Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
lazyman
Jul 2, 2007

Yaos posted:

Has anybody switched away from the "5 years, time to replace!" cycle on purpose and not due to lack of funds? Is that an actual cycle anybody follows, or a lie spread by OEMs and computer "journalists"?

We do 4 years desktops, 3 years laptops. It's just a taxation issue, can't claim on old machines.

We've disposed of almost everything older than 755s. I know there are at least 2 or 3 280s still creaking along that have been setup for a specific purpose, if they were actually being used daily for any real work I'm sure they would have been long gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lazyman
Jul 2, 2007

CrazyDutchie posted:

A ticket came in...

And it got my out of office as reply:

Booya! :yarr:

Except it's not a real holiday. CCIE study time!
Ontopic, this happened sometime last year. Note the fan is still working.

We've had a long running "to do" item on the IT dept whiteboard "Fire Alarm/UPS Trip?" Our manager pointed out that if one of the machine rooms is inundated, that there is no guarantee the UPSs will trip out.
Thereby making the server rooms a bit zappy.

The alarm company don't seem to think it's their issue so we've all agreed that if the computer centre floods we just go home.

lazyman
Jul 2, 2007
A little bit OT, but we've noticed that our most demanding users always seem to be in the accounting dept. Out of 600 odd users, there is only about 10 or so accountants. But if there is complaining to be done you can bet your rear end it's gonna be about freaking Excel and the interminable slowness of their 780's with 4gig of RAM.

WTF accountants?

lazyman
Jul 2, 2007

Dravs posted:

We had SEP and people thought it was great because it never detected anything.

:ughh:

We don't have SEP anymore.

Eugh.. we use SEP. What an absolute piece of trash, it's basically useless.

lazyman
Jul 2, 2007

Crowley posted:

We're working with a vendor to improve the time-management software we use, and integrate it better with AD and Exchange.

Yesterday one of the developers called me from his home in Spain to ask for my help setting up the correct permissions for his experimental Exchange/AD setup.. which he got as a set of .VMDKs from one of their costumers in Germany.

In effect I wound up helping a Spanish guy set up a virtual server running a German version of Exchange. Much to mu own surprise it actually worked. Gogo rusty German skills! :toot:

Nice one. Today I worked on a Lotus issue at a site in Bangalore, using sccm remote tools via RDP to our server in Oslo. I'm in Australia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lazyman
Jul 2, 2007

SumYungGui posted:

Three complete desks powerstrip daisy-chained to one UPS, and the kicker? A loving coffee maker on the UPS too.

This type of thing would have been photographed and reported like a goddamn triple homicide scene at my work.