Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Etherealm posted:

The one that takes the cake is this one though:

The network is slow.
Oh god yes. "The network" is apparently the source of everyone's woes. Usually this is code for "some particular website that we don't control is slow." Occasionally it translates as "Windows takes too long to boot and I'm impatient." The network is occasionally seen causing trouble with its mischievous cohort, "the server."

My favorite call ever -- we have a ticketing system, but I get most of my calls directly from my users via pager -- all I could get out of the user was "My words are gone." I gave up on deciphering that one by phone and went to take a look. This user's My Documents folder -- we're a Windows shop -- had been previously remapped to a private network folder, and had reverted to the default local location. So she opened up My Documents and all of her Word documents -- her "words" -- weren't there. She could think of no better way to describe the problem, apparently. She's a nice lady and normally much more eloquent. No idea what was going on that day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Another common one:

"The Internet's not working."
"Can you get to Google?"
"I don't know."
"Can you try right now, please?"
*click click click*
"Yeah, that works."
"So what can't you get to?"
"Well, there's this site..."

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

HypeTelecon posted:

I've worked several places where it didn't really matter what "part" of IT you were in...you just did anything and everything that was dropped on your desk.
That's me. If it has a transistor in it, they think I'm a subject matter expert. Mostly I'm just willing to think about it and do a little research, which is what sets us apart.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Both user and caller for us, if they're not the same person.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Doc Faustus posted:

There's something about science people that makes them include every detail about the equipment they use, despite none of the IT people knowing what it is, nor caring. :science:
I'll take that any day over the useless, information-free tickets.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Inverse Icarus posted:

The PM then proceeded to schedule four meetings over the next week where we explained to him, and him alone, why there was a BWC issue, what we did to minimize the impact, and how there was no way around it.

It was like talking to a brick. An angry brick.
Project managers are the bane of my existence.

I'm getting PM training soon. I must become the enemy :ninja:

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Hoppy posted:

:bahgawd: I shouldn't have to order one you should have sent me one!
But you did send them one :psyduck: Or the manufacturer did, anyway.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
God dammit you stupid motherfuckers I do not know how to fix everything electronic do not ask me why your TV is getting bad reception

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

haljordan posted:

They expect you to restore their files from your hidden magical tape drive that exists in the same fantasy land they live in?
Exactly.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Spazz posted:

This has never been a problem since I've started working here because we imposed that rule about a year ago. We sent out a district wide e-mail where everybody and anybody gets it, they had to sign a piece of paper with the terms of the loan with the laptop and it explains this, and it was mentioned at our presentation to all teachers and staff at the beginning of the year. At least 4 people expected us to magically fix it when we had to reimage their machine. :bang:

This year has been better though. :)
At a financial firm in my city, storing any data on local machines is a firing offense. No second chances, just fired, period. We won't do anything even remotely approaching that, of course, since we're pretty much our users' bitches. :sigh:

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Golbez posted:

I am simply amazed that these people aren't fired on the spot. Sure, I keep some minor passwords in a text file, but then again, I'm not potentially responsible for unleashing a contagion.
This is so not the only sensitive industry where this happens. Security procedures at top levels in many major organizations are absolutely horrifying.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
The thing that really disgusts me is that the policies are faithfully carried out at the bottom of the totem pole, but as you get higher and higher into management, where the really sensitive, important information is? That's where it all falls apart, because apparently a Ph.D renders you unable to remember a password that isn't your initials (Mr. Osborne, may I be excused? My brain is full), and they demand exemption from policy. Which of course they get since they can fire the people responsible for enforcing policy.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

haljordan posted:

They don't have to fire those people...Typically they just say "Hey, do this now" and I say "Sure, because I like having money and don't want to be broke living on the street fighting a dog for scraps of meat."
Well, yeah. It's like chess: the implied threat is enough.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

cr0y posted:

1) When someone from work will call me and I am away from my phone, they leave a voice mail message saying "hey call me back when you get this". Oh thanks, If it wasn't for your informative voice mail I might have thought that you called me on accident and indeed don't actually have to talk to me.
I hate this too, but it's definitely not just a work problem. People do this all the time.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
For us it's the opposite -- it's the secretaries of our VIPs who think they're hot poo poo. The people in actual serious rules are all super nice.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

CraigK posted:

After reading this thread, I get the idea that, even though I can't code anything more complex that a DOS 6.0 batch file, I'm still smarter than 99.999% of users with computers and could probably get a job solving simple computer problems like "can't open file.exe help!"

Are most computer users really this stupid?
Remember that you only hear about the really bad ones. But most of the kind of stuff you tend to see on helpdesk is pretty simple, yes.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Knock on wood, I've put a Rocketfish Bluetooth kb+m set in place and so far it's tooling along okay.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Akaikami posted:

Is it always going to be this vague?
Oh, lord yes. You'll be lucky if they don't contain misinformation.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

syphon posted:

But you didn't say 'that's not my job' you said 'I'll do it when I get time, I'm busy'.
He gave the other employee the name of the department responsible for it. I don't know what things are like in your workplace, but if I leave a ticket open in the helpdesk database, maintenance will never see it. They have their own separate system.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Mr Dog posted:

If I may offer an explanation of the "Storing important poo poo in the Deleted Items folder" phenomenon: There is a broken metaphor at work here, just not the one you're thinking of. It's the inbox. In the physical world, an inbox is a place where you store things you haven't read yet, or haven't started to work on, then file it away somewhere (at least I assume this is how offices worked back when paper existed for reasons other than presentation notes and billing/legal documents). On every email system ever, INBOX means "the root of your home directory, where any mail intended for you gets dumped". This kind of works, but then they all confuse matters by having 'read' and 'unread' states for mail, which are set automatically.
It's not broken so much as improperly utilized -- that's what your calendar and task list are for. I highly recommend Merlin Mann's Inbox Zero presentation, viewable here. It's an hour long but a good watch.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I see things like that regularly... and all our tickets are put in by the helpdesk staff :sigh:

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Sorry you were canned, but you really could have handled that better. When you get someone who doesn't know anything at all and clearly doesn't want to, you need to make your questions more idiot-proof, and frame your questions in terms your user is more comfortable with.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Superhaus posted:

She wants IE installed on her Windows machine. Yeah, I know FF is the default browser, but she doesn't know how to use the Start menu at all? How is this possible?
Oh lord, most of my users don't know how. It's pretty common really. Put an icon on her desktop and she'll be satisfied.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Casao posted:

Ha ha holy poo poo $6/hr.
That's approximately the federally mandated minimum wage -- or was? looks like it went up and I didn't notice? -- but if your employees are paid more it just proves the point even more sharply.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I got an email today about an issue with a computer, with no details. Called the user, who was in a meeting, but her secretary is a smart lady and made her write me a note explaining the problem.

I arrived. The contents of the note: "Files deleted from my desktop computer."

What files? Who knows? I'm unclear on how I'm supposed to know what files were deleted and where they were.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Haha, every single one of those things applies to me, including the last one. We even have software that needed an older version of Java.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

ab0z posted:

As much as I hate those loving "mojave experiment" commercials, they're right. Anyone who "heard vista had some problems" has never used it. Also, 97% of the attendees at ITT hate it for no reason, I can't figure out why. They bag on microsoft all the time, yet they all have jobs only because they fix microsoft stuff all day.
Can someone please call me when it's no longer cool to hate microsoft?
It's pretty much no longer cool to hate Microsoft in most places anyway, ITT and Slashdot excepted.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I gave in the other day and bought an iPod (I've been rocking a Zune since they were first launched). While I was in the Apple store I heard a smug customer talking to a smug support guy there about how she bought a Mac for college and her friends made fun of her for paying so much, and their computers were hosed up pretty soon and hers lasted four years. It would have been very weird for me to interrupt a conversation I wasn't involved in, so I didn't say anything. But the WinXP-based Dell I bought for college -- which wasn't top-of-the-line when I bought it -- lasted me seven years, and it still works perfectly. I only bought a new machine because I wanted something faster and enough components needed upgrading that it wasn't worth doing it piecemeal.

Neither one really "just works," and how long they last is a function of how well you care for them.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Laptops connected via wireless is one example. I'm sure there are others.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Oh. My. God.

Mostly I support senior staff, but I also support a building full of lower-level employees. I reimaged a laptop for one of those employees on Friday. She needs some specialized software beyond what's required in the normal image, so I needed to install that too. She asked me if I could come down right away to image it because she had to get to a meeting off-site. I'm pretty responsive to time-sensitive requests, so I say sure and come down.

After it's done imaging, I need information from her, including which specialized software packages she needs. She repeatedly wanders off on me without a word, while I need more info from her. I find her in various places -- in an office she's working out of (not hers) 300 feet and three rooms away, in someone else's cubicle shooting the poo poo, basically anywhere but where she belongs. Odd behavior for someone who claims to be in a hurry.

Eventually it's done and I give it to her. Everything works great, including network connectivity.

Sometimes I monitor my email over the weekend, sometimes not. My role doesn't require anything from me over the weekend, so mostly it's just whether it occurs to me to check in. If there's a bona fide emergency my boss will know before I do and call me. This weekend I didn't check it until early Monday morning before work. I found I had received an email from her shortly before midnight on Friday night saying that she can't get it to work with her home network and could I please call her over the weekend.

Um, no? We don't support home networks, not to mention it's a huge pain in the rear end to troubleshoot an unknown home router over the phone, plus... Well, I hate to denigrate a person's worth, but you are a low-level employee and it's the weekend. Go away and stop treating my time like it's your time. (I didn't say this to her. Not yet, anyway.)

I feel like I come off like an rear end in a top hat putting it that way, but... this is work. I like what I do, but I expect to be paid when I work, and this is substantially outside of my responsibilities. I try to be a nice guy and I'll give some advice on home stuff if it's simple and I have time. But it's not my job and when I do someone a favor I don't appreciate being treated as if it were.

When I got to work Monday morning I wrote her a quick note explaining that I hadn't checked my email over the weekend and she could give me a call and I'd try to offer a few suggestions but that troubleshooting an unknown home router is difficult when I can't work directly with the device. I gave her my office phone and pager numbers.

She paged me shortly after hours on Monday. Now annoyed, I ignored it and figured I'd talk to her today (Tuesday), but she wasn't in the office today. She paged me again tonight at 9:45pm. I ignored it again and I will make sure I track her down and talk to her tomorrow.

Am I being unreasonable? We aren't part of the regular helpdesk, but we still do mostly desktop support, which isn't usually a 24x7 on-call sort of role. I don't think it's asking too much not to be called by low-level employees way, way after hours or on the weekend, when I'm not being paid. I don't think I'd mind even that so much if she weren't acting as though I'm obliged to help her. I don't want to be nasty to her, but I think it's time to sit her down.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Hawzy posted:

Get your manager involved, make him rip her a new one.
Yeah, that's probably good advice, might be a more diplomatic solution than me doing it. Thanks.

Sir Nigel posted:

You probably shouldn't have given your pager number to her... Office phone is fine and all because its, well, your office phone and I'm assuming it doesn't ring your house when you're not there so the worst she can do is leave you a ton of voicemails on your work mailbox.
Nah, most of my work comes to me via pager, it's our standard way of doing things. The whole site has my pager number. My work cell phone number, however, I guard jealously. I'm not actually obliged to wear my pager during off-hours.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Nybble posted:

Now, I know they mean porT number, but it still makes me giggle.
Today I was helping set up a warrantied smartphone and the secretary calling to activate the phone fat-fingered Verizon's number by one digit. She had it on speakerphone. We heard: "To talk to ladies all over the country, call 1-" before she cut it off.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Crowley posted:

Why do you have both a pager and a cell phone? :psyduck:

Actually, why does anyone have pagers any more? This is the 21st century.
I agree it's ridiculous, but there are two main reasons:

- Cell phone service is extremely bad in one of the buildings, despite the fact that it's perfect right outside and we're on Verizon, which is usually the strongest in the area. The pager gets service no problem.

- If I give a user my cell phone number, and they call and I'm busy and don't answer, they get pissed. If they page me and it takes a little while for me to call back, they don't seem to mind.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

CitizenKain posted:

We occasionally receive tickets from our help desk that have no information at all, or the information is wrong.
Count your lucky stars if the things your helpdesk writes are actually in coherent English. Sometimes I can't even tell what ours is trying to say.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I can't think of anything like that happening to me offhand, but I do love it when new policies are instituted, no exceptions, and then the people instituting the policies realize it will affect them too and go about exempting themselves from the new policies.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Our users understand exactly what's happening when they get that message, they just don't care. Their response is to ask for an increased mailbox size.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Just tried the Notepad trick myself. Didn't work. I gather this was fixed in the version of Notepad that shipped with Vista?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
My users do similar things on the phone when they call me. I think users pre-script conversations in their heads before entering into them, and stick to the script even if you don't.

"Can you come take a look at my computer?"
"Sure. What problem are you having?"
"Thanks!" <click>

My favorites are when they don't tell me who they are, and have the same "thanks!" response to that question. Sorry, I don't have all of your voices memorized.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Well, presumably there's a power hookup and it cools the wine, right? Otherwise you're pretty much rackmounting a box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Fishstick posted:

So where do you draw the line? Do you ghost all machines? If not, what about files saved outside of backed-up locations? You'll virtually always have users going outside IT guidelines or saving poo poo in Recycle Bin and still blaming it on you. In a perfect world you'd make sense, but people don't care about things that are documented until it's too late or it directly affects them RIGHT NOW.
We handle backups for fileserver data, and while users occasionally lose data, after the policy was in place for a while people started to understand that we could only help them if they followed our guidelines on where to store their documents. Once in a while we still have a user lose something, but believe it or not they actually don't blame us... and several people who are high up in my organization love us because we've saved their bacon with it.