Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.
This is tangentially related...

I work for a large telecommunications company. The job I do requires a large inventory of specialized and expensive tools. These tools have to be ordered through a nightmarishly complicated and confusing piece of poo poo interface working off of SAP software. I swear to god, I believe the system is so byzantine and offensively user-hostile so that most of the older employees will just get scared and never order anything again.
I'm a self-loathing idiot so I just blindly plow through the poorly-written documentation and manage to figure out all the logistics and accounting lingo and place an order. For a screwdriver. Just a plain old #3 Phillips. It costs $35.00 and takes 4 weeks to arrive.
By contrast I could have gone to Lowe's or Harbor Freight and purchased a screwdriver for $15.00 (or less at HF) WITH A LIFETIME WARRANTY and had it within 20 minutes.
In following the company's ideal workflow for obtaining a plain-old stupid screwdriver I took 2 hours of self-training at the loaded labor rate of $75.00 per hour and an additional $35.00 for the tool for a grand total of $185.00. If I just went and got the goddamn thing retail I could have done it on a parts run or on my way into or out of work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU