Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
syphon
Jan 1, 2001

boo_radley posted:

"I need to see what Brown can do for me."
"Gotta go RTT this new Build"

('RTT' usually means Release To Test... you can guess that the last T is changed to)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syphon
Jan 1, 2001

CitizenKain posted:

Our help desk has frequent issues with punctuation and spelling, and it has gotten to the point where I now correct the tickets sent to me. I'm not saying they have to get Mr. Language Person in their tickets, but having receive spelled correctly in an ticket about email would make me a happy person.
That's another problem I often face. Our servers are named in a naming scheme, so mis-typing a number completely invalidates a ticket. For example, 'SERVER36' is very different from 'SERVER37' or 'SERVER46'. A typo in this situation can not only lead to people not fixing your problem, but accidentally destroying someone ELSES work!

syphon
Jan 1, 2001

Chunky Monkey posted:

Dell business tech support is the worst, right alongside AT&T. I called Dell recently to have an issue with onboard USB being intermittent.
Oh god I hate people like you. Sure, you MAY be right in that the motherboard is broken... but in my experience, 90% of the time you don't and you're just skipping past the whole 'reporting a problem' step and demanding an (often incorrect) fix.

This reminds me of the whole 'Web Dude vs. Sales Guy' video that made the rounds. 'Just reboot the server!'

syphon
Jan 1, 2001

Midelne posted:

the two people in Dominos' consumer base that understand strings of zeroes and ones.
Are you somehow implying that nerds don't eat pizza?

syphon
Jan 1, 2001

Dyscrasia posted:

I think he is implying that Domino's tastes like rear end.
Are you somehow implying nerds have good taste? :)

EDIT: Shut up I like Dominoes ok! :colbert:

syphon
Jan 1, 2001

Nitr0 posted:

I am not the maintenance department. That's like saying if someone put a ticket in saying "wash my car" and I said "no that's not my job" I should leave their request open?? Normally if I'm not busy I would just go up there and move it and be done with it but considering I already phoned him and explained this isn't my job I couldn't give two flying fucks about his problem.
But you didn't say 'that's not my job' you said 'I'll do it when I get time, I'm busy'.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
It doesn't work as a .gif (on my computer, the desktop just turns into a gigantic 3x3 grid), you have to use .jpg for the blur effect.

Here's one I created real quick. I don't like the black in the center though.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
This one's a bit better (I replaced the black center with a white center)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

syphon
Jan 1, 2001

sm8000 posted:

Oh my god, I can just SEE a little speech bubble here: 'Heeeeelp meeee!'

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
Working in a grocery store (or store of any kind) - When you encounter an item with no price tag, or where you have to look up the price.

"Well I guess it must be free!" :rolleyes:

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
Yeah, I'll echo that 'this thread isn't just Help Desk' comment. I work in a support role for a large tech. company's product development division. My 'end users' are other people in the product development division, all 'professionals' in their own right.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001

algo posted:

It can get a little absurd some times, what with incident bridges and war rooms and NOCs and such. You are typing away trying to fix the problem while some dude keeps bugging you for updates through your phone's headset. Then the ever so exciting 'root cause analysis' follow up.
I love it when I get called away from fixing a problem to attend a meeting aimed at determining what caused the problem.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001

bartkusa posted:

Does your company HQ have a magical number for an address?
Are you working this weekend?
Does the "E*" initiative mean anything to you?

If so, we may work for the same company.
Dude stop trying to find coworkers on SA... in this thread, specifically. :P

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
I'm a big fan of 'no@noway.net' myself.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
This is getting off-topic...

... but a neat trick is to put '+whateversite' after your e-mail address when signing up for poo poo. That way you know where spam originated from (not sure what good that does you AFTER the fact... but hey). So, when signing up for... say, facebook, I'd put 'syphon+facebook@gmail.com'. Then I'd know if Facebook is sending me spam or sold my address or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
The site is down. I told you not to do that.