Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

mllaneza posted:

..of everything. Canon's OS X drivers are special snowflakes that don't work right if I push them over the network, and they haven't bothered to let Apple put the drivers in Software Update.

I'm kinda cheesed the Xerox rep hosed up his presentation, they employee people who can write drivers.

I know this is literally from 6 months ago (still reading through the thread), but I figured I'd make everyone's day a bit worse. My father in law was supervisor for the team that tests new drivers for Xerox. I say was because he and his whole team were laid off about a month ago - Xerox now outsources all its quality control and driver testing to India. :negative:

That said, is there anyone in the Rochester/Buffalo area hiring a sysadmin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Aunt Beth posted:

Ooh, gosh. Hi KillHour and Guy Axlerod. Always lovely to see fellow ROC goons around the forums.

Anywho, chiming in a bit late to the helpdesk software conversation, but one of my former employers used Service-Now. It was a nice suite, very very full-featured, touting its ITIL compliance and all that nonsense. It was extremely customizable and had pretty drat good customer service. Don't read too much on their homepage, which must have been designed by an intern, since they tout "Web 2.0" as one of their signature features. That lunacy aside, it's pretty nice. There's even a live, free, sandboxed install of the software for people to go play in. They don't even ask for an email or anything.

I'm from Buff, but my FiL lives outside of Batavia. It's about the same commute whichever way he goes.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Not a ticket, but seeing as this is the year of the job and I currently am searching for one:

I'm currently in the draft process of getting my resume written by Resume to Interviews since it was recommended so highly by goons. Normally, I'd wait until after I finish to share this, but...

The guy doing mine keeps spelling my name wrong. My first name. It's not even an uncommon one. I even fixed it in the first draft of the resume and he changed it back. :psyduck:

Should I say something? Is that rude? I don't know what the hell.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

rscott posted:

Funny part about all my fuckery is that it landed me an internship my junior year of high school doing IT work for the subcontractor that supported the school district, which is where I really cut my teeth as a help desk monkey.

I'm so jealous of stories about getting internships and stuff for loving with school computers. All I ever got was suspended indefinitely (I'm still not allowed on school property, even though I graduated 4 years ago), 24 hours community service, 2 years of probation, and a month in a "special" school where all the kids either cut themselves or drool uncontrollably. :(

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

modeski posted:

Well, you would insist on reading about Linux and changing the Windows 98 splash screen. Maybe that'll make you think twice about being a terrorist: colbert:

Sadly I bet that's not far off the truth.

Sent malformated packets to the Novell server with GASP. This caused the error logs to quickly fill up, and the network guy came to see what was going on - he brought the superintendent and a cop with him. He later testified before the judge that "[he] could hear the hard drives crashing." :rolleye:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

madmaan posted:

I hope you learned a valuable life lesson: DENY EVERYTHING, FEIGN IGNORANCE

My lawyer took the plea deal. Since I was a minor, I didn't even have to give consent for him to do it, either.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Whelp, just finished reading all 28,522 posts... Crap, now what am I going to do when I can't sleep?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Factory Factory posted:

Switch to "poo poo you come across daily that pisses you off..."?

already on it. I need a job. :smith:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

HalloKitty posted:

Jesus christ, that would have been soul crushing. I'm sure you needed a stout drink after..

The sad thing is that I'm jealous of the people in here. You guys have jobs in IT and I'm staring another year of factory work in the face. I just want a job with a chair. :(

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Migishu posted:

Welcome to IT, choose your addiction: Alcohol, weed, cigarettes, or a combination pack.

You forgot caffeine, but that's a forgone conclusion.

Factory Factory posted:

When you turn off a DisplayPort monitor, that shuts down the DP-DP link and Windows sees it as removing the monitor. DVI and VGA will keep the link alive (not in the sense of affirmatively acting to do so, but in the sense that screen detection is more rudimentary in those standards and mostly relies on "Is the cable plugged in on both ends?").

There seem to be a few bugs related to this and sleeping where the video card will lose connection with the EDID info on the monitor. This makes Windows dump settings down to 640x480 until you force a redetect, unlug/replug the monitor, or sometimes even until you reboot. But I can't say beyond this. AMD referred me to Dell for troubleshooting the monitor itself, and then Dell wanted two weeks to set up a fake order from their online store for me so they "could" honor my screen's warranty.

I switched to DVI. Love DP on my laptop, can't stand it for an always-there connection.

Really, you can't turn a DP monitor off without it loving things up? :what:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Ugh, I hate that website. It's designed to make suits think they know what they're talking about after they read it, but it's mostly just about stereotyping their employees and giving watered down tech news.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Cthulhuite posted:

Also, YOTJ sucks. I just got canned. :(

Where do you live? There are a couple goons looking to hire in this thread.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

AlexDeGruven posted:

Additionally, in the gun space, you never "Shoot to kill" when you shoot someone. That's a quick trip to jail, regardless of your or the other person's intent. You always "shoot to stop", which is aiming for the center of mass and the most effective way to stop someone doing ill (a side effect of "shoot to stop" is that it tends toward the fatal anyway, since most of the vital organs also reside in the center of mass of the human body).

This isn't true, at least in NY. You can only use a deadly weapon in self defense, and you never want to "shoot to stop" because that implies you weren't in real danger. You pretty much want to say "He pulled a knife, I freaked out and shot the first thing I could, which happened to be his face." That way, your self-defense story sticks. It's pretty retarded.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

coyo7e posted:

This is pretty loving creepy.

I'm assuming the owner is like 50 and his daughter is in college. Right? :smithicide:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

yeah invading someone's accounts is totally cool when it is a college babe. no fatties.

I'm trying to justify it it my head, but it's not working. Damnit, goons, why are you so creepy?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Factory Factory posted:

I think people jumped to the conclusion that her privacy was invaded, rather than somebody noting that a dumb kid had given her laptop to somebody without considering that she had left a private account filled with personal info logged in front and center.

It's that he mentioned she was hot. That's the creepy part.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Now you're just being obtuse.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

dvgrhl posted:

Windows Vista was banned for us to ever install :)

Why? :confused:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

dvgrhl posted:

IE6 dependency. I'm pretty sure the main issue was that our financial software required IE6 and there was no plans for supporting IE7 anytime soon from the vendor at that time.

Ah, so you're running IE6 in XP mode for those who need it and are on 7. Gotcha.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

HalloKitty posted:

Quite, but just in case you didn't know about this helpful little trick: shift right click a folder, open command window here

If it's on a unc path, then it automatically maps a drive before opening the command window, and disconnects it after you close

The downside to this is you can't get an elevated prompt this way. You can do it with a registry tweak, however: http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/113/1/How-to-open-an-elevated-Command-Prompt-from-the-folder-context-menu-in-Windows-Vista.html

Now, what I'd love to be able to do is make elevated command prompts default to a red background so I can tell the two apart.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Bobulus posted:

Having worked in food service, done support for companies that make food products, and having siblings who work in high-end food venues, I can pretty-much guarantee that this poo poo happens everywhere, we just all pretend it doesn't.

This. Everyone knows that restaurants are pretty universally revolting. Hell, I worked in a few. Did I still eat the food there on my breaks? You bet your sorry rear end.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Thel posted:

Even leaving aside the bit about the hospital, I pull out gloves and wipes any time I work on a computer that's been anywhere unknown.

That said I'm pretty sure my keyboard at home is probably one of the scungiest things known to man, so that probably makes me a hypocrite.

No, it only makes you a hypocrite if you demand that I work on your computer without gloves. Everyone's computer is disgusting (yes, everyone's), and using gloves is just smart.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Salt Fish posted:

Wow; thats really overly sensitive. There is nothing on a computer that is going to hurt you. If you wash your hands before each meal you are essentially 100% safe unless you are 100 years old, have AIDS, or an otherwise compromised immune system.

Have you ever kissed someone? Guess how many germs you ingested.

Have you ever smelled a flower? Guess how much plant sperm is in your nose.

Do you wash your hands after you go to the bathroom? Because I can't always wash my hands after I finish working on a computer. http://www.informationweek.com/news/hardware/peripherals/207501332

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

EvilMuppet posted:

The company I had an interview for last week that I thought I flubbed, just called with an offer. Just waiting on a reference check and I'm in :)

Congrats, year of the job and all that. I have an interview Thursday for a help desk job (My first real IT job). Lets hope it all goes as well as yours.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I had two interviews today, and the one I really wanted went very well. I'm waiting for a callback for a second interview. :)

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

Weird YOTJ for me...

Basically, my boss told me and my co worker to go out and get job offers for much more than we make now, so that he can pay us much more than we make now.

Policy says raises are basically impossible for us, but a retention bonus is easy-peazy.

This sucks because people are going to start you out at much less than you probably deserve and give you raises later when they find out you aren't poo poo at your job. Unless you're actually poo poo at your job. If you're only matching entry level wages for the position, what's the point?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Jedi425 posted:

Why would... why... what? :psyduck:

Why would he try to dodge work by staying at work? Tony's even terrible at being awful.

It's pretty obvious that he didn't want to actually do any work, but knew the CIO would rip him a new one if he wasn't there. Solution? Be there without being there! :downs:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Rohaq posted:

What's his suggestion then? Should you spend your time investigating something that's 99% likely to be user error, which only requires John to be told what to do for next time, then left, or does he want to spend hours on a wild goose chase looking for an error that doesn't exist?

If it's the latter, mark it as 'has resolved itself' (people have had no problems since, right?), and leave it.

"If it uses electricity, it's IT's fault" is a pretty popular line of reasoning. It helps other departments pass the buck, because nobody wants to admit anything. I doubt he'd have a suggestion about what to do, or even care, as long as it's not his department's fault.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

teethgrinder posted:

You know she means a headset to sync to her cellphone. You're just being difficult.

I'd still link her to the RFC, then play dumb. Just to be an rear end.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

ZeitGeits posted:

My coworkers and I only realized today that the hell is going on. Before that little meeting with the CEO and an admin from the main office we just assumed no one is interested in our input.

The rest of the company still has no idea what the hell we were forced to do in order to keep the systems here running but I'm ready to unleash the Kraken. We were ordered to bypass my boss and given the names of people responsible for the different technologies (AD, Exchange, Storage, etc.) They will have no idea what hit them.

Still: overworked, underappreciated me is now responsible for establishing and maintaining an information exchange between different regions across various projects. That's not my loving job. That's the whole loving reason for having a manager.

Look on the bright side - if you play your cards right, that could be your job.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

serewit posted:

While watching the All Ticket queue...

That'll be a fun one.

I'm not seeing it, what's wrong with that one?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

couldcareless posted:

No internet, no contact info. Good luck

Ah, that makes sense. I figured the ticket system would automatically get contact info. Unless that was put in by a T1 guy, in which case :psyduck:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

EvilMuppet posted:

Been at my new job for a week. Why would a company lie about what sort of duties a job will entail? I applies for a level 1 and 2 role not a level 0 callcenter tardbargelar job, gently caress you.

Back to the recruiters I guess.

Did they offer you a call center salary? If so, then why did you take the job?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Crowley posted:

This is the absolute truth. I'd much rather hire a certless guy who's been working with a specific technology for years and some cert holding PFY with no experience.

So tell me, what can a PFY do to get a job? I'm really crunching here, and all my interviews have fallen through (mostly with a call that goes "You interviewed very well, and you have an impressive resume, but we're just looking for someone with a bit more experience"). These are level 1 helpdesk support jobs.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Doctor Zero posted:

Get into an IT-based Temp agency. They just need bodies and if you can walk and chew gum at the same time and are willing to learn, they will probably find you something. Warning: it's going to be dumb poo poo with terrible hours at first, but that's the price of admission.

There are no IT based temp agencies that I know of in my area (Buffalo). The last time I went to a temp agency looking for an office job (text entry, receptionist, whatever), I spent the year doing temp factory work. Not trying to be an rear end or whatever, but it seriously seems hopeless. I've done pretty much everything I can think of to pad my resume - interned at CompUSA before they closed (they were literally the only company that would take me as an intern), set up and administrated servers for free for a friend's company, some other volunteer stuff, but I'm facing companies that want a Bachelor's degree and 2 years experience with A+ certs to reset passwords. Oh, and I can't move, since I'm getting married in a couple months.

I'm seriously thinking about just taking another career path, but I can't think of anything else I could break into.

Edit: Here's some examples:

http://tbe.taleo.net/NA8/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=EVANSNATIONALBANK&cws=1&rid=250
https://www.superiorjobs.com/jobdet...campaign=Indeed
http://seeker.dice.com/jobsearch/se...campaign=Indeed

:(

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Guy Axlerod posted:

I live in Rochester. I can think of a couple IT staffing companies that work in the area, even if they aren't exactly temp agencies as you would typically think of.

Can I shoot you an email or something?

Please do. [username]-at-gmail

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Rohaq posted:

:words:

I'm going to school for CS, but I'm out of money, and really don't want to go back to the factories. I've managed to get two 1 year certificates (network architecture and infosec) and all the tech classes I need for my associates in CS. I just need the liberal arts classes at this point.

Edit: I got your email. I'm at my inlaws' right now, but I'll shoot you my resume when I get home. Thanks for the help, goons are the best. :)

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

stubblyhead posted:

I strongly recommend the resume goon; he will rewrite the gently caress out of your resume. The amount of response I got from applications went way up after working with him for a while. It's only about $100, and worth every penny.

Already did. The resume he wrote was alright, but I wouldn't pay 100 bucks for it again.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Digital_Jesus posted:

So you're in Buffalo Eh ?

Wanna go grab a beer and commiserate ?

Only if it's at Pearl Street. :rubshands:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

CoronaX posted:

I always wonder the same thing he is actually a piece of poo poo that serves no purpose in life or work. Also, none of the females in our office can ever get along. We have gone thru at least two different female project managers and probably four female secretaries because they keep pissing off the same females. I've always said this place needs to be on a reality TV show.

Seems to me like you're getting rid of the wrong females.