Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
fluppet
Feb 10, 2009

So tempted to reply suggesting she tries using the front door .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
I've just had a lecturer come the the help desk with an item in his hand that he asked me how to use.
Can you guess the item?

It was a DVD :ughh:

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
Have you looked at OTRS?

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
This morning I managed fix a students penstick, I now have two crates of stella under my desk. Why can't all users be like this.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
So I've decided to jump on the year of the job bandwaggon and somehow managed to blag an interview for ICT Security Officer.
Anybody got some suggested topics for reading up on apart from PCI DSS?

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
I think there was a vb script to which allowed you to skip the accept/decline bit of windows remote assistance tool posted in this thread. Don't suppose anyone has a copy of it as we've finally moved away from having 1 bomgar licence for the entire desk.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
As a peon working first line support, I've been asked to setup a Nagios server to monitor the 12 new MFP that are being installed this week.
This isn't a problem as this will make our lives easier rather than having to run round checking paper trays every hour or so but now that the management have seen it they want me to get it configure it to replace the IP Sentry system we have.

Whats the best way to point out that I'm capable of doing it but its way outside my job description and pay grade?

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
Well Monday morning is going to be fun.
We've got 6 shiny new giant printers installed so now we get to visit every office and convince the academics that removing their printers is not an unreasonable thing to do. :(

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
I hate enrolment, 400 ID cards printed so far today.
Yes your picture looks like shite, no I won't take it again. You've had all summer to send us a nice one and to be honest who the gently caress cares.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
I've spent all day running round the building re-adding the networked printers to out student machines. There doesn't seem to be any pattern to it apart it being guaranteed to happen as soon as I put the kettle on :(

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
Just had a 50 year old Phd student on the phone who didnt know what a hyphen was :ughh:

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009

Potato Alley posted:

No real suggestions on OS - there's always OpenFiler and FreeNAS if you just want to have a real appliance type NAS experience. Or go ZFS on BSD/Linux for that sweet pooling action (needs lots of RAM though).

Dont go openfiler unless you really know your poo poo. I had the network manager pounce on me as soon as I entered the building as he'd tried updating and something had gone tits up.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009

Migishu posted:

While I know Quebec is pronounced "keh"bec, whenever I pronounce Q to anyone, I prounce it as "Que"bec (elongating it like you would pronounce Question)

Though since I've never had the problem that you stated, perhaps you should try saying "Q as in Question", see how that works.

:eng101: Q is for Cuba

Don't know why it works but it does.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009

Antioch posted:

The $36/day paid off in the end I guess, but I'll be hosed sideways with a rusty steam engine before I let that poo poo happen again.

Tell me you mean per hour rather than per day

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
One of our openfiler boxes just went down and seemingly nobody has a clue why or how to fix it.

So glad I decided to check my mail despite having the day off.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
I've got a bottle of tatical nuclear penguin waiting for when I year of the job away from the helldesk.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
Ticket: my computer is running slow.

Solution: remove 5 Gb of outlook archives stored on the network

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
A wild YOTJ appeared.

Just had a recruiter cold call me about a legit vacancy that I've seen advertised elsewhere. It matches my skills and has an acceptable increase in salary.
:wtc:

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
Fair enough then, it just I've never had a recruiter contact me with a sensible vacancy before.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
Almost managed to escape the hell desk today but the company offering me a new job isn't willing to offer me a salary that make it worth changing jobs :(

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009

Moey posted:

Are you getting a better job title (Computer Janitor to System Administrator)?

If you are using a job for experience, the job title is a huge plus when searching for that next job.

It's exactly that but it would mean losing all my cushy public sector benefits for not much of a pay rise while taking on a hell of a lot more responsibility.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009

An Email Went Out posted:

Dear All,

In addition to the regular Microsoft Updates, we push out to your Computers, we need to send two Critical Security Updates.

This will happen today at 5pm.
Your PC will request a reboot shortly afterwards and there is no option to postpone it.

PLEASE ENSURE YOU HAVE NO UNSAVED WORK OPEN BY 5PM

How long till people start bitching?

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009

tater_salad posted:

I'm going to say you'll hear ppl bitching well before that you'll get the omg I need to run this one more thing then I'll be done.

Why wasn't this scheduled for Friday?

Because the powers that be have decreed otherwise.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
I have to prepare the documentation for my successor, so tempted to print off this thread.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
So its a fancy front end for psexec? Or is there more to it.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009

Telex posted:

anyone know a good resource for SNMP things to be able to query via Nagios?

I'm trying to set it up as a learning experience, I'd really like to do more than just ping checks on all our devices.

If you can think if it chances are nagios can monitor it

exchange.nagios.org has a load of plugins and scripts for most services

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
Does it respond to other snmp querys

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
A ticket has not come in as ive spent the morning playing TF2.

Really need to YOTJ more often :D

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
We've been using nagios to monitor if explorer.exe was running to do this.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
Anybody used dropbpx for teams, if so what's do you think of it?

The boss wants to get it setup so sales can have access to files while on the road as opposed to setting up a vpn :(

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
My response would be "What ipad, I never saw any ipad" :ninja:

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009

Jeoh posted:

I just found this on my desk...

Getting promoted tomorrow, it's a goodbye gift from the old team :3:

Lucky you I got 4 bottles of bud wheb I left my last job :(

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
Thats one hell of a mess, I don't evey the poor bastards who have to clean that up.

e: And where's the photo of the person who caused it.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
Oh well at least I know I'm not.in a pop. Our finance guy has decided that he's not going to order anything I've asked for including kit for all the new starters unless I can give him a complete list of licence we own vs what's actually installed.
By Monday.
Lunchtime :(

And of course the licences are stored in various peoples mailboxes. Is there nice quick way to get a list of what's installed of each pc/mac remotely?

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009

A ticket posted:

Subject: My mailbox...

Any chance can get some more space until I get a chance to organise and delete? It's crying about space… :-(

Must resist temptation to resolve this by deleting the entire contents of her mailbox.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
gently caress amazons elastic load balancers

There's no logs to provide and clue what the gently caress is going on, they randomly disappear from the web console and the support boils down to welp i recreated it for you and its not timing out anymore.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009

Che Delilas posted:

P as in pneumonia is always fun.

Nah you wany.to.be rolling with q for Cuba.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009

a ticket posted:

Hi Fluppet,

How are you? I need another favour if possible…….

Could you arrange for some Beer and Pizza to be delivered to the office for Friday before the All Hands meeting please?

Sometime HR get things right

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009

Walter_Sobchak posted:

In that they assign you jobs that you probably shouldn't be doing?

Technically yes however they are based in London and our office is in the North East.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Midnight Commander is still my favorite file manager...I am a broken sad man. :negative:

Your not alone there though