Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
taremva
Mar 5, 2009
This year I'm working 12 hour shifts on the 24-26th of december. Most people would probably be upset at working christmas, but I think it's great. Little to do, can study for my certs, and get double pay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taremva
Mar 5, 2009

Volmarias posted:

Most people have families that they want to see.

23, single, no kids.

I'd rather take the shift and let the people with families have it off, and as a bonus I make bank.

taremva
Mar 5, 2009
Some of my users use E for Eyes and I for Ice. :argh:

taremva
Mar 5, 2009

pseudomonkey posted:

That has to be trolling you. It's such an awesome way to do it that I refuse to believe it's anything but deliberate.

I have also heard G for Gay and H for Hitler. :v:

taremva
Mar 5, 2009

nitrogen posted:

If you really want to experience frustration, use the NATO alphabet with a native spanish speaker.

There is a great Spanish version should you ever need it. I wish I had known about it at the time.

For me, Spanish isn't usually a problem, but Indians are.
According to NATO it is Q for Quebec, but they never get it, and I dont know what else to use.

taremva
Mar 5, 2009

Migishu posted:

Worked with someone who was allergic to milk. I felt sorry for him. Absolute wonderful guy to work with, can't even enjoy chocolate.

Working Helpdesk, you see some weird things, both computer and non-computer related. One of our workmates one time offered to get him some lunch, so he comes back with a subway sub, and without even looking, bites into the sub.

He chews.

He thinks.

He chews some more.

He thinks some more.

Finally, he felt his mouth go a little weird.

"Mohammad", he asked, " What's in this sandwich?"

"What?"

"What's in this sandwich?"

"What do you mean what's in the sandwich?"

"Is there cheese in this sub?"

"Yes, I didn't know what to get you, so I got you the best kind, Cheddar"

He immediately turns to my other workmate (both of them being Team Leads), who in turn stares right back at him. "Just go."

Shocked the hell out of poor Mohammad I tell you that.

Someone else I work with is allergic to basil. Of all the things, basil? We went out for a friends farewell party, and he sniffed some sauce (not a large sniff, just a small one), and his lungs closed up on him. Luckily that's all that happened.

I'm glad I'm not allergic to anything (as far as I know).

Wait, did your coworker not know that he was allergic, or didnt he realise that cheese contains milk?

Willingly doing something like that is grounds for being tossed out a window, and we're on the 6th floor.

taremva
Mar 5, 2009

Sylink posted:

Stop being pussies who are allergic to everything, its only reinforcing the image of a frail deathly white IT nerd who hates you.

Oh sorry, I forgot to hit the not-allergic switch this morning. How silly of me.

You do realise that there is gently caress all to be done if you are allergic to something, right? And that it can be fatal?

taremva
Mar 5, 2009
I'm thinking about starting to study next fall, or possibly the year after. Then again, I can study for free and the government pays me a small amount ($700/month or so) as long as I'm enrolled in classes.

Thinking of picking a 3 year buissness degree, 5 years feels like too long without a decent wage and I'd rather not be a tech when I'm 50. At that point I probably have kids and the value of being able to take a half day cant really be measured in cash.

taremva
Mar 5, 2009
If my ex called me and wanted help with something her new boyfriend had bought her, I'd tell her to eat poo poo too.

taremva
Mar 5, 2009
A user just asked me if it was a capital 1 in his password.

taremva
Mar 5, 2009

Sinestro posted:

Is his work email hsimpson?

He called back. Apparently he was trying to spell "Summer" with only one m.

I couldnt make this up if I tried. :suicide:

taremva
Mar 5, 2009
Users are loving dumb, but knowing when to pick your battles is half this job.

taremva
Mar 5, 2009
:) I cant print!
:v: what error is it?
:) It just does not print!
:v: Ok, can you print a testpage? (ends up guiding him)
:) ok, that worked.
:v: Then the printer is functional. What application are you printing from?
:) Citrix! (We have thousands of users connected via various citrix or VPN solutions)
:v: You are using another application via citrix, I need the name of that application.
*** Has to convince him that yes, I know what citrix is, and I still need an application name ***
:) Oh, it's <Application>
:v: What is your username?
:) xxxxxxxxxxx
:v: That's too long, are you certain about it? It should be 8 digits.
:) I'm sure.
*** Cant find him, searching for his lastname in AD reveals no hits ***
:v: I'd like to connect to your PC, is that fine?
:) OK, fine.

He is a contractor.
He is using one of our PCs, and have a citrix connection to the contracting firm, which is using the same application we do internally.
He shouldn't be calling us at all.
Why does this bother me so much?

taremva
Mar 5, 2009

tomapot posted:

An email came in:

This should be interesting illegal. :munch:

What in the everliving... Where did you say you work? :stare:

taremva
Mar 5, 2009
Our password site tells user they must have 3 of 4 of the following; capital letter, non-capital letter, number and special sign.

Special signs do not work.

taremva
Mar 5, 2009

Ganon posted:

So does anyone have a realistic backup career in mind if one day you say gently caress it and want out? I was reading about truck driving schools today :smith: The foreign service sounds like a dream career but it's so competitive.

1 year of savings, enough to live at my current rate, keep my car etc without any additional income.
I work via a recruitment firm, so even if my current contract would be terminated I still draw a salary for 2 months. Chances are my consultant company wouldn't lay me off even if the client did, so they'd pay my salary while sending me on interviews.
If I did get laid off I'd sell the car and start studying, I'd get about $700/month. On top of getting rid of the car and reducing some other frivolous expenses I could live on my savings for about 3 years, enough to get a degree.

taremva
Mar 5, 2009

Jibo posted:

Are lowly help desk agents allowed here?

No one will stop you. There is a call center thread in BFC if you want to know why you should take up alcoholism sooner rather then later.

My strangest call must have been the lieutenant from the air force asking if they could borrow the fiber connection we have at one of our remote sites. Apparently our test track is next to (or inside) the area they use for exercises.

At first I thought it was a prank call but the guy was serious, the contact details included a mail adress which is only used by the military.

taremva
Mar 5, 2009

Tigern posted:

I accepted a 2. line support position for an ISP yesterday. . . Should I take up drinking now, or is it better to wait until I start?

If you had said first I'd have told you to drown yourself in cheap whiskey.
Since it's second line I hope you can afford some decent whiskey at least.

taremva
Mar 5, 2009
Apparently I have a very deep voice. Last Aprils fools I answered the phone and introduced myself as Helen.
The first person who called was my boss :v:

taremva
Mar 5, 2009

Lum posted:

To be fair if one work order takes longer than she expected it to, then she's going to submit the next one nice and early to try and get it done on time.

If you submit a massive loving workorder and give it a deadline of 3 hours, that's not happening. And pestering me 3 hours later with "it's a deadline!" isnt going to win you any points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taremva
Mar 5, 2009
Why on loving earth would you name your applications a a random 4 letter combination, and then decide that two different applications should be named exactly the same with one having an I and one having an Y?

Before anyone starts with using phonetic, I'm not using english, and very few know of the proper phonetic alphabet.
The english speaking ones use I for Ice and E for Eyes. :argh: