Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
CrackTsunami
Sep 21, 2004
I enjoy the eating of babies.

Etherealm posted:

It looks like my current job. I work in networking and we often get tickets along the lines of 'The Internet is slow'. So what, seriously, I can't guarantee the speed of the internet. Worst is, all these tickets are opened by our call center by employees trained for this. So you'd think they'd make half decent tickets, but apparently no, they can't.

The one that takes the cake is this one though:

The network is slow.

There is nothing else, it just says the network is slow. Well, we have about 350 buildings on our network, would you please have the decency to tell me which part of my network is slow? Once, one of these tickets that made it to us was from the Windows team, so we actually looked at it. They were saying that our network was slow from where they were (their PC are at 1Gbps, the distribution layer connects to the access layer via 4 (2x2) 1gbps links in portchannel to the backbone which connects at 10Gbps up to their cluster who's at 4x1gbps).

After telling them to check their servers, they came back to us saying the cpu was fine, nothing else. After getting the Unix team in (they can generate an insane amount of bandwidth somehow), we tested every single link one by one, even the 10Gbps to see if our equipments were at fault. They were not. The problem came from Windows share who became very slow when a lot of users were browsing them. And who figured that out? Funny enough, it was the Unix team. :downsbravo:

We often get tons of software error tickets, because everything is the fault of the network. Almost none of these tickets are descriptive, so we actually have to call back the person and ask them, for the second time, what is the problem.

I work on a team managing a WAN/LAN that is state-wide (NSW, AU) and has 180 campuses attached with at least ten switches for each location. It's really awesome to get calls like this - no location, an incorrect phone number and that's it. It'd be nice even if they told us where they were so we could check the switch for alarms.

The worst part is that we're sopposed to be Tier 3, Tier 2 refuses to troubleshoot anything if it even looks remotely network related and we end up with poo poo like fried nics and port patching in our queue which is slightly ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrackTsunami
Sep 21, 2004

Gorfob posted:

Please tell me you are not from the DET :(

No but my fiance works on the data warehouse team there and things appear to be just as bad.

CrackTsunami
Sep 21, 2004

Beary Mancrush posted:

Get them to take a cameraphone picture. That's what I try to do. You can go for hours trying to figure out what they're talking about. People have a hard time describing connectors because they really don't have any point of reference. Everything looks the same.

Sounds like he's talking about a PS/2 port, though.

I've taken to sending people a jpg of fibre connectors when we need to send out media converters now. Turns out SC and LC apparently look similar if you're an idiot! The best is when they somehow are convinced that the SC connector they're looking at is MTRJ.

CrackTsunami
Sep 21, 2004
edit: removed

CrackTsunami fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Mar 7, 2010

CrackTsunami
Sep 21, 2004
You should also be looking at policing the link at your side to be honest, if it's bursting above 1.54 on a T1 then it honestly sounds like a ethernet hand off with soft policing on their side to allow bursting.

Do you have access to the router with the T1 interface? Is it a serial hand off?

We get this poo poo all the time with one of our remote sites, it's a frame relay with CIR of 64k, burst of 128k but the carrier says that we use 512k at times - flow exports show less than 48k output, we rate limit our side and do adaptive shaping based on fecn/becn. Since the contract states that all frames over CIR will be marked DE and discarded if required but they don't honour DE marked frames we've managed to dispute it for a few years running now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrackTsunami
Sep 21, 2004

devmd01 posted:

Hollly poo poo. About the only way WSUS is big and scary is if you have thousands of apps that are absolutely mission-critical and can't afford the time to test updates on them. The time spent on doing updates manually could be used to do update testing, not to mention the gain of user productivity.

I've been on a rampage lately with WSUS and policies, as nobody has touched the WSUS server here in two years. Hello computers with 300+ updates needed!

This setting is particularly useful if you have lots of branch offices and are managing them via one central WSUS server.

Another team at work tried to distribute SP3 via SCCM using BITS and it went horribly wrong. We'd just installed a Citrix accelerator at the site and we thought it was this. Re-patched the WAN circuit, no change. Checked the site switches to make sure there were no forwarding loops, no issues.

We didn't know that they had done this, of course, and being the network team were basically looking at a 2000+ user site being down until we could figure out what the gently caress. Eventually after doing packet captures we realised that BITS had failed and had fallen back to SMB. 2000 users downloading a 300mb+ file over a 10mbs circuit with no shaping due to licensing issues on our router.

Naturally this was all happening at 2am and no one from that team was answering their phone. Really satisfying to just shutdown the port to the server and let them deal with it in the morning.

CrackTsunami fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jul 27, 2010