Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Getting competent people to call you with issues is so rare it is a shock when they happen. Mostly because the competent people don't need to call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

I just do phone support and chewing/gum eating is so loving grating I want to punch a baby. That and coughing into the phone. Who the gently caress does that!?! Also when they call in about their loving lovely DVR/CCTV crap and I ask them to check something - "Oh, I'm driving right now can't you just fix it" "..." gently caress!

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

I had someone call in yesterday about installing an SSL cert and he was on Windows 2000 Server. Yeah no wonder it didn't recognize the trust chain.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

I had an interesting one today. My company does domain registrations so we also offer whois privacy as a paid service. So this guy calls up and says his whois privacy wasn't working. He then explains that when someone does a nslookup on his domain, gets the IP address and then does a whois lookup on the IP and his information was displayed and this meant our service wasn't working. :shepface:

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Fair as in light I guess?

edit: Also just checked and my inbox is 6.7 GB in size :v: maybe I should clear it out a bit.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Went into work today despite the blizzard. Gonna enjoy the nice quiet office :)

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

We have a dishwasher and mugs people use. Recently I went to the storage and took a new mug and have made sure to hold on to it and wash it myself. It will be replaced though by my 2011 linux on the desktop mug once it arrives :) Also I don't see the phobia against drinking from whatever mug you grab if they're washed. How is it any different from a restaurant?

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

MiddleNotch posted:

Imagine a place full of 50 somethings secretaries surrounded by young people. Add 1 Democrat. The young people somehow get the email from the caty 50 year olds. Chaos ensues. In fact before I left they made a rule that emails contained no "ideals or thoughts from individuals governing political parties".

Some even quit from it.

:stare:

Go ooooooooon.....

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

m2pt5 posted:

There is a feeble in-story excuse for that, but it's not entirely typical of all recent anime.

However, that particular anime is one of the handful that is banned from ADTRW, so don't take it as entirely representative.

It also saved Gonzo financially from being shut down :eng101:

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

rscott posted:

We overnighted a CD with a 14MB excel file on it because between our idiot user and the one for the other company we were supposed to send this file to they could not figure out how to get this to work. :eng99:

We paid a few hundred dollars to ship an empty box from Germany to here (US). We didn't know it was empty at the time but it was still pretty :downs: when I opened it up.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

afflictionwisp posted:

Surely there must be more to this story. What was supposed to be in the box?

There were 2 boxes being held in storage in the datacenter, which we didn't find out about until we asked them what the 25 Euro a month charge was on the bill. When asked for pictures they sent some crappy pics of the outside of the boxes. So we just emailed them some shipping labels and they sent them back. One had a server and the other was empty!

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Hawzy posted:

So apparently my new Dell laptop has this weird form factor that makes it so old COM ports on a flat cable won't actually connect.

gently caress you flat cable, you work for me! I had to bend all that plastic out of the way to actually be able to connect it.
http://yfrog.com/h2c52oej

Our Dell servers are like that. Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Kyrosiris posted:

No, but if you work in a data center, the users who rent those servers sure as hell threaten to! :v:

I actually had a user threaten to "blow [my] head off if you don't get my SMTP online now" once. (His SMTP was being filtered because he had 37 active spam abuse tickets and was on like 25 RBLs.)

That's when you invite them to visit the datacenter and trap them in the mantrap at the entrance. That is when you let the gas into the room...

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Kyrosiris posted:

Sadly our mantrap was lacking gas. You could also easily just walk out of the mantrap back to outside if you got frustrated (or gas was pumped in, either or).

That's not a very good trap :/

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Moved our small office datacenter of a few racks from one building to another last night. Kinda nerve wracking when the moving company is moving our whole 4 post rack as is out of the room and onto a truck. Luckily no major issues though we did blow a breaker at the new place :v:

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Cleared out the root inbox for one of our domains. 150k unread email messages!

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Next day delivery for a case fan, thanks Dell!
*Huge rear end box relative to fan's size comes in*

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

A guy who is notoriously not good at figuring things out puts in a ticket. "Need cord". Says his headset's power cord is missing so his headset doesn't work. I ask him what specific cord he is missing. Says he doesn't know. I link him to the Plantronics site for accessories for him to find the cord he needs and link it to me. He says he doesn't know still and I should just know. So I'm over where he sits and its after hours and I'm talking to one of his coworkers I'm friends with. Out of curiosity I look at his headset and of one on another desk. Both have no power cords. I look at the guys set up and he has the headset plugged into the handset port on the box. These have little pictures telling you what to plug into where. I tell my friend about it and he just sighs and says "I know he's an idiot. Why do you have to prove it to me with empirical evidence?".

He also sent in another request with the subject "need supplies". The body is just "I need a drawer please". My boss sees this come in as were talking, stops what he is doing, grabs a printer drawer we had and walks over and places it on his desk. Tells him here is your drawer and he can't send any more requests in and walks away.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Telex posted:

Honestly, that monochrome looks sorta awesome if you'd you know... :effort:

I am ordering all white cables from now on. It's a pity those shoretels are stuck with their horrible orange faceplates.

When I was at one of our Datacenters a cage on the same hallways as us had all their racks set up with white cable. It was a mess though so it didn't look that good. Also could've been because of the red and blue accent lights everywhere in the DC :v:

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

We used OpenFire at work but then it started crashing every 24 hours. We ended up building and deploying ejabberd on a FreeBSD VM in a weeks time and that has been working a lot better. The power of Erlang :science:

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Not really a ticket but did anyone else get affected by L(3)'s poo poo blowing up? We also got a DDoS at the same time :v:

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

I think 80%+ of the office (100+ people) uses MacBook Pros and the sales people were able to finagle getting MacBook Airs so now we have around 15/20 less than one year old Macbook Pros being replaced by Airs :v:

In other "ticket" items...getting stuff back from the Hong Kong datacenter... :smithicide:

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

A VDI implementation would be the best!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

chutwig posted:

code:
-bash-3.00$ w
  3:04pm  up 1600 day(s), 19:59,  19 users,  load average: 8.15, 7.60, 7.29
:smithicide:

We had a customer complain that our service was broken and our poo poo sucks and yadda yadda yadda we ended up spending way more time on it than we should've. It ended up in us pretty much giving them free consulting on multiple levels including rewriting some of our service code as well as writing some of their code. It got to the point where we ended up having them copy and paste a bunch of poo poo from their sending server including processes list. Turned out they were running everything they had on one server and it had a load of 100. No wonder poo poo was dropping ...