Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

AlexDeGruven posted:

Soooo... It would appear that one of the updates contained in our latest McAfee Enterprise push (which happened at 11am) incorrectly flagged a system file which then got quarantined/deleted, instantly suiciding somewhere around 10,000 workstations.

I'm SOOOOO glad I don't work in desktop support or helpdesk anymore.

Nor do I run the default WinXP image we use here, and I use MSSE. :munch:

Interesting how many of us are up and running still, and how many of us are dead.

Update:

The faulty definition came direct from McAffee, so if you're using it, watch out.

Our distribution servers picked up the update and started pushing it automatically (Already a problem, ya think?).

Current estimate is that 8,000 machines got the update before they killed the push process.
Ding ding! We got hit by this; an organisation with over 60,000 employees, shut down within the space of 30 minutes :aaaaa:

I think my favourite part was this failing was apparently caused because McAfee neglected to test the definitions on Windows XP SP3. For your information, SP3 is the latest service pack for XP, and was released publicly on May 6 2008: 2 years ago. McAfee aren't considering the most up to date version of the most popular version of Windows in their quality control processes :ughh:

Rohaq fucked around with this message at 21:53 on May 12, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

sfwarlock posted:

Dumbass cow orker #1: Well this is why you don't use McAfee.
Me: I really think that any AV company is capable of this, it just happened to be McAfee. Also, you would have more credibility if you weren't pushing Norton as a replacement.

Dumbass cow orker #2: Well this is why you don't use Windows.
Me: I'm not even going to bother to debate with you.
We had a few people in IT who said exactly the same thing. Yes, it was a waste of time and McAfee's fault, but if it comes down to the choices of setting up a contract with, and rolling out an entirely new antivirus product, completely changing operating systems and every piece of software that was dependent on it, or implementing controls on our enterprise server to allow us to run our own quality control process on future updates, rather than allowing whichever antivirus product we use entirely control a quality control process which do you think IT is going to find most plausible and cost effective?

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

No real update other than that he appears to still work here.

He came back at 10:30a and had a long phone call in his native tongue which I expect was to his wife. I was working on a dumb problem with IE8 and DEP and he came in and said something like "Is everything ok?" and I showed him the problem and he was all smiles and Joe Helpful while managing to add nothing to the solution and ignoring my instructions when I figured it out.

I've heard nothing from HR but I expect eventually he'll call me to get me caught up. I didn't expect my boss would be fired this morning but I thought it was possible he'd rage-quit. He's a clever person though who has managed to work himself into a place where he has proven untouchable for years so I don't want to underestimate him.

Either way I won't be here for long. It's been a year and a half of workplace misery and I need to stop selling my life one day at a time to this ratfucker.
The BSA torp is still on its way though; which is still something he's going to have to deal with, and will not reflect on him well when the company is forced to pay substantial fines.

You also have to remember that when people gently caress up, unless they're an immediate threat (like if they've been caught stealing or selling company secrets) it's bad form to fire them straight away; any kind of firing can lower morale amongst the staff, especially if people aren't given a chance to pull their socks up. He will only be able to play nicely for so long before he starts falling back into his old ways.

Rohaq fucked around with this message at 22:08 on May 12, 2010

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

:siren: HE GOT AWAY WITH IT :siren:

The HR Director had printouts showing all the time he's been stealing by leaving work. He also had the timesheet where my boss failed to record the days off he's been taking.

His response: "I didn't know I couldn't do that." :v:

There will be no punishment, nothing in his record. He has been told to stop stealing time from the company. And to leave his door open more often. He was asked if he could give the company 100% and he said "I don't know. Probably not."
This seems odd; either he knows something, and knows that he'll be safe, or he's an idiot. I don't know; if I were you, I'd ride this one out a little bit longer, especially with the BSA swooping in at some point. You say that there will be 'nothing in his record', but this will be remembered, ready for his next fuckup.

Dick Trauma posted:

At the end the HR Director told me that my boss claims I am doing "personal business" at work because he's seen me minimize my programs when he comes in my office. He claims that he marked me down for it on my performance review. He did not. It's the first I've heard of it. That was the last straw, that he was able to turn the HR meeting into a forum for character assassination. I will hate myself for being unemployed. I'll hate myself for staying.

These are my usual choices.
This raised an alarm bell with me; why were you mentioned during this meeting if it was all about him? Who brought you up? Either your boss has an inkling about your involvement in all of this, or HR aren't very good at keeping secrets.

I dunno, part of me says ride it out until the BSA come into play, especially since you can't claim unemployment if you wilfully leave, but on the other hand, I can totally understand you not wanting to work underneath this rear end in a top hat.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

OatmealRocks posted:

You know for all the grief he has given.. you could up it up a notch. If you don't mind crossing the line you could set him up.. I'm just saying considering he has been doing that poo poo to you anyway.
This is probably a terrible idea that will land you in a lot more trouble than it's worth.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

chutwig posted:

That sounds like the kind of excuse they'd give to a non-telco person to try to soak them for fake overage charges. There's no way a T1 can transfer more than 1.544 Mbit/sec, and from a user standpoint it's a maximum of 1.536 Mbit/sec because of the reserved framing bits. It's not technically possible.
Wouldn't the ISP include the framing bits in the bandwidth used? They tend to include anything that gets transmitted, since it does essentially cost them bandwidth.

It still sounds like bull though; if you're going 'over' the bandwidth limit, then they should be limiting that on their end, or stop making such a huge loving fuss about your connection gaining a massive 10.24Kbps, or 1.28KB/s :P

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

Puck42 posted:

If it's a real T1 it physically can't go over 1.544 Mbit/s the ISP wouldn't have to do a thing on their end.
So either they don't have a real T1, or the ISP is talking out of its arse.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

brc64 posted:

Yeah, the whole think reeks of bullshit. Regardless, I'm interested in seeing what I can find out on our end. I'm currently downloading a cacti virtual appliance which I hope is straightforward enough to get going.

They've called us 3 times since yesterday to tell us that we need more bandwidth. I really think they're just trying to squeeze us for more money, and since we signed a loving 3 year contract with them last year, we're pretty well stuck with them. Otherwise I'd be perfectly happy to give them the finger and give our business to somebody else.
Best thing to tell them is that you're currently investigating your bandwidth usage, and are interested to know how you've exceeded 1.544Mbps, when this should not be possible on a T1 line - After all, they shouldn't even be able to offer you a 'greater' bandwidth without installing another replacement line/bonding your current line to another, new line. That is, unless what you've got isn't actually a T1, in which case you could argue with them that you should be paying for a T1 line, including all of the limits that it imposes, and that any ability to exceed their transfer speed limitations by such a tiny amount is their own damned fault.

The only other possibility I could think of is that they meant bandwidth as in actual data transfer over the month/year/whatever period, but then it doesn't make sense for them to talk about transfer rates, rather than the total amount of data transferred.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

IT Guy posted:

I die a little inside every time I see a user browsing the internet and double clicking every link they see.

Even worse when submitting a form and double clicking that submit button.

Congrats you gently caress, you better loving hope that didn't just send your payment twice, rear end in a top hat.
To be fair, putting the following into play on a site where double clicking could be hazardous isn't that hard:
code:
<input type='button' onClick='this.disabled=true; this.form.submit();' value='Submit'>
And a decent site should be making sure that payments are only submitted once.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

peak debt posted:

Citrix will never work acceptably fast over GSM modem, even "2 Mb" HSDPA cards will struggle, have mouse pointer lag and all the other annoying features of remote work.
Aren't 3G modems pretty bad for lag?: I thought that the general opinion was that they're fine for net use and download speeds, but if you have anything latency dependent, you're going to run into problems.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

coyo7e posted:

What, do you start pulling cables through walls and the ceiling every time some idiot manager declares that they absolutely must have 4 people on 4 workstations in an office with 2 network jacks?
Hub != Switch

They operate in very different ways that allow for a massive performance difference. Hubs can be useful though, say, if you want an inexpensive solution to capture traffic between two points (like say, for network analysis), since they repeat on all ports, but you'll lose speed between the points as a result.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006
And to think you were planning on quitting a while back :)

Congrats Dick!

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

Mr. Clark2 posted:

I lost my helpdesk job late last year and have been looking for work since then. I had a phone interview with a guy last week, it went really well. He called me back and scheduled an in person interview for today.
I meet with the guy and we talk for about an hour, things are looking really, really good. I'm answering all the questions with the 'right' answers and the guy is totally digging my answers. I'm thinking to myself, "I've got this in the bag." Then I start asking him questions.
Turns out he is the founder of the company, and their business model is 'Outsourced IT support'. Ok, thats not so terrible I guess. I ask how many employees they have currently.Just he and his wife. Any contracts signed with clients? Yeah...1. Its a school...for kids on probation...and they have pretty much no IT budget (but he's workikng on getting that increased)...and they're running 5-6 year old hardware that they bought used. And they only replace poo poo when it fails, theres no upgrade plan in place. Ok, I like a challenge, this isnt too bad. Then he lays the worst part on me...the contract begins next Tuesday and the outgoing IT staff (one dude) will only be there for a month and he's not being too cooperative (you know, since he's losing his job)
I'm pretty sure that he's going to offer me the job but gently caress I dont think I can deal with all of that.
Oh god, that sounds like a loving nightmare; he sounds like one of these people who is 'good with computers' who thinks that it's still the 90s, and that you can still start a computer business because you built a PC this one time and can install Windows.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006
I dunno, starting up a lot of businesses isn't always a good thing; how many of those businesses have ever seen any manner of success?

Regardless, if you're any good, unless his business goes down the pan, you're unlikely to lose your job; this either means you'll at least get regular income, but it also means that it may be difficult to leave and get unemployment if you find that the job's as bad as it sounds. Of course, if he skips the country, you should still be able to claim unemployment.

Rohaq fucked around with this message at 01:09 on May 26, 2010

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

three posted:

3) If he's leaving early every single day then his boss's boss should handle it. I don't police my boss, do you? Know your role.
I agree; he should have shut the gently caress up, done as he's told, otherwise he'd never get a promotion. Oh poo poo, wait.

quote:

5) There were routes he could have exhausted before reporting to the BSA. You don't slice bread with a chainsaw. It was childish and immature, and he did it to try to get someone in trouble (for apparent reasons other than piracy it self) not for ethical reasons.
So he should shut up, keep his head down, and raise issues with people? :psyduck:

quote:

Fair enough. I just wanted to add to the ranting about how much I hate low-totem-pole workers whining about everything and being passive aggressive.
Dick did the exact opposite though; he wasn't passive aggressive, he reported his boss' behaviour and the company acted properly.

Not only do your suggestions conflict, but had Dick done anything other than what he did, he wouldn't be the improved position that he is in today.

I guess what I'm saying is that you probably shouldn't ever start an advice column in any IT magazines.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

IT Guy posted:

I have some 16 port 10mbit hubs I can send your way.
Not to disrespect your charity, but wouldn't hubs take forever to ghost multiple machines at the same time on?

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

Panthrax posted:

I disagree. Images come in, images go out on all ports, ghosting all computers at one time. It's clearly the perfect solution.
I'm assuming that the ghosting server sends it to IPs, rather than just pumps data out in the direction of the hub though.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

PnP Bios posted:

that's valid xhtml, scrub
We know, and now he knows too. He feels silly and now we're back to normal.

Welcome to a page ago.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

CannedMeat posted:

Even though this happened in my work's other office, I still think your IT guys have to really drop the ball for this to happen. Am I the only one who sets up server class VMs with all their disk space allocated at build time? How does your NAS filling up cause any problems if you're not dynamically allocating space to VMs?

When this happened to us, it was because the other office's sysadmin has set up all the VMs to claim disk space as they fill up, then set up scheduled ESX snapshotting to the same ESX datastore the VMs were on, then forgot about it for a couple months.

At least my bosses were too cheap to bother flying me to the other office to assist him with his self inflicted disaster recovery excersise. It wasn't even that bad, his Exchange server was the only one that wasn't easily brought back up.
Surely by using dynamic space allocation you just open yourself up for fragmentation of your hard drive image on the host system? Dynamic allocation is great for experimenting with VMs, but in a production system you have known limits on your storage - there's no reason to use dynamic allocation for production systems at all :confused:

Rohaq fucked around with this message at 23:59 on May 29, 2010

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006
Also, since there seems to be a lot of drinkers in here, for those UK: Tesco has an offer the moment that means you can get two 70cl bottles of Grant's whisky for £22. loving bargain.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

Diocletian posted:

We recently took over another clients network, turns out the network was built and maintained by a "friend of one of the lawyers." Yeah, they have almost constant authentication issues come up, exchange cert isn't even valid. He made it so you can connect to any machine on the internal network by using mail.company.com:xxxx via RDP.

Oh and then there's this:

This is their 2008 SBS machine, can you see what the problem is?

:downs:
I'm pretty sure SBS 2008 doesn't come with a RECOVERY partition, unless Dell sell SBS machines and include a recovery DVD.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

Syano posted:

What do you guys do with tickets that never get responses? I'm about 5 minutes from just closing about 10 tickets that are open in the system that we cant get resolution on because the end user refuses to respond.
We had a system where we could mark the ticket as temporarily resolved when we replied; it then included in the email 'please respond within two weeks of this email being sent, or your ticket will be marked as resolved. Responding to this ticket at any time will reopen the issue, however.' or something similar.

Most people responded, of course, but there were always the special few who would ignore the first email, then when they received the second email two weeks later, stating something along the lines of 'Your issue has been marked as resolved. If you believe that the issue is still affecting you, please feel free to respond to this email with more details and we will be happy to look into this further.', they would respond with a sperg of hatred, capital letters, legal threats, and threats they they would post about their annoyance on 'the internet'. Thankfully, they were definitely in the minority.

Then there was the guy who phoned at 3am to try and get me to configure the linux router he'd built. I gave him the usual settings, but it was pretty obvious that he wasn't entirely sure of what he was doing. Regardless, he wouldn't get off the line talking about his stupid linux router and trying to convince me that I should help him. About ten minutes in, I eventually lied, and told him that I had to go because of other calls on the line; it's 3am, I'm answering what was supposed to be a 'standby' support line. I wanted some loving sleep.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

PirateDentist posted:

Bingo. We'll ask 4-5 times over 3 days or so if this is still a problem, which generates an email every time. 10 minutes after we close it we'll get a followup ticket with them whining. "noooo it still doesnt work. please fix!!!!!1"
Then you respond with 'Okay, not a problem; please can you provide <information you asked for in the last 6 responses to your ticket>?'

Then they dont respond again, or finally provide the information.

I really don't get why people wait until the ticket is closed to respond; maybe they think that they're getting blown off with the 'Have you switched it off and on again' response, but if so, do you really think that by not responding, that the guy who handled your ticket is now frittering and worrying over your lack of communication? Aside from creating an annoyance, if you don't want to work with them, when your problem fails to get resolved, at the end of the day it still ends up being your problem.

Seriously though, most of the time you get asked to run standard checks like 'Have you switched it off and on again?' because 90% of the time, going through standard checks will resolve the problem. Maybe you are certain it won't work, but for gently caress's sake, humour us at least, just respond with 'Yes, I have performed these checks and it's still not working/temporarily resolved the issue but it's happening again.', and we're happy to advance it.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

Delta-Wye posted:

Yeah, admittedly it doesn't help with bandwidth use. I was hoping that over the course of a month, the downloads would be spread out enough not to be a huge concern. The big boss was proposing hiring Indians to log in remotely in the middle of the night to run updates manually. There has got to be a better solution :v:
An external, foreign organisation logging onto your computers in the middle of the night to run updates? What?

If that was thought to be an acceptable solution, what's the matter with scheduling automatic updates? Why pay the cow when you can already get the milk for free?

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

Delta-Wye posted:

Thats the killer, they're not even our computers - we do contract IT for OTHER people!
:psyboom:

quote:

At some point in the past, WSUS was used but has since been removed. In it's place has been a nightmare of mishmash solutions. I don't think running automatic updates is the solution, it seems like we have been running into a lot more poisonous updates lately - for instance, Office Compatiblity Pack Service Pack 2 totally breaks the compatibility pack on windows 2000 - thanks for that extensive testing Microsoft! So we couldn't install that update on any client sites without totally breaking things. An ideal solution would allow us to easily select which updates get installed, and easily see which computers are not up-to-date. I don't really care where the updates come from.
Err, what was wrong with WSUS? This sounds pretty much like what it does.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

Delta-Wye posted:

As far as I can tell WSUS was abandoned because the big boss doesn't like it. It "doesn't cross layer-3 networks" (what) and you need to be in the same domain or at least trusted (wut) which SBS won't do.
Won't.. cross layer 3 networks? What? Is he referring to the OSI layer model? I really don't get it.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

He's saying it won't cross a routing boundary (bullshit). Everything he has said is completely wrong.
That's what I got out of it, what I couldn't think of was why.

I mean, even if WSUS had some crazy arbitrary restriction to prevent communication with anything outside of its subnet (which would be utterly retarded), you could still remote in through RDC to administer it, and it would still be a better solution than hand-installing updates!

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006
Here's it's website, there's a live demo there if you want to see what it does too:
http://www.manageengine.com/products/desktop-central/

Looks like a combo of patch/software/asset/GPO management with some reporting tools with pretty charts.

Most of it seems to be stuff you can already do in Active Directory though - it really depends on what your company needs it for.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

Bob Cthulhu posted:

I think it's mostly because I'm the only one how knows how to make msi's for installing stuff through group policy. I'm not that skilled with it and nobody else wants to learn how.
At a guess, you'll probably end up doing that - It's unlikely that the system builds its own silent installers.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

Sigma X posted:

That is not wide enough to roll a wheelchair through. EEO issue?
This sounds like your best bet - Ask whoever's in charge of the finances behind this move to weigh up the cost of potential fines for generating a fire hazard or failing to meet accessibility requirements and potential lawsuits against the cost of shifting some desks around and installing a new window.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

You got me. I made it up-oh God it's all real...

Click here for the full 700x525 image.

EDIT: The Blackberry camera makes it difficult to appreciate just how huge that unit is. There's massive cone-like ducts on each end and they run the full length of the room.
Is your desk actually part of a shelving system?

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006
Posted this in the 'gently caress my friends' thread in E/N, but it felt relevant here:

Rohaq posted:

Jesus Joan, would you please stop guilt tripping me because I don't have the free time to make a few 'minor' changes to the website I made for you years ago? I threw together something quick in Photoshop and put together an integrated Wordpress blog for you so you could update the content yourself. Now you 'just' want to make it a bit wider, and 'just' change the main picture, and 'just' make it a different colour, and 'just' add comments to the custom Wordpress theme I quickly threw together. I think you also mentioned 'just' putting the navigation system on the other side of the page.

It was four years ago. back then I was bored, single, living with my mom until university started, and had time to spare. Oddly enough, I don't have the source PSD files any more, and it is, contrary to what you believe, not as easy as you seem to think to make these so-called 'minor' changes without everything separated into layers. I was busy last year when you asked with my university course, which oddly took the front seat over the free website I made for you. Then you asked me the other day; I told you that in a few days I was about to go in for surgery, followed by moving house, and working a full time job, and currently had a shitton of things to deal with from my car insurance company, student finances, sorting short term accommodation until my internship is up, and having to organise moving my things again. I was a little stressed and busy, and asked if you could at least wait until halfway through July so that most of these things were sorted. You put a mood on, and tried to guilt trip me with 'Yeah. Sure. I'll save up and find someone to pay to do it or something.'

I know you don't have much money, but gently caress, maybe you should: You never seem to contact me unless it's leading up to you asking for something anyway. I did you all sorts of favours in the past, you did me some too, but loving hell, understand that I don't have time to constantly support your free website outside of whacking the 'update' button every now and again for Wordpress and making sure nothing goes wrong.

I am never making anybody a loving website ever again without a support contract.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

Hav posted:

This should be lesson one in all programming courses. Or maybe something like this;

1) Get requirements tightened down. Quote on requirements. Requote on requirement changes.
2) Make work to requirements. Do not deviate.
3) Customers are lying scumbags.
4) See 3.

I think I swore the the same thing around 1996, so you're not alone.
Oh no, she was perfectly happy with it for a good couple of years, then she expected me to magic up free time to change things on it, right in the middle of my university course, and got pissy when I didn't have time to work on it any more.

For bonus points, if I told her when I might be free, and to grab me around that time, she never bothered contacting me. Now I just don't care any more - She can go and pay someone to do it.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

enotnert posted:

it's 3:00 and I'm still moppin. .

mop mop mop all day long. . .
Dude, why?

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006
More to the point: A web page can change your proxy settings without informing you? That's pretty lovely security.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

soy posted:

This basically happens anytime anything goes wrong. What I don't get, is that he's the owner of the company. Why does he feel the need to shift blame around for every problem? He doesn't report to anyone....
Welcome to narcissism!: He doesn't care what other people think, he cares what he thinks, and as far as he's concerned, it can never be his fault, even if he was the one who overloaded the power strip in the first place and he was warned a dozen times before.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006
Grargrggh.

I spent about two weeks trying to fix a bug in an LDAP script that boiled down to... my boss not setting the members up correctly in the test group I was working on. The 'bug' I was chasing down was nothing more than him forgetting to set up one of the attributes correctly.

He's a smart guy and is probably one of the top in his field, but I had been scratching my head and testing out hacks and all sorts for ages, only to finally deduce that the error had nothing to do with the changes I made to the code previously :(

That said, I feel a little stupid spending so long trying to figure it out, and then figuring it out in an hour or two by essentially pencilling down the entire functionality of the scripts onto paper; I assumed that he'd done everything right on his side, and so I assumed it was down to my code, and as such I was poking around in the wrong areas.

Whisky, please.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

AcridWhistle posted:

Lead Computer Technician

Responsible for nearly all of our servers (20+)
The entire AD domain, antivirus, DHCP, the usual stuff
Light networking, CISCO WAPs,
Along with handing the regular tech work on 3 buildings, 200+staff, 500 or so computers (average life of 6 years (with plent of 10+ yr machines along with new)).
See, in cases like this, how would it be received by HR if you requested a change in job title that reflected your actual responsibilities?

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

meecrob posted:

Comcast cable modem has been dead in the water all day, so I tether my cell to my PC and try to give the live chat support a whirl...

At this point I said gently caress it and closed my browser. Seriously Comcast, what the gently caress? Like I'm too illiterate to read "Cable Modem" across the front? Can your tech not see that this is a supported loving modem? I so wish there was an alternative to this lovely service but alas, Verizon's 1.5 ADSL isn't up to snuff.
I think that it's important here to point out that a router is not a modem: Your 'router' has an integrated modem, and the router functionality routes information between your local network and the modem's connection to the ISP network.

Try telling them that your router has an integrated modem, although to be honest, I doubt that will make them any more helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

thelightguy posted:

It's not a router/modem combo though, it's a Linksys cable modem. Google the model number if you don't believe me.
Ah, I see, sorry: I'm in the UK; most connections here are ADSL, where we need modem functionality in our 'routers'.

Ignore my post :)