Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
equation groupie
Feb 7, 2004

debased and dread pilled

Dyscrasia posted:

I get that daily. But instead its over the phone. They say "Oh yea, I am getting an error, it says error: 'blah blah blah'". Then of course, I have to say "So, that part where you said 'blah blah blah', what does it say?"

Fishstick posted:

I used to get the opposite when troubleshooting outlook. Oh what's that error you're getting? 0x7xfFfA? Let me get right on that.

I get both of these, of course, but I get them from the same person. One of my clients' managers will call me up and want me to fix whatever problem he's having. OK. I'll try to walk him through it, and he'll tell me that an error just came up and he closed it, but could I please get that to stop happening? And even better, he's kind of testy, like he's mad at me for not knowing what's wrong intuitively when he says "not working" and being able to talk him through a technical procedure over the phone without using any technical language (you know, like "right click"). He's about three and a half hours away, so I can't just go over to his facility and see what problem he's having or whatever.

But the best part is that one time, when he was describing an error box to me, he told me "... and the title area thing has kind of a gradient, it goes from blue on one side, to a light gray on the other". loving seriously? You just described the loving gradient in the drat title bar to me? How in the name of holy hell do you think I'll be able to use that information?

... adding insult to injury here is that the previous tech that supported their office had him buy a Q6600 with a pretty nice graphics card and hardware SATA RAID and all that :(. I'm jealous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

equation groupie
Feb 7, 2004

debased and dread pilled

monkeybounce posted:

Is it an actual virtual machine mountable file then? If so, just download virtual PC and power it up. Pretty painless way to test.

The Windows Server Backup app that comes with Server 2008 also creates a VHD, which is pretty cool. Apparently in Windows 7 and 2008 R2, you can also mount any VHD from within the disk management MSC.

equation groupie
Feb 7, 2004

debased and dread pilled
(From last page)

Broken Knees Club posted:

v:v:v

Remote Desktop Connection for Mac OS X is doing that to me. I woke up this morning from having left it on all night and it was using 1.36GB of RAM. I've been running it since noon or so - about 4.5 hours - and now it's up to almost half a gig now.

I hate this software. One of the features touted in 2.0 was that :siren::siren:RDC for Mac now supports multiple connections!!:siren::siren:. Yeah. By opening up another instance of the app, so now you've got two entries for Remote Desktop Connection.app in your dock. That is the laziest, most half-assed thing I have ever seen. loving wow.

Remote Desktop for Windows is so nice. Why do they have to make the Mac version suck balls :(.

Edit:

:v:

equation groupie fucked around with this message at 22:32 on May 10, 2010

equation groupie
Feb 7, 2004

debased and dread pilled

chutwig posted:

Use CoRD instead, it's rdesktop in a Cocoa shell. It can get janky from time to time, but it's still a hell of a lot less spastic than Microsoft's own client.

I like CoRD, but it can't remap the keyboard like this: Option->Win; Command->Alt. Which sucks, because I am so used to using the winkey hotkeys that using Windows without them is completely debilitating.

equation groupie
Feb 7, 2004

debased and dread pilled

Spermy Smurf posted:

I had a customer tell my girlfriend that "the guy back there with the cute butt can come fix my computer sometime."

I was relayed the message, but without the "cute butt" and double-entendre.

I caught her in the lobby and asked how I could help her at home. She replied that I could go over most any weeknight as her husband works late. I asked what kind of computer she had and what the problems were. She said it's not getting a lot of use and could use a good cleaning while slightly humping the air.

At that point in time I turned beet red, stammered something incomprehensible, then fled back to my desk.

My girlfriend and the rest of the tellers were laughing their asses off.

Your girlfriend sounds awesome.

equation groupie
Feb 7, 2004

debased and dread pilled

Yaos posted:

I like to imagine one of the users wanted to expand their office so they borrowed some explosives from some miners and contacted you guys for support on how to detonate it.

After the fact, of course. After they explode the fibre, they wait around for an hour, and then they ask you how to use explosives as if they hadn't already done it, and as if you hadn't known about it for the past fifty nine and a half minutes.

equation groupie
Feb 7, 2004

debased and dread pilled

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Small derail story: My fiancee used to live in Wisconsin, the land o cheese. After 9pm and until 8am in Wisconsin (Milwaukee) you can't buy liquor in stores - only in bars.

I live in Texas, and I have always wondered why the gently caress this is. Here, liquor stores close at 9 (and aren't open at all on Sunday), beer and wine can't be sold in grocery stores and gas stations after midnight (except Saturday night sales are extended for an hour, and Sunday night when sales close at 11), and then there are restaurants & midnight bars (which always close liquor sales at midnight no matter what day of the week it is) and 2AM bars.

What the gently caress.

equation groupie
Feb 7, 2004

debased and dread pilled

topenga posted:

Austin put in this "awesome" new light rail system that goes from a few outlying areas straight to downtown where we have a huge bar/entertainment district. Take the rail downtown, get shitfaced and take the train back. Pretty sweet, right?

1) The rail system doesn't run on weekends. Period.
2) The rail system runs only during morning and evening rush hours.
3) There's only 9 stations and they're all north, gently caress you if you live south of downtown.
4) the stations are not equally distributed. I live within a couple of miles of two of these stations.

I have no idea what the gently caress is wrong with this city and its abhorrence of decent public transport.

That thing was running for months before I knew it was available, I spent about 5 minutes excited about drinking propositions, and then went back to being angry and bitter.

I also think it's kinda funny that they want you to drive to their stations, get on the train, go downtown to work, and then do it in reverse in the evening - and don't miss the train because there isn't another one until tomorrow. It's like the inconvenience of having to maintain a car and driver license PLUS the inflexibility of the train schedule all rolled into one!

equation groupie
Feb 7, 2004

debased and dread pilled
I know the ticketing system question comes up every few pages, but is there such a thing as a ticketing system or bug tracker that has functional loving LDAP support? (Also, it has to be free; I work at a startup.)

I just went through a disproportionate amount of pain to get bugzilla in a functioning state, only to find out that its LDAP support is "copy the information down from LDAP at first user log in and then keep an out of sync local copy forever!", and that their loving contrib scripts to "sync" (i.e. do a one-time copy of SOME important data from LDAP->bugzilla, but not the other way around, which you have to schedule yourself) data don't loving work. I'm using a damned distro-built package, too. (And I don't know ruby or perl, so I can't fix them.)

This is just so loving unreasonable. No one in the entire world would want LDAP support to work like this.

Edit: The intended use of the system is for programmers, not IT.

equation groupie
Feb 7, 2004

debased and dread pilled
Not really one ticket, per se, but I always think it's funny when users come up with their own names for everything. One guy I support has special names for all the window controls that he sees every day.

For example, these are "tapes":

And this is a "report card":

I also did support once for a user who made up his own terms for everything, but apparently knew he was doing it. He told me that to use the Internet, "I have to go in through what I like to call 'the hard line'" (an Ethernet cable rather than wireless), and that since Yahoo changed their email interface, "I have to go in through what I like to call 'the back door'" (a different link). He emphasized the phrase every time. The whole conversation was like that.

equation groupie
Feb 7, 2004

debased and dread pilled

minivanmegafun posted:

Everyone thinks I'm a crazy but I learned using FreeBSD, since the FreeBSD handbook is a good jumping off point: http://freebsd.org/handbook

Don't do this if you want to learn Linux. You'll be confused by all the good documentation ;).

(Serious answer: I like FreeBSD and Ubuntu. Ubuntu's LTS editions are particularly good for work stuff.)

equation groupie
Feb 7, 2004

debased and dread pilled

Midelne posted:

You can actually swear here - that's just a filter for unregistered users so the search engines don't freak the gently caress out.

Is that what it's for? I always thought it was some stupid ironic thing.

equation groupie
Feb 7, 2004

debased and dread pilled

enotnert posted:

Look at the emote, I was the guy on the left going "WHAT THE gently caress?!?!"

Is this documented in a thread somewhere? Because it sounds like the type of thing I want to read.

equation groupie
Feb 7, 2004

debased and dread pilled
A ticket did NOT come in...

... but instead, a member of the board complained to the CEO who yelled at the project manager because emails weren't being delivered*.

The project manager (who is a GREAT guy that I have no problems with) calls me to let me know to look into a potential problem, and also complain about what a huge baby the CEO is sometimes.

If it weren't for the PM, I'd go crazy. Bosses who will mediate between you and upper management are worth their weight in loving gold.

*Of course, seeing as how none of them talked to me, I have no way to verify this or figure out what it means.

equation groupie
Feb 7, 2004

debased and dread pilled

Doc Faustus posted:

If you have to do this sort of thing at all frequently, learning regular expressions is your friend!
code:

mailq | grep -e .*university.edu.*refused -c
<number of matching lines>
My expression may not be exactly correct, as I'm not familiar with the output from mailq

So much nicer than piping things all over the place...

That is more efficient, but it is worth noting that the original version would accept lines that contained "refused" and "university.edu" in any order.

equation groupie
Feb 7, 2004

debased and dread pilled

Lord Dudeguy posted:

:smugbert: - A ticket manager. Basically watches our ticket queue like a hawk to make sure that our SLAs are being met. He compiles our ticket data to prove to our customers how good of a job we're doing. Basically, he's a snake oil salesman.

:smugbert: : "Hey, LD!"
:) : "Yeah?"
:smugbert: : "My Outlook contact says 'Bert, K (Smug)'."
:) : "Yeah? It's your legal first initial then your middle name. Security wants your legal name-"
:smugbert: : "Get rid of it."
:) : "Can't do that. Security policy stands. Hell, my display name is 'Dudeguy, Baron (Lord)'. If my name can't budge, neither can yours."
:smugbert: : "Yeah, but I'm more important than you. I'll go make your boss do it."

Then he walks in the opposite direction of my boss, muttering to himself.

:aaaaa:

I've honestly never seen someone so blatantly rude to his own team before. I really had nothing to say. I was dumbfounded.

That guy is a dick, but it's really policy to have your first initial and full middle name?

That's idiotic.

equation groupie
Feb 7, 2004

debased and dread pilled
A user walked in...

"vlack, in the Linux bash prompt, how do I tell it to repeat my last command?"

I don't mind too much because it was an easy question and no skin off my nose, but this user is always asking me fairly inane questions that he should know to do his job. He's always asking me stuff about Silverlight and ASP.NET code that he's taken over from another developer - code I don't know anything about and didn't have anything to do with initially.

Then, two weeks ago, he specifically requested an account on the Linux server because he was "used to Linux", even though he's doing Silverlight and IIS development and brings his MacBook Pro - which of course comes with a fine Terminal emulator and bash and all that - to the office every single day.

That conversation went like this:
:corsair: Is there a Linux server that we have around here? Can I have an account on it? I'm used to Linux, you see, having spent almost all of my old job using it.
:cool: Sure you can, in fact, you already do! Just log in to $servername with your normal $company credentials!
:corsair: OK, how do I do that?
:cool: Well, you'll need an SSH client...
:corsair: SSH? What's an SSH client? I used to use something, but I don't remember anything about it at all!
:cool: ...OK, then Google for "PuTTY", and let me know if you have any more questions.

Now, today, as soon as I come in the office:
:corsair: Is the server down? I can't connect to it via start->run->$servername!
:cool: No, the server isn't down, but Windows filesharing isn't working at the moment... I'm aware of the issue and about to work on it right now.
:corsair: Oh. Well I just want to get back to my Linux environment...
:cool: so... you'll need to connect over SSH?
:corsair: Ah. Umm. How do I do that?
:cool: ... PuTTY?
:corsair: Ah hah. Thanks.

(half an hour passes)
:corsair: vlack, I need you to come look at something when you get a chance.
:cool: OK. (I walk over there.)
:corsair: (stabs at screen) See, when I try to copy files to my desktop, it gives me an error!

The screen is displaying the help information for the "scp" after he typed into PuTTY something like "rcp $somefile C:\somedirectory\". His PC is running Windows 7, there is no rcp server software installed on Windows, rcp is symlinked to scp on Ubuntu, he wasn't using the right syntax for rcp anyway, and it's not the loving nineteen eighties any more dammit.
:eng99:

I told him about WinSCP and went to take a snack break and play Dungeon Raid on my phone. Sanity restored! (Until he asked me about repeating commands in bash ten minutes later!)

equation groupie
Feb 7, 2004

debased and dread pilled
My favorite user walked in...

"vlack, what filesystem should I use when I install Linux on my home laptop?"

Oh, poo poo.

equation groupie
Feb 7, 2004

debased and dread pilled
Sorry for the double post, but I forgot! An email came in last week!

quote:

Dear you Apple Store lovers.
The next few times you go to the Apple Store ask them for the Manhattan Declaration app to be put on your phone (see below evidence), as well as the Daily Audio Bible app. There are likely more Christian groups that Apple is singling out and adversely targeting. Apple is caving into homosexual activists, and now actively persecuting Christians and pro life groups.
If you buy their products without spending their time listening to you complain about these policies, then you are condoning Apple's current behavior. Complain to everyone you can in the store about their anti Christian policies, that "I am your customer" "My family has spent over $X buying your products and services" and "your company is now persecuting me." Take as much of their time as you can and still maintain their respect of you. When there is a face on their persecution of Christians, sometimes they will acquiesce. If you good people allow your money to promote bad policies by giving it to Apple, then you have no right to complain when our society as a whole is more wantonly persecuting you, your children, grandchildren, and so forth.
May it stop here! OK?

$clientname

The Apple Store also shut down the Manhattan Declaration app because this pro-family, pro-life, pro-religious freedom document signed by more than 500,000 people could allegedly "harm" people.

My favorite is the bolded part (my emphasis). This guy satisfies the vying internal forces of having strong religious opinions and an intense love for Apple by...

... wasting the time of their $10/hour sales people.

Surely I am impressed by his courageous moral stand.

equation groupie
Feb 7, 2004

debased and dread pilled

vlack posted:

My favorite user walked in...

"vlack, what filesystem should I use when I install Linux on my home laptop?"

Oh, poo poo.

Welp, here's round two.

:corsair: So, on my laptop that I want to install Linux on, I've repartitioned it and formatted one of the partitions to exFAT. I can install Linux on that, right?
:eng99: Not exactly. What I would do is just Google for 'Ubuntu dual boot' and-
:corsair: I've done that!
:eng99: ... OK, well, my first hit was the Ubuntu wiki. It has a heading for if you've installed Windows first and then want to install Ubuntu.
:corsair: Yeah, I read that.
:eng99: So, did you run into any problems with those instructions?
:corsair: No, I was just thinking that, you know, since you've done this before you might be able to help me prevent having any problems if I try to follow them. Like, in case there are any pitfalls.

Look, guy, while I believe that I can accurately predict that you will have problems trying to do this, I'm not going to begin to try to guess what they are going to be. That's a sure way to drive any remaining sanity from my head. Also, why is it that the first thing that comes out of your mouth isn't remotely the question you actually want to ask?

Bonus: When I asked him why he wasn't going to just SSH in to our server from home rather than try to install Linux and Windows together on a laptop, he informed me that the laptop was not for work at all and he was planning to send it back to his family in Zimbabwe so that they can learn "bash scripts, C programming, and all the other stuff you can't do on Windows".

Edit:

Ensign Expendable posted:

I didn't know that you could make Ubuntu not work.

I promise to report back next week and let you know precisely how you can make Ubuntu not work.

equation groupie
Feb 7, 2004

debased and dread pilled

HalloKitty posted:

Yeah!

You come back and you can just kick back and relax since all your email is gone. Unless the person emailing you doesn't know of that policy and they just wonder why the gently caress you never did the super important thing they asked. I have a feeling the latter is what actually would happen :(

You know, this reminds me. Everyone in this thread is always complaining about people who apparently need to store every email since the dawn of time (... I myself am like this, but my email archive goes back 6 years and is less than 1GB, so I dunno how people are amassing multi-GB mail stores). I tend to meet people who do the opposite. If I send someone an email and they don't read it, then it "didn't come through". I can see in the logs that it did, in fact, "go through". In some cases, I look in their Outlook and I find they already read it, but they just forgot.

It's like if it isn't in the first in the list of unread emails, it's deleted forever.

equation groupie
Feb 7, 2004

debased and dread pilled
Not exactly a ticket, but still relevant to this thread:

What is the WORST commit message you have ever authored?

(This, which links to the above, came in via email over the staff mailing list as a suggestion from one of our bosses to all of our developers, so it's sort of a reverse ticket. Or possibly a ticket preventing ticket.)

equation groupie
Feb 7, 2004

debased and dread pilled
Today saw another visit from my favorite user, :corsair:.

2-3 weeks ago, I was asked to set up a new server and a new SVN repository so that he can work with an outside contractor. He's working with the contractor on an important project, but it took me a few days because I had to set up a separate server for him, not just a new repo on our main dev server (which would have taken just a few seconds). They told me it was important, affecting his ability to get work done, etc.

Today, :corsair: comes into my office and asks if I could help him with something because he's busy with other things. He takes me over to his desk, logs into a webserver with FTP, and selects a bunch of files, and asks me to copy them into the repository I set up. Apparently this entire time, neither he nor the contractor has used it once!

I told him I was happy to copy files into SVN for him (:suicide:), but that it would just a be a simple copy->paste->commit cycle, and he could probably do it himself if he wanted. He seemed happy with that, and asked me how to do it, but when I asked him where he had checked out the repository I set up for him, he told me he hadn't done it yet. OK, let's do that first, then -- but he looked up at me in all seriousness and said "Well, that's why I wanted you to do it, so I could concentrate on something else right now".

Really? You're a web developer who is too busy to figure out how to check out an empty repository (one that, two weeks ago, you couldn't proceed without) and copy some files into it? gently caress you, you lazy loving rear end in a top hat.

Bonus: At the end of this conversation, his attention turns to something on his screen, he clicks his mouse, and his eyes get loving HUGE. I've never seen eyes this big before. He gets a look of pure terror on his face. Anyone want to guess what happened?

He had changed to an empty directory the FTP server, and thought that he had deleted all of the files of the website he was working on.

equation groupie
Feb 7, 2004

debased and dread pilled

FeloniousDrunk posted:

So yeah, someone noticed that all of the computers in a lab at the university I work at had been left logged in. I handle the authentication server for the workstations, so I have a look. Lo, 62 machines currently logged in under one account. Never saw that before. Network security notified, etc. etc. Turns out it's a professor entering some kind of online contest. She was warned, reminded to log out. Her response? "Well, how many computers can I be logged in to at the same time?". Today I made a chart of her machine usage (warning, huge). Each bar is one workstation.

1) Might want to edit out the very bottom left of your image there.
2) What did you use to make that graph? It's cool.

equation groupie
Feb 7, 2004

debased and dread pilled

modeski posted:

"That really doesn't mean anything. The system that makes those orders and the system that schedules the installs are not connected at all."

That is just loving beautiful.

equation groupie
Feb 7, 2004

debased and dread pilled

Null Set posted:

gorillas.bas

C:\ONGRTLNS.W95?

(Does anyone have a better scan of this image somewhere?)

equation groupie
Feb 7, 2004

debased and dread pilled

Crowley posted:

The lovely result of taking sick days out of PTO. :(

My brother in law works in healthcare, and they do this.

I just don't understand the short-sightedness. There are people whose whole jobs are management of healthcare professionals! How do you not know that this is a bad idea!

Stonefish posted:

I don't get it.

It was a print ad from Apple when Windows 95 launched.

equation groupie
Feb 7, 2004

debased and dread pilled
I changed the email server authentication backend last night. Most users were aware of the change, and what their new password would be, but there are some off-site users that I couldn't connect with before I made the change. I expected that there would be 2-3 tickets about this, but I didn't expect such hyperbole:

quote:

Something from <company> is killing my email. Continuous pop ups and requests for passwords.

That's such a histrionic way to tell me "My password isn't working".

equation groupie
Feb 7, 2004

debased and dread pilled
The on-site project manager wanted me to create an empty wiki page for him, so he and other employees could fill it in later.

I started to explain how he could create the page, but he interrupted me with, "but I want YOU to create the page!".

Being asked to do stuff like this just makes me mad. It's something so trivial that I feel it's demeaning for it to be delegated. It would take you just as long to edit the page after I create it as it would to just create it yourself. gently caress.

This is the same guy who wanted me to download content from FTP (using credentials that only he had, until he assigned me this task) and check it in to SVN for him. When I started to explain how to do it, he just interrupted me with "Well, it'd be a lot easier if you would just do it."

He's a developer for our website and uses SVN and FTP every day.

gently caress this guy, he makes me so mad.

equation groupie
Feb 7, 2004

debased and dread pilled
A ticket went out... to a vendor (you might say the are an ally of macs, if you catch my drift) from my dad, who was having trouble with a bit of hardware he bought recently:

My dad posted:

I recently bought this external enclosure with the intention of booting off of it with either firewire800 or esata. I find that I can install Snow Leopard on the drive and boot fine using USB, but neither FW nor sata work.
...(further description)...
I have a 750GB Seagate drive installed in the enclosure...
...(further description)...
Is the box supposed to allow booting from FW?

The vendor posted:

Dear Customer:
Thanks for contacting technical support.
You may need to update the firmware of the firewire port and how large is the hard disk you place into SUAB2 enclosure?
Please advise.

:ughh:

My dad posted:

It's a 750GB drive. How do I update the firmware?

The vendor posted:

For <model number> to support bootable firewire port, it needs to upgrade the firmware.
If you can go to https://www.dropbox.com
Sign in with: michwj@<major free email provider> 
Password: <stupidly simple all lower case password>

And download the files from folder “Firewire Boot of <model number>”, read the firewire bootable guide first and perform the firmware upgrade then.

Please note after upgrading the firmware, the enclosure <model number> does not fully support 3TB hard disk. The max capacity would be 2TB instead.

Please do NOT share such dropbox with any unrelated 3rd party.

Are you loving kidding me? You host your company's user-facing technical support files on a Dropbox account? What the gently caress!

equation groupie
Feb 7, 2004

debased and dread pilled
I forgot about this one from last week.

It was Friday. I had had several conversations with my problem user all day long, and had told him at least once that information that he'd wanted was on the wiki. However, that didn't stop him from calling me (twice), emailing me, and texting me, an hour after I left.

"Hey vlack I can't log on to the wiki please fix this immediately."

I couldn't answer his calls until I got home anyway, and when I finally did, I logged on to the VPN to try the wiki myself. This is what I see:

So I logged in. It works. I called him back and asked him what problem he was having.

:confused: "Well, it says the ACLs aren't set up and it's denying access to everyone!"

:doh:

This tells me he's never even logged into the wiki before, even though he asked me at one point a couple of weeks ago to create a blank page on it so that someone else could add information he wanted to it, and even though he'd specifically asked me for information that was on the wiki earlier that day.

I still don't know what it is he's supposed to be doing for this company.

Upside: he's out of the country for four weeks starting Tuesday :).

equation groupie
Feb 7, 2004

debased and dread pilled

Erwin posted:

Oh come on, does that really bother you these days?

Yes, goddammit, it does.

equation groupie
Feb 7, 2004

debased and dread pilled

Guy Axlerod posted:

To be fair:

This is on v14.

I'm on v13 (is v14 the current developer version? I thought this was supposed to update automatically), but I get that page if I go to http://nxdomain. However, using https gives you a different error page.

Kinda weird, really.

Edit: just kidding, I don't get that exact page. I do get a page without the "DNS is the web service" text thought:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

equation groupie
Feb 7, 2004

debased and dread pilled

repugnant posted:

Allocating Word more resources? Is that even a thing?

Of course.