Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Unskilled Labour posted:

I was trying to troubleshoot a client's monitor and had connected to the PC via Remote Desktop, just to see that it was turned on (yes, to see if the PC was turned on, some of our clients are that stupid) and to check Device Manager.

The site had logged a previous case a few days earlier and the issue was resolved by reseating the monitor power cable. I asked the client to reseat the monitor power cable where it plugs into the monitor and lost my connection to the site. I explained that I needed them to reseat the monitor power, not shutdown the PC by pulling it's cable. The guy denied doing anything of the sort.

I reconnect a few minutes later and check systeminfo, sure enough, the uptime is 4 minutes.
Asking somebody over the phone to touch cables is dangerous territory. I've generally found that you've got about a 50% of them actually doing what you want, and you can increase your odds to around 75% if you're personally familiar with the layout (including cable colors, placement and direction of everything on their desk).

My favorite was trying to work with somebody over the phone on troubleshooting a loving Dymo LabelWriter (why the gently caress do we keep selling them!). In the end, the poor woman was so confused she had pretty much just given up and requested that I come on site (billable time).

When I got there, the USB connector was jammed into the serial (looked like RJ45) connector end of the the label printer, and the power cord was laying on the floor unplugged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

sm8000 posted:

I once asked somebody to unplug their network cable and sure enough, they unplugged the PC's power cable.
Which one is the network cable? Is it the grey one?

Sometimes I luck out and somebody says yellow or blue, which is usually the cat5, but even then it could just be an oddly colored USB cable.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

sm8000 posted:

Actually, that is how I described it to her. In one ear, out the other.
Yeah, that's usually my experience. It doesn't matter how simply I describe it, computers are scary and nobody knows what I'm talking about.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

ab0z posted:

p.s. Never go to ITT, I only went for convenience and I regret it.
I agree with this assessment. Although they did get me my first (and current) job. I'm thinking of going back to school for a 4 year degree and I'm basically going to have to take everything from scratch because credits don't transfer from ITT. :sigh:

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Hoppy posted:

A user told me her new windows password, after I reset it. This meant I had to reset it again and give her a slap on the wrist, no big deal. But I'm trying to figure out if the password she selected is stupid, or genius:

Zxcvbnm.,/

What's so special about that? Try putting you finger on the left shift, then dragging it across to the other shift. It's long enough and complex enough... I just don't know if it's genius or stupid.

(this user did tell me the password, so probably not genius)
I'm pretty sure the Sprint store employees when I bought my phone all had a PIN number of 7410, because on more than one occasion I watched them slide their finger straight down the number pad and hit enter.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Beary Mancrush posted:

Ugh. Yup, you're in sales in a remote office in bumfuck, AZ. I'm not adding "emails to your apple iphone". Don't keep asking me when I'm going to "upgrade the server to IMAPs". You'll get OWA if you're lucky. :smug:
We've been getting a lot of doctors lately demanding to be able to access their patients' medical records from anywhere on earth, including but not limited to their $3000 Apple notebooks and iPhones (hint: the medical software runs in Windows).

With what they want to spend (nothing), there really aren't a lot of good, secure ways for them to get what they want. But they assume they should be able to anyway. I loving hate doctors.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

TheElectronicOne posted:

I hate to be the contrarian here, but it's not like they're making an unreasonable request. I mean, putting medical records on an iPhone is a little bizarre but if we could just bring hardware/net security into the 21st century it would be quite simple to implement.
The request itself may be reasonable, but because of the nature of the software, the only solution is some type of remote desktop, and then you have to add a sufficient layer of security on top of that because you're dealing with confidential patient data, and it has to be easy to use because the doctors are busy people and they don't have time to deal with troubleshooting something, and...

It quickly snowballs into a ridiculous time and support sink. And any time we try to push for decent security, such as complex passwords that expire, or idle timeouts, it is always met with the wrath of the all important doctor.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Richard Noggin posted:

but I reminded her that she didn't consult with us (we're their IT provider) before dropping $700.
this this this this motherfucking this

I'm sorry, I can't make <random piece of equipment you just bought> work with our software. It's not compatible. You should have checked with us first.

Interesting notes about hardware compatibility with some of our apps:
One app requires PCL drivers to print properly, as long as it's not a Dell printer. For some unknown loving reason, any Dell printer will cause the app in question's memory useage to start climbing wildly until the PC either starts spewing memory errors or the app just starts timing out. I've witnessed this in multiple locations with multiple iterations of the software and driver versions.

Another app, document imaging, will only use scanners with ISIS drivers. Sorry, I can't make your multifunction piece of poo poo work.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Midelne posted:

To read email. What are ya, new?
Oh, can you fix my computer so that my email automatically goes to the printer? That would be great.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

ab0z posted:

With an inkjet it is important to periodically print SOMETHING to keep the nozzles clear, but not a bunch of stupid anime.
Yeah, sounds like he just using a legitimate reason as an excuse to do something stupid.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

ab0z posted:

What's a centerbeam?

I think it's what Tony Stark shoots out of his chest..

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

This was an interesting one... client was complaining that our app was taking 20-30 seconds to open documents that normally open instantly. I remotely control the computer, sure enough, something is unusual. The rest of the app is responsive.

I see AVG running in the system tray, so I wonder if maybe it's trying to scan the network folder that holds all of the documents (massively huge folder/subfolders). I've seen McAfee do that before. Thankfully, AVG lets me set scanner exceptions, so I exclude that network path.

No change? Hmm...

I fire up filemon to see what's going on when I try to open the document. There's a clear 25 second gap between sections, and the first entry after the gap is referencing some HP INI file, even though she wasn't trying to print anything, just open it.

On a whim, I take a look at her printers, and see the status next to the HP LaserJet-- "Unable to connect".

"Which computer <computername>?"
"That sounds like Elaine's."
"Is her computer on?"
"No, she's not here today."
"Can you turn it on, please? You don't have to log in, just power it on."
<waiting, refreshing the printer list>
"Okay, this printer is now showing up as Ready. Let's see what happens when we open a document."

Documents instantly open.

If I hadn't seen something similar happen with a completely different app once several years back, I'd probably still be staring at filemon and scratching my head. I hate printers.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Caged posted:

Was that the default printer?
It was, but changing the default printer didn't make a difference.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Richard Noggin posted:

Word documents by any chance?

TIFF files, actually.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Libal posted:

Ok, I'll bite. Please tell me he gave an explanation of how that's supposed to speed-up browsing? I'm dying to hear it.
Maybe some guy just discovered wireshark and saw a ton of traffic coming from officepdc and decided to put a stop to that poo poo.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Oddhair posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2834226&userid=28872

It's a long read...all Midelne's posts, and Rod is his inept supervisor. (Yes, literally a restart the server kind of guy. The most recent posts of his in that thread are pretty awesome.)
Don't forget the part where his lazy (but otherwise competent) former boss died, leading to them putting Rod in charge. This is the closest thing to an IT soap opera I've ever seen.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Spermy Smurf posted:

I'd kill for that.

I usually get something like this:

Full desktop screenshot pasted into Word.

Printed.

Scanned, emailed to them from the scanner.

Forwarded from them to me.

So now I have a black and white scan of a word document (with a full desktop screenshot crammed in so I cant even read the small print on the error code), at 3 times the original file size, in PDF format (as an image!) that I cant edit in any way, shape, or form.
Hey, at least it wasn't faxed after being printed. I've gotten a few of those...

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Midelne posted:

Or you can paste into Paint.Net, which crops easy as pie if you want to show more than just one active window.

Or close the forums before you take the shot, you goonie goon.
I used to chat on IRC with the guy who makes Paint.NET. Every time I read about somebody else recommending it I can't help but think how neat it is to see his project really take off. Not bad for what started off as a simple student project.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Crowley posted:

Considering how tough that glass is on tablets that's quite a feat.. unless they dropped a coffee mug on it or something.
I support medical software, and based on what I've seem the most likely scenario is that a nurse or doctor chucked the thing across the room in a fit of rage.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I have about 12 open issues right now, most reportedly urgent, all waiting for other people to do something (order software, pay a bill, answer a question, etc). I wonder what's on TV.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

xarph posted:

If your company has a webex subscription, you can use webex support center to accomplish mostly the same thing cross-platform.

Except that WebEx is godawful

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Spermy Smurf posted:

"Hey, support tech. Let me grab control so I can show you where it errors out since you obviously have no idea how to use your own product. I'll just double cli-... I'll just triple cl--... Well gently caress. I'm smashing the poo poo out of my mouse. How the gently caress do I take control of my own god drat desktop again?"

15 minutes later I finally get control. I make sure they do not bill us for the 15 minutes the lovely Webex session broke.
My favorite is when you need to click somewhere on the screen where there's a webex control for the remote party that you can't see. Usually in the bottom right. Need to look at the options for a program in the system tray? TOO loving BAD!

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Midelne posted:

This is what should properly be referred to as a failure by personnel to properly secure access to vital resources.

If this were healthcare, that would be another HIPAA violation nobody cares about.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

mllaneza posted:

If Midelne is telling you to get a new job...

"Take Ownership" doesn't strike me as a complete solution: backups. And can't the admin account take control back if it wants to ? My certs are in NT4, so maybe MS already has a solution to this that I don't know about.
The whole purpose of taking ownership and blocking access from an admin is that the admin (theoretically) cannot access the document without leaving behind an audit trail. If admin takes ownership back, that's an audited event, can be tracked, and leaves somebody with some explaining to do. I can't really think of any way to do it better, honestly.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Midelne posted:

From Rod.
It's time you knew the truth.

Rod isn't actually human. You are a part of an alien psychology test. You're being tested against various psychological stresses so they can monitor your reactions.

Ask yourself the following:
Do you ever see Rod outside of work?
Would a normal human be able to maintain employment in a supervisory position with his skill set?
Have you ever seen Rod and an alien scientist in the same room at the same time before?

Proceed with caution. Don't make the same mistakes your former boss made. :ssh:

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Sadly, yes. I don't know Rod but I've run into enough like him along the way. I've only ever worked under one of them before being recruited away to another department.
You don't think Rod is the only alien scientist conducting psychological experiments on those of us with high aptitudes for technology, do you?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Lum posted:

Just be glad you two have the luxury of being able to walk to the affected PC. When your users are a minimum of a 2 hour drive away (and a maximum of 8) with security requirements meaning no remote access and definitely no webex shite, questions and talking them through it is the only way. It is possible eventually.
Most of our clients are in Indiana, Kentucky and Tennessee. I now live in Texas. :haw:

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Lum posted:

Well if you ever needed proof that users do not look or do anything at all to help themselves before yelling for help, I think this is it:

I was having some trouble with gmail earlier today but my reaction was more along the lines of "oh, gently caress it, I'll check my email later"

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

TokenBrit posted:

Or induction, there are already products out there which allow you to chuck your device onto a mat and have it charge. Electric toothbrushes use this method. As do transformers, I suppose.
I don't know a lot about induction, but I wonder if the technology could be adapted for wireless mice. Just have a mouse pad charger (plugged into the wall or even a USB port), so as long as the mouse is touching the pad it's getting charged. gently caress, I'd buy one.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

AutoArgus posted:

You get free corporate email from us for two years through some amazing fluke of an account somehow never getting deactivated, and then when someone finally notices you throw an email to the -wrong goddamned person- (who then asked us to fix this persons email) asking what gives? :ughh:
Reactivate his account and set up an autoresponder. Get creative with the message. :)

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Naxr posted:

Easy enought to make your own: http://www.afrotechmods.com/cheap/arnoldpad/arnoldpad.htm
drat that page is hard to read, but it's awesome that it works. Seems like heat is an issue, though... probably have need to find some way to effectively dissipate that in the mouse pad.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Midelne posted:

I keep recommending that we change over to Brother as our HP printers require more and more (outsourced) maintenance and have an ever-more-predictable cascade of hardware and other failures. No one listens, so I think I'm going to give up on making that recommendation and just watch money fly out the window because they think it's a better idea to take purchasing advice from the guy who makes money every time he comes out to repair something.
I never really had much experience with Brother, but needed to install one that a client purchased on their server. After quietly grumbling about having to support somebody else's hardware, I went to the website to see if I could find a drive. I don't remember what the printer was off-hand, but a quick search shows that it was probably something similar to the HL-2170W. I put in the model number, OS, language...

WHQL certified PCL Driver (Recommended)
Size: 0.98 MB :aaaaa:

I think the smallest HP "driver only" download I've seen weighed in at over 5 MB

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Midelne posted:

I'm meeting with the district manager on the 14th to discuss him. It'd be sooner, but the DM is out of town again this week. He didn't seem all that surprised that I wanted to discuss him, so we'll see whether that means he thinks Rod is useless or thinks I'm a malcontent.
Maybe a little from column A, a little from column B

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Please send pog as our slammer is not working. I will contact playground once I can confirm status of pog.

(anybody remember pogs?)

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Spermy Smurf posted:

It's not mine... It's gas stations
"Would you like a receipt for this transaction?"
No.
"Printing receipt..."

This happened to me at a gas station once. True story.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

rolleyes posted:

To be fair I think most people (myself included) who disliked the XP visual style did so because:
- It took up a large amount of unnecessary space compared to win2k/classic/whatever.
- It looked like a my first computer.

Both of these things were fixed with Aero.
gently caress Luna, but there were a number of pretty great 3rd party themes available if you patched your system to allow them. I'd pick classic in XP over Luna any day. I've felt no need to mess with the themes of Vista or 7, though.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Super long post ahead...

I don't know how many of you have dealt with HL7 interfaces before, but to quickly summarize, HL7 is a standard format typically used as a means to keep two different [medical] databases in sync. For example, if you create a patient in Application A, an HL7 message (usually either in the form of a text file or a direct TCP connection to a receiving interface) is generated that contains all of that patient's information in a standard format. Application B receives the message, processes it, and adds that patient to its database. It's pretty straightforward. Usually when dealing with these interfaces, there's a little bit of testing and tweaking that needs to be done upon installation, but after that, they rarely need to be touched.

We have a client that has two applications, Application A and Application B, that were both set up many years ago. They had an interface between them, although it wasn't actually an HL7 interface... it was a custom interface that imported patient data via some special DLLs of Application B's. It worked great for years, but about 2 months ago it started to throw .NET framework exceptions. I had the developer look into it but he was unable to determine the problem, or just didn't care to look much into it because that particular interface had been discontinued in favor of a proper HL7 interface.

So we installed the new one on Friday 8/14. I had to get the Application B people involved because HL7 interfaces have two parts... the sending part (ours) and the receiving part (theirs). We configured everything, did some tests, confirmed that patient updates worked properly and didn't create duplicate accounts. The only issue was with the patient appointments, since the formatting of the appointment ID's (a unique identifier assigned to each appointment) had changed between old interface and new.

Not a big deal. I just deleted everything from the appointment table in SQL for Application B and then manually exported all future appointments from Application A. This ensured that everything was using the new appointment ID format and there should be no conflicts moving forward. Enjoy the weekend, we're done!

So Tuesday rolls around and I get a message from the client saying that all of the doctors are listed in Application B twice, and some of the appointments are wrong and this and that. They did note that on Monday an EMR software was installed alongside Application A, but it runs off of a completely separate database and doesn't alter Application A in any way, so I couldn't see how that could be related. I opened a ticket with the interface developers to get some help identifying what was going on.

The company we use for all of our custom interfaces generally makes really great software, but getting support out of them is next to impossible. It took a good 3 weeks of hassling them before I was able to get them to look into the problem. In an effort to give them as much data as I could, I extracted the results of a query on Application B's database pulling all of the appointments for a particular day. It was at this point that I noticed something weird...

It was easy to identify that appointments that had the "duplicate" doctor name (basically in Application B there's a drop down box of providers, and for each one there would be something like "SMITH, JOHN Q" and "SMITH,JOHN Q", each with different appointments, sometimes both sharing one. Anyway, for all of the duplicate providers, there was way more information present in the database fields and the appointment ID's followed a completely different format. Here's my (HIPAA compliant!) example:

code:
Normal appointment:
ScheduleID  1.11.2009-09-18.112.2
PatientID  0
ChartID  M1548.0
LocationID [blank]
LocationDesc [blank]
AppointmentDate  09/18/2009
AppointmentTime  09:15
DoctorID  11
DoctorLastName [blank]
DoctorFirstName [blank]
DoctorMI [blank]
AltPatientID [blank]
DoctorName SMITH, JOHN Q
LastChange  09/17/2009 1:37:06 PM
OrgNumber [blank]
ChartTrackingID  0
ResourceID [blank]
ResourceLastName [blank]
ResourceFirstName [blank]
ResourceMI [blank]
ResourceName  ,

hosed up appointment:
ScheduleID  39.2009-08-17.157.1
PatientID  0
ChartID  M44737.0
LocationID  8
LocationDesc  123 FIRST AVE
AppointmentDate  08/17/2009
AppointmentTime  13:00:00
DoctorID  39
DoctorLastName  JONES
DoctorFirstName  WILLIAM
DoctorMI  S
AltPatientID  44737
DoctorName  JONES,WILLIAM S
LastChange  08/17/2009 2:01:08 PM
OrgNumber [blank]
ChartTrackingID  0
ResourceID  <NULL>
ResourceLastName  <NULL>
ResourceFirstName  <NULL>
ResourceMI  <NULL>
ResourceName  <NULL>
There are a number of key differences between the formatting of these appointments, but the most interesting one is the formatting of the ScheduleID. This, like everything else, is generated from the sending interface for Application A. When I presented this evidence to the person who developed the interface, he said that while he has used different appointment ID schemes before, that one does not match any of them. All of his appointments ID's are prefaced with the practice ID (typically 1), while the bizarro appointments do not have this.

So I did a few more queries trying to find some commonality between these appointments and all the rest, and I finally realized something. All of the hosed up appointments had a "LastChange" date of 8/17/2009. A quick test shows that this is the timestamp of when Application B receives the appointment. I did a query to search for all appointments with that date, and sure enough, they're all like they're all like that. I searched for appointments processed on the 18th, and they're normal. In fact, it seems every appointment before and after the 17th are normal.

What happened on 8/17? Wait a minute, wasn't that when they installed that EMR...

My best theory at this point is that whoever installed the EMR also installed their own interface from Application A to the EMR, likely an HL7 interface because that's what medical software uses. The only thing that makes sense is that they, for reasons far beyond my comprehension, configured their interface to dump files to the one and only directory (that's 2 directories deep inside Program Files in a folder completely unrelated to Application A) that Application B monitors.

HL7 files are a standard format (first name goes in this field, SSN goes in this field, etc, etc), but the formatting within those fields is completely up to the interface. The processing interface doesn't really care.. so if it saw messages from an interface that wasn't ours, it would process them anyway not knowing any better. Since this only occurred on the 17th, I'm assuming they discovered the problem and corrected it, explaining why we're not still getting two conflicting sets of IDs.

Last night I once again purged Application B's schedule table and manually exported future appointments. So far everything still looks normal. This is probably the single most bizarre thing I've ever had to troubleshoot.

tl;dr No poo poo. Basically, it looks like some jackass installed an interface and somehow had it sending updates to our software instead of theirs, causing some really loving weird results.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Dragyn posted:

I don't suppose you work for a large medical HCIS software company around Boston, do you?
We have clients all over the place, but none in Boston.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Dragyn posted:

I don't suppose you work for a large medical HCIS software company around Boston, do you?
We have clients all over the place, but none in Boston.

quote:

For the restart thing you mentioned, we have a system wherein the interface toggles the socket every x amount of time it's inactive. Sadly, it only works when it wants to.
I loving hate the socket-based interfaces. Sure, file-based interfaces have to deal with sharing and permission issues, but I like being able to see the raw data in addition to seeing if there's 250 files just sitting in a queue directory somewhere (suggesting the receiving interface isn't running). They're so much easier to manage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Midelne posted:

Call from one of our higher ups, notifying me that one of the sites has "a bad CPU" that needs to be replaced as soon as possible. Had no details, but he's a higher up, so I load up a replacement machine and head over. My money was on someone having accidentally flipped the manual power switch on the power supply on the back of the workstation in question and that "doesn't work" would end up having meant "does not power on when I push the button".

It figures that I'd overthink it. They hadn't actually attempted to turn it on. Powered right up.

I love using a bullshit excuse like "VIP type needs this right away" to get out of the office even when I know it's something I could probably solve over the phone.

Doesn't work so much anymore, now that I live several hundred miles away from our nearest client. :(