Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Cyberdud posted:

I love how we have network storage and people still store files on their desktop. We told them a hundred times that if they didn't, when their computers would die they would lose everything.

Guess what happens?

Not in IT, but I have a lovely story for this one. I work security at a very large hospital complex, and I'm the ITish guy for our department (loading our software package on new computers, troubleshooting, etc), in addition to my normal patrol/dispatch duties (which are almost non-existant at this point). We just got a rollout of new HP desktops yesterday, replacing everything at all our security desks, both the PCs in our squadroom, and the PCs in our dispatch center. We sent out an email two weeks ago, one week ago, and last thursday, telling everyone to make sure that anything they had stored locally got moved to their network share by midnight Sunday, or it would be gone forever. With as much moving around as we do, I don't understand why anyone would have anything stored locally anyways, as you may only be at one of the security desks for one shift a week, if not longer, whereas if it's on the network drive, it's accessible everywhere.

Well, poo poo you not, I get a call first thing yesterday morning after they swapped the PCs out down in dispatch that someone couldn't log on to the dispatching program, the camera monitoring program, or either of the access control and alarm monitoring systems. Turns out she had created a wordpad file on the desktop of both the command center PCs that had her username and passwords for all the dispatching software in it. Which is doubly retarded because while noone else pulls up her desktop when they log in, none of the local user files are restricted (IT policy, and I've tried to have it changed), and anyone could have browsed to her user directory and pulled up her logins. Which doesn't sound like a big deal until you realize that anyone could have used her login to unlock, open, hard secure, or otherwise generally mess with any card-access door on campus, including the BSLIII facility over in the research complex.

They need to start paying me IT rates for this poo poo, I swear to God.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

Here's the horror story that I dumped on IT today 30 minutes before my shift image. Copying the email I sent to a friend of mine from work.

quote:

One of our dispatch PCs crashed today. J**** decided to reboot it
after the screen resolution wouldn't change to her liking (it's on a
22" Wide LCD with 1440x900 native and everyone runs it streched at
1024x768. It quit stretching today and would display 1024x768 with
bars on the sides, top and bottom, and that pissed her off).

After she rebooted it, it would get about 15 seconds into the XP
loading screen then restart, repeat ad inifitium.

Called IT after I couldn't get it working, and find out that our two
access control geniuses, rather than actually installing all the
software we use on the computers after they got them from IT with the
default system image and creating a new recovery image for them,
re-imaged them with the drive image from the old PCs (which were 3+
years old). So rather than running Vista Business with proper group
policy and motherboard/graphics drivers, it's running XP and default
XP system drivers rather than the proper drivers for the machine it's
running on. IT is pissed.

The two guys in my department that admin the access control and alarm systems for the hospital decided that rather than re-installing all the software the needed to be installed on the two new dispatch PCs (HP vPro C2Ds), they'd just re-image them with the disc image they used on the old dispatch PCs (HP P4 workstations from late 05). They have a mild defense is that the contract we have with the software makers stipulates that we administer the database they use but we have to call them for all configuration and installations, so they've been using a single disc image to do all the department's PCs.

I hate my department sometimes. All of our systems are configured by people who work in the office and never work with the system in a live situation, so what seems intuitive to them in their bubble is fuckall complicated and counterintuitive when you add the fire monitoring system, dispatch console, camera monitoring software, and two separate access control systems together and toss in a couple dozen ringing phone lines and a dispatch radio, and micromanaging office people hopping on the radio (without using proper radio procedure and inevitably hopping on in the middle of a critical incident).

CommanderApaul fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Feb 12, 2009

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

XarsonX posted:

Unfortunately I have been doing this long enough that I know what they are trying to do 90% of the time without having to ask. It is unfortunate because I would think I would be used to it, but it still frustrates me after all these years when they say "I can't login". I know what they can't login to I just wish they would tell me without further prompting sometimes.
95% of my callers are nurses and I bet they would get just as upset if someone came into the emergency room and just said "it hurts". I don't know if that actually happens to nurses...

I guess the point I am trying to make is I do use that technique often, and I agree it is useful. It's just that callers frustrate me more than they should and it feels good to vent in this thread.

I have no idea how some of the people at my work have been doing phone support for 10+ years. If I wasn't going to school I would have moved to second level support a long time ago.

Slinging phones stresses me out...

On top of having done IT work, I've also worked in a hospital in a law-enforcement capacity, and my wife is an RN. LE wise, we get the same poo poo in the form of "HE BEAT ME HE BEAT ME TAKE HIM TO JAIL" "Ok ma'am, where did he hit you" "Well, he didn't HIT me, but he said some mean things NOW TAKE HIM TO JAIL." "Ok, goodbye ma'am." And RN wise, they get the "OMG IT HURTS IT HURTS" *gives person a sandwich, juice, and a bag of IV saline* "I feel sooo much better now, thank you." Insert pain medicine in the RN story for real hard cases.

So rejoice that it isn't just IT dealing with liars, exaggerators and idiots, it's all of us. :)

CommanderApaul fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Apr 7, 2009

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

Rock Steady posted:

Not a ticket, but an email sent to the largest branch of the company.

:ughh: I really hate mass company emails. We usually get one a week about stupid stuff like this but this one is probably the worst I've seen (so far).

We get people that send these out all the time about lost USB drives and the like. It was a write-up until we had 5 of them go out in one day, then the head of HR got pissed off and it's now a terminable offense to send an "All Groupwise Users" email without the approval of the unit director.

You'd think it'd be easier to just disable the "All GW Users" address for everyone under VP or Director level. But then we wouldn't be sending everyone the "Radiology Case of the Week" or "Roman Catholic Communion Mass" emails on a weekly basis.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

gwon posted:

Not really a ticket, but gently caress this is a pain in the arse.

My sisters 21st birthday today, due to meet her and the family for drinks at 8pm.. It's now 5.30pm.

The AC unit in our server room has blown, throwing the temperature up to 37 degress celsius. We're in the middle of a heat wave and it just overloaded and died.

I now have to wait around until the guys can get across rush hour traffic with two portable AC units to be installed.. I should have left an hour ago.

Just think of it as a reason to compete with her for number of drinks consumed.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

I will soon be able to contribute to this thread. :)

I'm on page 582, and reading this on and off over the last couple years has finally convinced me to get off my rear end and get a full-time IT job like I've always wanted, but have always been too worried about failing at to do, rather than getting my shoulder dislocated and tearing ligaments in my ankle while being my police departments go-to IT guy and doing computer janitor stuff on the side for loving around money.

I start as a phone jockey on a 20-person helpdesk for a very large hospital complex on May 16th, supporting a Server 2008/Exchange environment with (from the interview) around 20 other server- and web-based applications and desktop hardware. I already have my A+ and Network+, and they'll pay for CCNA and MCTIP exams to assist in moving up in the IT department.

They're migrating to EPIC in the next 12 months, and if both the EPIC migrations I've heard about from friends that work at other hospitals are anything to go on, it's going to involve sweet, sweet overtime.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

Daylen Drazzi posted:

EPIC is a beast to implement, but I only know about it from the end-user perspective as my mom was the training coordinator for it at her large regional hospital in Ohio. It took them something like 2-3 years and a couple hundred million dollars to get it up and running. I'll ask her about the technical side of things since I'm sure she dealt with that too as part of her job. She was so happy when her retirement papers went through.

I have a couple aquantainces that work at another hospitals IT dept, and they started rolling out on Jan 1 2008. They've had two other 'major' rollouts with an ad-hoc 100 person 24- hour support desk implemented, and are still doing monthly phased rollouts of supporting systems now, over three years later.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

COUGH SYRUP HIGH posted:

You should do everything you can to finagle your way into anything Epic-related, get the experience, then roll out and make bank.

My wife said the same thing. A couple of the nurses on her floor went to some sort of Epic trainer training and promptly left the hospital for double their RN salary doing Epic stuff.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

:yearofthejob:

Drank the corporate kool-aid at orientation Monday, first day at the helpdesk yesterday. It was supposed to be a laid back paperwork and tour day, but some major poo poo went down overnight with one of the hospitals on the network that's leaving for another health care organization. They're in the process of moving files from our servers to the new organization's servers, but for right now everything is supposed to still be accessed from our network. Problems varied from people who couldn't map their network shares at all (our problem, Active Directory) to people who could map their network shares but were missing some or all of their files (new org's problem, they started mapping people to their server before they were supposed to).

Beyond that, several password reset and, since a 50-person orientation class just came in, lots of "My shared drives aren't set up," "I don't have Outlook on my workstation and can't check my mail" type of stuff.

Also, I was told in my interview that the part time position I was taking opened up because the part time person went full time, which happens pretty regularly. One of the full-time day shift guys accepted a promotion to another team yesterday and leaves in three weeks, so I need to find out if I can slide into his position without waiting for the 6 month "no transfers" HR limit to pass, since it's just a change in hours/schedule.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

If your production application isn't supposed to be down until 0600-1400 tomorrow for migration to the new domain, why are we at the helpdesk getting slammed with calls at 1330 today that trying to login to the system from the extranet link at home is throwing errors?

Also, why is the helpdesk getting slammed with calls from people trying to check their work schedule online at 1330 to see if they're scheduled to report for work with a start time of between 1500 and 1900 today? Shouldn't you already know if you work when you're normal start time in less than a couple hours away?

They aren't even taking the scheduling system offline. They're just taking the extranet access system offline so they can migrate it to the new domain and put a new URL on the extranet site, it's still going to be accesible from the intranet.

This is my first major application downtime. Tomorrow should be interesting.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

fatman1683 posted:

:yearofthejob:

Got picked up by a contracting agency supporting practice management/EMR software. Anyone have any experience with this and know what I should be expecting?

We have an entirely separate helpdesk for supporting our IDX/EMR issues because it's such a giant pain in the rear end and dealing with angry MAs and MDs who can't chart orders is a special kind of hell. The ladies that work that helpdesk are saints.

It's been a fun and interesting three weeks so far, and today was extra special fun (which I was warned about since it was a holiday weekend). Our onsite guys don't work after hours, weekends, or holidays, so if something hardware stops working at say 1800 on Friday night on Memorial Day weekend, it's not gonna get fixed until at least Tuesday unless it's something major (hint: if it's not in the server room and you don't have M.D. after your name, it's not major). One of the nursing units had their label printer crap out on them on Friday evening, and the charge RN on every shift for the last four days has called about getting it fixed. We ended up paging the onsite guy today just to get them to shut up. All we got from them was "it's not working and we don't know why why don't you come fix it" every time they called, and refused phone troubleshooting.

The problem? It was out of labels and noone on the floor knew how to load new ones in. For four days. And there's laminated instructions printed out on the top of the printer on how to load labels AND how to realign the edges if it screws up. :suicide:

Part of this is on the weekend helpdesk people for not remoting into both the PC and the printer to check the status, but I have a feeling they got the "asset tag? What's that. I don't have time for this we have patients lives to save just come fix it *click*"

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

adaz posted:

On the other hand it lets you avoid a ton of poo poo because "it's against hipaa". What's that ticket to hook up that personal iPad you bought yourself to exchange? Sorry, you could put PHI on that and as we have no control over it SOUND THE HIPAAS ALARM. No, sorry, no thumb drives allowed ~HIPAAS alarm~

You just have to learn to wield it to prevent people from doing dumb things with computers. Also, to avoid work.

e: Of course it also leads to some of the stupidest audits known to humankind by the Feds, the loving password requirements just force users to write them down or make them pet/kid + number incrementing because otherwise they have no chance of remembering them when they expire every 30 days you retards. No feds, you cannot remove domain admin from every admin and just have a single super user for 10,000 users :wtc:

This led to me initially denying a manager a password reset on her exchange account while she was at home last night. For some reason the OR groups and a lot of the clinics manage their scheduling through exchange groups, and her group does the same thing, except she hadn't setup a group for it and everyone in the department had access to her personal email account to do the scheduling only with her account. She called in and said that one of her subordinates had locked her out of her account and they needed access to do the OR scheduling for tomorrow. After consulting with a co-worker, I gave her a spiel and she "promised" to get a group setup for the today when she got to work. Reset password, create ticket, forward to IS Security Team.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

enotnert posted:

For people who thought I was joking about my job responsibilities. . . they posted for my replacement. . . for 40k. . .

Jesus I'm making almost 40k at an "Associates or equivalent work experience" entry-level helpdesk and server ops position. I'm starting to get the impression that I majorly lucked out in finding the job I did. It's only been a month and I'm not even drinking yet.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

TomBosleyExp posted:

they promise not to kill his family

It'd be a shame if a rack of blades fell on your mother's head.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

First weekend day doing server ops. Our helpdesk person on the weekends remotes in from home, and third shift pulls all the tapes, so all I have to do all day is meet the Cintas guy who comes and picks up the tapes (10am-noon), do a couple billing file transfers (done), and a couple patient file DB merges around 1pm or so. So unless something really bad happens, I get to sit here and get paid while I play WoW.

Only problem? Hourly rounds of our 68,000sqft DC that's at a nicely chilled 74 degrees, and I'm running an almost 103 fever. It's physically painful to walk in there. :(

Stonefish posted:

You are ill, yet you are at work?
You should do something about that.

Viral tonsillitis, caught it from my toddler who was sick for like 5 days last week. Doc said to keep hydrated, don't share straws/cups with people, tylenol every 4 and IB every 6-8 to keep the fever down. I've been here a month, I really love my job, and at least until Monday evening I have no contact with any co-workers except in passing at shift change. Doc approved me coming to work if I felt up to it. It just sucks. :(

Also, a ticket came in! RN who works weekends only and hasn't worked in 3 months had her account for the patient tracking and med ordering system suspended (must login every 30 days). The team that sets those up only works business hours, and managers are aware of this but think that if they ask us nicely enough or threaten us that we'll do it anyways. I do not have access to or training on the user account system other than resetting passwords, everything we do is backend stuff like connections to the server and printer setup, etc.

I can't wait until we go to EPIC and everything is web-based. Everything on our current system is terminal-based and it's a pain in the rear end. We have a separate 3-person business hours helpdesk just for that software.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

Unskilled Labour posted:

And the people aren't on the streets rioting, closing down the economy with national strikes because of this?

Because "UNIONS ARE BAD FOR BUSINESS RAWR" and "right to work" screaming from the rooftops of the Right Wing. People believe in stupid things and education, logic and reason just don't cut it anymore.

Anytime you hear "right to work" coming from the mouth of someone on the right wing, it's code for "at will employment" and "no union rights."

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

Factory Factory posted:

I've only become aware of this recently, and it seems like an incredible instance of doublethink on the surface. Happen to have any articles or whatnot fleshing out the idea or even making the argument for that correlation directly?

I do not, only my personal opinion on the matter backed up by the Republican Party's not-so-recent anti-union crusade combined with the geographic location and ideological bent of right-to-work states and states with no exception at-will employment laws. I spent the vast majority of my career so far in public employment protected by both a union and a Civil Service Commission to insulate me from employer douchebaggery, so I am personally not well versed on the subject.

However, I honestly thought that I posted this in a thread in D&D and didn't realize this thread was even open in my browser. Think the fever is getting to me.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

Back on track!

Remote coder calls in says she's having trouble accessing one of the programs through Citrix. She can log into Citrix, but the program won't accept her user/pass. We can't remote to the machine since she's offsite.

Goes to our offsite person. Reset password, offsite person tries it, it works, thank you have a nice day.

Calls back. Still not working. Goes to our offsite person again. Reset password, thank you, have a nice day.

Calls back again. Still not working. Gets me because offsite person is on another call. There's a checkbox underneath the user/pass boxes that says "Login when connecting." It was unchecked.

:facepalm:

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

Nazattack posted:

What do you guys do during the day when you aren't busy?

I read SH/SC or read up on stuff I don't have hands on experience with. I've also been drafting an upgrade plan to get this terrible mess up to date, but I know no one will actually take it seriously.

I've been wandering down to the datacenter and familiarizing myself with everything down there. I'm still trying to figure out where I want to go from Helpdesk/NOC stuff. I've been reading up on the different entry-level professional certs to try and get myself a 5-10 year career plan mapped out. We get $5k in tuition reimbursement for college and professional classes that can also be applied to certification exams, and my department gives us an extra 10 paid days a year to go to class (we pay for the class, they pay us our wage to go). So I'm going to take full advantage of that.

When they decided to put me on solo on Saturdays and were going over the NOC checklist for the DB merges and batch files that get run on the weekends and it amounted to a grand total of about an hour of actual work for an 8 hour shift, I asked the guys training me what I was supposed to do with the rest of my time (I'm not used to having downtime). They said "watch movies or play videogames, make sure you bring your laptop in with you." I said 'really?', so one of them shouted across the room to the bosses office and asked him what I should do, and he said "bring in your laptop and watch movies or play games. If nothing is going on your time is yours," then proceeded to go over to one of the other helpdesk guys' desk and help him with a level on Portal 2.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

Just got an email from our boss.

We've been hosting files and providing slowly dwindling amounts of support for a hospital that left the healthcare organization until they get everything migrated over. Previously unannounced until about 5 minutes ago, they are doing the final cutover tonight at midnight, and every machine at that hospital is going to get force released from our DHCP servers and get a new lease from the new organizations DHCP server.

Apparently this should be seamless, but I forsee my phone blowing up in 20 minutes with "Our such and such won't connect!" issues.

Which we then get to say "call this new support number, we don't provide your support anymore." :smug:

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

nitrogen posted:

How the heck do you do that? (other than ipconfig release/renew on each workstation?)

Absolutely no idea, it's done by people very far above my paygrade.

If I had to guess, I assume that they're doing something with the PCs asset tags (which is also the computer name and is what we use instead of an IP for remote assistance and ping purposes).

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

Had a ticket come in to our management that got forwarded to us as an "FYI in case you guys get any calls about this."

Manager at one of the hospitals wants IT to completely lock down outside internet access to her department.

Response:

quote:

This was brought up with [IT and Hospital Management redacted] during a meeting a year or so ago. The agreement coming out of the meeting was that technology is not the method to manage employee issues around abuse of these types of items. Some restrictions in this approach is that most every employee these days has a Iphone, Android or similar device that has Internet capabilities, facebook or twitter access. IT cannot manage these aspects and it comes down to adhering to policy and the manager taking the appropriate corrective action. Before there were computers/Internet to abuse, there were newspapers being read and water coolers as communal meeting places and abuse of work time vs private time…

Yay for not enabling passive/aggressive management styles!

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

adaz posted:

We usually have the same approach to dealing with stuff like this. It's like, if it's a problem loving manage your employees but 99.9% of the time it's just passive aggressive managers or managers trying to get their non-favorite employees fired.

God I hate proxies. They are just so worthless too and easy to get around. One of our facilities managed to somehow convince the head of IT to put in a content filter in for their site, then some employees figured out how to get firefox on a thumb drive + tor or something and next thing we know every employee is using that and managing to also infest the PCs with viruses.

gently caress content filtering, manage your goddamn employees yourselves :argh:

The kicker is that most of the run-of-the-mill time wasting stuff is blocked. Youtube, Facebook, Twitter, Imgur, etc. So it comes down to what the hell else do you want us to block, and also the (distinct) possibility that the employees are using the free patient wifi on their phones to access blocked content. And we're not going to lock down the patient wifi.

Edit: We do have content filtering. This manager wants access to anything outside the LAN cut off for her department.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

Lazy user story incoming.

ER called (at 1510), the printer that does the barcodes for the patient armbands isn't working, and hasn't been working since 1st shift came in at 0700. Somehow this is a critical issue, even though there's another armband printer in the back pod at another desk and you've been fine for at least 8 hours, probably longer. All the printer configuration on patient information stuff is done through a command line interface (gently caress I can't wait until we go to EPIC, our current system sucks all kinds of balls), and of course the deviceID sticker is long gone from the printer. Manage to get the IP from the user, but it's not listed in the domain printer directory and I can't ping it. Have to dig through the backend to find the deviceID via the IP address, then use that to get the print spooler it's connected to, then dig through the spooler's job queue to find out why the gently caress the thing isn't printing.

Stuff gets stuck in the print spoolers all the time, and I find 49 pending jobs attached to that printer's device ID. User says I can flush the queue, they don't need anything that's in there. Cool. Stop printer, drain queue, restart printer, all from the command line. Send test page, also from the command line. Nothing happens, but a job does show up in the device's queue.

Have the user make sure that everything is connected correctly. Cables are good, power's good. What's this box that says JetDirect, it looks like it's broken? Turns out the JetDirect that the device uses to connect over the LAN to the print servers has been literally broken. As in it's underneath the desk, attached with 3M tape to the wall about 3' from the network jack, and someone somehow kicked it so hard that the shell is cracked and none of the lights are on. Well there's your loving problem.

So, if you can walk to the other pod and get the LW device ID off their bracelet printer, I can redirect any workstation that's defaulted to the broken printer to the one in back. "There's no stickers on it at all." Bullshit, you went back there to try to get it's deviceID at the start of this 20 minute ordeal because it should have only been one off of the other one, but you said it only had the IP sticker on it as well. So, because you're a lazy gently caress and don't want to walk 50 feet, in the same room no less, to get your patient armbands until Monday, and I of course can't call you on your poo poo, I get to page the on call onsite guy in to fix your poo poo.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

Dear MDs at the organization that we are in the process of acquiring:

Just because it was announced today, after votes by both of our Boards of Directors last week, that you will be fully integrating with our organization, does not mean that the software on your laptops issued by our organization for use on our network will be able to access resources on our network when you're sitting in your office and connected to your network.

There's an MD group that provides residents and attendings to our hospitals, that's affiliated with our hospitals, but is it's own separate entity and bills separately. Our respective boards voted unanimously last week to have our organization acquire them. They've all had laptops issued to them for the last 3-4 years that they can use when connected at our facilities to access patient records, charts, films, etc. They've been told that they can't use them on their own network yet to access our resources, but I've had a handful of calls already tonight from oncall MDs that have decided to sit in their offices at the building across the street that is not on our network yet and attempt to do work that requires access to our network, rather than hanging out in the oncall physicians area at the hospital.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

I'm Tier1/2 and NOC in a good-sized organization, 8000+ employees, 12000+ workstations, with 4 main sites and 12 satellites. The extent of my AD usage is password resets, turning locked-out accounts back on, and checking to make sure their home folder is set to the proper path. We can view and add user groups but anything having to do with that is above our pay grade, and we use it in concert with our application owners DB file to make sure that people have the proper groups added to be able to access AD-enabled network resources. I personally am a member of 31 user groups to be able to access everything that I need, but looking over normal users it's pretty normal to have 2-3, and management maybe 5-6.

If your interview is anything like mine, if you're able to describe what it does and is used for, even if you don't know how to use it or how it works, that's probably good enough to get marked down for a 'correct' answer in the interview.

The golden question that was asked in my interview was "What are the five points of failure in troubleshooting an issue." Answer being User, Workstation, Network, Application and Server.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

Sweet! Our UPS monitoring PC is from the future. Downside: looks like the future still runs Windows XP :suicide:

Time to send an email to System Services.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

couldcareless posted:

Am I the only one who gets overly curious when a terminated employee account disable ticket comes down the pipe?

Terms come into the helpdesk ticket queue through the self-service webform, but we just forward them up the chain to system services to take care of.

The ones that pique my curiosity are the calls from managers and legal when they want to tap someone's account. I don't know why exactly we take care of them at the helpdesk, all we do is email them a form that they have to fill out, get signed by three VPs (theirs, the employees, and ITs), and faxed into system services to put a proxy on the account, but in my 6 weeks here I've gotten a few of them and it always get my old cop sense going.

Working in this large of an organization has it's perks, we get a little bit of everything on a constant enough basis that I was out of training and just getting checked up on after 3 weeks, and I start flying solo for NOC/Helpdesk on the weekends starting next week.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

An email came in...

Seems someone up in System Services is getting upset that we helpdesk peons aren't putting asset tag numbers in the proper spot in the ticket form, and instead putting them in the ticket notes. This apparently makes it hard for System Services to do their job, and one of their guys sends our manager a nastygram that got forwarded on to the helpdesk crew as an FYI.

The problem is that we can't put asset tags into the asset tag box unless the number is already in the system database (has stuff like make/model/OS/purchase data, etc). And it's System Services job to put these in. One of my coworkers points this out nicely in email to our manager, who sends it back to system services, who sends back another nastygram, CCed to the helpdesk list instead of just our manager, asking why we aren't putting in work orders to get unlisted asset tags added to the system.

To which one of my CYA minded coworkers sends back, through our manager, an excel spreadsheet with over 130 asset tags and associated work order ticket numbers that were all closed out by the complaining system services guy as having been completed, but still aren't in the system. Dating back to Nov 2010.

:master:

Our manager is buying lunch for everyone tomorrow and leaving the dept CC for the 2nd and 3rd shift people to use to eat with.

Edit: never typing a post on my iPhone again. Oh the autocorrect typo humanity.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

First day all by myself in out NOC/helpdesk. I had one of our at-home people VPned in taking help desk calls while I did operations stuff. Batch files, pulling tapes to go offsite, and generally goofing off unless the help desk person got more than one call at a time.

Then poo poo went to hell around noon. Something went wonky with our DMZ setup, and half of our clinical applications broke from connectivity to something that they needed. At first we were only getting calls for the Citrix stuff, so we were troubleshooting with our vendor's help desk since they did a last-minute 30-minute notice maintenance at midnight last night that was "no impact," but we know how that goes. When we figured out with them that it was us and not their system was about the time we started getting calls from the offsite radiologists that they couldn't access their films, and it spiraled south from there. Medical records scanning system went down in the middle of jobs, our online form system disconnected everyone online and wouldn't let them back in, and the giant 50' patient tracking boards in all the nurses stations lost sync with the patient orders system. Very bad stuff, with two of us trying to answer calls and send pages at the same time.

So I paged the network services on call, who was not happy that I called him and cut me off at "Citrix" before I could get to the radiology system, and said he'd call the vendor himself and hung up. He called back about 20 minutes later after I paged up the network services chain to let me know that they remoted into the DMZ firewall and fixed whatever was broke.

Fun first day solo. I'm in a bit over my head still but I'm learning.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

I'm the only person on my helpdesk who has any Mac experience (we're a 100% PC organization), and it seems like our phone queue system knows this.

Got a call from one of the charge RNs at the central hospital yesterday, who immediately handed me off to a patient visitor. First bad sign, there's is absolutely nothing that a visitor could have that we support.

Family is in from LA to visit dad in the hospital, they bought an iPad2 at the Apple Store and had it setup in the store, and they're trying to get Gmail setup in Mail on the iPad so they can keep in touch with dad.

I have an iPhone, and I immediately know what their problem is. The Mail app can't poll Gmail for messages on our public wireless network. I brought it up in a side conversation with one of our Network Services guys one day and I can't remember what the reason was, but when you try to get Gmail through Mail, it throws a connection error of some sort. I think it has something to do with SSL, but I dunno.

Since we're not busy and I'm just running my evening batch files, I explained this to the lady and told her that the only way to access Gmail on the public wifi is to access gmail.com through Safari. She *really* doesn't like that idea, says her father won't understand how to do that, and proceeds to demand (not ask) that I give her the password to one of the secured wireless networks or get her setup with another email service that does work.

So I politely tell her that we don't provide any support for user hardware on the public wifi, it's up to the users to know how to use their device, and that the best advice I can give her is to set gmail.com as a bookmark and set it to remember the username and password on login, and I got hung up on.

I won for lovely phonecall of the day, and I logged the ticket under the RN who called me and handed off the phone and forwarded it to our manager. She apparently got an earful, I got an attaboy from the boss for being polite and trying to help even though I didn't have to.

Later that night I got the head MD from one of the physician office satellites that just bought an iPhone and MBP and needed help configuring both of them for our email (forwarded standard configuration email to user). He was the first call I had in over an hour and I was the backup helpdesk person (and we don't keep metrics on 2nd/3rd shift), so I hung on the phone and walked him through disabling the autocorrect on his phone and where to find Boot Camp Assistant to get Windows installed so he can use our EMR/IDX system until we go to EPIC next year. This was my lesson in why you don't provide for support for things you don't have to, because he called back into the phone queue two more times that night and asked for me specifically to help him with other stuff. :suicide:

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

Ozz81 posted:

All depends - one of my previous jobs had a designated Facilities team that specifically did clean-up for spills, refilled water coolers, contacted vending machine companies, etc. but the help desk always ended up with tickets. One I remember fondly was "the ice machine is making a sound like a squealing pig so we turned it off - please check ASAP". Honest mistake sometimes, I would usually respond to them to let Facilities know and close the ticket out.

Our Plant Operations department uses the same ticket system and ticket server that we do (Service Desk Express), and we can forward tickets to them and vice versa. So technically if someone's fridge was broken (like ours was last night), we could put the ticket in for them and forward it over to PO&M (like I did last night for our broken fridge), but it would be extremely frowned upon (as I found out when I opened my email at home this morning).

In my defense, I thought it was kindof stupid that I can make a ticket and forward it over to them, or I can call their after hours number and leave a message that won't get checked until halfway through the day today. :shrug:

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

Taken by a coworker. I was amused by the Hardware -> Configuration Problem ticket assignment. This started a fun group conversation over Lync on how to resolve her issue.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

frozenphil posted:

That is one ugly, cluttered interface.

Magic is the name of the software apparently. I dunno. The interface is a little better when all the boxes that you can actually fill out haven't been deleted to protect the names of the innocent. Everything else populates itself.

I'm just a peon, my opinion doesn't count on these things.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

potato of destiny posted:

Oh hello SDE how are you today

Seriously, we use that too and it's basically worse than hitler. We have a really good database gal that wrote some custom interface stuff for ours so it doesn't look quite that bad, but it's still pretty lovely. Oh, and it only works in internet explorer because SO MUCH GODDAMN VB CODE. Using it in IE8 or IE9 is especially fun, since you get "the webpage you are viewing is trying to close the window, do you want to close this window" pretty much anytime you do anything to a ticket. It's called "Magic" because a) the older version of it was called "Magic Service Desk" or somesuch, and b) if you don't kill yourself, it's loving magic.

We're moving to HP Service manager soon, and it's so much better.

oh god I hope

Yeah, most of us are still on IE7 (but with admin rights noone uses it except to run SDE), and a couple people got pushed IE8 last week and it broke their workstations. I hate it with a passion when I try digging through old tickets to either find a resolution to a similar problem or lookup past tickets when the user doesn't have their incident number. drat thing freezes everything on my workstation for a good 4-5 minutes while it happily chugs along querying it's DB for god knows what.

I honestly don't mind it all that much since I'm used to the computer-aided dispatch system at the police department and it was so much loving worse.

Edit: Should have been clearer. IE8 broke their entire workstation, not SDE.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

Rohaq posted:

It's amazing how much of a difference keeping to the actual scope of support can make. I switched from one company to another, same position, but because we no longer had to spend all day trying to help someone with a problem that was not our company's fault, it was so much better. The last company expected us to help users remove malware and everything. Over the phone. Christ.

Something I love about our SDE implementation is our Application Owners DB. Pull it up, look up the Application/Device/Whatever that the user is having trouble with, and it says who provides what support. If it's not in the AODB or doesn't say "Helpdesk" in the support tab, it's not our baby. Usually it says who's baby it is and how to get ahold of them, but sometimes not, especially for vendor supported stuff.

Which was somewhat hilarious a couple weeks ago when the bigass 50' plasma displays in one of the ICUs went down on a saturday. All they do is show a graphical feed of information from the patient tracking software (color coding for who has meds due, etc), and it's information you can get on the front screen by logging into that software on literally any computer in the entire organization. This was an URGENT ISSUE PATIENTS ARE GOING TO DIE that they can't view this information on the wall rather than on the mobile computer cart that they're pushing around all day.

Vendor supported. We didn't even have a support number since the ICU purchased the system themselves. That was a pissed off charge nurse.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

coyo7e posted:

Or they did something like changed their password and only check on their phone, etc. I've been getting 1-2 a week for the last month, of people who really should have their accounts disabled but they're BARELY on the payroll books so they use their old work email for all their personal poo poo.. Then when their PW expires.. :supaburn:

I hate cling-on "employees", some of these people are literally in the books at 1 hour a month, just so their old employers can keep them "on retainer" in case someone calls in sick etc. I feel terrible that they have to scrub for hours, but goddamn, stop relying on that email if your paycheck is that unreliable!

We're having an issue with this, only with iPhones for some reason (nothing with androids and blackberries). User changes their AD password onsite and don't change it on their phone. When they go to check their email it ends up activating the intruder lockout in AD. Only happens with iPhone users, and the system services guys are baffled as to why.

And of course it only happens after hours, and since the request is coming from outside the network it doesn't trigger the "user is disabled" checkbox that the helpdesk can reset, like if they tried the password too many times from their workstation. It triggers one that only system services has access to, so we get pissed off doctors who can't check the personal email that's coming to their work email address until the morning. :fuckoff:

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

/YOTJ Again

I got hired on a part-time slot here, working 2nd shift NOC/Helpdesk M-T and NOC on Saturday, with the intention of transitioning to fulltime when a position came available. A week after I came on, one of the dayshift NOC guys got offered a position on the Network/Security team, and I put in for his hours. Someone who's been here a while got them, but my boss offered me that person's fulltime 2nd shift position, which I unfortunately couldn't take since my wife works 7p-7a as an RN and arranging reliable childcare from 6p-midnight 3 nights a week is a logistical nightmare. But the boss told me that he didn't have anyone else that was interested in going to dayshift, so the next time a slot opened up, I'd be first in line.

Cue today, login and check my email to find a fuckton of emails from one of the tape robots with 164 backup images that need to be pulled to go offsite today, along with an email from one of the dayshift guys saying that he got offered a desktop support position and is transitioning over from our team on August 8th.

:dance:

Edit: And email back from the boss, he knew the other guy was going to be leaving last week, completely forgot about me wanting to go full time, and talked to HR about working up an offer for someone who interviewed for the 2nd shift full-time slot 6 weeks ago. Hopefully that falls through and I still get it, I'm not looking forward to having to put on a happy face about this.

Edit2: Question about dealing with HR in a situation like this. I'm used to civil service stuff where this kind of thing doesn't happen. They're extending an external candidate an offer for an position that has not been listed at all (just checked the internal and external jobs site). I have no idea how to approach this without looking like an rear end to either HR or my boss, and I've only been here 2-1/2 months.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

Semi-YOTJ

HR hadn't gotten around to making the offer for the unlisted position yet, since they decided to follow policy and list the job first. Bosses Boss approved me moving to full-time, and they're going to offer my part-time slot to the other guy. I'm going to have to work split shifts for a while until they get the new guy hired, trained and on my shift, but I start M-T 2nd, Th-F-Sat 1st next week. :dance:

Since we're on the PTO derail, we get 10 days vacation, 12 days sick, and 8 paid holidays per year, all payed into the same PTO bank. Since we're a 24/7 mandatory staffed operation, we don't actually get those holidays off (and get 2.5 time for working the holiday), so they're pretty much an extra 8 vacation days.

Just had a call from an RN manager on the cardiac unit. They have a computer on wheels for the doctors to use as a tool for explaining diagnoses to patients, and wanted to get Youtube unblocked on it so they could load up heart failure videos to show to patients. Unfortunately it's an org-wide policy with no exceptions. Fortunately, she has a 23-yo tech-savvy son at home to download videos for her, and we allow flash drives to be plugged in. Remoted in, installed VLC from our software repository server.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

Spudalicious posted:

A ticket came in:

Supid Fellow

We're dealing with something similar at work right now, and I have been unlucky enough to become documentation frontperson on it since I took the first call on it on Tuesday night, before we knew exactly what was going on.

I work for a large healthcare organization that used to encompass about 10 different hospitals. The org broke up and half of those hospitals have left for other orgs, and the last one to leave has been progressively cutting over services from our network and DC to the new org's system over the last 3 months. Example: Four weeks ago we shipped a rack of servers out to the new healthcare org to get racked and cloned, and then had them re-racked at our location a week later. Then we did a non-notice midnight cutover of all their workstations from our DHCP servers to the new company's DHCP servers. Two weeks ago all their patients were discharged from our EMR system (which meant we wrote 3x as many tapes on the incremental backup system than normal and had to change them out twice on 2nds instead of the usual just letting them run until 3rds did the daily changeout at 7am), and admitted into the new company's EMR system, while at the same time all of the EMR terminals at that hospital were flagged for read-only access of our EMR database. That ended up loving up some reports that they needed done, so we reconnected them to our network and flagged some selected terminals as full-access for an extra week.

Cue this week tuesday night. Got a call from two ER docs at one of our hospitals, 15 minutes apart, for the same issue. They've been accessing the EMR system all day just fine, and all of a sudden it's telling them "<User> has no password, <User> is not permitted to access this system, please contact your system administrator." I looked up the first one, see that her security class is as a referring physician only, her password change box is greyed out, but her account isn't disabled. Tell her I'll escalate a ticket to the EMR folks, but they don't work after hours and they'll get to it in the morning, and in the meantime she should contact the medical staff office and see if they've suspended her privileges over not signing off on charts or something (it happens). Got a call from the second doc, exact same problem. Decide to page the on-call since they're both residents in the ER and on-duty, she says the same thing. Call the medical staff office.

Turns out that along with the final cutover that happened monday night at midnight, any physician who's security records indicated that they were primary at the hospital that left got their security record changed to referring no-privileges. The Medical Staff Office had been informed in weekly emails for the last two months to make sure to update the security record for all the physicians in the org that weren't leaving with that hospital and were being reassigned to other ones to make sure that they would maintain their EMR access.

I VPNed in tonight on a whim after I saw the email that they were using my initial ticket for every additional call and just incrementing it and having the physician fill out a self-service access change request form. Over 200 increments from yesterday and today, and the email from the techs said that they batch changed just south of 650 records at once a little after 6pm on Monday night.

Medical Staff Office sent out a group-wide email that we managed to get forwarded from one of the docs that called in to our department and disseminated throughout the IT department, that pretty scathingly blamed IT for being incompetent on the issue. :fuckoff:

The CIO was apparently pretty pissed and made the decision that they're not going to pay on-call pay for this issue, and sent a followup to the MSO that they need to get the word out to all of their MDs to call in during business hours this week and get it fixed, because if Saturday comes and someone doesn't have EMR privileges, they're not getting it reinstated until Monday at 8am when the techs come back in.

I work solo on Saturday morning. It's gonna be a blast.