Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Not exactly a ticket, since our company is too small to actually have a ticketing system, but our IT "guy" is gone today and tomorrow and I'm the backup guy. Come back from lunch, server room smells like burnt insulation and half the people can't get on the internet/use vantage and no one can access the file server.

Go look at the server rack, and the file server is dead, PSU is fried. I don't know jack poo poo about the network topography or how anything is set up or the passwords to anything and I've got 20 people screaming at me to "fix it!"

We pull the server out of the rack, take out the old PSU, look around for spares (there aren't any), so I tell my boss to go down to the local PC place where this server was built and get a new PSU. While he does that, I've got to at least get internet/vantage access up to everyone, because apparently our file server is also our DHCP server! :haw:

So I get DHCP set up on the exchange/internet gateway server (don't ask, you don't want to know) and get everyone to restart their computers so they get a new DHCP lease. Vantage still doesn't work for anyone though because our file server is also our DC and there is no SDC so nothing that uses AD permissions works correctly. For the few people that needed to get stuff down ASAP I had to manually log them is as administrator for our vantage server so they could access the poo poo that they needed until we got the file server up and running again. Luckily that was only about an hour later.

tl;dr

server goes down, network is literally the worst piece of poo poo cobbled together thing you have ever seen, I have to fix it because I'm the only guy who knows anything, :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

mllaneza posted:

At least your DHCP server was in the same building. At my last gig it was at the other end of a frame relay link that was saturated with directory syncs between major offices and the home company. The LA office, where DHCP, DNS and mail were physically located was subject to frequent power outages. They did finally put in a generator, but I spent a weekend fielding frantic calls from people on a Monday deadline when they forgot to tell us they'd be offline for the weekend to rewire the electric.

After that it suddenly snapped into focus, DHCP/DNS/WINS were all in a different office. Our network diagram was the one used on MCP networking exams for you to mark all the mistakes. I just hadn't realized because, well, who'd be that loving stupid to do it in real life ?

I could name names. But I'm not stupid enough to do that. They know what they did.

tl;dr Competent people don't put essential network services on the wrong side of a slow WAN link.

I'm pretty sure our network is only less hosed up because there just aren't enough users for it to get any worse. I talked about this some in the "post your office thread" but basically:

We don't have a single managed switch in the whole place. Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE connects through WRT54Gs configured as APs(secured with WEP, broadcasting SSIDs), which plug into an 8 port linksys home switch or something, which plugs into our exchange server, which also functions as our router. Up until about 2 months ago there was no firewall or anything doing port filtering, so our exchange server was open to the world to send spam through. This ended up with us getting blacklisted and added to just about every spam filter on earth. If I didn't suggest using the hardware firewall box that they bought like a year ago or something but never used because this guy couldn't figure out how to configure it properly, we'd STILL be blacklisted. Took me 20 minutes to lock everything down except the ports we needed.

There is no AD or group user policy set up for end users, everyone saves everything to the local computers (a bunch of cobbled together whiteboxes), everyone has local admin rights, etc.

I think our only backup solution is a portable 1TB HDD that the guy takes home with him every night.

Its basically a home network with 60 or so users. If the IT guy didn't happen to be my roommate I would have already tried to steal his job.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I got to fix one of our waterjet machines today that runs on an ancient win98 box (celeron 533). We can't upgrade the PC because it needs an ISA slot for the waterjet machine interface card.

Somehow all the boot files from windows 98 were gone. In the hazy depths of my memory I had a vague recollection on how to actually fix this, but god drat if it didn't take me 3 and a half hours to get everything kosher. Got a "you are the man" from my boss though :unsmith:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Arsten posted:

Three and a half hours for "insert Bootable win98 Floppy disk, enter 'sys c: a:' "?

nah, that took maybe 20 minutes, half of which was replacing the dead flopping drive in the workstation.

Most of the rest of the time was spent trying to remember what files windows needed to boot properly and configuring the autoexec.bat, remaking the config.sys and msdos.sys files, testing to make sure the HDD wasn't corrupted/failing, finding some known good PC-100 dimms to make sure it wasn't the memory going bad that was causing the issues, and putting the drat thing back together. It wouldn't have taken nearly as long if I was the one actually doing the IT poo poo for this place, I got pressed into service because the normal IT guy is on vacation until monday.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

nene posted:

Does that mean he'd worship you like a god for getting hold of something like this? (Google sponsored link on a search, no idea if this one works but it's not the first I've seen)

something like that would be overkill, we only need one ISA slot for the workstation, but I'll definitely look into seeing if they make smaller ones.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

fishmech posted:

These aren't cheap, but you can get ATX motherboards that support Pentium 4s or Core Duo or Core 2 Duo Quad-core that also have ISA slots available.
http://www.cyberresearch.com/store/industrial-computers-rugged-pcs/motherboards-mobo/motherboards-isa-slots-mobo/

They come with the CPU, some RAM, and a Windows license. Their cheapest motherboard is $545 with a 2.5 GHz Celeron, and that comes with no RAM or Windows license, so you have to provide your own - it's $645 with 1 gigabyte of PC3200 SDRAM added though.

Or you can go for a 3 ghz quad core Core 2 Duo system with 8 GB of RAM and two ISA slots which should last you forever, and it costs $2045.

Yeah...that's way too expensive for an upgrade that would be more or less for convenience. If anything I'll look for an old socket A tbird or mobo on ebay or something. It doesn't have to be super powerful, it just has to run winxp and the waterjet software.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Sojourner posted:

So this morning an old switch stops working in one of our small buildings, I go and change it out no big deal. I get back and just for fun I take apart the switch. Thousands of spiders. I hate spiders :smith:

Psylocibe?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Julianus posted:

Picture yourself in your office. It's not even 9am. Then this bitch storms in, looking like she just learned she's got breast cancer :

"MY COMPUTER DOES NOT WORK ! IT'S BROKEN ! IT. JUST. WON'T. WOOOOOOOOOOORK!!!"

You'd think your day is screwed because this maintenance is, of course, going to take all day. And of course, you have no spare, nothing at all. So say goodbye to your so loving important project you're working on.

Remember, it's not even 9am.

So you go to the bitch's office and what do you see ? Dual screen displaying Windows desktop. :wtf:, right ?

Because something or someone screwed her IP configuration, she just couldn't get any access to the Web. She, of course, translated that by "my computer is broken".

Bitch don't ever do that again. Not when it's 8.50 in the morning and I didn't even have 2 cups of coffee yet. Next time you do that, I will slap you so hard you will lose 3 teeth.

gently caress IT support, seriously.

You're going to last about 3 months in IT with an attitude like that. Certainly her reaction was a little overboard for the scope of the problem, but you're forgetting the first axiom of anything support related: The user is stupid. If you can not come to terms with this fact with out wanting to resort to physical violence against your users(especially over something so trivial), you've picked the wrong career to get into.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Casao posted:

Scariest thing I've ever heard at work:

"No, I can't do that right now, I'm editing the registry on our Exchange server."

Great Post/Custom Title combination.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Phuzion posted:

Oh boy oh boy oh boy!

I'm getting an intern!

3 weeks of 5 hours per day, 5 days a week.

A+ cert kind of kid, sounds like a nice guy. On the phone interview, he briefly mentioned that he's more focused on hardware than software, so I've got a stack of Precision 380s for him to diagnose the issues on. Basically, I'm going to give him access to the lab, and say "Get these working. The first one you get going will be the box you use." Of course, I've got a GX270 ready for him if the machines are totally toast for whatever reason, but I expect him to be able to fix at least 3 of them. One just needs the video card swapped, so I'm going to leave that one on the top of the stack as a confidence builder. If he can't fix any of them whatsoever, he might get an NT4 workstation.

The other thing I was thinking was basically "Here's a relatively privileged account (but NOTHING THAT SAYS ADMINISTRATOR), have fun, explore the network, and give me a report on what you see could be improved." The other thing I want to do is pound into his head three concepts: 1.) Least Privilege, 2.) CYA, 3.) Document The gently caress Out Of EVERYTHING!

I'll keep you guys up to date on anything spectacular about this experience.

Oh yeah, he starts Monday.

This must be some kind of SOP when it comes to finding poo poo for interns to do in IT. Back when I was in high school, I basically did the same thing, except the workstations were pentium 100s running windows 98, with the occasional PII 400 or PIII 450 thrown in there. The IT "Office" was an old drafting lab that was filled literally to the brim with old useless computer poo poo. I'm talking like a whole drafting table full of C64's, an old AMD 8088 clone, 386 servers running PC-DOS 5.0 and novell, a whole wall of 14" CRTs, etc. I pretty much spent the entire school year/summer going through all this crap and cobbling together working PCs out of the crap I found in that office.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Lord Commissar posted:

Well, I didn't find out why my Director was fired, but I did find out that I'll be let go "within a year". They're moving my position to Kansas, and although they offered to relocate me I, uh, am not moving to Kansas.

Where in Kansas?

Wichita is rather nice, and the COL is way lower than the coasts.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Screw you guys, I happen to enjoy living in Kansas. :colbert:

don't mind the fact that prior to living in Wichita I lived in Flint, Michigan for almost 10 years...

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Can you use some punctuations in your sentences please?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Lord Commissar posted:

I am thinking of him.

That's why I'm not moving to Wichita! :v:

How much are they paying, I'll take your job

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

brc64 posted:

Which are, coincidentally, two of the most common sources of exploits for malware!

It sort of reminds me of a Microsoft dev I knew a while back bitching because some crazy percentage of bluescreens and stability problems were caused by nVidia and Creative drivers, yet everybody always blames Windows.

Do people even still buy sound cards anymore?

People who enjoy having decent multichannel sound not take up 20 or 30% of a core do I guess. It's not nearly as important these days with all the dual/quad core CPUs out there, but there's less EMI with add in cards compared to an integrated solution.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Lord Commissar posted:

I get $20/hour. I'll let you know when the job actually opens and I'll refer you.

Sweet :unsmith:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Higgy posted:

I see this all the time. How dare I think that in college you would know how to use that silly grammar thing!

tl;dr I have a dual business major and I cleaned up puke today.

Well, you are a computer janitor right?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Dell had a couple of generations of optiplexes in row that all died for one reason or another. I remember going through the cap issue with the 270's, the power supply issues with the 280s...that was like 5 years ago or something though. I'd have thought that all them got replaced a long time ago. Your boss really is an incompetent fool.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
If he just blows up and walks out he:

1) doesn't get to collect unemployment/severance

2) subjects some other poor sad sap to the same bullshit he's had to deal with for the last how ever many months

I recognize the second point isn't really his problem at this point, but it'd be a score for the good guys for once if he got shitcanned like he deserves :unsmith:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

soy posted:

I love surprise policies:

Great I want to spend 2 hours going through a shitload of domains changing their casing around because you don't like how it looks on a system which is never viewed by anyone but us (95% me) and already had upper and lower cases from migrated sites.

hahaha what the christ, someone has OCD.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

potato of destiny posted:

Wait, what?

:psypop:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Sonic Dude posted:

The advantage is that the employee who stays where he is has the opportunity to leave and be more successful. The now-manager who was promoted beyond the limit of his ability is stuck forever because any other company will require proof that he's not an idiot before hiring him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Principle

I really don't think that matters when you're making $100K+ a year

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
find him an old NEC versa or something and throw dos 6.0 and mavis beacon on there

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Hahahah, should just make them bootcamp into windows or run poo poo through a VM if they want to use their macs at work.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

HelfMyselp posted:

So we have some clinics in Puerto Rico that are getting prepped for a new software rollout in June and July. The only documentation we have for this software is in English, and while both English and Spanish are spoken in PR, most of the coverage area is nearly 100% Spanish-speaking. None of the folks on my team know a lick of Spanish.

Incident INC000000xxxxxx has been assigned to your group 'NORTH'.
Service Type: User Service Restoration
Priority: Critical
Summary: NEEDS REFERENCE MATERIAL IN SPANISH FOR *NEW APPLICATION*

The ticket in question was forwarded with high priority to us from each of our three supervisors, which set off a huge :siren: in my head. Our supervisors normally don't check Remedy at all, but I have a sneaking suspicion that one of the higher-ups told them this ticket was entered. Why? Because we now have until the end of the day today to translate approximately 200 pages of training documentation from English to Spanish and overnight it to the 20 or so clinics for Monday morning. Yes, not send via email -- print out over 4000 pages of poorly-translated manuals and UPS that poo poo post haste goddammit. :argh:

Oh, and the ticket was dated May 5 and did not get forwarded to us until last night around 10PM. Not that anyone cares about that -- we apparently should have known about the ticket the moment it was entered. Our bosses let us know that, even though at least one of them understands that is completely unrealistic. They do what they're told, and we will end up paying for it. Each and every one of us is (probably) about to get written up for something that is entirely out of our control.

This is how corporate works, so I am not surprised by this at all.

Wonder if they'll be upset when they realize that won't happen? :v:

Copy/paste into babelfish? That's literally the only way I could think of doing it. I mean what the hell, do they not know that you guys don't speak Spanish?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Farking Bastage posted:

:argh: Flaky hardware.

Got an optiplex 760 on the bench that passes every known diag test, but it's idling at 40% CPU. Fully updated drivers and a fresh win7 install to boot. I'm flashing the BIOS from A02 to A07 to see if it acts right now. Annoying fucker. It's just flaky enough to to somewhat stable but it runs like poo poo.

Did you make sure it wasn't throttling?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Well I meant like, heat throttling, but if the bios fixed it that's cool too :)

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
^^^ Or do that ^^^

gently caress that poo poo man, don't let someone's else gently caress up get you in trouble if you can help it. Honestly, how do they expect a few people who don't even speak Spanish to translate that much stuff in such a short period of time. If I got written up for something like that I would put a complaint in with HR and make sure that whoever is actually responsible for the gently caress up gets that poo poo on their record, not yours.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
The burning electronic smell is even worse when you work in a machine shop and you can't tell if its something out on the floor or the server room that went up in smoke

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
When I worked IT back in the day, my boss used to give everyone 5 hours a week on their time sheets for "personal education", which could be anything from studying for certs to reading tech article, college courses, etc.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
The fact that its 2000 loving 10 and there are still ethernet hubs in active use in companies makes me die a little inside.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

go3 posted:

Thats pretty much why we stopped any and all work with schools. Never in my life have I met a group of people with such terribly misplaced priorities when it comes to spending.

nthing this. When I did IT poo poo for schools, They wouldn't approve a quote for a new server to run the education software that they bought (without consulting us) that needed dual Xeon 2.4GHzs (this was in 2005), 4GB of RAM and recommended using 15K RPM SCSI drives in a RAID5. What did we have? Ancient poweredge servers with dual Xeon 667's and 1GB of RAM running ancient 10K RPM quantum fireballs I think. :v: Spending 30 grand on a mobile laptop cart that got used maybe once a year? No problem! Meanwhile the library has pentium 100's with 16MB of RAM trying to run windows 98 and IE6... :suicide:

I will never work for a poorly funded school ever again unless the pay is literally twice the other offers, the stress is just not worth it.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Crowley posted:

Been there, done that.

"ok folks, it's 15 days until we close the accounts for the year, and we have $20,000 left. Any ideas how we can spend it?"

New phones for the entire department, a few GBIC modules, a 6TB NAS, and the rest spent on "we might need this at some point" network equipment.

Yeah you can pretty much always use more spare equipment.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

go3 posted:

what kind of school is this

A mythical school that doesn't actually exist, because I've done work for dozens of them in multiple states and none of them are like this :smith:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
So wait, they got a bunch of ipod touches for classroom use...what are they going to do with them exactly? What app are they talking about using? Do they even have any of this figured out?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

warning posted:

Deployed a new computer the other day to a guy who put his upgrade on hold long enough for his current hard drive to die.

Anyway, I notice his current keyboard is using this adapter. The mouse port is not in use. Thats right, USB, to PS2, to USB.

Side note: There is a drawer full of old adapters in our stock room I'm pretty sure I can now hook up the old style pig tail IBM keyboards (I don't even know what that adapter is called) and serial mice to USB if I daisy chain some of them.

It's an AT style or a full DIN. :colbert: youngins these days.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Mine contained an Apple IIc

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
You're really barking up the wrong tree by threadshitting in here three.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I don't think I've ever actually seen multicast work with ghost before either. e: maybe its because we aren't using hubs though! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Yeah industrial electronics upgrade at a glacial pace compared to consumer electronics. Over half of the CNC machines we have still use floppies to move instructions and serial ports for diagnostics and such. Our waterjets are less than 15 years old and still use ISA cards to interface with computers. You aren't going to replace something like that unless it physically breaks so dealing with legacy standards is still very important.