Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Best ticket title I have seen today:

"Cannot not send"

Wait, what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Sergeant Rock posted:

SOMEONE HELP ME I CAN'T STOP EMAILING

Exactly what I thought of. I love it when they either re-write the ticket so many times they mess it up like this, or better yet when it is just a flat out dumbass move.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Sergeant Rock posted:

Pineapples are traditionally the zeros in the DominosFS system. Don't you know anything about open-sauce?

HAHA well played.

To contribute:

Title - Mail being mis-delivered to another domain

Solution - auto-complete in sender's Outlook caused mail to be delivered to someone else with the same first name at another domain.

*sigh*

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

sm8000 posted:

My boss decided to remote into a client's mail server this morning and check on disk space usage, since they are too cheap to upgrade their tape drive.

He found one user with eight "delivery returned" emails in her inbox.

Each of those eight emails was between 370 and 511MB.

After speaking with the client, he capped the max email size to 100MB per their request.

Wow. I sure don't miss residential support at all, we used to limit our attachments to 10mb and people would bitch when they couldn't get those photo gallery forwards that had 20+ mb of pictures on them.

(Of course, this was when our mailbox for those users was capped at 200mb, so that was pretty funny in and of itself!)

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

JazzmasterCurious posted:

I've never seen a Bluetooth implementation that's just working under XP or Vista, ever. And I've tried most cards / keyboard setups out there. I think someone earlier in the thread said pretty much the same thing. Manufacturers of Bluetooth equipment (especially the USB dongles) just don't know how to write a decent driver for their stuff. It can be the most reputable supplier of USB stuff or other computer equipment ever; their Bluetooth stuff will still suck no matter what.

I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 that I used to tether with my Qwest (Sprint rebranded) cellular phone via bluetooth with no problems what so ever. Used it all the time as a modem at EVDO speed, and it worked great. Sadly, Qwest no longer does cell phones, I miss the $10 data plan.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

All these have brought my worst help desk story back to mind. I used to work for Walt Disney Internet Group in Seattle as a Systems Engineer - an internal Help Desk guy. Great job, we played Half Life at lunch all the time.

We had visitors from ESPN.com, Executive VPs and their Admins. One of the Admins called complaining that she couldn't get VPN connectivity to the Exchange Server in Bristol with the VP's Windows 2000 laptop. I had her come up to my desk, fixed it with a couple of system changes, verified it was working and sent her on her way. Not five minutes went by and she called saying she couldn't connect again. She came back up, and all the settings that I modified were changed back. No big deal, I fixed it again and she left for the visitor office. She calls immediately again saying it was broken again, and didn't have time for this. I went down and fixed it for a third time, and everything was great. When I went to lunch, it glitched again and one of my co-workers had to go resolve it in another conference room, and he was able to quickly since I had vented to him about fixing it multiple times.

Later on in the afternoon, I got a call again about the laptop. I went down and again changed everything, and mail was flowing. The admin went to a meeting and spectacularly it was hosed up again. I went and fixed it at the end of the meeting. She shut down, and I walked with her back to the visitor office to make sure everything was still going to work. While she restarted the laptop, I watched as she impatiently pushed the space bar for the Last Known Good profile, blowing away all the changes I had made for the umpteenth time. I managed to keep a straight face as I changed the laptop again, rebooted it while restraining her from the space bar, and all was well.

The best part was, the VP came in and yelled at my co-worker for a good half hour because of our 'incompetence', which was actually his assistant's impatience.

tl;dr: Last Known Good messed up new settings multiple times for impatient user.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Came into our Support Queue today:

"as a real estate broker i use olr , SO I NEED TO KNOW WHAT TO DO TO BE ABLE TO LINK THEIR DATA TO MY WEB SITE"

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

This one came in today. This is the entire request:

quote:

Please modify MX record to smtp.blah-blah.net

Regards,

blah blah MCSE
Sr. Systems Administrator

Um, ok. To what, brainiac?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

rolleyes posted:

Given that it's posted in here there has to be more to it than that. Like, as you say, the guy has more than one MX or more than one domain, or hasn't specified what the modification he wants actually is.

This was why I posted it. The message I put in was exactly what he sent in. They have a block of IP addresses, and they didn't specify anything beyond "Please modify MX record to smtp.blah-blah.net" at all.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Accipiter posted:

The Senior Systems Administrator for COMPANY requested that the MX record be changed to SMTP.COMPANY.COM.

If you can't figure out that he's asking you to chance the MX record for the company.com domain to point to smtp.company.com, you're a huge moron. Otherwise, you're leaving something out of the story.

Nope, you are just reading too much into it. What I posted was the entire request. There was an existing record, and he emailed in requesting a change. One of the support techs responded and he sheepishly added the IP that he wanted it changed to.

Everyone else thought it was funny, sorry that you don't.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

nene posted:

I personally find requests like the "MX record" change annoying, this is mostly because places I work will have several zillion domains under it's control, which may or may not have an MX record that points to smtp.company.com or smtp.domain.com. Any ticket that requires a degree of clairvoyance is open to piss-taking in my eye.

However in this case ...

I think I should point out that MX records can't point to IP addresses. Did he mean he wanted the A record for smtp.whatever changed?

Sorry, I don't work in that dept and it's obvious. You are correct, and I see why it was not clear. He wanted the A record changed. Sorry for the confusion.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

HatfulOfHollow posted:

This thread isn't all help desk. I'm a NOC engineer and I still have to handle tickets on occasion. The problem isn't that the posters in this thread believe they are so over-qualified it's that end-users continue to amaze us. And that's end users at any level.

For every ticket I get that looks like this:

we get one of these:

Or occasionally we get these requests from developers or QA:

I know they're asking for LDAP access to a server but the ticket makes no loving sense.

Are you me? I could have written this post. I work in the NOC as well, we cover the support queues after hours. It is amazing some of the stuff we see. Last night I saw a ticket from a residential user who was complaining that he cannot send a 'small distribution list email' a couple of times a year. He wants to be able to send this PDF via email to 500+ people on the BCC field and not run into the anti-spam measures we have in place. Um, no.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

We got this one this weekend:

quote:

datestamp: 2009-05-30 10:18 am
Full Name: [redacted]
Company:
Email: [redacted]
Phone:
Subject: Forced password change
Comments: I would greatly appreciate it if you would remove the periodic notice requiring me to change my password. I don't want to change my password and it just causes me to have to take extra time to change it and then change it back. If I want to change my password I will decide when.

Sure, we'll change that just for you!

Sadly, I will be taking more of these now. Our NOC where I work now is merging with our Support Department, so I presume I will be doing more ticket management along with the provisioning and server management I already do.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Delicious Sci Fi posted:

I have spent half the day on the phone with some jackass who is over at my boss's house trying to set up DSL along with a whole bunch of phones and a new fax machine. Whenever the fax machine gets used it drops the internet connection. I don't know anything about DSL, how to hook up a fax properly to it (though I googled it and read up on something called double filtering). How did I get involved in this? well to test to see if everything works they remoted in through the VPN. Since that connection got dropped it must have something to do with the VPN not playing nice with fax machine (wft). I had the guy stream some music and it got cut off by the fax machine and he admits when a fax comes in the modem lights turn off for the length of the fax. He is still insisting it has something to do with the VPN here at work. As I type the guy is talking about how Norton is picking up something suspicious and that might be the problem. I think this guy is an idiot.

This reads like nightmare calls I used to take about dial up and call waiting modems. gently caress that.

fake edit: /\/\/\ Yeah, filters.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Weiz posted:

I don't know if this grade of horrible goes out to our customers, but we have this guy on the helpdesk who writes so poorly he often ends up in peoples spam/trash. Below is an actual paste of an email he sent my group.

Is his name Randal? If it is, I am so sorry. This was the guy that I used to work with who misspelled our domain name when sending the URL to customers for web mail. The same guy who wrote an article titled, "Grammer for fun," (just like that) which was completely full of incorrect grammatical facts. He had no idea on how capitalization or punctuation worked.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Mill Town posted:

Please tell me you have a copy of this article. I must read it.

I'll see if I can find it. I think it was deleted when he left the company to become an 'Open Source Consultant.'

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

kensei posted:

I'll see if I can find it. I think it was deleted when he left the company to become an 'Open Source Consultant.'

Yeah, it got deleted. Bummer, it was pretty funny. Here is an email he sent to a client:

quote:

The following accounts are now web-enabled.
sman@xyz.com, jrot@xyz.com, jboe@xyz.com, and sshe@xyz.com

You can get the email from:
http://webmail.misspelledurl.com

Also, to continue getting email from outlook, you will need to set SSL to “On” for
incoming email,
Call or chat if you have questions about this.

Randal

This was the exact email, formatting and all. I only changed the domain names. This was the one where he sent the customer the misspelled URL for web mail. The best part was, in order to use the web mail access, they would have to had enabled SSL in their mail client as he mentioned in the email. The problem was, he had already converted the accounts and he didn't tell them before hand that they needed to use SSL in their mail client. So he sent them an email they were not able to receive, with an incorrect URL in it. Awesome.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

quote:

What is the prefix to dial america from germany? I am not sure what criteria are important. Can you please guide me.
Please point me in the right direction. I really appreciate your help.

We are not a telco, and this came from a random gmail address that doesn't belong to one of our customers. Someone else responded before I got my lmgtfy in.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Came into our support queue:

I think my favorite part is how they didn't notice that their text was reversed at the end, "The sender says it's an issue with my server. Help."

Full Name: Customer
Company: BLAHBLAH
Email: Customer@BLAHBLAH.org
Phone: 888.555.1212
Subject: email
Comments: When I receive email through your server addressed to Customer@BLAHBLAH.org and read through the Outlook Web Access viewer and received from one particular party the test looks like this:
ℼ佄呃偙⁅呈䱍倠䉕䥌⁃ⴢ⼯㍗⽃䐯䑔䠠䵔⁌⸴‰牔湡楳楴湯污⼯久㸢਍䠼䵔⁌浸湬㩳‽產湲猺档浥獡洭捩潲潳瑦挭浯漺晦捩㩥景楦散•浸湬㩳瑳‱‽਍產湲猺档浥獡洭捩潲潳瑦挭浯漺晦捩㩥浳牡瑴条≳㰾䕈䑁ാ㰊䕍䅔挠湯整瑮∽整瑸栯浴㭬挠慨獲瑥甽楮潣敤•瑨灴攭畱癩䌽湯整瑮吭灹㹥਍䴼呅⁁慮敭䜽久剅呁剏挠湯整瑮∽ 卍呈䱍㠠〮⸰〶㄰ㄮ㜸㌸㸢⼼䕈䑁ാ㰊佂奄ാ㰊䥄㹖匼剔乏㹇䘼乏⁔楳敺㐽䐾慥⁲楊Ɑ⼼但呎㰾匯剔乏㹇⼼䥄㹖਍䐼噉㰾呓佒䝎㰾匯剔乏㹇䘼乏⁔楳敺㐽㰾䘯乏㹔渦獢㭰⼼䥄㹖਍䐼噉㰾但呎猠穩㵥㸴਍䐼噉㰾但呎猠穩㵥㸴匼剔乏㹇效敲椠⁳⁡桳牯⁴敲業摮牥漠⁦桴⁥潌潹慬洠汩獥潴敮⁳਍畤楲杮琠敨渠硥⁴敳敶慤獹‮⼼呓佒䝎㰾䘯乏㹔⼼䥄㹖਍䐼噉㰾但呎猠穩㵥㸴⼼但呎☾扮灳㰻䐯噉ാ㰊䥄㹖匼剔乏㹇䘼乏⁔楳敺㐽圾
⁥污湫睯栠睯朠潯⁤瑩洠歡獥甠⁳敦汥琠慨敶漠牵ഠ昊汥潬⁷潌潹慬洠浥敢獲挠汥扥慲整漠牵朠潲瑷♨扮灳愻⼼但呎㰾但呎猠穩㵥㸴摮瀠潲牧獥⁳਍楷桴甠ⱳ猠 敨敲猧愠栠汥晰汵栠慥獤甭⹰渦獢㭰㰠䘯乏㹔䘼乏⁔楳敺㐽夾畯ഠ挊湡渦獢㭰汣捩湯愠瀠牥潳❮⁳ⵥ慭汩愠摤敲獳愠摮椠⁴楷汬愠瑵浯瑡捩污祬漠数਍潹牵渦獢㭰ⵥ慭汩☮扮灳☻扮灳☻扮灳㰻䘯乏㹔⼼呓佒䝎㰾䐯噉ാ㰊䥄㹖匼剔乏㹇䘼乏⁔楳敺㐽㰾䘯乏㹔䘼乏⁔潣潬㵲昣て〰‰਍楳敺㐽㰾䘯乏㹔⼼呓佒䝎☾扮灳㰻䐯噉ാ 㰊䥄㹖䘼乏⁔潣潬㵲昣て〰‰楳敺㐽㰾呓佒䝎圾敨敮敶⁲湯⁥景甠⁳畳捣敥獤‬敷愠汬ഠ猊捵散摥‮⼼呓佒䝎㰾䘯乏㹔⼼䥄㹖਍䐼噉㰾

The sender says it's an issue with my server. Help.

kensei fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jul 15, 2009

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

EoRaptor posted:

I can tell you exactly what causes this to happen, though it's pretty useless, as it can't always be fixed.

Please do, as our support guys are trying to figure it out. Supposedly, this email was sent to a bunch of users and this guy is the only one it happened to display this way for.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

gibbed posted:

Looks like an encoding issue, not to mention the "The sender says it's an issue with my server. Help." isn't actually backwards, but is reversed due to a unicode character that reverses text like that.

Cool, that was the path they were looking at. And you are right, it isn't backwards.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Arsten posted:

When I worked retail (eons ago), I never got this. I'd have $10,000 cash in my drawer, and there'd be less than 5 cents missing, and it would immediately be brought up to the store manager like I was stealing a nickel every drat time, instead of miscounting a few cents at hour eight of my nine-hour day.

When I left, the store manager left me in his office with my personnel file while he was out doing something else, and I leafed through it. It had a record of every single time my drawer was off. In the two years-ish I worked there, I had been off a total of $1.78 (off, that's not negative, that's my drawer was short or over in any amount).

What really floored me is that he said because of this $1.78, I was being marked as not eligible to be rehired by that company. I literally looked at him like he was loving a rabid tarantula in my presence.

A DOLLAR AND SEVENTY-EIGHT CENTS cost me any future career I might have wanted there. I can only imagine someone whipping out a personnel file and going "So you have all the qualifications to get promoted to manag....oh. wait. You've been off by $3 in the 15 years you've worked here. I'm sorry, we can't promote someone so reckless. You'll just have to stay where you are." Like, seriously, you can't take any variance at all, ever? Ever?

drat, that's harsh. When I worked at Fred Meyer (Kroger) they wouldn't care for less than $5.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

coyo7e posted:

This woman is batshit. I'm afraid to call her and talk over the phone - it'd just be a series of really really passive statements, and long uncomfortable silences.

If I didn't know better, I would swear that you worked with my mother in law. This is exactly how she asked me to come over and fix her lack of sound on her computer. (The speakers were unplugged...)

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

coyo7e posted:

Does she work/live in Newport? This is one of the prizewinners who works with DOC over on the coast.

Nah, she is unemployed. But when she was working, this is the kind of thing she would have done.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

One of our developers sent an email to a bunch of our customers telling them that we were canceling the mailbox if they didn't respond because our records showed it wasn't in use. He basically queried for 'If they have not used POP in 30 days' OR 'If they have not used web mail in 30 days' OR 'If there is no mail on the server' and sent the message directly from the results.

The problem? He used OR not AND so almost all the residential accounts were flagged and sent the email.

Moments after the email went out, the responses began coming in via email and phone. There was an apology sent, which opened the door for "Since you emailed me, I remembered I wanted to ask about..." messages. Awesome.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Lum posted:

Have you replied yet. People like that are worth trolling.

Maybe send the resulting exchange to emailsfromcrazypeople.com

I had never seen this website before. Thank you for brightening my morning.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

coyo7e posted:

We have 5 HP 3800 color printers, which all see roughly the same amount of use. Then there's the one in the Latino grant's wing, which somehow does 5-6 times the number of prints in a given period, as any other color printer in our buildings. I checked the usage page the other day because I had a sneaking suspicion that they were going through a lot of yellow cartridges, and was floored to see that they've got 5.7% yellow coverage, per page. And only yellow, the other cartridges are all at 1.5%-2.5% coverage, and every other color printer is at the same usage for all color levels. Even our large, prooduction-scale color printer which is used by our graphics dude to print out posters and stuff on request for grants, is well below 3% coverage on every cartridge, and it's ONLY used for large color printouts.

How and why are they covering 1/20th of every printed page (on average) with yellow? I know for a fact it's not highlighted lines in word printouts (which our admin people do constantly to large large text documents, and they're at 2.2% yellow coverage).

Background for email? Got any users that have an obnoxious stationary with a lot of yellow as their default?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Drighton posted:

Today is the day they are supposed to reattempt the turn-up/port. The same guy is out of town again, his phone has no signal, and I'm to take over. :ohdear:

That guy seems pretty smart for some reason...

A friend is the IT person for a small construction company and recently ported from Verizon to Nextel. Their numbers worked on Thursday night, then stopped on Friday. The whole company - about 75 people - were unable to communicate via cell phones. That sucked. It was fixed on Monday afternoon, and they got some sweet compensation.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Phuzion posted:

Phone run around.

When I worked for Qwest, we told residential users to turn on a sprinkler so the tech could isolate the bad wire. This happened a lot in Arizona where the cable would get super hot and crack, then when the rain came it shorted out. Inevitably the cable would be dry when the tech came out.

Is there any indication of frayed cable near the interface where the wire gets to the building? Is there a way you can wet the entire parking lot the next time the tech is due out?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

When I worked for Entex on the Microsoft campus, I was an internal help desk lead. I wrote a knowledge base article for the ID10T virus based on an April Fools mail that went out and got it published by my supervisor.

I think the ticketing system was Siebel, I wonder if it has been purged or changed by now.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

xarph posted:

not a ticket per se, but I'm apparently going to spend my tuesday in a white shirt, slacks, and tie. My job will be to sit in a room that cost $300,000 to convert to a fake "state of the art NOC." I will pretend to look busy in front of a grid of eight 52" plasma displays that show meaningless graphs and play pre-recorded screencast video of people doing real work in our products.

This will last for forty minutes while some overseas auditors get a tour of our data center to see how we've been controlling expenditures.

The depressing part is that this gambit will probably work.

HAHAHA

I work in a NOC, and get to also dabble in all sorts of other things - provisioning, server builds, etc. We have a NOC primarily for the sales people to show prospective customers. I could do my job from the support area, but we have a show piece NOC with three 52" LCDs (soon to be six).

At least I don't have to wear a tie.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Farking Bastage posted:

Would that happen to be Numara Footprints? That is one horrid sack of poo poo. We always called it Fuckprints.

We run FootPrints. I hate it. One of the admins was showing me the old program - RT - and it seemed so much more smooth. Then again, we have all sorts of crap crammed into FootPrints that likely should not be there, I am not sure it is all on the program.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

UserNotFound posted:

I have no idea what Ulillillia is. I can assure you that while the conversation as a whole is paraphrased, his unbelievable response is copied verbatim from a real support ticket.

Ulillillia is amazing.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Half the walls in our NOC are windows. It's pretty cool, except all you can see is the business park.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

krylex posted:

Yeah, it's an MRI version 5.1. If it was anything other than just a burned cd with that written on it, I might actually take it back.

I would be interested in knowing what all they use there for diagnostics. Would you be willing to list what all is on the CD?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

We are NOT ATT

quote:

The other day my ATT.net provider set me up to receive emails on outlook express at Google. I am trying to find out where I go to open my emails from my cousin who sends through Outlook Express. Please help me. Thank you so much.

We are an ISP, but this did not come from an address that we support in any way shape or form.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Midelne posted:

I'm picturing someone going to AOL's homepage and typing in NEED HELP WITH EMAIL and clicking randomly until they found your support address.

I am pretty sure that is what happened. The response was a polite, 'We are not ATT support, sorry,' with a lot of :lol: in the support area.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Farking Bastage posted:

THe good old three contact rule. 2 voicemails + an email on three different days + no response = close that fucker.

Our ticketing system - FootPrints - allows for an AutoClose feature. If it sits in Customer status for three days, it automatically closes and sends the customer an email. A reply will reopen it. It works pretty well, to be honest.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Farking Bastage posted:

^^ Yuengling is tough to beat too.

My last employer used footprints. I used to call it fuckprints. You don't happen to work for a rather large chain restaraunt franchiser do you?

Haha no, I work for an ISP. I agree with the FuckPrints sentiment however. We use it for all sorts of things it should not be used for, like our provisioning process. And we have it connected to GoldMine for contact management, which can die in a fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

MA-Horus posted:

Just a question

Would you fine IT Gentlemen consider a 3-week outage on a email server which provides email for the entire customer base of an ISP around christmas time "acceptable downtime?"

Because I want to stab and murder anyone who does.

Oh god, that sucks. In house or vendor?