Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«8 »
angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

Honey Im Homme posted:

some kid was using this:

java script:document.body.contentEditable='true'; document.designMode='on'; void 0

So exactly how does this work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

NeuralSpark posted:

This is still very common in higher ed. I can think of several schools that are still like this.

Mine. State University powers activate!

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

Puck42 posted:

You didn't even get down to the rar files

I got to about 80 before I gave up.

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

rscott posted:

Do they provide free cabs to everyone as well?

Well now, how are they going to "get rid" of IT workers if they do that?

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

"My boss can't be bothered to put 'index.asp' on the end of a URL.(and your changes just caused all of the mailings that we sent out to have a dead URL)"
To be fair to the guy who called in the ticket: what he's asking for should just happen automatically, and it's a crime that he had to call up and ask for something like this during the time of year when several thousand freshman are trying to get signed up for classes. Now to wait and see if the web team does their job, or if I'm going to get screamed at.

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

Sprawl posted:

This is something really easy to fix. You open IIS, find the "Application" folder for the website -> properties -> Documents and add index.asp as a default document.

If I could do that, then I would be happy because it would mean I was the IIS admin instead of just being 1/4 of our phone support team.

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

enotnert posted:

That poo poo is disgusting, and you should be ashamed.

Everyone should be ashamed because of all-flash websites.

Content: I, too, have a Professor iPad, but the real travesty is the MacBook Pro with the 1TB HDD that has a 900GB WinXP partition. Meanwhile, the rest of campus are using OS's that are less than 8 years old.

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

Dick: I'll do a 21-shot salute for you the next time I drink.

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

Bohemian Cowabunga posted:

<rant>
naivete
</rant>

...I got some bad news for you, friend...

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

Naramyth posted:

Very nice.

So I have this piece of poo poo Inter Library Loan software that I swapped hardware and rebuilt with SQL 2005. The stupid piece of software will not update it's sent item records in the SQL database despite having full access to the database and the local machine. I was asked to put the old computer back into production until it can be figured out. I want to at least get it on new hardware as the Gateway 4300s I have have been dying out. I tried Clonezilla but it would not boot up correctly on the new hardware.

Ariel!

F that POS with a rake. Apparently there's no gui configuration.

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

angrytech fucked around with this message at Oct 9, 2012 around 16:24

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

Bob Cthulhu posted:

Just because I'm not willing to drop everything to put your Outlook online doesn't mean I'm lazy, it's just a side effect!

If your job is to sit at a desk waiting until someone calls so that you can fix their problem: yes you are lazy for not fixing the problem and then pawning it off on someone who makes far less than you.

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

angrytech fucked around with this message at Oct 9, 2012 around 16:25

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

enotnert posted:

Grumble grumble grumble. . . In our labs, our switches/etc are up ~9-10 foot in the air. Well the power for them is about eye height (why there I have no idea).

Some student last week found the bright idea of unplugging the switch so his TA would be dumbfounded and cancel class. I went to investigate, showed all the TA's the point of failure and how to diagnose, easy peasy.

Happens again today. Student whoever has went and broken the power pins off the cable, but left the ground so it appeared to be plugged in.

Fucker.

[farnsworth]
Vandalizing university property you say?
Criminal charges you say?
[/farnsworth]

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

sfwarlock posted:

FAKE EDIT:

I just got a call (again, on the dot of 3pm). "Hi, this is Firstname."

"Hi, it's MyBoss. I'm not going to have you come in today, but I want to meet with you 9 am tomorrow, my office."

"I'll be there."

"Shouldn't take too long. After that, business as usual."

"All right. See you then."

... what.

I was looking for an excuse to start drinking at 5:20 CST, and here it is. Cheers dude, I'm rooting for you.

EDIT: Am I the only one who reads "business as usual" as a warning? sfwarlock, be sure to watch out for pit traps in the bosses office.

angrytech fucked around with this message at Sep 27, 2010 around 22:34

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

sfwarlock posted:

Alcohol makes me immediately lightheaded, nauseated, and sleepy.

Yeah, what about being drunk?

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

Just received this email from a user:

"I am reset my password, and I am not was go on. Please help me."

I am become end user, destroyer of worlds

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

angrytech fucked around with this message at Oct 9, 2012 around 16:27

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

Javid posted:

Fortunately, "afraid of guns" is not a protected class, so the owner can still tell them to gently caress off, if so inclined.

How else am I going to wipe those HDDs that contain sensitive data?

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

mono posted:

Guess what you're an accessory to now!

Awesomeness

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

Thought that said "termites."

Holy hell keep those away from my house.

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

captkirk posted:

I originally got it from this thread, but my favourite is "Layer 8 problem"

Some of our more technically-savvy users understand PEBCAK and ID10T errors, but most of them aren't smart enough to understand the OSI layers.

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

angrytech fucked around with this message at Oct 9, 2012 around 16:27

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

Lum posted:

Probably because they're currently insisting on SSL but use a self signed certificate.
Wait, there are places that don't use SSL?

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

mrbass21 posted:

Solution:

USB cord to printer was plugged into the ethernet port.

Really? I get that some stuff is a bit advanced for some users, but if you got past kindergarten, and can match shapes, it's not that difficult.

Sup student worker buddy.

Thanks to public record laws, I know that the professors I help on a daily basis make 8 times my income, yet are incapable of using basic problem solving techniques that they would require I employ if I were in their classes.

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

Pope Guilty posted:

E: Also has anybody ever seen a ticket involving Adobe Connect/Breeze that didn't turn out to be a massive pain with no clear resolution?

I'm sorry, what part of the word "Adobe" makes you think that there would ever be a resolution?
If I ever figure out a way to edit pdf forms in linux... I don't know but it's going to involve beer.

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

I talked to the helpdesk guy yesterday and he was in a bad mood. He intends to stay until his next child is born and he's done with his FMLA time. I think without me to take the edge off by making fun of things it's pretty grim. I expect Tony is thrilled. Doesn't bother me. He doesn't have to be unhappy in order for me to be happy.

You're a better man than I. Who takes extreme joy in seeing their old workplace suffer when they leave? This dude.
edit: i spell gud

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

sfwarlock posted:

Not specifically a ticket per se.

More of a "if you're a student employee out on a ticket, don't go on 4chan. Especially not b." No, I don't care you were using your cell phone tethering. I don't care that you were using your own netbook. I don't even care that no one else was around.

Just... don't... do... that... on... the... clock. Christ, do I really have to explain this to people?

At this point I'm pretty sure that my supervisors are aware of 4chan and just don't hire people who they think might browse it. Several of us student workers are goons though.

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

angrytech fucked around with this message at Oct 9, 2012 around 16:29

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

Sonic Dude posted:

If someone decides to "ping" you and you don't punch them in the face, is that packet loss?

NAK

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

Accipiter posted:

People like you suck rear end, just FYI. The "I use Linux" poo poo is ridiculous.

Linux is not immune to vulnerabilities, and trojans for it do exist.

I think the point was that the guy saw network traffic or a hostname that he didn't recognize, and wasn't expecting that someone might have messed with their laptop.

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

Nailed one of our other student workers with an HP sign(with my supervisor's approval of course), but their supervisor won't tell me who it is.

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

Pope Guilty posted:

A call came in! The user interpreted a request for the spelling of their username, which was originally given as a slur of syllables, as a challenge to recite the spelling of said username as rapidly as possible, perhaps in order to win prizes!

Little known fact: At the end of every fiscal year, the least polite user is given an IPad2 purchased by IT using what little money we don't spend on drugs and alcohol.

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

Can't we just reserve the hate for the users?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

couldcareless posted:

Another issue came in, user says they can't print reports from program. I ask what printer she is using, my response was "the one it is set on now." Awesome, very informative. Connect to her machine, some known issue, flushdns and restart her. As she's coming back up, it's taking a lot longer than she should. We literally purchased this machine new a month ago. Well, I get to her desktop and BAM, weatherbug, registry booster, file type assistant. All kinds of crap. I tell her she won't have a machine for awhile and start the scrubbing process...

My dept is working on desktop hardening, with an ultimate goal of removing local admin privileges from everyone. How will I justify my excessive drinking without the excuse of constant virus infections?

«8 »