Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Karanth
Dec 25, 2003
I need to finish Xenogears sometime, damn it.
So what do they do for those lovely systems that require 6-12 characters of [a-zA-Z0-9]? :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karanth
Dec 25, 2003

euroboy posted:

He held the mouse as normal, but twisted in hand in the direction he wanted the pointer to go. He twisted his hand and mouse 180 degrees to get it down, and it still went up! The mouse is clearly broken he told me. When I showed him how to properly do it, he was awestruck. I've told this to many people but few believe it, but I swear that it's true. Yes, there is people out there that actually is this stupid.

I once watched my grandmother do this. She's a lot more comfortable with a touchpad on a laptop.

Karanth
Dec 25, 2003
You guys think thermostat wars are silly? The last place I worked had light wars.

This was a small development house where all of the programmers were at open desks in a single huge room. True to the stereotype, there were a couple of individuals who simply couldn't tolerate having window blinds open. Or lights on. At all. If someone 30 feet away turned on a desk lamp directed downward, one of them in particular would start angrily muttering to himself just loud enough to draw attention to how the light was "hurting his eyes." :what:

Karanth
Dec 25, 2003

Nam Taf posted:

Find your regional equivalent for the lighting standard (That's the European standard, for example), set it to standard-compliant, and then tell them to shut up as it's 'to standard'.

Nobody argues with defined standards, it's great. It creates the illusion that it's outside your control so they don't bitch to you.

edit: This appears to be the ANSI equivalent for the US. Alternatively, I'm guessing that this is the ISO one.
I did mention it was the "last" as in "previous" place I worked, but really I don't think even this would have made much of a difference. The whole place tried to be counterculture in every conceivable way and the company owner preferred to ignore responsibilities like managing his employees in favor of nursing his World of Warcraft addiction.

I'm sure that the very existence of such a standard would have garnered further support for working in a nerd-cave so as not to submit to "the man."

Karanth
Dec 25, 2003

Griz posted:

in my experience, anyone who insists on being entered into the helpdesk database as DOCTOR Smith and has all their underlings address them as such is probably going to be more annoying than average.

Or more generally, anyone who feels the need to demand respect from someone probably hasn't earned it.

Karanth
Dec 25, 2003

chutwig posted:

EDIT: I picked the phone up and nobody was on the other end. I think I need to send somebody up to remove the Caps Lock key from his keyboard.

Push out a registry change that remaps it to ctrl. Eliminates the caps lock problem and provides a useful key in its place, all remotely. :haw:

Karanth
Dec 25, 2003

Roundboy posted:

Subject: Caps lock is not working
Message: THE CAPS LOCK KEY IS NOT WORKING. THE LIGHT COMES ON BUT DOES NOT CAPITALIZE LETTERS. I NEED TO HOLD SHIFT TO USE CAPITAL LETTERS

The light doesn't come on when you make that registry change. :colbert:

Issue Status: Closed ASDESIGNED

Karanth
Dec 25, 2003

IndustrialPope posted:

I think ISPs are required by law to blame eveyone but them, I've never ever dealt with one that claimed something was their fault.

The closest you'll get is them asking you to reset your equipment after a short pause and some overheard typing. They won't explicitly tell you that they made a change on their end that needs to propagate, but when the last 5 resets you did before calling didn't do anything it kind of gives it away.

Karanth
Dec 25, 2003

scottch posted:

It never drops characters, and is drat impressive, all things considered.

2009 and, "it never drops characters" is grounds for calling a networked system "impressive." The idea that this class of problem hasn't been solved and considered trivial for 30+ years is depressing as hell. :smith:

Karanth
Dec 25, 2003

Nuke posted:

-----------------

Priority : High-Affects My Work
Description
*Subject : Font sizes
CC :
BC :
Note : Dr. [omit] requested that the font size displayed in her e-mails be enlarged so as not to strain her eyes

-----------------

Eat more carrots and leave me alone! I'm still hung over from st patties

CLOSED: FIXED
[Attachment: Initech_Vision_Plan_Benefits.doc]

Karanth
Dec 25, 2003

Lum posted:

That's a pretty badly worded outage notice, it reads more like "gently caress off and don't bother calling us even if it's broken."

If they'd put "We are performing maintenance on the eMail system, if you are having trouble please try again later" maybe people would take more notice.

The more words there are, the less likely it is that a user will read them. Looks like the message they went with was still over budget.

Maybe, "It's broken. We're working on it." would fare better.

Karanth
Dec 25, 2003

afflictionwisp posted:

You can get lucky. At my first job, they had a phone manager, her name was jackie. she was an old woman, fat, blind in one eye, cynical as hell, convinced of her own divinity, and she was right. She had a great system of dealing with users - she did everything she could to intimidate the hell out of them. everyone at the company was either afraid of her or hated her, but she was drat good at her job. I loved Jackie, she was like the big black aunt I never had.

One day, her superior gave her a hard time about something, I forget, so she decided that she was retiring at the end of the week. Dumped all the poo poo for the entire phone system and hundreds of international cells right in his lap. God, how I laughed.

A month after she quit, she found out she had cancer. Died shortly thereafter.

This story is giving off at least two conflicting morals:

Life is too short to catch every piece of poo poo that rolls downhill with your bare hands,

or,

Be careful whose lap you drop a mountain of poo poo into when you finally snap, because he might be a voodoo practitioner actually capable of wishing cancer on you.

Karanth
Dec 25, 2003

CannedMeat posted:

Yes they do. We have invested time and money to provide a secure and reliable company supported way for people to check their email on phones, and work from home on their company provided laptops.

But then someone wants to do it their way and they're granted an exception, because guys like ErIog think we're unhelpful idiots if we say "no" to things that are doable with a simple change.

It's a slipperly slope because once one personal device is allowed in, everyone wants theirs to be as well, and then today I have to spend an hour troubleshooting why someone's personal install of a Vista VM running in Parralells on their personal Mac isn't connecting properly to our office network. Meanwhile they have a $2000 laptop we bought them, that I spent a shitload of time developing standardized builds for that don't have problems, is sitting next to them gathering dust because they like Macs better than PCs and someone said it was ok.

I work for a small company, and ErIog says he did too. Once this "whatever the user wants" attitude grows to support as many people as my last job everything starts to fall apart, and the IT guys burn out fixing menial issues that doesn't happen on the equipment we provide, rather than spend our time streamlining our user support processes and working on the more interesting server side.

I understand that there has to be limits lest someone bring in their favorite parallel port scanner and throw a fit, but are you familiar with the phrase, "the tail wagging the dog?" No, users shouldn't get everything just because they ask for it, but denying anything that isn't on The List isn't any better.

Karanth
Dec 25, 2003

xarph posted:

This was on the workstation image for an entire classroom of winxp machines at Unitek when I was taking an MS SQL server class.

I'm sure Microsoft would be thrilled at the integrity of their training partners if they gave a drat.

Well it's not like they can use xp's built-in archive handling to unpack the rest of their pirated poo poo. :colbert:

Karanth
Dec 25, 2003

ab0z posted:

Bad tech, bad manager, not easy to get along with, always has to prove he's superior to everyone but is actually inferior in just about every way. This is why I hate my boss.

An interesting thing about tech fields is that when someone is scary-good at what they do, they never feel the need to assert it to anyone. The opposite also seems to be true.

Karanth
Dec 25, 2003

Julianus posted:

You look so much more professional with a BlackBerry. No wander he wanted it so badly !

Another office paradox: people who want Blackberries don't need them, and people who need them don't want them. :aaaaa:

Karanth
Dec 25, 2003

juggalol posted:

Perhaps you didn't understand his request, you miserable excuse for a glorified mechanic: he has customer data that he needs access to immediately :hehe:

To: all@company
Subject: Please have patience

We are working to restore affected systems as soon as possible, right after we finish with Jim's request. Jim has critical customer data he needs to access immediately, which will take priority over all of your other IT concerns at this time.

Thank you for your understanding and support for Jim during this time.

Karanth
Dec 25, 2003

duz posted:

Don't forget that tax software that blindly wrote it's key to the MBR on the assumption you only had Windows install on it.

The hell?? This is why apps should never have admin rights.

Karanth
Dec 25, 2003

Phuzion posted:

Keep in mind a lot of software that companies rely on for day to day operations were written in the Win9x days or earlier.

poo poo, CDW uses an AS/400 system for inventory and accounting.

Yeah. :( Shenanigans like these are largely responsible for people wising up to why LUA is a great idea. At least the stuff being written today that businesses will be relying on in 2025 won't have this problem.

...right? :smith:

Karanth
Dec 25, 2003

Phuzion posted:

I wasn't particularly dissing AS/400, but just giving an example of a system that despite being decades old, is still in use at multi-billion dollar companies. Just because something is old doesn't particularly mean that it's bad. What I was getting at was that if you're trying to run an app that was made for Win9x in Windows XP or later, it could very well not know about standards such as "Don't gently caress with the MBR" or "Require administrative access to write to C:\Program Files".

AS/400 is above this particular diss anyway - it actually limited what users and apps were capable of accessing. Systems as far back as the 1960s and 70s were able to get this right. Developers for personal computers through the 80s and 90s were the ones who didn't understand the idea of being good citizens on the system. The lack of any practical restrictions against being jerks and the justification of copy protection only encouraged them.

Karanth
Dec 25, 2003
People like that are what email filters are for.

Karanth
Dec 25, 2003

minivanmegafun posted:

What OS X update costs $99? :confused:

You're right, weren't most of them $129?

Karanth
Dec 25, 2003

Science posted:

In fact if you can avoid most software designed by IBM you will live 30 years longer, you will never bald, and your liver will outlast you.

This is really good advice. IBM software is garbage.

Karanth
Dec 25, 2003

Maker Of Shoes posted:

A ticket came in...saying our department's new computers are in. Hooray! No more using these ancient P4's with a gig of RAM. 20 minutes later the ticket is modified by my manager...

:downs: : Make sure they are imaged with XP. I don't want any tool compatibility issues popping up.

:suicide:

Sounds like your manager is asking you to make sure that XP mode is enabled in the stock image to me. :v:

Karanth
Dec 25, 2003

psydude posted:

If he keeps paying me, I'll fix whatever.

"I don't see why I should have to pay you again, this worked before you touched it."

Karanth
Dec 25, 2003

Caged posted:

Those mice are poo poo as well. I can understand them costing more because you're going to sell very few of them comparatively, but if you're going to charge me £80 for a mouse then it had better be built better than a £3 piece of poo poo. In the case of those things, they aren't.

I've got a couple of these that I use now and frankly I disagree. They're built about as well as the average Logitech gamer mouse with the exception that you can pick at the front edge of the mouse buttons a bit. They have similar hardware sensitivity controls and the sensor itself is decent.

Considering that I switched to one for actual RSI reasons and I don't get shooting nerve pain down my little finger into my forearm anymore I'm willing to cut these mice a lot of slack, but I was pleasantly surprised that I haven't had to.

Karanth
Dec 25, 2003

Lum posted:

Unless you label them or something.

I used to have this problem when I started bringing in a box of rice krispies to work so that I could have breakfast for cheap (yes I'm not good at mornings, so would always skip breakfast to make sure I was in on time)

Of course, something that's difficult to measure, people help themselves anyway, solved by switching to the little kids variety packs because stealing an individually packaged box is a lot more noticeable.

I never did figure out how to stop people stealing my milk though :(

The K-cups thing described sounds different though. I assume they're buying them to share with coworkers, not to cater board meetings. It's like if the boss took the receptionist's candy dish on the front desk home to hand out to trick or treaters. Sure, they're there for others to enjoy, but taking the whole stash and repurposing it as private freebies elsewhere takes a certain kind of mild sociopathy.

Karanth
Dec 25, 2003

TomBosleyExp posted:

a ticket came in

I don't even :psyduck:

Has anyone ever run a Markov chain text generator on a large corpus of angry tickets?

Karanth
Dec 25, 2003

Lum posted:

We still use that. It's supposed to be going away, but head office can't figure out a way to give us access to their SVN server through the reverse proxy.

What happens is it does a 403 temporary redirect to a custom HTML login page, and sets a cookie with a session ID. This works fine if you're using a browser, but it doesn't seem to play nice with the SVN client that can't even handle the 403, let along the login and/or cookie.

If anyone knows a way around this, I'd love to know it. No we can't have a VPN.

The worst part of this is the implication that you're using sourcesafe over the internet and not just a lan. Glad to hear you apparently have a lot of time to get up to make tea or coffee!

Karanth
Dec 25, 2003

KweezNArt posted:

Not that you are in HR, Antioch, but if your sorry rear end gets dragged into any of the auxiliary (potentially legal) horseshit that comes up as a result of this, make sure that *this* is the stance you take. It was unacceptable because it was violent or hateful content that was directed at the company; not because it was about gays, or Christianity, or 'First Amendment Rights' or anything else any other lawyer tries to paint it as.

And if you're ever asked what your personal stance on this particular issue is by anyone, the correct answer is: "Irrelevant."

You probably know all this stuff already, of course. Just tryin' to make sure.

Not only is this good advice, it's probably how you should pitch the issue to HR in the first place such that they aren't tempted to brush it under the rug to avoid the mess it will create.

Karanth
Dec 25, 2003

CatsOnTheInternet posted:

In MA, the state will fine you something like $5k for every state resident whose identity is compromised as a result of employees transporting PII outside the firewall without encryption.

Pretty badass piece of legislation, actually.

Only $5k and only if some metric of "compromised" is met?

Pretty weakass piece of legislation, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karanth
Dec 25, 2003
Make sure it works with iPhones.