Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
syphon^2
Sep 22, 2004
I work on the Build & Deployment Team for a large Internet software development company. This means my job (aside from handling Builds and Deployments) covers basic investigation of Test Environment problems, configuration issues, and Problems Nobody Else Wants To Deal With.

All of my users work in Software Development (devs, testers, or PMs). It frustrates me to no end the number of support requests I receive that simply say 'The site is not working please investigate'. FYI, 'the site is not working' can mean either the hostname/IP was not found, the web server is timing out, it's throwing a 404/friendly 404, the HTML content isn't rendering properly, product searches aren't returning results, or test purchases are failing. No error messages. No repro steps. No expected/actual behavior, just 'the site is not working'.

Jesus Christ, people! How can you work in Software Development, yet write worse bugs than my mother when she calls me because her e-mail stopped working! (father deleted the gmail shortcut from the desktop).

Also, people only come to me if they're blocked, so nearly every e-mail I get informs me of how many people I'M PERSONALLY BLOCKING (by not having fixed their problem yet) and demand an estimate on a fix (when I still have to fight with them to get enough information to even start diagnosing their problem).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU