Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Jelmylicious
Dec 6, 2007
Buy Dr. Quack's miracle juice! Now with patented H-twenty!

Lurchington posted:

I assumed he meant to say analysis but spaced out.

Obviously he both diagnosed and analysed. When you do both, you don't have time left over to type them both out, so you have to cut corners somewhere...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jelmylicious
Dec 6, 2007

Syano posted:

What do you guys do with tickets that never get responses? I'm about 5 minutes from just closing about 10 tickets that are open in the system that we cant get resolution on because the end user refuses to respond.

I just close the ticket with the request that, if the problem still exists, please reopen the ticket and include a time and date that they can be reached. (And for trouble users, ask the date to be at least 24 hours after the date they send the mail.) Normally, they do include a time then, and it is on their terms. If they aren't available again, it is an immediate close.

Jelmylicious fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jun 8, 2010

Jelmylicious
Dec 6, 2007

Stonefish posted:

321 pages. That was some pretty good entertainment for the last month.
I'm employed in the field again, so I'll see what kind of crazy poo poo I can dig up to post.

There's a surprising lack of hatred for ITIL here. From the hints I get, it should be great for these kind of stories. Anyone got any experience with it?

But, there is ITIL and then there is the stuff some people think is ITIL. Most of the bad stuff is people that don't think that ITIL is a means to an end, but an end in itself. That don't think to have any rules made for ITIL should be set in stone and not necesarily reflect reality or practicality. One of the first things I learned about ITIL: these are guidelines to make cooperation and reporting better. guidelines, not the ten commandments.

Jelmylicious fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jun 15, 2010

Jelmylicious
Dec 6, 2007

Bardlebee posted:

I am trying to figure out a good backup strategy, would VSS be compared to Norton Ghost? Or is that just for imaging? Can someone direct me to a solid provider of VSS or is it in itself a product?

VSS is built into windows and is only a backup solution for user gently caress ups. Don't rely on it for anything else. Ghost is only for imaging. I can't recommend you a good back up software though, sorry.

Jelmylicious
Dec 6, 2007

Rohaq posted:

When I did ADSL tech support, when it came to getting a call from a person who didn't know anything, and getting a call from someone who was in IT or CCNA/MCSE/whatever certified, I would rather take the former calls, every time.

Well, probably the non arrogant certified people won't be telling you they are certified, which will skew the bias.

Jelmylicious
Dec 6, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

That's the lazy man's approach to quota problems but it doesn't completely bugger the whole concept of having a quota system in place. TRY AGAIN!

EDIT: Bangers won. Trouble with a user and email quotas? SHITCAN THE QUOTA!

Aww, I would have gone for: "Restart the exchange server" or "Go home early". Now he actually fixed the problem in the users eyes....

Jelmylicious
Dec 6, 2007

Midelne posted:

Every single time this happens it is one of the following causes, in reverse order of frequency:

• User-defined sorting rule being applied too broadly.
  • Local spam filter plugin, like Spambayes, is dumping incoming mail into a different folder than anticipated.
  • User sorted their Inbox by something like Category or Importance and says "not in my Inbox" when they mean "I didn't bother looking anywhere but the top of the page".

I had a "my email comes in a day late" a while back. It was that she had folded today's e-mail closed, in outlook 2007.

Jelmylicious
Dec 6, 2007

Knormal posted:

Today I got one of the infamous "I know it's 5:10 but this person needs a laptop to use for the next four weeks starting tomorrow at 8:00" requests. But the weird part is, we had a laptop that had just come back from being repaired, and had just been reimaged, sitting in our storeroom ready to go. I don't trust it, it was too easy. I'm pretty sure at 8:10 tomorrow the laptop's going to catch on fire or something.

Even if I had that laptop ready, I would not deliver it on time. It would only mean that next time they will complain. "But you could do it last month, why can't you do it now?"

At least wait untill 10 or 11 a.m. Not much time lost for the new guy (time normally spent getting to know coworkers a bit), but enough to make the manager sweat a little.

Jelmylicious
Dec 6, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

It seems to me that once you've used up your sick time you're out of sick time

This notion of running out of sick time is very alien to me. My company takes the first day of sick time from my days off, any subsequent days are "free". To encourage you to go working again, but not punish you for getting sick again, any time you stay at home sick again from the last day you did that, you go straight into the free days.

Jelmylicious
Dec 6, 2007

Fox_Spy posted:

A post came in on Facebook...

First, there's some logical issues with this, like if just having an infected friend results in you getting infected, we're all screwed. Second, I decided to check Snopes and not just take their word for it. Snopes confirms that there is a koobface, but it spreads via video links and this variant is a hoax. Somehow, I'm foreseeing a bunch of "I loaded Facebook and now my internet is slow/computer crashed, I saw this Koobface post and I think I have it." With a resolution of "Get off Farmville" or "Turn off the 5 streaming radio sites".

Just tell them Farmville is infected and they should stay away... Or use this as an excuse to block facebook.

Jelmylicious
Dec 6, 2007

Rohaq posted:

I loving hated 'experts', 'IT professionals', or anyone who said 'I have an MCSE!' when I did Tier 1.

Anyone who recognizes that you have a script to follow and will help you out by humouring your managers, will also not be pointing out their credentials. People flying off the cuff shouting out their certs probably need those certs to, uhm, compensate for something.

Jelmylicious
Dec 6, 2007

Nerobro posted:

At least the cables are "sorta loose." Nothing like a bound tight rats nest, 12 cables deep, and obviously hanging from connectors somewhere.

Did someone say hanging?

Click here for the full 976x1400 image.

Jelmylicious
Dec 6, 2007

Moey posted:

Someone didn't feel like using that nice open slot in the rack right behind it?

One of the switches died and someone* replaced it as fast as he could.... No time to screw or unscrew anything! Production is suffering! (This is a library)
Also, this is one of those closets that also have a hinge in the back. Somehow, the back couldn't close anymore, resulting in the glassfibre modem to lose power every now and then.

Hey, at least I got to take down the network and clean everything up because of this.

*my manager :ssh:

Jelmylicious
Dec 6, 2007

Bardlebee posted:

With that said I always use to many commas. :)

And not enough o's

Jelmylicious
Dec 6, 2007
If you do an IPconfig /all, it should show you:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : MyDomain.com

As said before, dns lookups will append that if they don't know the single word.

Jelmylicious
Dec 6, 2007
Apart from vampires being gay, homosexuals are excluded from giving blood because they are a "high risk group" or something.

That policy made me not want to give blood.

Jelmylicious
Dec 6, 2007

Lord Byron III posted:

^^^^^^^ I get this exact call from 0-4 users per day (in international tech support units I believe 4 users equates to one drink).

Don't forget you always round up (way up)

Jelmylicious
Dec 6, 2007

peak debt posted:

That will not include local policy, so if they did some weird things like create a local security policy then made an image off that you won't see it. You can log on to a computer as that user, then run "rsop.msc" to get the local policies too.

And if you want the actual registry settings being changed: run "gpresult /z" on the client (don't forget to output it to a text file, because it will be longer than the cmd buffer)

Jelmylicious
Dec 6, 2007

Factory Factory posted:

Start -> type "network connections"
Less characters and works for every version of windows (xp and up)
Start -> ncpa.cpl -> enter

Jelmylicious
Dec 6, 2007

Anjow posted:

Virtually no tickets came in today so I devised the game of "Pluck the Tail from the Donkey", almost the inverse of the children's party game.

Create a picture of a donkey with a cat6/RJ45 tail. Place said picture somewhere on the data floor. Send the player in, blindfolded, and tell them to pluck the tail from the donkey.

You should hang it next to the patch pannels, for added thrill!

Jelmylicious
Dec 6, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

Resolution: turned computer on.

"It was like this when we came in this morning!"

The turning on part I don't mind, because the previous chucklefucks stuck this thing below the desk way in the back where a 70 year old women is never going to be able to climb back there to turn it on.

But "cable not connected." Did you just make that poo poo up? Do you assume I'm to loving stupid to realize that a turned off computer displays no message? Or did you gently caress around with it and turn it off because it made a horrible screeching sound? Once again do you think I'm an idiot?

or they turned on the monitor which gave them a brief message saying it's not receiving any signal.

e:fb

Jelmylicious
Dec 6, 2007

Lysandus posted:

It's Obama's fault the subnet ran out of IPs.

Yeah, the government control on the boundaries of subnets is just too strict. We need less government! (Or alternatively, Obama should have pushed for faster IPv6 adoption, we would not have this subnet problem then! Need more Government!)

Jelmylicious
Dec 6, 2007
You could also disable USB mass storage for normal users and enable for admins.

Jelmylicious
Dec 6, 2007

Moey posted:

Orrrrr they are fattening me up to make Moey stew come 2012.

Nah, they just want you to bulk up for the big move. You will need the energy.

Jelmylicious
Dec 6, 2007

Mr. Wedenhart posted:

Is there a way to accidentally turn this off? Because it's not working for my desktop.

If you turned off the snap feature (in Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Ease of Access Center\Make the mouse easier to use, select Precent Windows from being automatically arranged when moved to the edge of the screen), then the short cuts won't work. Might be other ways to turn it of. Can you maximise by dragging a window to the top of your screen?

Jelmylicious
Dec 6, 2007

underlig posted:

I'm bad at explaining,
the issue was a font, or some component (i have no idea what), in the signature the old user had (in outlook 2007).
She forwarded the signature to the new user who set it up in outlook 2010 but only used it for new emails, not replies.

Outlook 2010 displayed the signature perfectly when reading an email but as soon as she created a new one outlook would crash. I have no idea what the difference between displaying it in "reader"-mode or in "writer"-mode would be.

"Writer" mode is probably using word, and word could be the one crashing.

Jelmylicious
Dec 6, 2007

tjl posted:

I wouldn't even know where to begin if I was going to try and make a swappable machine though.

Step 1: Make an image of that machine!

Jelmylicious
Dec 6, 2007

Biowarfare posted:

edit: actually, why not just use a SPF record..

An SPF record is a txt record, just one with a specific syntax.

Jelmylicious
Dec 6, 2007

blackswordca posted:

to be honest, the engineering path can only get you so far, the management path has the possibility of getting you higher up in the company and with that more money.

The more important question, though, is: which do you enjoy more?

Jelmylicious
Dec 6, 2007

Nobody would suspect a teddybear!!!

Jelmylicious
Dec 6, 2007

babies havin rabies posted:

They become .msg files. IIRC, Office Outlook can't open .emls easily, but Outlook Express can :psyduck:

Word can open .eml files.

Jelmylicious
Dec 6, 2007
I think the part in Dunning-Kruger everyone is alluding to, is this quote from that wikipedia article:

quote:

Actual competence may weaken self-confidence, as competent individuals may falsely assume that others have an equivalent understanding.

Jelmylicious
Dec 6, 2007

spankmeister posted:

I've seen this before, do you use Link Aggregation? The load balancing for that divides the network traffic over the different links like that.

Link aggregation uses an XOR operation on the last few bits of the source and destination addresses. Depending on the amount of links, it uses more or less bits. Could use IP, MAC or port for that. That might give you a place to look. Default balancing is by IP.

Jelmylicious
Dec 6, 2007

AlexDeGruven posted:

An email came in:

Chiller failure in secondary/DR machine room. Temps are rising about 5F/hour in the room, so we're starting to make plans for failover/LPM moves for production stuff that's running there (not much).

Also, it's 0F outside right now, and that room has external doors. So, you know, we could just park a couple of big fans in front of the open doors and have the room down well below regular operating temps. But nobody's thought of that yet. Well, nobody who has any clout, as that's the discussions I've been having in multiple Lync windows with multiple non-management people.

Don't forget that hardware also has a minimum operating temperature, so don't get the temp too low. And even worse than extended heat is a sudden change in temperature. So, be careful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jelmylicious
Dec 6, 2007

Crowley posted:

I'm far too polite to do that. "When would you like me to return the hundreds of iPhone 5s I just bought from you?"

They're "look at the problem" now.

People are standing next to my desk right now and discussing how to run the prompter in the automated studios. With only the presenter in the studio - and everything else automated - it has turned out to be a problem to get the prompter running at the right speed. Normally the presenters control the prompters with pedals, but now it's fashionable to have presenters standing up and walking around in the studio so pedals are useless. We've tried some speech recognition software but it's just not working correctly. As a joke I suggested they stuck a pedal between the presenter's buttocks, and now they are seriously contemplating it.. well semi-seriously. Anyone have any suggestions?

It might be too far away to do reliable eye-tracking. Not that I am an expert at it, but I saw a demonstration of it at a technology fair a few years back. It was very wierd that the line you are reading is always in the middle of the screen. I also wouldn't know how you would do it when switching cameras/prompters.
Alternatively, maybe a small analog joystick in one hand?

e: I think it was one of these: http://www.idmt.fraunhofer.de/en/Service_Offerings/technologies/e_h/eye-tracker.html