Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Icesler
Jul 7, 2005
Ticket Number HD00000012345

Description: User states that computer no longer connects to internet. User also states computer is underwater.

:psyduck:

I go out on the shop floor to check out the PC. The drains clogged up during the rain and the whole department is in 2 inches of water. Computer was sitting on the floor and they were still trying to use it.

Conversation proceeds like this.
Me: "What are you doing?! Turn it off!!!"
Worker: "But I thought only IT can move computer equipment."
Me: "That has nothing to do with turning a computer off!"
Worker: "Hey, I don't make the rules pal."

So I turn the PC off then set it on top of a cabinet to let it dry out until they fix the leak.

Worker: "Well how am I supposed to go on the internet when the computer is on top of that cabinet?!"

:bang:

Icesler fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Dec 17, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icesler
Jul 7, 2005

haljordan posted:

IBM had bomb business support. I think a one year contract for our servers was something like $2,000 but we got replacement parts within four hours. Plus, whenever we called tech support, it wasn't difficult at all to convince them poo poo was broken.

Yes! With Lenovo/IBM usually if you let them know right off the bat everything that you did to come to the conclusion of them problem then they just skip the script and send out a part/tech. Unless it is a new guy, then I think they are too afraid to deviate from the script.

Icesler
Jul 7, 2005
Just got a ticket for speakers not working on a desktop. My co-worker and I check out the machine and replace the speakers to find out the onboard sound is busted.

My coworker goes back to his desk and damewares to the machine. He updates the drivers and notices the xp machine is still on sp2 so he decides to update that as well. We told them not to touch the computer several times and we even left a note on the monitor that says "DO NOT TURN OFF"

The whole time he is trying to update the driver his dameware session keeps kicking him out. He finally gets a good 30 minutes logged in, in the middle of installing SP3 he gets kicked out again. Pretty sure you guys know where this is going.

We call the user and ask him what the hell he is doing. He says "Oh, I couldn't use the PC so I keep pulling the plug out the back and plugging it back in, why? were you guys working on it or something? Oh and you know what? the drat thing won't turn on anymore!"

He then proceeds to ask us to come in over the weekend to replace his machine. We tell him he has to wait until Monday. He just fired off a complaint email to my boss. gently caress.

Icesler
Jul 7, 2005
So apparently one of our low level Directors was preaching in the middle of the office about how IT is the most hated department in every company. That "no matter how nice and intelligent the IT people are, they are weird and they waste all our money."
My level one guy happened to be on the other side of one of the cubes.

Piece of poo poo director then puts in a request to "Upgrade all production manager's with brand new laptops immediately." when almost all of them are running with Lat E6410's.

Close code = Request declined. IT hears everything.

Go gently caress yourself you self absorbed prick.

edit for clarification: He was very recently promoted director of a very small department and he suddenly thinks he is as important as our CEO, CFO, and President combined.

Icesler
Jul 7, 2005

Rohaq posted:

He complained about IT wasting money, then put in a request for brand new laptops that they didn't need?

How is your boss not having words with that man's superiors? I'm sure that they would not be best pleased.

Our IT Director called him up and explained that we only replace laptops on a 3 year basis and/or broken and out of warranty.

douche bag goes to CFO and tells him "IT refuses to support our business process's. They have not been responsive to any issues and no one understands what they do all day."

Mind you, we have two IT project managers directly supporting his production line 24/7. That's like their sole job right now while a new product is being tested.

Now we have to start tracking total amount of time spent supporting each department, generate a value amount of labor + parts + loss of support time to other BU's, and our SLA's are stupid strict now.

Icesler
Jul 7, 2005

Volmarias posted:

Closing the ticket with "IT hears everything." was childish as gently caress, and probably didn't help, but I think that he's just bought himself a ticket to the bottom of the support queue. SLA mandates that the problem is fixed in 48 hours? That's fair, it'll be done on hour 47.

My supervisor requested I put that in the ticket. This is I think the 5th time he has bashed our department. Our SLA is now contact user within 2 hours of ticket placement, we get to take as long as we want repairing any of that directors issues though. So yea, he will be receiving bare minimum treatment from us.

Icesler
Jul 7, 2005
Just got this little gem.

Ticket says: "Unable to send e-mail...please fix ASAP!!!"

Oh! I see there is a screenshot of the error she is receiving. How thoughtful.

http://i.imgur.com/yicu9.jpg

She took a screenshot, printed it out, made a copy for her records, scanned it to PDF and attached it to the ticket.
:psyduck:

Icesler
Jul 7, 2005
We are in the middle of a company wide Office 2010 deployment using Altiris package delivery. Needless to say its been a massive clusterfuck.

I received an emergency ticket stating:
"Software upgrade crashed my computer! I have rebooted 4 times and my outlook is still not working!!"

I call the guy up and he says "look it! Outlook doesn't work right, I got this meeting request and its not showing up in my calender! It is supposed to be for next Tuesday."

I look at what is going on and tell him, "the meeting organizer scheduled the wrong month and you never even accepted the meeting invite. Inform the organizer of the mistake. There is nothing wrong with your outlook."

"....oh so you guys messed up everyone's calendar with the upgrade. I see, thanks!" :downs:

Icesler
Jul 7, 2005

Chet Rippo posted:

Sometimes we get tickets asking us to turn the air conditioning off, because they are too stupid to figure it out...

I have received tickets for "Light bulb burnt out in conference room. Can you please submit a maintenance request to have it fixed?" and "my space heater is broken, please fix ASAP."

People break my brain sometimes.

Icesler
Jul 7, 2005

President Anime 2008 posted:

We had yet another entire-office-moves-around-for-no-loving-reason session over the past few days. For the fourth time this year.

Woo! I am doing the truffle shuffle as well with out accounting department. Except for this is our 7th time moving these people in less than 3 months. Now we are moving two girls into their conference room, moving the conference room (which has a drop down projector screen with ceiling mounted projector.) to another office, people from the other office into the offices of the two girls old offices, and then pretty much playing musical chair with 6 cubicles. Apparently this will "allow proper work flow through the department." There is no power, no drops, no future, and the conference room hasn't been moved yet.

I get to come in this Saturday to complete the move....ticket was placed yesterday. I am seriously thinking about taking a poo poo on every single persons desk that I have to move.

Icesler
Jul 7, 2005
Not really a ticket, just something our boss dumped on us.

Our boss was all pissed off this morning and we asked him what was wrong.
"I have been trying to get this HP Back up server working for over a year and a half! I almost had it working but then I accidentally formatted it and now I can do anything with it!" RAID 1 gone.

He then fucks with it for awhile and comes out yelling "the drat thing needs to run the install from an OS! How the gently caress are we supposed to do that when there isn't on OS on there yet?!"

My level one guy and I look at each other and said "did you try a live disk?"

He gets mad at us and yells "Live disk?! what the hell is that?! I don't know what you guys are talking about!" and storms off.

:sigh: Happy Monday..

Icesler
Jul 7, 2005
I came into work the other day to find 4 missed calls from the same person. This person knows my start time is 7:30am yet decides to repeatedly call me at 7:00am.

I clock in, start reading my emails and ring ring. He is calling me again. I decide to ignore it since there isn't a ticket in the system and he seems intent on not leaving me a voicemail. I start working on an urgent issue for my boss and my phone rings again. It is now 7:36am.

My phone rings 3 more times from the same person. Then I get an email from him, subject line is: "call me." He calls 4 more times while I am helping one of the execs and he leaves blank voicemails.

I email the guy and say "Robert, I am busy at the moment. Please stop calling me and emailing me over and over. If you have an issue, please place a ticket explaining the issue and I will get to it as soon as I am available. Thanks"

Woohoo! Now I am in sensitivity training because I am "rude" and unprofessional to other employees. All this over opening pdf attachments.

Icesler
Jul 7, 2005

rolleyes posted:

Depending on who instigated the training and in what way you were consulted first I'd be tempted to make your own complaint to HR so your side is on record.

For starters, have they even followed their own disciplinary policy? I'm not aware of many companies where the first stage is straight to 'training'.

Nothing has been filed against me. They had our whole department go through the training and left the reasoning vague and anonymous. Our IT manager and my boss are now saying our team needs to have a meeting to discuss how we are viewed within the company and how we are a service department and need to do our jobs with a smile and all poo poo horse poo poo.

I don't understand how its okay for others to not follow policy, be rude to IT, disregard our schedules and priorities, basically treat us like we are supposed to get on our knees and suck their dicks. All because we are a "service" department. I need to get into a new field.
5 year helpdesk vet :smithicide:

Icesler
Jul 7, 2005

Moey posted:

I moved 6 people this morning. :( This is the same department that had all 60 or so people moved no more than 6 months ago. And they have had many other small moves like this. Biggest one that pissed me off was this lady who came into my office saying she needs to be moved. I said I'll be there in about 10 minutes, I am in the middle of something. She came back in exactly 10 minutes and said she is still waiting and that she has work to do. gently caress it, I go to move her, she was moving one cube directly to the left of her old cube.

gently caress this place.

Moey, what state/city/country you in?

Edit: Nevermind, looks like Chicago. I can get you a job in Lexington, Kentucky if you're interested.

Icesler
Jul 7, 2005

geera posted:

I was going to PM you but it appears you don't have platinum... where do you work in Lexington?

I work for Ceradyne, Inc. It's an advanced ceramics and body armor company. I work at headquarters in California but we have an opening in Quapaw, OK and Lexington, KY for a help desk level one guy. I can give more details if you're interested.

I'm going to add it to the job thread. You can email me at kheisler at g mail dot com.

Icesler
Jul 7, 2005
Subject: Hard Drive Krono's

Description:
Hard seem not working properly.Need to check.
Contack Cell Lead

Emergency two hour response. Ticket came in at 4am. The contact is off until Thursday.

Happy Monday everyone.

Icesler
Jul 7, 2005
Second day in a row power has been out in two offices in HR.

They continue to put in ticket after ticket and even walk over to my desk to ask me to fix the power.

I told them it was a maintenance issue and I am not qualified to work on the electrical of the building. I even called maintenance for them and placed a maintenance ticket.

They sent a complaint to the big wigs about IT not fixing the power.

Oh, and I got yelled at by the IT director in front of two users this morning. He was mad that I was transferring a phone from one building to another. He said extension numbers define their device pools and handles 911 routing. I tried to explain that extension numbers are irrelevant and you can place any phone in any device pool. He became furious and stormed off somewhere. Probably getting fired now.

IT director is also afraid that altiris software policies will install Office 2010 on any iphone that attempts to talk to our wireless. :smith:

Icesler
Jul 7, 2005

mllaneza posted:

Where do I send my resume ?

kheisler at ceradyne dot com.

Icesler
Jul 7, 2005

Naramyth posted:

Everyone lies.

Truth.

Today a guys iphone wasn't recognizing his sim card. I look at the phone and there is brown sugary crust all over it.

"Did you spill something on it?"
"Nooooooo"
"Are you sure? Because look at all this dried liquid. A coke maybe?"
"Nooooooo"
"You won't be in trouble and I won't care, I am just asking to make my job easier"
"No, I don't know why there is stuff on there. Maybe it was someone else."
"Alright well please don't let strangers take your company phone and spill coke on it."

Icesler
Jul 7, 2005
Ticket: Conference room at outside facility- VoIP phone and computer have no network connection.

I figure its probably the little linksys switch we have in there is unplugged again. I call up the end user and this was the conversation:

Me: "Hey, so its not connecting? Can you check the switch for me? Normally when these things happen, its just the switch unplugged. I am pretty busy and have some appointments so I can't drive over there until tomorrow."

:byodood:: "um no, I checked the switch and there was a green power light. Pretty sure that is not the issue."

Me: "A green power light indicates the switch is receiving power. It will still show green if the network cable is unplugged. Can you double check to make sure the line from the wall plugs into the switch correctly?"

:byodood:: "Um well I am pretty sure that isn't the problem. I guess I can double check but this really seems like a more serious issue. (5 minutes later) No, still nothing. I checked the cables again just like I did the first time."

I drive over there the next day; switch is unplugged. Plug switch back in, everything starts working, so I drive back to HQ.

Resolution description: "Switch was unplugged."

User calls me immediately.

:byodood:: "So what was the problem again?"

Me: "The switch was unplugged."

:byodood:: "No, I think you are mistaken."

Me: "I plugged it in and the conference room equipment is working now, not sure what you want me to say."

:byodood:: "I don't know. I still think it doesn't work and you didn't fix the problem."

User reopens ticket with comment "Reopening due to questionable resolution."

Icesler
Jul 7, 2005

AutoArgus posted:

So he's too dumb to understand why its broken, but doesn't trust how you fixed it, and really wants to know what the 'real' problem was...

New resolution: "Flux capacitor was missing required jiggawattages. Replaced with standard 1.21"

He is one of our engineers and seems to have severe small man syndrome. He will argue with me over what color blue the sky is.

There was a production PC that had a bad motherboard one time. I was speaking to another engineer about it and told him since it is proprietary, I can't just go and buy a new motherboard and that he would have to contact the vendor.

Small man overheard and preceded to argue that you can take the hard drive out and put it into any computer on the factory floor and it will boot just fine, regardless of motherboard type. We tried to politely explain that he was wrong but he insisted that he "does it all the time at home." He told us that we were morons and took the argument to upper management.

Icesler
Jul 7, 2005
One of our users at a satellite office put in a ticket. "Laptop warranty expired. Please send me a new one." The laptop was purchased exactly 1 year ago.

I close out the ticket saying "If the laptop is in working condition then there is no need for replacement. Our current refresh time is 3yr+"

He re-opens the ticket and claims the wireless doesn't work and it crashes his laptop. I check it out and it works fine at the office. He then says it only crashes when he is at home and that it won't connect to his home network. I inform him that we do not support his home wireless issues. He sends an email to my boss.

Boss has the guy overnight his laptop to me to fix. Lo and behold the wireless works fine, we even used my co-workers hotspot to verify. Boss then sends me to the store to buy a WAP and tells me to set up another wireless network in our office to test again. I try to tell him that there is no problem with the wireless. Boss gets mad that I don't have the network up and testing complete by the end of the day. I tell my boss that production was down and I had to fix that instead of dealing with a bullshit wireless "problem."

Tomorrow I get written up for insubordination. Awesome.

Icesler
Jul 7, 2005

hieronymus posted:

Your boss just might be stupid. Did you explicitly say "hey, this [l]user is trying to scam a laptop? Do we care?"

Yes, we know fully well that all he wants is a new laptop. I even told my boss "I don't care if you want to send him a new laptop, we can do that, that is your decision. Just so you know, if he really is having wireless issues at home, a new laptop will not fix that."

spankmeister posted:

I feel for you dude, because I loving KNOW you'll end up going to his home to fix his crappy wireless.

Seeing how the office location is 3 states over....yes I will probably have to fly out there just to fix his home wireless issue.

I want to YOTJ so bad but they currently have my title as Help desk Tier II when I am actually a sys admin. I was promised a promotion within 6 months to a proper title and pay. I feel like its going to be too difficult to jump from helpdesk to sys admin at a new company.

Icesler
Jul 7, 2005
So I received a verbal warning for insubordination for refusing to continue working a resolved issue. My boss threatened to fire me and then was yelling about how much more experience and skill he has than me. I remained calm and stated that I accept the verbal warning on a professional level. He asked if I really felt bad about the insubordination. I calmly stated that I am accepting it and there is no need to berate me further and I don't feel its necessary to grovel before you to prove that I "feel bad."

I then went to HR and wrote a written statement of what went on. HR told me his side of the story, which 60% is a fabrication but since there was a "witness" that matches his story. I am in the wrong.

Next thing I know, I have the IT director begging me not to quit. Then my supervisor (the one who wrote me up) apologized and took full responsibility for it. I think he even reversed the write up with HR. My two co-workers of our 3 man team would have quit if I was fired anyways. They are now reducing my work load and looking into getting me a better office. Possibly a raise.

Weirdest Friday ever.

Icesler
Jul 7, 2005

Ygolonac posted:

HR - schedule Icesler for mandatory drug testing ASAP, he's hallucinating favourable endings to supervisor warnings/HR interaction.

I feel like I might as well be on drugs. This company is so rear end backwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icesler
Jul 7, 2005

rscott posted:

Symantec takes our company's IT department out for drinks and dinner every 2 months or so and we don't even use any of their products. I wonder what the bennies are when you have 10k seat licenses.

You get zero support from them. We pay them a ton of money and we can't even get them on the phone, much less them trying to take us out for a night on the town.