Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Arsten posted:

Ticket Opener: uhenae
Ticket Description: user hard to understand/he seems to be talking about his de computer not properly syncing records
Ticket Status: closed
Ticket Remarks: u00741-user led me to bathroom/said in broken english that computer is not syncing/the toilet isnt flushing/informed user to call ext 089 next time/will tell janitorial this time/closed ticket
Ticket Bill: d00010

"Syncing records" will now go right up there along with "sending emails" and "calling my broker" as euphemisms for a trip to the men's room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Fishstick posted:

People don't read bounces or error messages. Ever. If you're lucky, they'll read the subject.

Or they'll expect you're running some kind of occult operation when the mail is returned by "MAILER-DAEMON."

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

ab0z posted:

At one point I tried to explain to him that some random guy with bullshit movie scripts that he's writing isn't a high value target like the president and he got upset and said "if you can't find the problem we'll take it somewhere that CAN".

On one hand I'd figure that for all the trouble this guy presents, it's not out of the question to tell him "your computer checks out by every tool and metric in the business, but you're certainly free to take it elsewhere from now on."

On the other, this guy sounds like the type who, if you had been so brazen as to offend him, would spend hundreds of dollars of his own money to put a flyer on every telephone pole in town saying you suck.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

potato of destiny posted:

Does anyone else have the "submit an IT request" button right next to the "submit a maintenance request" button?

At my last job, the "repair" and "software development" queues were alphabetically next to each other in RT. The developers would often get notified when there was a stopped up toilet or sink, usually about once a week or so.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Griz posted:

"When we get a new server what is the process? Can we just pop out the server blades and put them in the new server or is it a more complex process?"

"When you get a new car, do you pop off the old wiper blades and put them on the new one?"

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Griz posted:

"does oracle 5.0 can it be run on a 2003 64 bit and can it be run on Lennox"

(answer: no)

Only if you have enough bandwidth in your ductwork.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Lum posted:

Nene will be able to give you a better answer, but my guess is that since the rail companies own land which runs in long straightish lines between major cities, they can rent/sell space alongside the tracks for the likes of BT to do huge cable runs.

It's got to be a lot cheaper than laying your own cable run, digging up roads all over the place between, say, London and Liverpool.

For what it's worth, this is also how Sprint in the US got started; Southern Pacific Railroad started selling access to fiber runs on its railroad rights of way.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Chris Knight posted:

My favourite is still when people put "www." in their emails, like "www.jimsbabymomma87@yahoo.com"

On a web system I put together, I've seen people put in addresses like "joeblow @ Yahoo." The system disallows that on account of it being a completely and totally bogus address. That usually is followed up with an angry support email to me telling me the system is broken because their perfectly valid email address is not getting accepted.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Elected by Dogs posted:

This is from a webhost that I do L1 support for:

"Yes, our servers will stay up, but our billing system is automated too so don't expect free hosting just because nobody's alive to cash the checks."

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

pacheco posted:

Also, gently caress the prices. $40 for a memory install? We should do it for $10 or even free. (Except for the ones where the RAM is under the keyboard.)

They get away with it because to the folks who gladly pay $59.95 to get their car's oil changed at the dealership with the extra oil filter and wiper blade up-sells, $40 for a memory install is a bargain.

:iiaca:

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Arsten posted:

Not quite true. Home alarm systems from primary vendors (I'm sure there are snake oil vendors out there) have an extra line installed. I know that Brinks security keeps a constant connection to the homes they monitor. I can't attest to ADT. If the connection goes out, they call either the primary contact immediately, or call the police for tampering after 15 minutes of no connection. The units don't just call the vendor every so often and go "Hey, everything is super!", both sides try to actively maintain a connection, and the monitoring/home office side will escalate if they cannot.

This was not the case for the ADT system I had recently, and the Brinks system at my folks' place operates in the same manner -- it just dials out when the alarm trips. The system is wired up that when the alarm panel wants the phone line, it will disconnect all the other phones (terminating any calls that might have been going on when it was tripped, so the answering machine trick mentioned earlier wouldn't work).

The ADT salesman tried to use this to his advantage, by asking "but what if someone cuts your phone line?" to lead into a sales pitch for an extremely expensive cellular modem and monthly service add-on.

[/hijack]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I'm curious if anyone can produce a ticket related to an UN-important meeting. One where the VIPs on the other end of the concall can wait for ten minutes for a resolution, where there's no VIPs at all, or better yet, where the host actually went into the room ahead of time to verify all the equipment is in order.

Yeah, I thought so.