Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

UserNotFound posted:

Wonderful, you've figured out how Excel 2003 operates. And you've confirmed that that's how it works. Now, instead of that X your hitting to close, hit the one right below it...

You can tell I love our 2nd floor...

To be fair, that is a pretty stupid and non-standard feature in Excel 2003. Its a pain in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

c0burn posted:

At least on Office 2003 -

Word and Excel take up multiple taskbar entries. One for each open file.
Top right close in Excel will close ALL of your open documents.
Top right close in Word will close that document only.

gently caress you Microsoft.

This is what I was talking about. Its silly to trap a user inside of that grey box and even sillier to have different UI behaviors in the same product suite.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

haljordan posted:

I've had clients swear at me until they're blue in the face. I've found its much much MUCH easier to just let them vent. If you try and say to them "OK you swore at me, I won't help you now", then poo poo really hits the fan. They're not really mad at you, so you just learn to ignore it.

I think it depends though. You say clients, as in people that hire your company for support? They can abuse you a bit more because your business depends on them. I am not going to let an internal employee abuse me though, I would report them to HR.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

scottch posted:

Maybe you could try moving it to a different BES and reactivating it. That seems to fix most Blackberry issues.

Including being run over by a tractor? I had no idea blackberrys where that stout.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

syphon posted:

Are you somehow implying that nerds don't eat pizza?

I think he is implying that Domino's tastes like rear end.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

maxkool posted:

Getting anything useful from our help desk is like pulling teeth. Then to make everything worse they have about a 2 month turn over rate. Once we get someone trained to at least ask a question their out.

This is a gem that I got last week

I just don't know what to say.

I get that daily. But instead its over the phone. They say "Oh yea, I am getting an error, it says error: 'blah blah blah'". Then of course, I have to say "So, that part where you said 'blah blah blah', what does it say?"

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

underlig posted:

That's really an issue with every computer user in the world, they'll happily acknowledge that there was an error message but none of them actually read or try to understand the message.

"yeah i got a message, i dont know what it said".

True, but I meant those as actual quotes. I get the user to recreate the error on their end and I asked them to read me the message. This user actually said "Oh, it says error blah blah blah" after I specifically asked for it to be read to me.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

Richard Noggin posted:

I had a customer complain that Outlook was slow to open. I remoted in and found 30,000 emails in Deleted Items. I emptied the Deleted Items folder, and Outlook became much snappier. I got a phone call later in the day asking where all her emails were. Turns out she puts email she wants to save in Deleted Items. :ughh:

I had this today.

I said: Would you complain if you put important documents in your garbage, and the next day it was gone because the cleaning crew emptied the trash, just like they do every night? If you want to save something, do not put it in the trash.

This is because we have a policy that makes Outlook prompt for you to delete everything in your deleted items folder whenever you close Outlook.

Dyscrasia fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Feb 13, 2009

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

scottch posted:

If you're using folders in QuickLaunch, you should try the Links bar instead. Rather than opening a window with your shortcuts in it, it'll pop up a menu. Unless they've changed that in Vista.

Ive always found "Free Launch Bar" to work quite well for this. I do not use it in Vista, but in XP I am able to add a bunch of menus in my quicklaunch. Ive got one menu with a bunch of mapped drives, one with my Citrix desktops and one with my applications.

It also lets me pick any icon I want for the menu.
Im sure you can work out all of the functionality without it, but its a nice program and works well.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Ive got some security cam software from some lovely company who's website is in engrish. It has a web interface that our security people use. The problem is that you simply cannot install the plugin in IE7. Ive tried everything I can to get it to install, but it refuses. It installs fine on IE6. The funny thing is that it you get it working on IE6, then upgrade to IE7, it will work fine too, it just will not install.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

Fishstick posted:

Depending on what kind of filtering package you use, set up a ham/spam adress and tell users to send spam they still get to spam@ . This actually has an effect and placates users too since they get to "do" something about it.

This is how my setup works, but then they complain that there is no confirmation email when they send something to the isspam address... I thought they wanted LESS email.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Best part about bayes filtering is that you can astound users by saying "its a learning computer, just like the Terminator", so keep sending that spam to spam@xxx.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

osigas posted:

If my first year doing helpdesk has taught me anything, it's that users have no patience.

I always document my stuff. If its a common issue, I write up step by step instructions.

Upon recieving a 5 step guide on how to, perhaps, hook up the corporate calendar in Outlook, I always get "I have to go through ALL of this!?", which leaves me dumbfounded, its not even a page long!

I wonder how some of my coworkers even made it through high school.

Dyscrasia fucked around with this message at 15:29 on May 28, 2009

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
The other amazing thing is the Brother PCL5e Generic driver.

Yes, one driver that works with every Brother PCL printer, and it works perfectly.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Just now I had a great one come in.

She says: I am not getting my email until like 3 days later. Is there a problem?

I open up her mailbox in my copy of Outlook. I see all the email she is talking about, send her a test and everything is fine.

We use Citrix, but every time I am about to shadow her to take a look, she logs out because "rebooting" will obviously fix it.

Finally today, she is still complaining. I actually get a chance to shadow her and see whats happening.

My response ended up being: Try pressing the plus signs next to "Today" and "Yesterday".

I should have known because this is not the first time one of my users has not figured out the whole plus/minus thing in a tree view.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

Lum posted:

The vast majority of American beer here is Bud/Coors/Miller etc.

I can see how it might be a little harsh, it would be like having UK beers judged purely by Carlsberg/John Smiths/Boddingtons etc.

Why is it only the poo poo beers from each country tend to get exported, not just the UK and US, I bet in Australia Fosters and Castlemane XXXX are considered to be poo poo too.

If you know where to look, you can find lots of good stuff from all over. Its just not going to be at your average supermarket or liquor store.

Ive had a bunch of different Samuel Smith's and Fuller's from the UK and they were awesome. I love Newcastle too, but that can be found at gas stations.

Of course I am in Wisconsin, whose inhabitants are known for their love of beer.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

brc64 posted:

This morning our receptionist transferred a call to me saying "[female client] would love for you to work your magic on her basket." Between having just woken up and not yet eaten anything, that took me aback a bit.

Reminds me of the Qwiktrip gas station commercials where some lady goes on and on about her "Magic Box". The radio commercials are even better because she goes on and on about how great and wonderful her "magic box" is.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

porktree posted:

Ya'll approach this from the wrong direction. ROI is the bottom line, you put the numbers together how much it would cost to enable something, present it to the CIO as a cost, and give him the ability to say yes or no based upon the return of that cost and you should wind up doing what's good for your company. Our IT department has a policy of never telling anyone 'No' - we just tell them how much it's going to affect the budget and things tend to work themselves out.

This has a pretty good side effect of limiting frivolous requests because no one wants to look like a fool for asking for a $50K solution so they can have 2 of their staff use Mac's to vpn into the network from home 4 hours a week (AND because this is SA, that's not a real example, and I don't need information about how this wouldn't cost that much).

It also let's new tech in that would help the business when over-controlling anal-retentive IT folks want to shut down anything new because they're threatened. Win-win.

This is the way to go.

"We want Photoshop because Publisher is garbage."
"Well, thats a great idea, Publisher IS garbage. We need approval for $500 per user from your supervisor."

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

CitizenKain posted:

Problem came in last night, user couldn't reach a webpage, a quick check showed the site was misclassified by Smartfilter, we do send the site to them to be reclassified, try the site again after noon, and send ticket back to HD.

8AM, ticket returns, with "Site is still blocked". I check smartfilter's site, see its been reclassified, check our filter, its due to install the new filterlist in about a half-hour. Sure enough, half our later, site is working, send ticket back with "Site is working, webfilter hadn't updated yet, which is why you were told to wait in the first ticket."

Patience is non-existant.

Email may as well be renamed to imail (instant mail) as far as my users are concerned.

"I signed up for this newsletter 30 seconds ago and have not gotten it yet, can you look through the email logs to see if it was blocked by the spam filter!?!"

I used to actually look, but now, I say wait 30-60 minutes for it to get through greylisting. If you do not get it by then, check your spam report in the morning. If still nothing, give me a call.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Ive got a small window, but it faces the back of our building/employee parking. There is a fence that I can see with the tops of houses above.

Its a hell of a view.

At least I get natural light. I cannot stand that flourecent crap, gives me a headache.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Exactly. If you can't read normal print on a screen at that res, you can't read a newspaper either, and you need reading glasses. I've known people who needed glasses, but walked around not being able to see because they didn't like how they looked with glasses. I've never understood this thinking.

Or, hey, I need glasses but do not like what I look like with them. Get contacts. Sure, your vision gets worse with age, thats why you go to your annual eye exam to get a prescription increase. Not sure I will ever understand it.

Edit: No idea about reading contact lenses... Get contacts so you can see walking around, and reading glasses for when you need to read.

Dyscrasia fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Nov 12, 2009

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

Serious Business posted:

So I see a lot of people saying they drink to make things better.

I've been considering it for a while due to the fact that I can guarantee on a bad rear end headache/migraine every loving day of the week. I don't get them on the weekends so I know it is stress/anxiety related from my farmer/redneck user-base trying to operate computers.

Anyway, my question to you is how do you hide the smell of alcohol on you when you have to physically go to the luser's computer and fix it?

Find that whiskey that Kramer drinks on an episode of Seinfeld. No Smell!!!!

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

monkeybounce posted:

Exactly!

I have to say, Server 2008 has included some pretty awesome features that make my life a helluva lot easier. All you do is create a template that either allows or disallows certain file extensions. I've got a template that denies MP3, Divx, AVI, etc on all shares. Only allows PDF on the share for the scanner, denies exe, dll, vbs, scr, etc on home shares.

I don't have to run scripts and send emails when users have put their music collection or pirated movies on the server. I don't have to worry about some jackass uploading smilies.scr to the open share.

Note that this also works on 2003 R2. I have similar filters set up on my Citrix servers to prevent users from playing videos and music through Citrix in IE.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

AutoArgus posted:

If the user is smart enough to rename it from .mp3 to .whatever (most media players will still play it if it detects the data inside is an mp3), will this filter that out too? Got enough "knows just enough to be dangeorus" types around here that could figure that out if they knew thats why it was being filtered.

I believe its just a file type filter, as in it just looks at the extension. So yes, I think someone smart enough to rename an .mp3 would be able to bypass it.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

Casao posted:

You think it's a joke. The thing is, it's not.

Exactly, I am writing this poo poo down.

After drinking it on tap at the Essen Haus, Warsteiner has become my weapon of choice.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

golgo13sf posted:

Ah, but did you drink it out of the boot?

Cannot afford the deposit on the boot I am afraid. And it was the end of a bar crawl when I stopped there. So I either would have lost my deposit, or spilled the beer all over myself. Or both.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

AlexDeGruven posted:

You laugh as though nobody has actually seen this happen.

Read the thread (or the 'Things that piss you off' thread, possibly). There's at least one instance of that very occurrence. Though, I believe the user used google to search for Yahoo, and then did their search.

I do often see people use search engines as an address bar. Like they type https://www.msn.com in their google search.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

TheRealLuquado posted:

Just came in my email from my boss:

Tomorrow is going to be fun.

The president of our company has knocked over the PC under the table in our conference room. Twice. Both times he managed to wreck the HDD. At least now we finally got approval for a mount under the table to prevent it from being knocked over.

Pretty cheap actually. It only took a loss of $100 to get approval for a $30 bracket that could have prevented the issue in the first place.

Here, its kind of like Zapp Brannigan.
"But its an emergency!!!"
"Call me when its a catastrophe."

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

Help Email posted:

READ IMMEDIATELY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HI ALL THIS was sent to me by our son who is in charge of the computers for the state of Florida -- whenever he receives anything like this it is a warning to the State as well as all us little people --

VERY IMPORTANT , PLEASE READ THIS

Anyone-using Internet mail such as Yahoo, Hotmail, AOL and so on. This information arrived this morning, Direct from both Microsoft and Norton Please send it to everybody you know who has Access to the Internet. You may receive an apparently harmless e-mail titled 'Mail Server Report' If you open either file, a message will appear on your screen saying: 'It is too late now, your life is no longer beautiful....'

Subsequently you will LOSE EVERYTHING IN YOUR PC, And the person who sent it to you will gain access to your Name, e-mail and password. This is a new virus which started to circulate on Saturday afternoon. AOL has already confirmed the severity, and the anti virus software's are not capable of destroying it.

The virus has been created by a hacker who calls himself 'life owner'.

PLEASE SEND A COPY OF THIS E-MAIL TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS, And ask them to PASS IT ON IMMEDIATELY!

THIS HAS BEEN CONFIRMED BY SNOPES.

http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/mailserver.asp

Wow thanks, I am really interested in this chain mail. Oh, you say its been confirmed by snopes? I read the snopes article. It says that this chain email is full of poo poo AND its dated for 2006. I am really glad one of my users felt the need to share this with us.

Also, "my son who's good with computers told me about this" hahahaha

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

IT Guy posted:

This profession could be so great but it's the ignorance of people you have to deal with everyday that really makes it awful.

I understand that. Its really been wearing on me recently.

Just yesterday I got a call.

"[software] is printing to the wrong printer!!!"
"OK, change your printer to the one you want"
"Oh thanks, it works now!!"

This warranted a telephone call. I wish so badly that we could bill our time out to the departments.

I need a vacation.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

nene posted:

I've just had a ticket come in asking for a new firewall policy to allow something through. It contains the words "I have no idea what ports are required."

:suicide:

I had a similar situation, but it was with a bank website not working, and a "it broke fix it."

Turns out I needed to open a port in our firewall to get that website working. At least the port was listed right in the link, and I was able to make a specific hole just for that computer instead of a catch all.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

Casao posted:

Because it sounds like he was on the stairs and not at a desk, duh.

All helping her will do is show her that she gets faster service by going straight to you and bypassing your help desk.

Not exactly fair to place people that followed the proper channels behind someone that skipped them.

Unless of course its a VP or CEO or your boss or someone like that.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
I just printed almost 200 pages from our copiers. We track the number of prints so we can bill them to project numbers. It took 200 pages between 5 copiers to get all of this information. I wonder who those 200 pages get billed to.

Of course who can forget the labor time it takes our head Accountant to go through and do whatever is done with that information.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

brc64 posted:

Serious question: In environments where people do things correctly (I've never seen such a mythical place), how exactly do you go about testing updates? Would you have a dedicated test server and workstation? And if so, would it be segregated from the rest of the network? And who does the testing/how thorough of a test is performed? Half the poo poo that breaks from updates that I've seen tends to be obscure stuff that the users end up discovering on their own anyway.

How would you even do this with a single dedicated server and workstation? It seems like updates rarely break a vanilla server, its always a DC or Exchange server or something running a 3rd party service of some sort. For me to test updates like that, I would need a duplicate of nearly every server.

As an example,
I have:
A BES
print server
GPS tracking server
2 DC's
Exchange server
Xenapp clone servers
xenapp master server
a few web servers
smtp/anti-spam server
Utility server with WSUS, AV console etc...

It seems like each of these would have a different potential to be broken by updates based on the installed software. Do you have a seperate test platform for each configuration?

Dyscrasia fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Apr 2, 2010

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

Farking Bastage posted:

I wish Icons were never invented. That's all I have to say about today. OPEN A MOTHER loving MENU CRETINS

Same thing with Office and its recent files list. Sure, it makes life easier, but now no one has any clue where they save their files. They just say "Well, it shows up when I open Excel".

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

AutoArgus posted:

Not mine, but one of the other guys I work with got an "Outlook is slow, affecting ability to do buisness, important client-facing emails" last night.

Woman had 15 archives connected, each over 3gb in size (I could've sworn those things tended to explode past 2gb, but by god shes doing it), all hosted on network storage, and goddamnit, IT needs to FIX this!

Bonus: Once she had finally been convinced that the archives were the problem, her solution was "Well what if I make more folders, and split each one in half?"

15 is not so bad. I have one person that has 105 pst files. She has years upon years of email packed away. She always complains about Outlook crashes. I have finally convinced her to only keep the ones she needs open and attached to Outlook, but thats still at least 50. Luckly not many are more than 1GB in size, with most of them much smaller.

She has a decent computer, I wanted to give her a local copy of Outlook (we run Citrix otherwise) and move the PSTs to her local PC and run everything from there. I got some vague hand waving about how they had tried that in the past. They do not remember what happened, all they know is it did not work.

It would never fly to imply that our IT person down at that office, while great with accounting systems and databases, is fairly useless with normal IT functions.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

brc64 posted:

That reminds me, I had a lady I was helping on the phone try to set me up with her daughter one time. That was awkward. And a little creepy, since the lady had never actually met me.

I have had that too. Apparently one of the ladies at an office a couple states away thought I had a really sexy voice. Whatever makes em happy I guess.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

Dick Trauma posted:

How does an admin assistant in her mid-30s not know how to make a folder on the desktop? :psyduck:

I just finished teaching a weekly basic computer usage class.

First thing I went through was how to copy and paste files. Minds were blown, let me tell you.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

Xir posted:

From what I know of Admin Assistants, if she's not the sharpest knife in the drawer, she's probably a good looking one. Or at least her boss thinks she is.

Just remember that if a president or CEO or whatever is anything like any other guy, he probably likes him some big tits.

Sometimes this stuff is almost comical. The president of a construction portion of the company I work for hired a woman to do accounting work, payroll, that kind of stuff. She has awful reading comprehension and is all around clueless. But drat does she have a huge rack. He really could not have been more obvious when he hired her. I suppose its OK, because when she messes something up, the employees that actually do fix it are not part of his portion of the business, so any work they perform is not charged to him.

Dyscrasia fucked around with this message at 20:58 on May 21, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Alternately, they may not be dumb, but just unambitious. If you're comfortable with your job, and you make enough money, why would you go looking for more work?

We also might have a lovely economy right now, or you may be in a city with very few IT positions available, or both. I have a promising phone interview next week though, so I may overcome!