it with pictures and everything. At the beginning of the guide it says "LOG OFF AND LOG BACK ON" because otherwise, you're still stuck in a session with broken printing.

Her response back is "I did everything you said but it still won't work! Heeeeeeelllpppp"

LogOn Time: 8:43am

So angry.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Daylen Drazzi posted:

It was Pointsec Encryption, but they were bought out by McAfee and it was changed to Endpoint Encryption if I remember correctly. It works just well enough that when it screws up it renders the entire hard drive unrecoverable.

In funny news I had a user come up to me yesterday in a lather about his computer not working correctly. Apparently Lotus Notes was telling him that it couldn't connect to the server and was throwing out some weird error message. I fire it up and before I can ask him anything he walks away. I had his user information so no biggy, but the first thing I see is that his password is expired. Change his password and it's all good again - call him back and he sheepishly says that he didn't want to tell me his password had expired and figured removing and reinstalling Lotus Notes "wouldn't be a big deal".

Even if it wasn't... He'd still have to loving change is password.

God I hate rear end in a top hat stupid-gently caress users.

SumYungGui
Aug 9, 2003

AlexDeGruven posted:

Even if it wasn't... He'd still have to loving change is password.

God I hate rear end in a top hat stupid-gently caress users.

Stupid-gently caress users I can deal with. Stupid-gently caress users who insist YOU MUST FIX MY PROBLEM RIGHT NOW or that THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT, YOU DID THIS or the other special-snowflake bullshit they always pile on top of it are what exhaust my patience. I've got no problems making fun of people who don't know basic things and then moving on with my day. A chuckle with other IT guys and then life goes on. It's the other poo poo that sticks in my craw and will honestly piss me off for hours at a shot.

I need a different career path.

mono
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

Don't mind me, just cleaning up Conficker... let me check the Scheduled Tasks. Gee, why's it taking so long to load--

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Cthulhuite posted:

I had a guy come up to me and complain about this, says that it just comes right up when he turns it on so I went over and had him show me. While he was telling me the problem all over again, the login screen came up and he typed his password without missing a beat, watched it load and then turned to me and said "There, just like that!"

I walked away. \_(ツ)_/

Someone told me they weren't able to connect to VPN. I watched them double-click the desktop shortcut and immediately click the Cancel button when the progress dialog appeared.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

You may have to metaphorically make a deal with Mort. And by "Mort", I mean Robot Mort. And by "metaphorically", I mean get your coat.

Toady posted:

Someone told me they weren't able to connect to VPN. I watched them double-click the desktop shortcut and immediately click the Cancel button when the progress dialog appeared.

I told you dem compooters are useless! They should do everything right away!

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Computer no longer needs password

Turns out she was upgraded from XP to 7 on a laptop several weeks ago and the TrueCrypt whole disk encryption wasn't reinstalled afterwards, so it wasn't asking for an "entrance password".

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Daylen Drazzi posted:

I see is that his password is expired. Change his password and it's all good again - call him back and he sheepishly says that he didn't want to tell me his password had expired and figured removing and reinstalling Lotus Notes "wouldn't be a big deal".

The huge pharma company that shoved the million page security hardening guide, then wanted unlimited rcp as root has a new wrinkle.

They are angry that hpux makes you log back in after a forced password change, and demand we "fix" it.

They also seem unable to grasp the fact that HP-UX 11iv3 no longer has "Trusted" mode. They keep rejecting servers built "because trusted mode isn't turned on"

Never mind that they specc'd 11i v3 to begin with...

\_(ツ)_/ (i gotta get in on this)

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

My dick is fine. Thanks for asking.

Best complaint I've heard today was in the break room, from an executive secretary. The milk from the espresso machine was coming out too frothy. I yelled "WE CAN'T WORK LIKE THIS!"

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Dick Trauma posted:

Best complaint I've heard today was in the break room, from an executive secretary. The milk from the espresso machine was coming out too frothy. I yelled "WE CAN'T WORK LIKE THIS!"

BACK INTO YOUR POD! *shoves Dick Trauma back into the Matrix*

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Dick Trauma posted:

A ticket came in: FROTHY MILK IS AFFECTING PRODUCTION

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

couldcareless posted:

A ticket came in: FROTHY MILK IS AFFECTING PRODUCTION

You're good with computers, fix the coffee machine.

Ridge_Runner_5
May 26, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

So I replaced a user's D620 laptop with an E6420 last week. I let her hold on to the old one to use some software that we don't have in our repository at the moment. The very next morning I get a slew of emails from her, her boss and my boss telling me she needs to come in this afternoon and give back the new one, it's all broken and nothing works blah blah blah.

She she comes in, just ranting about how her new laptop doesn't work (the encryption borked on it), the old laptop doesn't work in the new laptop dock (different pin configuration) and its all suck.

I take back the laptop, and she insists I take EVERYTHING. The dock, the keyboard, the mouse, she wants her old ones back (dumpstered). I tell her to hold on to the new stuff, because she'll need it when I get her new laptop fixed.

She demands she gets my cell number to contact me if she has any problems. I give it to her on the condition that she only call it regarding the new computer, and only for 1 week after, as that is my limit for support.

I give her another dock for her old computer. She complains that it's not hers, because hers wasn't that dirty. I tell her it's the same thing, they work the same.

I get her out of there, I wrap up and go home. 2 hours later, in the middle of getting my rear end handed to me in BF3, she calls me.

Why isn't my laptop working?
What do you mean?
It's taking so long to start up. What did you do?
Your old laptop?
Yeah, its so slow. What did you do to it?
Nothing, you've had it the whole time
Yeah, but it's so slow to start up
Do you turn your computer off at night?
Yeah, every night, why?
No reason.
Okay the login screen is up. WHY WONT THE KEYBOARD WORK!?
It takes a minute, hang on
It's not working! Why won't it work!
Calm down, it takes the computer a minute to find it.
Okay its working now. Don't hang up. I want to make sure everything works

Okay, logging in to VPN. It's so slow. Are you sure you didn't do something to it? Okay, it works. Thanks! *click*

*Goes back to facing off against T-90s with a shotgun*

Sounder
Sep 9, 2001

A grim bloody fable, with an unhappy bloody end.

Ridge_Runner_5 posted:

We're doing a major software refresh here in the coming weeks (XP to 7) and this isn't the most encouraging story to read right now.

My users will be reasonable and happy to see new things that will improve their productivity in the long run, right? Right? Why are you staring at me like that?

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Ridge_Runner_5 posted:

She demands she gets my cell number to contact me if she has any problems. I give it to her on the condition that she only call it regarding the new computer, and only for 1 week after, as that is my limit for support.

I think I found your problem. The answer was "I'm not on call, put in a ticket and someone will help you if you have any issues" but you didn't do a great job there and you caved. Is she at least good looking enough that you can blame that for being weak? It helps me to accept a lapse in judgment like that if the other person is either hot or really nice or preferably both. Otherwise I feel like a loving idiot the first time they find my cellphone number and call me after hours for some stupid loving problem.

Sounder posted:

My users will be reasonable and happy to see new things that will improve their productivity in the long run, right? Right? Why are you staring at me like that?

your users will be scared of new things and pissed off that nothing looks the same and the lovely programs they have had installed for 3 years are no longer being made and now run lovely and they won't want to use new programs that work better. They won't know what the start menu is now that there is no START on the loving button. They won't want to pin to the taskbar, and then suddenly once that clicks in their head that it's useful as gently caress they will not know where any program is on their computer if it's NOT pinned to the taskbar.

The older they are, the more significant these problems will be for them. Some will die. Most will survive with injuries. The youngest will rise up and become leaders of your new technology revolution, carving paths of understanding through the seas of idiots you work for.

Telex fucked around with this message at Nov 2, 2011 around 00:51

Ridge_Runner_5
May 26, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Telex posted:

I think I found your problem. The answer was "I'm not on call, put in a ticket and someone will help you if you have any issues" but you didn't do a great job there and you caved. Is she at least good looking enough that you can blame that for being weak? It helps me to accept a lapse in judgment like that if the other person is either hot or really nice or preferably both. Otherwise I feel like a loving idiot the first time they find my cellphone number and call me after hours for some stupid loving problem.

Nah, I'm just a pushover.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

I didn't ask for this Coyote myth.

Brut posted:

Yeah until he brings you a monitor still attached to the power strip still attached to the socket that's been ripped out of the wall.
Been there, seen that. A really ditzy woman who manages one of our grants, decided that this really heavy, 8 foot long table with 4 CRT monitors and 4 desktops beneath it, needed to be moved from one side of a room to the other. So she just corralled 4 or 5 people who work under her, had them grab it and start pushing.

Of course all of the carefully velcro'd cables and power strips and network cables were not unplugged, first. She destroyed 2 wall outlets for network jacks, three power strips, and two electrical outlets.

Her ticket was "we need to have the computers in room 319 reconnected to the network, we rearranged the room." Nobody even noticed that they'd torn 4 holes in the wall.

OriginalPseudonym
Nov 9, 2009

...and for the longest time I never understood why these people were gone the next day.

coyo7e posted:

Been there, seen that. A really ditzy woman who manages one of our grants, decided that this really heavy, 8 foot long table with 4 CRT monitors and 4 desktops beneath it, needed to be moved from one side of a room to the other. So she just corralled 4 or 5 people who work under her, had them grab it and start pushing.

Of course all of the carefully velcro'd cables and power strips and network cables were not unplugged, first. She destroyed 2 wall outlets for network jacks, three power strips, and two electrical outlets.

Her ticket was "we need to have the computers in room 319 reconnected to the network, we rearranged the room." Nobody even noticed that they'd torn 4 holes in the wall.

The thing that depresses me about these threads is the fact that they never end in "...and then they got fired".

mono
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

Ridge_Runner_5 posted:

the old laptop doesn't work in the new laptop dock (different pin configuration) and its all suck.

This makes me wonder how much time she spent trying to jam a D620 on a new style docking station, and how broken each of them ended up as a result...

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

A ticket came in: Can't print from special software that uses Citrix.

Motherfucker. I've called the company numerous of times, but they just go \_(ツ)_/ to me. The problem is that half of the time, when the user connects to the server and want to print, it doesn't have the printers on the local machines. Thankfully, I managed to get the Export feature working so the user can just export from the server to the local machine and print that way, but holy gently caress, Citrix can go DIE IN A loving FIRE.

And this is just only one of many special software we use that uses Citrix - and each one requires a different version! gently caress ME.

TomBosleyExp
Feb 16, 2005

You look unhappy.
I like that.

RadicalR posted:

Citrix can go DIE IN A loving FIRE.

And this is just only one of many special software we use that uses Citrix - and each one requires a different version! gently caress ME.

and I'm betting neither citrix nor the software is backwards compatible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ridge_Runner_5
May 26, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

mono posted:

This makes me wonder how much time she spent trying to jam a D620 on a new style docking station, and how broken each of them ended up as a result...

I had a user at my previous gig who said "Ridge, this laptop wont dock!" and then showed me by literally slapping the laptop onto the dock over and over again, from no single angle in particular, just all the wrong ones.

«1342 »