Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Honey Im Homme posted:

My boss got an email about some lovely job that needed doing and instead of asking the person who sent it to him to follow procedure and submit a ticket he turns to me and tells me to input a ticket for said user and then go and complete the job.

Get hosed you worthless oval office.
Is it not your job?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

It's just that if you'd read his post and the part you quoted properly, you'd have seen very clearly he was making a joke.

But hey, it's Friday. We're all exhausted :shobon:

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

new ticket posted:

I sent three pages to be printed but there was an error.

edit: ah, printer jam.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I feel like all I've done this last week is unjam printers, shake and replace toner. WE'RE A SMALL COMPANY. 30 people. I know people have recently been complaining about the personal printers people have. I just don't understand what most of these people are printing.

My real problem is that most of my office is spread over two floors with three flights of stairs between them. I wiped out rollerblading a couple weekends ago and my knee was bad until yesterday.

I'm supposed to be a programmer, ha.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Null Set posted:

People that get free tech support:
1. Parents
2. People you want to/are having sex with
3. People you owe a favor to

All others pay cash or alcohol. May vary depending on abuse of the privilege.
Fixing it for "want to" is desperation and pretty much guarantees they won't.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Girlfriend just sent me this. Using images to properly convey what this lady did. I also have to censor the crap out of it, sorry.

Prof. emeritus at an ivy league school.

Perhaps my girlfriend should have been able to figure out a Toronto number probably wasn't "work", but it couldn't hurt to confirm anyway.

Also love the so-called logic that the ticket surcharge is what's preventing the sale from going through.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

No, she gave the name of a US school in her signature. Who knows how real it is. Googling her name brought up some books written, but nothing about ever having been a professor.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Pixelboy posted:

Calling anything in Toronto 'ivy league' is a wild, wild strech.
My wording was poor, but "emeritus" means retired. She was a processor at a US ivy league school, and apparently retired in Toronto.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

THIS NEEDS TO EXIST

http://www.toothpastefordinner.com/index.php?date=050611

Only registered members can see post attachments!

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Kaboobi posted:

WHY WASN'T ALL MY DESKTOP SAVED INTO THE CLOUD
I'm saving desktops to the a cloud.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Crowley posted:

While I'm whining over my own incompetence: Adobe reader has decided that some users don't need to view PDF-files in their browsers and just shows a grey screen instead and crash the browser a minute later. I've googled for a while and can't figure it out, so for now I've resorted to having PDFs open in the reader (running alone, outside the browser). Any ideas for that one?
What's the browser in question? I'm just thinking that Chrome has its own PDF rendering stuff going on nowadays too.

But agreed, I've had a similar thing come up and just opening outside the browser works and is less confusing for our users. But god drat do they ever hate any kind of change.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Farking Bastage posted:

I just had someone tell me that the shortcut to their desktop is missing. :shepicide:
I get this all the time... I'm sure you know what they actually mean, but http://support.microsoft.com/kb/190355

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

couldcareless posted:

Next time I wake up in the morning and decide I'm feeling pretty good and coffee won't be necessary, I'm going to slap myself.
I keep a kettle, a manual grinder and a melitta on my desk.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

You're not going to elaborate?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

How long have you been in the workforce? It doesn't matter what the gently caress it is, sociopaths/morons always lie and try to cover their asses. Nothing is ever anyone's own fault. Computers, missed deadlines, lost clients, etc. It's like "group work" in school :suicide:

edit: the trick is to learn to do it yourself too. Otherwise they're the ones getting the raises and becoming the boss and you're just a perpetual hard-working bitter scapegoat.

I don't sound jaded do I?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

brc64 posted:

Sure, that's why you have 4 different IE toolbars installed...

The root of the problem, of course, is that we have just given up all hope of trying to properly lock down our customers' computers and let them run everything as admin. On the plus side, it ensures that they will always need to purchase support time from us...

Who's the jaded one now!?
Haha that's terrible (letting them run as admin), but at least you're profiting from it.

Apparently they just took away admin from our users about a month before I started. Glad I wasn't there for that.

My current ticket/peeve is that our one web designer apparently somehow miscommunicated with my boss (IT head) and the controller and now needs Fireworks and Dreamweaver. What I don't understand is that the controller is EXTREMELY reluctant to buy our web designer loving Dreamweaver (I've mentioned earlier he wants to see if he can get by with OSS Kompozer), yet the five people in the print department have entire bloody Adobe suites.

(Posted from my BlackBerry while drinking at the local pub)

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Cup of Hemlock posted:

What motivated you guys to get into IT in the first place? It sounds really fascinating. I'll take my answer outside the thread (as in, anybody want to start an Ask/Tell?)
Just a nerd with no other marketable skills. I didn't even take courses in it, just aptitude.

I tried starting on the ground floor of a company as a temp doing basic white collar office work with the naive intention of "working my way up." I did get hired on full-time eventually, but I ended up with piles of responsibility with poor compensation. I was handling their most valuable international client, doing all the marketing design/html, took over their ColdFusion website, quality assurance of their publications (what I was originally hired to do) etc. They were paying 37.5K and wouldn't negotiate until I put in my resignation.

I switched to the government for a job that turned out to be bait & switch in so many ways. It sounded like a great job investigating fraud, but turned out to be 95% clerical work and 5% dealing with the dregs of society. In addition, they moved me to another office over an hour from home and it was costing me over $200 a month in public transit. Management was beyond frustrating, nevermind the whole union environment.

I found this job opening through an acquaintance who was related to the owners. The unrelated IT head interviewed me and was convinced I knew my poo poo. I haven't let them down since. I was actually hired as a Junior Web Programmer, but the vast majority of my time is spent fixing inept user stuff.

I don't mean to imply our users are stupid; many are very old and struggle with UIs, especially when we upgrade.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

peak debt posted:

Fake AVs stopped needing UAC confirmations on Windows ages ago. You don't need admin rights to display scary popups.
Welp a user just got it here for the first time. Claims it was a complete driveby, who knows. He definitely doesn't have admin rights though. It even disabled the task manager.

I'm hoping System Restore takes care of it...

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

What executes it?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Scikar posted:

If they haven't got local admin then it's normally installed to C:\Users\<User>\AppData and only for that user, so you can log on as admin afterwards and clear it out.
I couldn't find anything obvious in there anyway. Oh well, here's hoping.

What a headache. Got a "The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed" error trying to log back in. Googling suggests leaving and reentering the domain would fix it, but nobody knows any of the local admin passwords here.

Luckily the domain admin profile was cached so I could just unplug ethernet to get in.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Once I was in, I reset it to something known, but I'll keep that in mind for later.

The infection he got was "MS Removal Tool."

It installed itself under C:\ProgramData so I missed the first time. I think I got it now by clearing his temp and the installation folder. Not sure how exactly it was executing itself still.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Went away for lunch and shortly I left, the first guy's neighbour got infected as well. Really hope this is it.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

MS Removal Tool is back on one of the two previously infected computers. Not sure whether I failed or I should strangle the user.

Our smtp server can't reach our own email addresses after our the Google Apps migration was completed, so any server sent mail can't be tested.

My three direct superiors are all gone for various reasons ... so I'm the point of contact and solver of every single IT issue for today.

edit: another one

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

OH SWEET it's probably our main homepage that's infected. I don't even know how to figure out where the worm is coming from. Nothing obvious in the source that comes to my browser. There's so much PHP and MySQL stuff it draws from :(

edit: unless it's coming in from the Nielsen rankings or Google Analytics tags. That would be awesome. :D

edit2: I'm pretty sure it's our site now, but I cannot find any advice on removing it from the source rather than individual infections.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

quote:

To: (mystery supposedly not-working email alias)
Date: 3 June 2011 09:18
Subject: Please reply - test

Just testing... please let me know if you received this
-Mark

quote:

To: (me)
Date: 3 June 2011 09:42
Subject: Re: Please reply - test

Mark

I have received your test message of Friday, June 3, 2011 ... I must say that it was one of the most powerful test messages that I have ever received during the course of the time that I have used e-mail.

I can't tell you what it means to see this kind of creativity and I must commend your commitment to making the English language come alive in e-mail format.

I just want to thank you for making the effort ... too many people simply say "test" in this type of message which leaves the recipient feeling no more than a cog in a wheel; something to be used in the unceasing forward march of technology as it mercilessly rolls over the rubble of human communication.

Again, thank you for this ... and for the love of language, keep sending these great "test" messages ... one man (or woman) can change the way we communicate with e-mail ...

Bob

quote:

To: Bob
Date: 3 June 2011 10:05
Subject: Please reply - test

Dear Bobert,

I appreciate you having taken your valuable company time -- over 20 minutes -- to respond to my query. So many people simply reply "it's working," thus only giving valuable immediate feedback, but you made up for the delay with quality and quantity. Your florid demonstration of language was a truly a pedantic sight to behold.

Ah, "pedantic," such an ironic word in that one cannot use it without being pedantic oneself. But I digress.

I apologise for my previous verboseness; I felt it absolutely necessary to make it crystal clear that I required a reply. Had I known that address was in fact directed to such a distinguished gentleman as yourself, I could have steadfastly relied on you to understand.

Yours truly in these trying times,
Mark

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

captkirk posted:

I was really sad when I started my current job and no one had seen the IT Crowd.
That's the story here. I don't want to buy the DVDs though until it's finished and I can get them all in one fell swoop. (They're all on Netflix for personal viewing in the meantime.)

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Ticketing system for employees to request password resets or report tool problems.

I drink. A lot.

Edit: I should mention that the tool <employee> is trying to get action on is critical to his/her job function and, yes, this ticket is still open.
I feel like if "my" users (everyone else in IT has abandoned me for the summer) had a ticketing system just for that, and were aware of it, knew how to access it, and understood how to use it... they'd probably not need it in the first place.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Farking Bastage posted:

The next person who " just wants to put it on (my) radar" is going to just get put in a landfill.

We should touch base and have a face-to-face offline where we think outside the box and run the numbers about the cloud paradigm and whether it's a good fit for our company so we can hit a home run.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Can't believe I forgot some of those.

But my absolute pet peeve is motherfucking "touch base."

I have a phone message permanently etched in my head from a job-interview call-back where the guy used that phrase 12 times. I played it on speakerphone for my roommates and we counted.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I just BROUGHT A COMPUTER BACK TO LIFE!!!!!!!

I turned the power bar back on.

If you don't see me post for a few years it's because I'm in jail after murdering this user. This is the same guy that kept kicking the cables out the back of his computer. I finally physically moved the box and rerouted all the cables to make it impossible to do that, yet he found another way.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

madmaan posted:

You do understand at this point the user is either doing it purposely or someone is doing it to him?
He's like a big old kid that kicks his feet. I thought I'd moved everything out of his reach that could cause damage.

I should prop heavy objects over his head, or maybe just leave pointy objects nearby for him to play with.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Yeah yeah I'll find a more permanent solution. I just can't over how stupid a guy has to be to continue to do things like that and think the computer is broken.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I just got a "soup to nuts." Been a while since I heard that one.

Tangentially related, anyone experienced with qnap nas raid5 data recovery? :( (or more likely, have a service they'd recommend)

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

teethgrinder posted:

Tangentially related, anyone experienced with qnap nas raid5 data recovery? :( (or more likely, have a service they'd recommend)
I was considering sticking the drives into a PC and trying to rebuild the raid5, but now that I've seen the physical drives, I might not bother.

Caviar Green.

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY :cry:

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Our RAID5 failed last week as I've mentioned a few times. OnTrack estimated $7000-15000 :D

Only a few users' data was on it (including mine) as it was just being tested as we transitioned to preventing users from saving data locally. It was supposed to start backing up to THE CLOUD in a couple of weeks, but we never made it.

Unfortunately the vice-president's financials for her private business were on it. Fortunately for me, the network admin, her nephew, set it up.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

My strategy is to scarf my lunch at my desk, and when I'm interrupted, so be it. But then I later leave for a good hour to do whatever. I work close enough to good shops, bike stores, etc. There are plenty of pubs around, and an indie coffee shop with a hidden patio. I need to make a point of going there regularly and get some reading done. Well worth the $3-5 to sit there an hour. Casa Loma is nearby if I feel I need something more scenic, but I'm a little bored walking that way.

-------

What's been pissing me off every day for almost three weeks is that my boss has been on vacation, and now I'm privy to her atrocious ASP code. I don't even know ASP beyond comprehending code in general. But her poo poo is spread over three MySQL databases + occasionally an Access one. Her sites often validate just by a username ... the password is just for show. Everything she's done is hacked together with the same lovely awful reused code. :barf:

She regularly chastises the senior dev and me for not documenting enough, but I haven't seen a single comment in any of her work.

For some reason she hacked apart some automated PHP sites with methods for our users to edit the content created by the senior dev, and has been inputting all changes through the back-end. We weren't aware of this until she was gone and the requests started coming to us instead. And she complains about being overworked.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

A ticket came in...

We've switched to Zendesk.

It's nice, and ALL tech-related requests must come through it. But the best part?? We get to lock our door until people start using the effing ticketing system. :neckbeard:

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Whatever, Google Apps now supports (IMAP) folders for your labels :toot:

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

What kind of salary difference are you talking though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

A dozen tickets came in...

quote:

Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the recipient domain. We recommend contacting the other email provider for further information about the cause of this error. The error that the other server returned was: 554 554 The message was rejected because it contains prohibited virus or spam content (state 18).

Apparently we're on another spam blacklist. I get to spend the rest of my day calling clients' IT departments trying to get our domain unblocked.